Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

. Oh, I believe you! Being commissioned as a missionary is an arduous process, and I'm a little surprised Jill was (is?) going to tackle the process. Do you believe her to be taking online courses as well? (I'm GLAD, but surprised.). My opening shot into the working world (when dinosaurs still roamed the earth) was with the SBHMB when it was still called that, on W Spring St in Atlanta.

I read somewhere that he wants to return to Nepal. What language is spoken in Nepal? I'm assuming Derrick picked up at least a functioning bit of that - Jill would be required to learn that too, besides completing the college requirement before they leave, right? I know there is a cap on age for dependents, but what about a baby? Would Iz have to be a certain age? Would they allow them to leave if Jill were pg at the time of departure?

Oh Happy, I had responded to your questions in a nice post and then POOF! my iPad died. LOL. So I'll answer your questions more succinctly.

*I don't know for sure that they are pursuing this through the SBC, but some missionaries I'm familiar with in Nepal think so.

*I don't know how Jill is getting her college credits, maybe online?

*Nepalese, Hindi & Tibetan are spoken in Nepal. As well as English, although they'll be required to tackle a language for a couple years to be fluent either in language school or with tutors in Nepal. Derick spent 2 years there as a Journeyman so he probably knows all three languages to some extent, but he'll be required to take formal language study and he'll have to pass oral exams -- the IMB is strict with this. Jill too, her participation is no less strenuous as Dericks. The will both have to master the language and work assignments.

*Age requirements for babies? I'm not sure, but a couple from my church have a one month old and they are going to China with the IMB and by the time they get finished with the stateside training in Richmond and have roughly 3-4 weeks to say goodbye to family and friends their baby will be about 9 -10 months old. A lot of women deliver abroad and do fine, but with someone like Jill who has a history of complications they may require her to return stateside. We had friends that delivered in Malaysia and she had a somewhat complicated birth. The healthcare she received was stellar but there were complications. Thankfully, the mother and daughter are fine.

• Love 2

My corporate career was HR. there are things you NEVER state when asked (and a prospective employer worth their salt knows how to get around the scripted answers), but there are things you can state plainly. It would actually be perfectly acceptable to state that an employee left because they found other employment. Not to "volunteer" the information necessarily, but when asked directly "why did he leave your employment?".

I thought the info HR could legally give out when called about a former employee were dates of employment, job title/duties, and maybe their level of pay? It doesn't help these days that often HR departments are outsourced and have never even met the employees in question.

• Love 1

I really hope Derrick goes that route!  It would be fabulous for Jill to get 2 years of college. I wonder how far her college plus study will get her through credit by exam...

I'd imagine that Jill would have to complete quite a few remedial courses first.

• Love 4

Nepal is primarily a Hindu country but they also have Buddhists. I used to work there and knew some great missionaries who built schools and ran clinics and didn't try to convert. But Derick and Jill will be the ones who want to convert the godless heathens.

• Love 8

I'd imagine that Jill would have to complete quite a few remedial courses first.

No doubt it will be very challenging for her. And online classes can be a lot harder unless you're well disciplined and highly motivated.

• Love 11

I thought the info HR could legally give out when called about a former employee were dates of employment, job title/duties, and maybe their level of pay? It doesn't help these days that often HR departments are outsourced and have never even met the employees in question.

Those are exactly the things you give voluntarily in HR. MOST EMPLOYERS will tell you yes, he/she worked here from __ to __. MOST will not go beyond that. Generally, the bigger the company, the less information you're going to get. You can ASK anything; the other person doesn't have to reply. There are far, far more "legal" questions than most people think, it's just far easier to train your staff that you don't give out anything but job title and employment dates - but it's just to keep people from getting chatty and wandering over the double yellow line. It wouldn't, for instance, be "illegal" for WM to say "he has taken employment elsewhere". WM is a big company, and Derrick was in the corporate offices. I am surprised if they went beyond,"...is no longer with us." Just because bigger is usually less.

• Love 4

Where did the idea that they’re going to Nepal for the medium/long term come from? Sorry if it’s been covered, but I’ve been disconnected from TV and internet lately.  I realize they are dumb, but are they dumb enough to consider taking a 2 month old – how likely isn’t even fully immunized yet – to a developing country recently destroyed in an earthquake??

As for Walmart, sadly I’m not at all surprised -- I had initially predicted a Walmart stint of 12-18 months max.  I know people here disagreed, but I’m sorry in 2015 in corporate America when you have no work experience and come into a Fortune 500 and in the first yr take every single form of vacation, comp time, FMLA, paternity leave, unpaid leave and whatever else – sticking the rest of your team with work that invariably would have been assigned to you if you had been there – you’re not setting yourself up for a long term future at that company. Even if it’s your right to take every single one of those days off --  colleagues tire of always have extra work, and managers start to question whether you’re committed to your job or whether it’s just a hobby. I think if he had been taking time off for something career-developing – say an MBA or a masters in accounting – people may have been annoyed but would have realized that it was a professional activity.  The same cannot be said for interviews and photo shoots for your wife’s family’s TV show.

I’m not suggesting he was fired – I think he likely wasn’t.  I do think someone in management may have given him the heads up that any more time would seriously hurt him (w the undertone that he has spent enough time w that show – given everything going on with Josh), and he may have decided to move on.
I’d be thrilled if he came home that day, told Jill and said – look I’ve done enough with your family and TLC; I have talked to a recruiter in accounting and I have interviews coming up in Oklahoma City, Atlanta, and Dallas and if I get any of those jobs – we are moving and building a life for ourselves independent of your family and TLC.  I mean he is marketable – an accounting major with a yr’s experience at Walmart and the graduate of a big southern state school that likely has alums everywhere in the south.

Realistically though – I think he’ll take a few weeks (months? If they do a short Nepal mission) off and then his Linkedin will be updated to show that he is working at some small business in Arkansas; likely it will be a Christian business owned by a friend of JB or a fellow cult member, which needs some book keeping help and recognizes that Derick’s first obligation will be to his family (i.e. TLC).  Such businesses do exist in those kinds of areas – I believe Chad Paine works as an office/finance manager at metals company near the Bates’s hometown and they have said a friend of theirs owns the company.  I take it Derick has found a similar set up in Arkansas.

• Love 8

Nepalese, Hindi & Tibetan are spoken in Nepal. As well as English, although they'll be required to tackle a language for a couple years to be fluent either in language school or with tutors in Nepal.

I'm sure Jill can't wait to talk over people in their native language.

• Love 16

Ok, just speculating here, but what if Derick quit his job in anticipation of going to Nepal AND having TLC filming so they could support themselves.  There were teasers about a "big decision" being featured on the season that will probably never be seen.

And then... Joshgate.  No more show, and he has already kissed Wal-Mart goodbye.  So on top of knowing that his brother-in-law molested his wife, he also has to come to terms with the fact that he is now out of work and the income source he was counting on is gone, because, Josh.

Timing is everything.

• Love 10

Ok, just speculating here, but what if Derick quit his job in anticipation of going to Nepal AND having TLC filming so they could support themselves.  There were teasers about a "big decision" being featured on the season that will probably never be seen.

And then... Joshgate.  No more show, and he has already kissed Wal-Mart goodbye.  So on top of knowing that his brother-in-law molested his wife, he also has to come to terms with the fact that he is now out of work and the income source he was counting on is gone, because, Josh.

Timing is everything.

Who knows if that happened, but if it did -- you go to Nepal and live the way other missionaries live and do whatever you're tasked to do there. You won't have fat paychecks rolling into your direct deposit from TLC, but I imagine whichever mission group is taking you over there is providing you with lodging and food. So you take said lodging and food, thank God for it, do your work, come back to the U.S. and start over with another corporate job and hopefully a little bit of wisdom re how to handle said corporate job.

Or you scrap the mission and frantically job search for the next few weeks/months while trying really really hard not to impregnate your wife on whatever day you can first have sex again.

• Love 4
(edited)

Timing is everything.

Well, we know Derick was at work as recently as the week when Joshgate broke. Jill said in the Megyn Kelly interview that when she found out what had happened, she "called [her] husband at work." He likely gave notice that Friday, the 22nd; that was the day after the shit hit the fan. Two weeks' notice would have made his last day last Friday, the 5th. Others have noted that he may have just been sent packing right away. All we know is that Pickles claims the robo email was "very recent." I posit that Wally World squeezed the last bit of blood out of that turnip before he moved on. It's the least Derick could do after taking seemingly most of this quarter off. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1
(edited)

Does anyone know when Wal Mart corporate does annual reviews?

Annual reviews are done around the start/end of the fiscal year.  For Walmart that is January 31st.

Edited by CofCinci

The email said that he has already accepted a position outside of Walmart.  If that is the case then he already had another job lined up before tendering his resignation and I'm hoping it's an accounting position anywhere but in Arkansas.

• Love 4

Since Derrick has been doing on line courses for some time I would imagine he might be given a newly position someplace in the US as a start.  A mission would require begging funds from various sources.  I think he is the type who goes to convert, not help in any significant way.  As an independent begging funds he wouldn't have so many requirements thrown at him and Jill.  Certainly Anna's sis Ester and her husband made their way to Zambia and Burundi with no requirements.  His dad begs money for them here in the US and the son only converts those who come to him and beg for information.  3 in a year and a half, I believe.  Not much bang for his buck.

• Love 1

I think it's the short term voluntary route they are taking. They would be 'self sufficient' because I think this is their spinoff and TLC is footing the bill. As far as I know there are no 'reality' shows with a Poisonwood Bible angle, but I would be way more interested in watching Anna's sister and that family than Derrick and Jill. Much more 'interesting'.

That was exactly what I was thinking the TLC Poisonwood Bible (loved the book). I don't know whether I could take as much reality as we'd get with Anna's sister. I think I'd prefer the more fantasy version with Derrick and Jill. They need to have 3 or 4 more kids really fast though to liven it up. 

• Love 1

3 in a year and a half, I believe.  Not much bang for his buck.

Plus, I think these guys were already Christians, just the "wrong kind" of Christians. So he didn't so much convert them as shove them a little bit sideways. .... Very expensive activity.

• Love 7

Does it matter what she studies? Does she need to be at a college or university or would community college suffice? Am curious, but pleased to know that the SBC is so careful in sending people who are prepared out into the world.

Community college would suffice, but I think, don't quote me, Jill would also be required to take theology classes, not sure how many, from an accredited SBC institution or one approved by the SBC.

Community college would suffice, but I think, don't quote me, Jill would also be required to take theology classes, not sure how many, from an accredited SBC institution or one approved by the SBC.

SBC is quite a different theology for Jill. Maybe that can wedge open her mind a little, even if they need to use a (metaphoric) crowbar.

• Love 4

I do not see how Wal-Mart can fire Derick for something Josh did. I think it is more likely he accepted another job in another town.

I have no idea where this Nepal thing came up. Anyone know? Seems like speculation unless I missed something.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm just going to be a bitch and say it: I don't think Jill is a smart person. Even if she'd been at public school she seems like the type of student who would have struggled and had to put in three times the amount of studying as the other kids. I always wondered if lay midwifery was her first choice or her last resort because she didn't have the grades or the test scores to qualify for an accredited program.

Not all kids are fast learners and there's nothing wrong with that, but I don't think Jill could do two years of college coursework.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 10

I'm just going to be a bitch and say it: I don't think Jill is a smart person. Even if she'd been at public school she seems like the type of student who would have struggled and had to put in three times the amount of studying as the other kids. I always wondered if lay midwifery was her first choice or her last resort because she didn't have the grades or the test scores to qualify for an accredited program.

Not all kids are fast learners and there's nothing wrong with that, but I don't think Jill could do two years of college coursework.

I don't see her as bright either, but i do see her as the kid that wouldn't give up, if she had the chance.

She'd probably be the teachers favorite, because she honestly seems like a well meaning, yet not too bright student. And i think she chose midwifery because daddy told her it was basically the same as delivering the babies all by herself.

• Love 4

I don't think we can know which kids are smart and which aren't in that family bc they are all so painfully behind; when you aren't taught the basics in 1st and 2nd grade, you don't magically catch up at age 22. Even if she isn't smart, I can see Jill as a "trying hard to please the teacher" type -- if she had gone to regular school; those kids get by bc they tend to get a lot of extra help/one on one coaching from teachers.

As for why midwifery -- what choice was there? In that family the girls can either (i) stay home and cook and clean for their siblings until a dude comes along; or (ii) try their hand at an occupation that will only put them in contact with females -- without any male in sight anywhere. The only professions I can think of where the only clients you'll ever have will be female have to do with gynecology and birthing babies. Since she had no where near the high school education she'd need to go to college pre-med or to nursing school -- she had to take the "fundie lite" road into that field, which involves basically being an apprentice for a midwife.

• Love 5

I have no idea where this Nepal thing came up. Anyone know? Seems like speculation unless I missed something.

In the preview for the new season, Derick and Jill were shown telling at least Jim Bob and Michelle something (i cant remember if it was the whole family) but daily mail revealed it as them revealing that they were going to do more missionary type of work in Nepal.

The 'shocker' for the family comes when the Dillard reveal they are 'pulled' to do missionary and aid work in Kathmandu, Nepal after the devastating earthquake on April 25.

'They tell the family they want to go for an extended amount of time to the region - and they're taking baby Israel.'

Jim Bob and Michelle are genuinely caught off guard by the revelation, according to the insider.

'Jim Bob goes sheet white. It's obvious he wasn't big on this idea and it was meant to be a dramatic moment for the show.'

The family offers to 'pray' for Jill and Derick as they make this momentous decision.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3108207/Josiah-Duggar-Marjorie-Jackson-courting-Jessa-hears-baby-s-heartbeat-time-Jill-family-going-Nepal-missionary-work-moments-WON-T-TLC-cancels-19-Kids-Counting.html 

I generally agree with your assessment of Jill, but as a community college prof, I disagree about whether she could complete two years of coursework. She's no worse off than most of my students, and as long as she showed up to class, turned in her work, and made a passable effort to follow directions, I think she'd bop along with a C average. Community college, in theory, offers the same courses as the state universities, but in reality, we teach the students we have. Whether it's a good thing or not, Jill would fit in just fine academically. She might struggle with the social cues and expectations of a class with an actual schedule, deadlines, etc., but then again, so do many of our public HS grads. 

• Love 4

At first I would agree, but Jill have never been given the chance to really learn, have an imagination or think for herself.   Of course, we do have to consider the gene pool she comes from too.    Not a big pool.   :(     

But, I bet those kids would be so different if raised by normal people.

• Love 3

SBC is quite a different theology for Jill. Maybe that can wedge open her mind a little, even if they need to use a (metaphoric) crowbar.

Heck, this is Kook-aid chugging Jilly Muffin we're talking about here. Bring on the REAL crowbar. 

Jill is very good at parroting other people's information, but never having an original thought of her own. Derick may have had his own mind at one time, but he has certainly regressed into the Duggar cult. 

• Love 3

I don't see her as bright either, but i do see her as the kid that wouldn't give up, if she had the chance.

She'd probably be the teachers favorite, because she honestly seems like a well meaning, yet not too bright student. And i think she chose midwifery because daddy told her it was basically the same as delivering the babies all by herself.

Boob probably said you are just like a DR. but it is a lot less training

I suspect everyone who works for WalMart got an email instructing them to refer all questions to HR, and HR got a written script. During the brief period when I was a corporate manager for an holding company with media properties (worst job ever) we had a visit from a very scary lawyer from corporate for how not to get the company sued bootcamp. Rule one was to never, ever answer a question about a former employee.

• Love 1

Since he is a C level celebrity locally, when he left -- at his exit interview -- there may have been a discussion of what WMT would or would not say about him in the future. The Duggar circus is national news, so I'm sure WMT's HR based right there has heard about it and doesn't want to end up in a situation where a few yrs from now Derick makes allegations that WMT maligned him/his work ethic/whatever and that's hurt his job prospects. It's quite possible they told him, we will put up an email auto response that says "Derick Dillard is no longer affiliated with WMT, please contact so-and-so in Accounting." Derick -- while he has sold 99.9% of his brain to the Duggars -- may have had a fleeting moment where he thought -- wait if my friends/professors etc. email me at work and get that, they'll think I got fired. He may have asked if WMT can say anything about "other employment." It's likely HR ran it by legal and their employment lawyer said fine but nothing more -- an auto response referencing another opportunity and if anyone calls, all they get is "he worked here from x date to y date in the accounting department."

• Love 2

I have found myself wondering if part of his leaving Walmart involved him being too easy to find/contact once he got "famous" via the Duggars.  I mean if people were emailing him often enough to know the second his "no longer with the company" (or whatever it said) email came out, he must have been getting harassed a LOT. 

• Love 4

Maybe THAT'S why she's always reminded me of Sue Heck from "The Middle"!

• Love 7

At first I would agree, but Jill have never been given the chance to really learn, have an imagination or think for herself.   Of course, we do have to consider the gene pool she comes from too.    Not a big pool.   :(     

But, I bet those kids would be so different if raised by normal people.

Somebody somewhere on this forum (who knows with the dizzying amount of posts!) so, so rightly pointed out that none of the Duggar kids come across as above average in intelligence. Even allowing for the sheltered and brainwashed and acceptable-quote training, they still come across as not especially bright and articulate. I don't know about all of them, but Jill definitely fits this bill. The poster made the comparison to the Bates kids, who were (in theory) essentially raised the same way, and yet when they speak there is life behind their eyes, there's a sense of engagement, they express themselves fairly articulately (albeit often very inane expressions--but articulated well.) It's less to do with the content of what they're saying and more to do with the way they come across, like unbright zombies. Ask them anything off the script and the true level of intelligence comes glaring forth. (Blank looks and crickets when asked for reasons behind the "Nike!" yelling crap, for example.) 

Also, if you want a taste of the Duggar interpretation of missionary work, watch the El Salvador episodes. They pat orphans on their heads and hand out bibles and candy.

• Love 11

I totally agree that the Bates kids come across as brighter, happier and not as imprisoned.  

Its clear to me from watching , that while they may believe the same things, The Bates family seems like a real family. Full of love, warmth and happiness.

Of course we have no way of knowing what the heck is going on, where I see a twinkle in the Bates kid's eyes , I see nothing but lights out from the Duggar kids.

• Love 12

Well, I did notice on the last Bates epi that as Kelly Bates was leaving, she said, " I love you" to the kids. Never heard Michelle say that in thev10 years she's been on TLC. Not saying she never says that to the kids but...

• Love 4

I have a six month old baby and I dread taking him to visit family an hour away (even with my husband along). Props to Jill and Derrick for even wanting to tackle moving to the other side of the world and to a country without the many relative "comforts" of the US and other "developed" countries.

(I'm secretly hoping if they go, they'll end up converting to Buddhism themselves. Yeah, I know, it's not going to happen)

• Love 5

Somebody somewhere on this forum (who knows with the dizzying amount of posts!) so, so rightly pointed out that none of the Duggar kids come across as above average in intelligence. Even allowing for the sheltered and brainwashed and acceptable-quote training, they still come across as not especially bright and articulate. I don't know about all of them, but Jill definitely fits this bill. The poster made the comparison to the Bates kids, who were (in theory) essentially raised the same way, and yet when they speak there is life behind their eyes, there's a sense of engagement, they express themselves fairly articulately (albeit often very inane expressions--but articulated well.) It's less to do with the content of what they're saying and more to do with the way they come across, like unbright zombies. Ask them anything off the script and the true level of intelligence comes glaring forth. (Blank looks and crickets when asked for reasons behind the "Nike!" yelling crap, for example.) 

Also, if you want a taste of the Duggar interpretation of missionary work, watch the El Salvador episodes. They pat orphans on their heads and hand out bibles and candy.

I get what you're saying and I agree that likely most of the kids aren't particularly high IQ/high intelligence because those kinds of things manifest themselves even in the most repressive of environments. But as for them seeming like inarticulate zombies who can't go off script bc they can't string a sentence together on their own-- maybe -- but I also see a family where the kids are scared of the parents and scared of saying the wrong thing and being subject to reprogramming camp or the prayer closet or God forbid being the one that makes TLC go away and thus is hated by the parents forever.

When you see the Bates and the Willises -- you no doubt have families who are fundy and have the same crazy beliefs -- yet they seem like close loving families in which to grow up. The Bates kids have no problem talking back to each other and saying "well if you don't like my cooking, cook for your damn self," or making fun of their dad's jeans or whatever. Those kids know they are 100% loved and thus aren't scared of saying or doing the wrong thing or angering their parents. A Bates kid could say (and I think Alyssa did say) -- I don't want that many kids, 4 is enough for me (or 2 or none) and I'm fairly certain they wouldn't be sent to reprogramming camp. Meanwhile Jinger so much as expressed that she'd love to live in a big city one day, and Michelle jumped all over it the next day with -- oh NO that's not what she meant, she means a town with a Walmart -- that's what she considers a big city. I'm pretty sure Jinger was in trouble at home and spent some time in the prayer closet for even mentioning that she'd like to live some place where men shack up with women w/o a wedding ring or men can be seen holding hands with other men.

Some of it may be intelligence, but some of it -- esp for the younger ones -- is about not knowing what to say to stick to the party line.

• Love 12

I completely agree about the script. And I do think the kids are drilled and likely punished for going off of it.

But I don't think that ALERT and JTTH are anything approaching "reprogramming camps"

Especially in light of the Josh story. That isn't where they sent him. And the children seem to genuinely enjoy going. It's a privilege, not a punishment, to leave the Duggar home.

I completely agree about the script. And I do think the kids are drilled and likely punished for going off of it.

But I don't think that ALERT and JTTH are anything approaching "reprogramming camps"

Especially in light of the Josh story. That isn't where they sent him. And the children seem to genuinely enjoy going. It's a privilege, not a punishment, to leave the Duggar home.

If you're Jana, who is the virtual mother for all these children, it is a punishment to be taken from the home.

Folks, it's starting to stray a little in here. It's alright to talk about Jill and her learning style in here. But if you'd like to talk about other families, please use the Sweet Fellowship topic.

Thanks!

I think Derick leaving Walmart was already in the works. I believe he quit to be available for filming. It probably pays better and then Jilly can have him home. Not sure what they will do now though, if TLC drops the whole family.

• Love 1

Well, I did notice on the last Bates epi that as Kelly Bates was leaving, she said, " I love you" to the kids. Never heard Michelle say that in thev10 years she's been on TLC. Not saying she never says that to the kids but...

You are right.  I've never noticed- but then again, I've never really seen her being a real mother either.  She probably has some cockamamy idea that it will stir up desires that can't righteously be fulfilled.  

• Love 3

Well, if internet speculation proves true (and let's face it, it almost always does) Derick, Jill, and baby Apropriation of Jewish Culture are moving to Nepal, who is taking bets that Josh, Anna, and their brood are moving into the McMansion post haste?

• Love 9

I haven't followed this super closely but when did Derick leave WMT? Isn't it possible he gave 2 weeks notice -- which is what you do in most (though not all) corporate work places so that you can wrap things up for your manager rather than just running out the door and saying "good luck with my projects" -- prior to the Josh scandal becoming news and then his last day fell after the scandal had hit? He/Jill may have thought -- no big deal, he'll take a few years off for TLC, travel to Nepal, being home with blessing number 2 through 7 at least, and then if he ever wants or needs to, he can always go back -- he has an accounting degree and experience. And then the Josh thing broke, they thought "holy $hit," he tried to rescind his resignation bc he knew TLC was no longer a sure thing, and WMT said no? I mean given how much time he takes off and just the general distraction and Duggar hoopla, WMT may have been grateful that he resigned on his own and weren't feeling charitable enough to say -- oh, things changed, ok you can just keep working.

Would love to hear what Cathy is thinking about Derick being done with WMT in less than 18 months. I can't see her being ok with a son having the excuse of "I need to quit my job to see my child 24-7." Cathy was a successful professional who still raised kids -- I think ending her WMT career around the Vice President level -- definitely senior management. She might have expected her son to follow a similar path professionally, even though nothing in his personal life will look like hers when he's having a kid per year. Just goes to show how much Jill and the Duggars have changed her son; he gave an interview to the college newspaper when he became Pistol Pete -- probably not more than 5-7 yrs at this point -- and in it they asked him various questions and one of them was re his dream job. He said his dream job was working for a multinational like WMT. Guess that dream didn't suit Jilly Muffin so he had to quit.

• Love 3