Type keyword(s) to search

Ocean's Eight (2017)

Kromm
  • Start Topic

If you hated the Ghostbusters all-female reboot, you're sure to doubly hate an all-female reboot with twice as many chicks!

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/10/oceans-eight-cast-rihanna-helena-bonham-carter-mindy-kaling-anne-hathaway

http://deadline.com/2016/08/oceans-eight-rihanna-anne-hathaway-sandra-bullock-cate-blanchett-awkwafina-helena-bonham-carter-mindy-kaling-1201801342/

Warner Bros has firmed an October start date in New York for Ocean’s Eight, the female-driven caper spinoff directed by Gary Ross, and the studio is closing with its principal cast. Aside from the previously identified Sandra Bullockand Cate Blanchett, deals are close with Anne Hathaway, Rihanna, Helena Bonham Carter, Mindy Kaling and Awkwafina. The latter is the hip-hop moniker of Asian-American rapper and actress Nora Lum, who most recently had a role in Neighbors 2.

The picture is still casting — the firmed roster so far falls one shy of the title — and there is every possibility for cameos from the stars of the original trilogy, which grossed a collective $1.12 billion worldwide. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

This should be good. I am looking forward. 

• Love 2

Guess we'll see when the trailers come out, but something tells me this won't be as controversial.  It seemed like a lot of the Ghostbusters backlash came from stans with a very strange, OTT attachment to the original.  There'll probably still be some sexism, if not misogyny, of course.    

Awkwafina as a stage name? Um, okay.  

I hope I like this one because I didn't care for the others. They didn't seem bad to me it's just that all-star casts aren't my favorite thing. I didn't feel like I was watching a collection of criminals, I felt like I was watching George Clooney and Matt Damon and Julia Roberts.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, JessePinkman said:

Julia Roberts felt so out of place in these movies, it always felt very "And now movie star, Julia Roberts".

This interests me far more than Ghostbusters ever did, it seems like a much more interesting versatile idea.

Thank you!!!  I can't stand Julia Roberts in those movies, thought she was awful, especially in Ocean's 11.  Horrible casting I always thought. 

And generally I liked Ocean's 11, its a fun movie with a great cast that worked well together, a good script.  Its not an Oscar contender movie but a very well done Saturday afternoon movie to enjoy when you find it on TV.  However I never saw the other two movies, not sure if I will be interested in this one either, mainly because they just seems variations on the same theme.  Same reason I loved The Hangover but never really cared about the sequels and never saw them. 

And as long as they are making female versions of originally male movies, The Hangover can't be far around the corner. 

Someone else made a good point, if they really want to promote feminism and female characters, might be better off coming up with original scripts for them rather than using remakes of originally male dominated movies, which seems kind of a backhanded way of accomplishing their goal. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

Julia Roberts felt so out of place in these movies, it always felt very "And now movie star, Julia Roberts".

This interests me far more than Ghostbusters ever did, it seems like a much more interesting versatile idea.

I didn't mind her in the first one, but the second one actually makes a plot point on the fact that Tess just happens to look like Julia Roberts.  Like...really?  That sequel was a mess.

• Love 3

Cate Blanchett and Sandra Bullock filming "Ocean's Eight" in NYC:

tumblr_ofkhracJUZ1r19feno1_500.png4

tumblr_ofk828SOVy1uewx13o1_500.jpg

With director Gary Ross:

tumblr_ofk6trkENT1svfiimo2_500.jpg

tumblr_ofkfqhcqMF1t15ff2o1_500.jpg

tumblr_ofkmy6nosk1t15ff2o1_500.jpgB

Okay, I had no feelings either way for this movie, but holy crap Cate Blanchett looks AMAZING.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3
On 10/26/2016 at 5:14 AM, Morrigan2575 said:

Oceans 11 was good, 12 stunk and 13 was meh. I have zero interest in a reboot male or female. I really wish Hollywood would just try new things instead of rebooting movies/franchises.

This. I have about as much interest in a wad of gum on the sidewalk as I do this movie. God forbid any of these Hollywood big shots come up with an original idea anymore.

On 10/26/2016 at 8:14 AM, Morrigan2575 said:

Oceans 11 was good, 12 stunk and 13 was meh. I have zero interest in a reboot male or female. I really wish Hollywood would just try new things instead of rebooting movies/franchises.

5 hours ago, BitterApple said:

This. I have about as much interest in a wad of gum on the sidewalk as I do this movie. God forbid any of these Hollywood big shots come up with an original idea anymore.

Once again, this hatred over a reboot baffles me. They're rebooting Spiderman AGAIN but I don't see anyone in those threads moaning about how terrible it's going to be before there's so much as a trailer out. It reminds me of the over-the-top protesting of the 2016 Ghostbusters film. Hmmmm....  what possibly (female-led) could be the reason (women) that some movies get so much hatred (misogyny) and others don't? 

• Love 10
55 minutes ago, shantown said:

Once again, this hatred over a reboot baffles me. They're rebooting Spiderman AGAIN but I don't see anyone in those threads moaning about how terrible it's going to be before there's so much as a trailer out. It reminds me of the over-the-top protesting of the 2016 Ghostbusters film. Hmmmm....  what possibly (female-led) could be the reason (women) that some movies get so much hatred (misogyny) and others don't? 

Not sure where you're looking but people complained quite a bit about Spider-Man being rebooted, probably more about the Andrew Garfield version, so that this latest one with a teenager being cast in the role is almost a relief in a way. But everyone was hardly happy with the choice, and it's a comic book movie, so somewhere on the web at this very moment it's getting nitpicked to death before anyone has ever seen a second of it.

I don't see hatred so much as annoyance about Ocean's Eight, that doesn't seem much different or stronger than the garden variety annoyance that always gets thrown at remade/rebooted movies and TV shows of all stripes. Still, with the female remake trend, it comes off like studio execs will only greenlight a popcorn movie with a female cast if it's a "proven" property that was already successful with men first, because of course that's the only way the young male audience would possibly be interested. Even when it's about women, it's really about men to TPTB.  People who find the "Let's remake it with gals this time!" phenomenon patronizing are hardly sexist or have a problem with female casts in general.

All that being said, the filming pics so far have made the movie look like it will be a lot of fun. 

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 1

IF people aren't currently bitching about the MCU Spider-Man (and I have no idea if they are or not), I can only assume it's because he's already here.  However, I do know for a FACT that when the MCU Spider-Man was announced there was a ton of bitching about another Peter Parker Spider-Man. Many fans were tired after the Garfield reboot and many wanted Miles Morales since he would be new (I agreed). I also remember people complaining endlessly about the Garfield reboot.

For the record, I also objected to the Macgyver reboot (refused to watch), the Rush Hour reboot (refused to watch), the Lethal Weapon reboot (caved and watched, actually pretty good).

I also had very little interest in the recent Magnificent Seven reboot even though I love Westerns and barely remember the Yul Brenner version. 

just don't like reboots.

You'll get more interest out of me if you give me sequels or stories set in the same universe over reboots. However, even then you might not get my money, I've yet to see Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, even though I love Harry Potter.

Yes, there are some reboots that I don't immediately hate the idea of. For instance I was fine with the announcment for Star Trek 2009 but, I've watched every single Star Trek series, movies and read TNG books, to me ST 2009 was just another spinoff.

As to your other statement, yes I imagine there will be misogynists that object to this movie based solely on the female cast. However, not everyone that objects to this reboot is a misogynist.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 5
Synopsis according to Birth.Movies.Death:

The tide will turn as Debbie Ocean (Sandra Bullock) attempts to pull off the heist of the century at New York City’s star-studded annual Met Gala. Her first stop is to assemble the perfect crew: Lou (Cate Blanchett); Nine Ball (Rihanna); Amita (Mindy Kaling); Constance (Awkwafina); Rose (Helena Bonham Carter); Daphne Kluger (Anne Hathaway); and Tammy (Sarah Paulson).

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, VCRTracking said:
Synopsis according to Birth.Movies.Death:

I'm excited for this. Hope this isn't a let down. A big studio movie fronted by TWO women over 45???? Get out of here!

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 4

We had an awakening on reboots when my husband went on an Alfred Hitchcock (very lengthy) binge.  Hitchcock actually remade one of his own movies because he decided he could do it better.

Then when Feud did Betty and Joan last year, I went on an olde movies binge (that I'm still on) and reboots were so common in the early days, that by the end of the 30s, there were stories that had been covered three times.  Almost as if  reboots are a genre all their own.

Currently I'm getting from the library a "Carmen" from the very early days AND Charlie Chapman's comedic take on THAT particular Carmen.  

Watching reboots in order of appearance can be a hoot and sometimes there are 'homages' that we would have totally missed looking at them from our own time experiences.

(Still hated that Ghostbusters neuvo missed the all around silliness of the first ones.)

• Love 1

I'm curious why everyone thought this was a remake or reboot. The previous Ocean's movies established that there are families of accomplished grifters and confidence scammers. In 11, they've implied that Linus' (Matt Damon's character) dad was a legendary con man. In 12, Linus' mom either is or was impersonating a government official to get the crew released. I just assumed Debbie (Sandra Bullock) is Danny's sister or cousin or another ex-wife in between Tess.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Mindy Kaling being in this movie totally turns me off.

For me it's Helena Bonham Carter.  I just can't stand her. 

There's misogyny in the amount of plastic surgery the leads seem to have had in order to stay in front of the camera. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, navelgazer said:

There's misogyny in the amount of plastic surgery the leads seem to have had in order to stay in front of the camera. 

Especially with Mindy.  She looks like a completely different person.  That's what turns me off about her inclusion.  Anne Hathaway looks very different, and Sandra's been botoxing for the past 15 years.

I'm very excited about the movie though.  I'm a huge Rihanna and Sandra fan, the cast is somewhat diverse, and of course Cate is very talented.  I'll enjoy most movies with so many women in the cast, plus I love fashion and this movie promises a lot in that respect.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

I'm into it. It looks fun and fabulous... I liked the other Oceans movies because they were fun and fabulous.

Also, this has Richard Armitage instead of Julia Roberts so that's a big honking bonus for me. (Look, I can't stand Julia Roberts but I particularly resent her in the Oceans movies because I didn't find her chemistry with Clooney to be so amazing as to make it believable that he would go through so much to get her back. I didn't buy her relationship to Terry Benedict, either. It was all lifeless and then I had to listen to Linus be all 'this is the best part of my day' when she comes down the stairs looking like a dreary wet blanket. There was no gravitas to her at all.)

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

So Anne's the bad guy, not part of the team?

Oh well.  I'm curious enough to give it a shot.

I don't know if she's the bad guy as much as the mark. I know Terry Benedict was the mark in 11, but he was also dating the ughmazing Tess, which makes him the bad guy because he was an impediment to Danny and Tess getting back together.

@Dandesun I wasn't a fan of Julia Roberts as Tess either. Although, I did sort of like Julia playing Tess playing Julia in 12. It was meta and she was charming enough in those scenes.

18 hours ago, anna0852 said:
21 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Mindy Kaling being in this movie totally turns me off.

And for me she's one of the reasons I *want* to see it.

I'm with Simones. "Why can't we go to this? Do we have to steal stuff?" Loved it.

At least it doesn't have anyone doing a horrible accent *coughs* Don Cheadle *coughs*.

They imply Danny Ocean died but I bet he shows up alive in a surprise cameo.

Edited by VCRTracking

Ha! Seriously. I keep thinking of the Golden Globes when Tina Fey did the whole 'Gravity. A movie where George Clooney would rather float away into space and die than spend one more minute with a woman his own age!'

• Love 9

I am so into this.  I loved the original trilogy,  they were fun, worth rewatching (many times), and didn't make me want my time or money back. I'm not a fan of Rihanna, but I think the major focus will be Cate and Sandra (maybe Mindy as third). 

It actually seems to ride the line between reboot and remake. There are definite familar elements. 

On 12/18/2017 at 3:02 PM, JustaPerson said:

At first I thought this was a gender flipped remake of Ocean's 11, but it isn't. Tbh I'm a bit disappointed it isn't.

I 'm disappointed how much this does (to me) look like a gender flipped Ocean's 11. I still want to see this, and it looks fun; but I really just wanted a female-led heist movie that could stand on its own, not necessarily connected to Ocean's 11. Just from the trailer, they seem to have copied a bunch of stuff from the Ocean's trilogy (and I only liked, not loved the first one.)

9 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

They imply Danny Ocean died but I bet he shows up alive in a surprise cameo.

Ugh - I'm dreading the cameos already. I don't want any of the previous cast to show up.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, BetterButter said:

dano.jpg

9 hours ago, Trini said:

Ugh - I'm dreading the cameos already. I don't want any of the previous cast to show up.

Well, Debbie is drinking a martini at Danny's mausoleum plaque. I imagine Rusty is standing behind her eating an entire cheese steak.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, BetterButter said:

dano.jpg

Thanks.  Someone else just mentioned it to me as well.  My thought is that this is their father and this is where we get the George Clooney possible cameo.  Brother and sister reunite at father's grave? The death year looks like 2008, but can't make out the birth year.  Or the grave is a front because Danny and Tess needed to disappear.

Seems pretty short sighted to kill Clooney's character.  He and Sandra are friends IRL, I'm sure he would cameo if she asked.  I would also imagine that if this new trilogy is successful and makes a lot of money, in 8-10 years we would eventually get a 7th Ocean's movie combining both casts in one huge heist. 

Edited by JBC344
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Dandesun said:

The dates on the wall there are 1961-2018. So it's definitely Clooney's Danny. That being said, it probably is a long con or something and he'll show up in some manner...

And then fling himself off into space.

Thanks for the dates.  Yeah, I'm going with a "fake" death on Danny Ocean.