Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

I have more veggies and flowers planted outside and I have no where near the 20 acres or so they have. That's always bugged me that they let the land go to waste and of course they could use the fresh fruits and veggies in that horrible diet of theirs. But, they only practice what they are shown. If the parents don't do it, neither will the kids.

Forget the garden.  They live out in the country, so I'm sure there's farmer's markets every week.

Forget the garden.  They live out in the country, so I'm sure there's farmer's markets every week.

If the Duggars visit the farmer's market on a weekly basis, I'll eat my shoe.  Have you seen those tin cans they eat their veggies out of?

• Love 7

Ben's smile doesn't quite reach his eyes. He and Derrick are both showing some strain. The girls are trained Duggarbots and smile pretty on cue. Very sad.

Ben is probably crapping his pants right now. He went into this marriage thinking the Duggar name would fast track his dream of becoming a Millenial Joel Osteen. Now he's stuck with a pregnant wife who will never work but expects to be kept in iPhones, Uggs and granite countertops. Homeboy is feeling the pressure.

• Love 18
(edited)

I was thinking if Ben stopped posting his fire and brimstone vitriol on social media and instead took that time to learn a word a day ...aw, never mind. In a year, he'd still be under 200 words.

Edited by HundFan
  • Love 5

I love the way their names are listed Ben and Jessa Seewald then it is Jill and Derick Dillard we now know who wears the pants in the dill pickle family.

To be old school, etiquette dictates if the wife has taken the husband's last name, you list them as wife's first name + husband's first and last name (for example, Jane and John Doe). It really doesn't have anything to do with pants-wearing, but instead not breaking up a man's first and last name in a sentence. So it's more an insight in Jessa's marriage, I'd think!

• Love 3

Re: the Duggar skin, I their genetics probably tend towards acne, but I think the severity of it is helped along by poor diet and poor hygiene. My family is split; about half of us have clear skin even through puberty, and the other half gets horrible acne, so I feel like I see enough genetically-caused acne that the Duggars look different to me, I suppose?

All of the Duggars have that pale, slightly puffy look of people who've seen a lot of starch, a lot of sodium, a lot of preservatives, and relatively little fresh produce. The Honey Boo Boo family, even the thin sister, all had the same look. Eating primarily pre-packaged foods will do that to you. I find it interesting that the Duggars don't follow a code of health of any sorts...every major religion seems to have one: Judaism, Islam, Mormonism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Seventh-Day Adventist, etc. There are dietary restrictions given in the Bible (Leviticus, I think?), so it's weird that people who take the Bible so very literally don't have some kind of guideline at all. With 20 kids and all that land you'd think a garden would be pretty easy for them. 

The mass amounts of hair products don't help, and I sincerely doubt that sheets or pillowcases are being washed weekly. 

(above, bbm)

Well...for a while there, they were swearing off pork. :)

(Maybe they still are, I don't know!)

I loathe Ben's Instagram post above.  I am certain he and Jesse want that Olsteen, Baker, Dollar type ministry, but their message is so very off-putting to me.  Who is that person who posted saying Catholicism is 100% pagan?  They have no idea what garbage they spew.  Hey, I could make up things and make up percentages too, but I'd be more reasonable about it.  

• Love 4
(edited)

"An ineffably holy God who has the utmost abhorrence of sin was never invented by any of Adam's descendants."

I'm sure Ben thinks that this statement is an awesome "drop the mic" moment towards all non-Christians, but I beg to differ.

The funny thing about that statement is that humans have worshipped a ton of ineffably holy gods who have the utmost abhorrence of sin throughout recorded history, and even if Ben's was the real deal humans still would have invented the rest of them.

And if they didn't, that means all those other gods really exist.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 11

I don't know what's funnier, Ben posting something he probably doesn't understand half of the words of or some of the comments from people following him.

My favorite was this gem: "In the beginning God created the HEAVANS and the EARTH!! My gods NOT DEAD HE'S SURLY ALIVE!!!!!!". I had no idea the Lord was surly. Of course, with all of the current goings on in the world, it's no wonder.

• Love 24

To be old school, etiquette dictates if the wife has taken the husband's last name, you list them as wife's first name + husband's first and last name (for example, Jane and John Doe). It really doesn't have anything to do with pants-wearing, but instead not breaking up a man's first and last name in a sentence. So it's more an insight in Jessa's marriage, I'd think!

I used to print invitaions and *ahem* was that a discussion thst came up often. I kept an Emily Post by the ordering desk. You do not separate a man from his surname. He had it first, lol.

• Love 6
(edited)

I don't know what's funnier, Ben posting something he probably doesn't understand half of the words of or some of the comments from people following him.

My favorite was this gem: "In the beginning God created the HEAVANS and the EARTH!! My gods NOT DEAD HE'S SURLY ALIVE!!!!!!". I had no idea the Lord was surly. Of course, with all of the current goings on in the world, it's no wonder.

i wish you'd copied the sentence after that as well. It was nearly as profound. "To all you athirst who thinks our God is in the grave"

But now that I'm looking at it again, maybe they truly MEANT "athirst". But no, I think they took a stab at atheists and butchered it so much it came out athirst. Or MAYBE... There's a group of arthritic patients banded together that think God is in the grave...

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 7

If they're being really old school, aren't they Mr. and Mrs. [husband's name]? 

• Love 1

That made my head hurt. Although HEAVANS being so close to HEATHENS made me laugh. Also they capitalized practically everything except "gods"?  that was pretty funny.  Ben, next time please put an apostrophe in there. I'm sure you can borrow one from all the places they are overused these days.

• Love 8

I used to print invitaions and *ahem* was that a discussion thst came up often. I kept an Emily Post by the ordering desk. You do not separate a man from his surname. He had it first, lol.

I love learning little tidbits like this. Thanks for the etiquette history lesson!

• Love 3

I know I disagreed with you on this once before, and I'm really not trying to pick on you, but I have done a TON of Gothard research. I'm sure you have too, but while the Duggars and Bateses were happy to meet once a year at the ATI conference in Big Sandy (a friendship which I suspect TLC played up because of the same number of kids angle), I don't think it goes any further than that.

Yes, the Gothard world is an extensive network where many people know each other. But everything I've read points to the same thing: Bill is in charge, and then you have everybody else. Gil Bates actually pastors a church, as was seen recently on the Rodrigues blog and other places. He is entrenched in that church, not Jim Bob's hundreds of miles away. Gothardism is nuts but they don't have elders or any kind of discipline system in place, as far as we have ever heard. They are all "like-minded" people who know each other and "encourage" one another, but for distance reasons -- just think about how far from Chicago Pa Keller and Gil Bates are -- I don't believe any of them had anything to do with the Josh incidents. 

Agree.  I think the Bateses were portrayed by TLC as being best friends with the Duggars - after it became so glaringly-obvious the Duggars really didn't seem to have any friends. Other than each other of course. TLC made it appear as though Kelly and Me-chelle were in regular contact throughout the year, that the kids were much more involved in each other's lives etc, that Gil and Boob were best buddies etc. But I'd bet some serious coin that this was not the case at all. 

• Love 10

Good point. I know I'm created in God's image and I'm feeling a little surliness. 

• Love 3
(edited)

My child support checks were actually signed...

Mrs.[husband's name]

It was extremely irritating to me (the bitter ex wife) - until I realized she was writing the checks from her account!

Edited by springtime
  • Love 14

My child support checks were actually signed...

It was extremely irritating to me (the bitter ex wife) - until I realized she was writing the checks from her account!

That's actually kind of delicious. I wonder if she realized what message she was really sending there...

• Love 4

If they're being really old school, aren't they Mr. and Mrs. [husband's name]?

You'd want the Mrs. first, because you can't separate the Mr. from husband's first and last name. To get real old school, I've seen some conservative Christian circles where the wife is always addressed as Mrs. John Doe, for example. She doesn't even use her own first name. I haven't seen any young people doing that, though.

To be honest, I don't think the way the names are listed for the event really means anything, I just wanted to crack a joke about Jessa.

• Love 1

You'd want the Mrs. first, because you can't separate the Mr. from husband's first and last name. To get real old school, I've seen some conservative Christian circles where the wife is always addressed as Mrs. John Doe, for example. She doesn't even use her own first name. I haven't seen any young people doing that, though.

To be honest, I don't think the way the names are listed for the event really means anything, I just wanted to crack a joke about Jessa.

I work in a hospital, and the bolded part is a pain in the arse when people are sending letters to patients, using their husbands names. Especially since we often have patients with the same last name, and as it usually happens with the older patients, they frequently have a child instead of a spouse listed as next of kin, so we can't figure out who the mail is supposed to be going to without opening it up, which is a whole privacy issue.

• Love 1

Wait, would you really write "Mrs. and Mr. His Name?" I've never seen that, I've only ever seen "Mr. and Mrs. His Name." I guess because he is Mr. His Name and she is Mrs. His Name, so the husband is listed first. I'm positive about this, "Mr. and Mrs." So some folks do the opposite? It's always interesting to find out how many people do things differently.

• Love 6

Wait, would you really write "Mrs. and Mr. His Name?" I've never seen that, I've only ever seen "Mr. and Mrs. His Name." I guess because he is Mr. His Name and she is Mrs. His Name, so the husband is listed first. I'm positive about this, "Mr. and Mrs." So some folks do the opposite? It's always interesting to find out how many people do things differently.

Only if I'm being super formal for some sort of correspondence - that's technically the correct way, although Emily Post says it matters less these days (Miss Manners is still hanging on to Mr. and Mrs. order). Otherwise, I just use Mr. first.

• Love 1

Years ago I worked for a doctor and addressed envelopes for him to send other physicians and their wives sometimes, and he specifically asked me to address it: Mrs. and Dr. John Grey (example).

At the time, I thought it made more sense to address it Dr. and Mrs. John Grey.

Just like you said, no separation from his credentials or last name.

You think it's that high? I'd think it was a little lower-2-3k plus travel expenses. I'm just guessing but 8k seems like a lot.

"Celebs" like Gary from Teen Mom make around $5k for a club appearance. Duggar brides and their husbands are sure to make more than Gary.

Well I've learned something new. We address our envelopes as Mr. And Mrs. (Last name) and when we get letters from doctors or government it's addressed J--- and M------- (last name) and I swear that isn't Jim bob and Michelle lol!

I've done calligraphy for years and have worked mostly with a copy of Emily Post or on the Crane Company's website. I've never seen the woman's name listed first for a couple, or had anyone request it. It's either Mr and Mrs Al Fresco  - or Al and Sharon Fresco. Of course when I first started in the 70s, Emily still said a divorced woman was addressed on social stationery as Mrs Sharon Fresco. Only women who were still married could be Mrs Al Fresco. And we have come a long, LONG way since then.

I know there are rules for this sort of thing, but I've always thought the woman and her whole side of the family get lost in this.  I've been to other countries where I've seen all the headstones at the cemetery will say "John Smith" and the next one is "Mary Jones (Smith)".  So I thought that was nice that you know who Mary really was.  I just kept my own name, long before it was done by anyone else I knew.  If someone thought we were living in sin, so be it.  We weren't.

• Love 3

The etiquette discussion left Benessa in the dust hours ago. Please take it elsewhere.

This is the Benessa thread. Posts here should have something to do with Benessa directly.

Tangentially doesn't count.

• Love 4

When Jessa/Ben and Jill/Derick are together, I wonder which male goes alpha?

My guess is neither. Derick and Ben don't seem like pissing contest types of guys, as opposed to Boob, Smuggar and David Waller. Derick is well educated and Ben is buff and athletic, I don't think they have as desperate a need to prove their manhood.

• Love 7

I think Derick's always had dark eye circles, but they do look a little more prominent here. First look at the new choppers too. I'm also surprised he didn't have this kind of dental work done until now.

I work for an ENT and dark eye circles are very common in people with allergies.  I can see it in my own family, who has them and who doesn't. 

• Love 6

I think Jessa is the alpha in the family setting, but I bet once in public, where things aren't controlled, she's a lot less bold. I imagine Jill quietly takes charge.

Remember the engagement scene where Jessa had a really hard time speaking to strangers?

• Love 2
(edited)
I wonder if anybody's moderating the Q&A or controlling the questions that can be asked, although it seems like a Duggar-friendly venue

Even before the scandal, the Duggars only participated in Q&A's which were carefully controlled and screened.  They wouldn't have agreed to the appearance had the organizers not guaranteed 100% of all questions and comments would be in accordance with the Duggan family's approved script.  If the scandal is mentioned at all, it will be to praise the entire family for their Godliness in handling it and to condemn the evil liberal media.  Nobody who isn't known to the organizers and completely onboard with the agenda will be allowed to speak.  This event, while ostensibly open to the public, costs $45 a day to attend and no doubt attending the Duggar seminar will also require waiting in line for hours to get a place in the room where they appear.  They can and will ban cameras, recorders and the like except for those authorized by the organizers and approved by the family.  No unknown TMZ reporter is going to sneak in there with a camera and ask a loaded question.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 8