Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

I need to stop watching Designing Women on youtube. I was watching one episode where Anthony was freaking out about helping Mary Jo. Someone had brought up the fact about men in stressful high profile jobs out and spending money on sexual fantasies. The one fantasy mentioned involved  having another person putting a diaper on and being spanked by the man for being naughty. My first thought was Smuggly Do Rite wanting to do something like this.

(edited)
3 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I need to stop watching Designing Women on youtube. I was watching one episode where Anthony was freaking out about helping Mary Jo. Someone had brought up the fact about men in stressful high profile jobs out and spending money on sexual fantasies. The one fantasy mentioned involved  having another person putting a diaper on and being spanked by the man for being naughty. My first thought was Smuggly Do Rite wanting to do something like this.

I think you can rest easy and abandon this suspicion. I have it on good authority (books, psychologists, and sex workers including a couple of dominatrixes) that it's generally successful, accomplished, driven, high-powered people who crave this. For them it's stress relief, it appears -- letting somebody else take the reins when they never do that in daily life. 

Somebody who's pretty much fallen all the way to the bottom of life's totem pole like Smuggar is way more likely to crave punching people out or the like, I gather. For him, the stress comes from being the bottom daily. So relief from stress would more likely come from being the one who pushes others around..........

We have some evidence of this from the word of whatshername the sex-show woman. Although I still doubt that he was nearly the forceful scary dominant she claims. He's a big weenie and also physically soft as a marshmallow as far as I can tell....So I suspect he'd act out aggression but probably (and luckily) wouldn't be very successful at it. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, Nysha said:

I don't anticipate Anna announcing another pregnancy until Mason is 12-16 months old. Her children are roughly 2 years apart. 

Hopefully, Smuggar's testicles will shrivel and fall off before they conceive #6 (actually, #7 since Ofsmuggar claims to have had a miscarriage between Mackynzie and Michael). 

• Love 15
4 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

sorry but servant's heart is only for females.

Exactly. No way is the eldest BOY going to be saddled with the "servant's heart".  He has to go out and be a proactive go-getter supporting all the other brothers and sisters.  Start 'em early!

On 6/15/2018 at 10:01 AM, Nysha said:

I don't anticipate Anna announcing another pregnancy until Mason is 12-16 months old. Her children are roughly 2 years apart. 

How old is Mason now? Is Mason male or female? Has Anna popped out more helpmeets than future headships so far? 

Thanks. It will be interesting to see when the next baby arrives. I pay just enough attention to the Smuggars to have an idea that Anna is all into competing with Michelle as to pumping out the babies, but Smugs himself is over that.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Thanks. It will be interesting to see when the next baby arrives. I pay just enough attention to the Smuggars to have an idea that Anna is all into competing with Michelle as to pumping out the babies, but Smugs himself is over that.

Smuggar was over it by the third kid. He was visibly happy when Mackynzie was born, less so but still excited when Michael was born, and onto "not this shit again" when Marcus came along. 

In some ways, I feel sorry for Smuggar. Yes, he's a molester and cheater, but in many ways he is a product of his limited environment. I'm sure he feels he has no choice but to continue impregnating Ofsmuggar, who clearly wants a zillion kids. 

Edited by Heathen
  • Love 14
4 hours ago, Heathen said:

Smuggar was over it by the third kid. He was visibly happy when Mackynzie was born, less so but still excited when Michael was born, and onto "not this shit again" when Marcus came along. 

In some ways, I feel sorry for Smuggar. Yes, he's a molester and cheater, but in many ways he is a product of his limited environment. I'm sure he feels he has no choice but to continue impregnating Ofsmuggar, who clearly wants a zillion kids. 

yes, I also feel some sympathy for him.  I hold his parents much more responsible for the molestation than I do him.  I wish he would break free, file for divorce, and write a tell all. I think he could do pretty well with one.  Then maybe he could get the education he was denied and have a career in law that he seemed to want. 

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Normades said:

yes, I also feel some sympathy for him.  I hold his parents much more responsible for the molestation than I do him.  I wish he would break free, file for divorce, and write a tell all. I think he could do pretty well with one.  Then maybe he could get the education he was denied and have a career in law that he seemed to want. 

He would have to get off his lazy behind for this to happen, and I do not see it happening anytime soon. And yes, his parents should be hold some of the responsible for the molestation, but there are millions of kids (myself included) who were abused and neglected who did not take out their anger and frustration on their siblings or other people. Their have been men who had crappy childhoods who did not molest their sisters or other female relatives and hide behind their parents and God in order to make excuses for their bad actions.

2 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

He would have to get off his lazy behind for this to happen, and I do not see it happening anytime soon. And yes, his parents should be hold some of the responsible for the molestation, but there are millions of kids (myself included) who were abused and neglected who did not take out their anger and frustration on their siblings or other people. Their have been men who had crappy childhoods who did not molest their sisters or other female relatives and hide behind their parents and God in order to make excuses for their bad actions.

You are absolutely correct. Many survivors of abuse do not victimize others, however I do feel empathy for Josh because he was also a child who was being abused in his own way. What he chose to do was horrific, but for me the lion's share of the blame lies with his parents. I am unfortunately very familiar with abuse from my own experiences, but I do feel some empathy for Josh as well as his sister's. JimBoob and MEscelle were the adults that created the situation. YMMV.

• Love 16
3 hours ago, Absolom said:

Law school with Josh was always just talk.  He's never had the ability, drive, or persistance to prepare for or attend law school.

I think that the ability, drive and persistance have been trained out of him along with the ability to have an independant thought. I think Boob and Mullet ruined him for the rest of his life.

• Love 20
11 hours ago, Normades said:

You are absolutely correct. Many survivors of abuse do not victimize others, however I do feel empathy for Josh because he was also a child who was being abused in his own way. What he chose to do was horrific, but for me the lion's share of the blame lies with his parents. I am unfortunately very familiar with abuse from my own experiences, but I do feel some empathy for Josh as well as his sister's. JimBoob and MEscelle were the adults that created the situation. YMMV.

In my opinion, I think Josh would have turned out the same way except for molesting his sisters even if he had a decent childhood, decent parents, and less siblings. He thinks he is God's gift to the universe and no woman outside his family can resist him. His the devil made him do it and I am more worried about disappointing God speaks volumes. Of course, he does get a lot of it from JB who I think is the worse example of how a man and father should act.

1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

In my opinion, I think Josh would have turned out the same way except for molesting his sisters even if he had a decent childhood, decent parents, and less siblings. He thinks he is God's gift to the universe and no woman outside his family can resist him. His the devil made him do it and I am more worried about disappointing God speaks volumes. Of course, he does get a lot of it from JB who I think is the worse example of how a man and father should act.

I see Josh as someone who suffers from Impostor Syndrome. His parents praised him as the Godly oldest son. Josh has had normal "sinful" thoughts that most children have which probably had him thinking he failed his parents from the first time he thought of stealing a cookie. He also probably felt he couldn't manage the car lot, living away from his parents, or working for FRAC.

I in no way give him a pass on what he did to his sisters, but I don't think Josh really believes he is all that. I think Josh knows who he is and feels he has never measured up and might even think he's damned no matter what he does.

• Love 11
7 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I see Josh as someone who suffers from Impostor Syndrome. His parents praised him as the Godly oldest son. Josh has had normal "sinful" thoughts that most children have which probably had him thinking he failed his parents from the first time he thought of stealing a cookie. He also probably felt he couldn't manage the car lot, living away from his parents, or working for FRAC.

I in no way give him a pass on what he did to his sisters, but I don't think Josh really believes he is all that. I think Josh knows who he is and feels he has never measured up and might even think he's damned no matter what he does.

True, but I still think he would be an ass no matter what.

6 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

ITA. Josh has made some horrible mistakes that not even his brothers have made...including touching a 5-year-old girl. (Plus, he did not touch Jana, who is closest to him in age.) The aftermath of his mistakes are all on his parents since Josh was a minor. 

IMHO, the cheating on Anna is bad, but not as bad as what he did when younger if that makes sense. For one thing, it's not illegal. Second, there's no evidence that he forced himself on any other women. It's also not unusual to cheat when one is in an unhappy marriage and doesn't know how to communicate with his/her spouse - especially in a world where one must "keep sweet." It's not Anna's fault that Josh cheated, but I also do not believe that he is genuinely in love with her compared to the way that other Duggar sons and sons-in-laws have acted towards their significant others. He's staying with her out of Godly duty at this point. 

Also, I think it's telling that, unlike Derick, Josh has generally stayed off of social media - not even to sell his cars! I'm not exactly sure what the lack of social media exposure means, but I just feel like if Josh were more narcissistic, he would have as much of an online presence as he did prior to the scandals coming out.

• Love 8

In my opinion, if Josh really does love Anna, he would not have cheated on her in the first place. He would sit down with her and be totally honest about how many kids he wanted in the first place instead of feeding her have babies fetish she seems to have. He admit he might have some serious issues and get real help instead of what the Duggars clan considers counseling. If he is not happy being married and having kids right and left, he could cut the ties instead of keep dragging Anna and the kids down with him.

And Josh is saying off social media because he has been put on a short leash by JB. He is being narcissistic when he thought he was a big man by calling out others for their so-called sins while he was hiding the fact he molested his own sisters more than once and cheating on his own wife and thinking he could get away with it. Of course, he cries fowl when his dirty nasty secrets are brought to light. He flies a lawsuit because *gasp* people have found out what an scumbag ass he really is, and instantly thinks he is a victim instead of facing reality of what he did and why it was wrong to hurt others. In otherwords, he is a narcissistic creep.

From what I've seen of the marriages of most of the kids who have been born into Gothardism, I doubt many of them love their spouses in a way that the dating and living together world understands. There are exceptions, like some of the Bateses and, I sometimes hope, Jinge and Jeremy, but I don't think Smugger is unique in not being "in love" with his spouse  or not having the kind of relationship where you could discuss whether God may not want you to have baby after baby on the toilet. 

• Love 22
9 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

ITA. Josh has made some horrible mistakes that not even his brothers have made...including touching a 5-year-old girl. (Plus, he did not touch Jana, who is closest to him in age.) The aftermath of his mistakes are all on his parents since Josh was a minor. 

Part of me has always wondered how Jana escaped his notice and I have a thought.  Josh gets up late at night to go to the bathroom.  Ma and Pa are asleep or working on making another blessing.  Jana is the only up still up as she throws more laundry in the washer and scrubs the casserole dish from burned tater tot casserole while taking care of a colicky baby and then Josh hits the girl's room on his way back to bed to fondle his sisters.  Jana's too tired to notice and with only 2 bathrooms, I'm sure folks are constantly going to and fro from it.  

• Love 3
12 hours ago, satrunrose said:

From what I've seen of the marriages of most of the kids who have been born into Gothardism, I doubt many of them love their spouses in a way that the dating and living together world understands. There are exceptions, like some of the Bateses and, I sometimes hope, Jinge and Jeremy, but I don't think Smugger is unique in not being "in love" with his spouse  or not having the kind of relationship where you could discuss whether God may not want you to have baby after baby on the toilet. 

Well said. You can't truly love someone when you're constantly walking on eggshells and censoring every word that comes out of your mouth. It's like these couples never move beyond that initial "polite phase" we all go through in relationships where you're hyper-conscious about how you look, how you act, what you say etc. Since they're never allowed to express real thoughts or emotions as children, they can't do it as adults. 

• Love 16
On 6/17/2018 at 9:42 AM, bigskygirl said:

In my opinion, if Josh really does love Anna, he would not have cheated on her in the first place. He would sit down with her and be totally honest about how many kids he wanted in the first place instead of feeding her have babies fetish she seems to have. He admit he might have some serious issues and get real help instead of what the Duggars clan considers counseling. If he is not happy being married and having kids right and left, he could cut the ties instead of keep dragging Anna and the kids down with him.

And Josh is saying off social media because he has been put on a short leash by JB. He is being narcissistic when he thought he was a big man by calling out others for their so-called sins while he was hiding the fact he molested his own sisters more than once and cheating on his own wife and thinking he could get away with it. Of course, he cries fowl when his dirty nasty secrets are brought to light. He flies a lawsuit because *gasp* people have found out what an scumbag ass he really is, and instantly thinks he is a victim instead of facing reality of what he did and why it was wrong to hurt others. In otherwords, he is a narcissistic creep.

Also because it gives people like us a forum to tell him exactly what a piece of shit he is and while he can block individuals, he cannot block everyone.  No one really wants that associated with their business and they also want to keep him from having access to hussies.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Well said. You can't truly love someone when you're constantly walking on eggshells and censoring every word that comes out of your mouth. It's like these couples never move beyond that initial "polite phase" we all go through in relationships where you're hyper-conscious about how you look, how you act, what you say etc. Since they're never allowed to express real thoughts or emotions as children, they can't do it as adults. 

Yup. And it's that which somehow convinces them that these marriages are so blessed and perfect.  Because, well, I was going to say both parties, but in reality it's probably more than often just the wife, is/are putting everything they have into "keeping sweet". Because no disputes automatically equals a blissful marriage. Phhht.

• Love 12
On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:42 AM, bigskygirl said:

Yes, he is. A narcissistic creep that's exactly what he is. I have zero  sympathy for Josh. He molest his sisters and got away with it. They had to forgive him. He got to continue to become a Smug bastard who accused other groups of being child molesters, cheated on his wife and all while held up as the Golden Child. An example of what other Christian boys should be like. He was never humbled, he never behaved like he was sorry or realize what he did was wrong. He also very creepy kept asking his sisters about their first kisses and stuff. Even after the fallout he still doesn't think he did anything wrong or he wouldn't have tried to sue. With his siblings yes I have a lot of sympathy even for the ones I don't like. They were raised in a crappy abusive cult. Josh is the only one who's basically benefited from being in Gothard because Gothard doesn't believe in molesting is a problem for men (big surprise giving what he did.) they believe its the woman's' fault, the girl's fault. There's that pamphlet they have which basically blames everything on the women. So Josh didn't get arrested, he wasn't changed, he didn't receive any therapy or anything sort of punishment, correction or fix. He was sent away for three months to put up a Hobby Lobby or something and that was it. The girls had no choice to accept him and he was back home living his life as if nothing changed after three months. So what do you think Josh learned after all that? Why he could do whatever he wanted and get away with it.            

• Love 23
4 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Yes, he is. A narcissistic creep that's exactly what he is. I have zero  sympathy for Josh. He molest his sisters and got away with it. They had to forgive him. He got to continue to become a Smug bastard who accused other groups of being child molesters, cheated on his wife and all while held up as the Golden Child. An example of what other Christian boys should be like. He was never humbled, he never behaved like he was sorry or realize what he did was wrong. He also very creepy kept asking his sisters about their first kisses and stuff. Even after the fallout he still doesn't think he did anything wrong or he wouldn't have tried to sue. With his siblings yes I have a lot of sympathy even for the ones I don't like. They were raised in a crappy abusive cult. Josh is the only one who's basically benefited from being in Gothard because Gothard doesn't believe in molesting is a problem for men (big surprise giving what he did.) they believe its the woman's' fault, the girl's fault. There's that pamphlet they have which basically blames everything on the women. So Josh didn't get arrested, he wasn't changed, he didn't receive any therapy or anything sort of punishment, correction or fix. He was sent away for three months to put up a Hobby Lobby or something and that was it. The girls had no choice to accept him and he was back home living his life as if nothing changed after three months. So what do you think Josh learned after all that? Why he could do whatever he wanted and get away with it.            

Didn’t he have to apologize in front of the church congregation though?  I feel like that would be humbling.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, queenanne said:

Didn’t he have to apologize in front of the church congregation though?  I feel like that would be humbling.

In the case of Josh, I think he said what he said to save his sorry behind.

2 hours ago, queenanne said:

He may have been embarrassed, but I doubt he was humbled. 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, EVS said:

If he was humbled he wouldn’t have been the “Smuggar” we dubbed him before we even knew! He also wouldn’t have made those lewd inappropriate comments about incest and his sister’s first kiss. I think Jana and JD probably wanted to punch him in the face. 

• Love 9

If I remembered correctly, I also think Jessa and Jill said they went to JB and Josh for advice about their first kiss because JB and Josh knew a lot about kissing because they were married. Ewww... I cannot imagine going to the person who molested you more than once and asking him for advice. I hope they were kidding, but I seriously doubt it.

16 hours ago, EVS said:

I actually expect that most of us -- me definitely included -- would be, first, embarrassed, and then furious if we had to do this. Seems like a massively ineffective practice to me. 

14 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

If I remembered correctly, I also think Jessa and Jill said they went to JB and Josh for advice about their first kiss because JB and Josh knew a lot about kissing because they were married. Ewww... I cannot imagine going to the person who molested you more than once and asking him for advice. I hope they were kidding, but I seriously doubt it.

I've never been able to understand why you'd EVER go to ANYONE for "advice" about kissing. What the hell kind of "advice" would you want? Or imagine you could get?

And it's especially baffling to think of someone going to a relative -- and a relative of the opposite sex, no less.

Just knowing that the female Duggarlings say they did that has always seemed like a sign of massive warpedness in this family. But maybe that's just me. lol

• Love 16
38 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I've never been able to understand why you'd EVER go to ANYONE for "advice" about kissing. What the hell kind of "advice" would you want? Or imagine you could get?

And it's especially baffling to think of someone going to a relative -- and a relative of the opposite sex, no less.

Just knowing that the female Duggarlings say they did that has always seemed like a sign of massive warpedness in this family. But maybe that's just me. lol

Oh no. It's not just you. **shudder**

• Love 12

I can give myself nightmares just speculating what that “advice” would have been. How do you “talk” about kissing? If ever there was a learn by doing activity, it’s this, so...how did they “advise” them? Show and tell?

See, I have now squicked myself out completely and may have to go lie down to repress my gag reflex...

• Love 15
(edited)

What makes me sick is two of Josh's victims went to him for advice, and they went to their father also who did not protect them well enough from Josh. I mean how sick and twisted is that. It would like going to the person who burned down your house and asking him or her for advice on  how to start a camp fire  to roast marshmallows.

Edited by bigskygirl