Type keyword(s) to search

Ocean's Eight (2017)

Kromm
  • Start Topic

On 12/20/2017 at 11:18 AM, JBC344 said:

I would also imagine that if this new trilogy is successful and makes a lot of money, in 8-10 years we would eventually get a 7th Ocean's movie combining both casts in one huge heist. 

The rebooted trilogy ended at 13. The female spin off will likely end at 10. They're going to have to hurry if they want to make Ocean's 25. We've already lost Bernie Mac. Carl Reiner is 96 in 2018. Elliott Gould is 79. They can add in Julia, Ellen Barkin, and Catherine Zeta for 25.

2 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

They can add in Julia, Ellen Barkin, and Catherine Zeta for 25.

I still can't believe they didn't include any of those three in this film.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Dee said:

I still can't believe they didn't include any of those three in this film.

My guess is they wanted to distance themselves "somewhat" from the last set of movies.  We know this one takes place in the same time period and Debbie is Danny's sister, but that is as far as they wanted to include for this first one.  I wouldn't be surprised if any from the last set made a cameo in the second movie.

• Love 1

I saw it this afternoon. Sadly, I was a little underwhelmed. The acting was fine, but the story was a little weak. It picked up a bit in the second half, but it was missing the zip I expected out of a heist movie. There was also a fair bit of product placement that interrupted the flow. Did Mindy K's character really need to learn how Tinder works in a scene unrelated to anything that came before it (and only related in a threadbare kind of way to something that came after it)? For a while there, it was name drop after name drop. I'm also generally not amused when real life celebs are in movies playing themselves, so the parts around the Met Gala involving them fell flat to me. Actually, maybe that was a big part of it - centering the heist around the Met Gala made it drag a bit for me.

Sandy B and her German probably got the biggest laugh out of me.

• Love 7

Tom and Lorenzo wonder if the movie was geared to their demographic.  When they saw it, gay guys were the major demographic in their audience.  And they talk about how well the movie will reach out to folks for whom the Meta Gala isn't important.  
I really liked this review maybe because New York isn't my neighborhood (but fun to read about with no wishes to participate).

This was both more than I expected and exactly what I wanted.

It was zippy and funny and told with style, I really enjoyed myself while watching it. Anne Hathaway was definitely the standout but they were all pretty fantastic. That said, I hope they don't do a sequel. Just let a movie be good without trying to build a trilogy.

• Love 10
(edited)

I thought this was a pretty good movie, but James Corden can not act. I don't know how he got cast as the insurance investigator Frazier, he must be extorting an executive producer or the director. Just because you have a English accent, it doesn't make you suave, debonair, or a good actor.

Edited by dttruman
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, enoughcats said:

Tom and Lorenzo wonder if the movie was geared to their demographic.  When they saw it, gay guys were the major demographic in their audience.  And they talk about how well the movie will reach out to folks for whom the Meta Gala isn't important.  
I really liked this review maybe because New York isn't my neighborhood (but fun to read about with no wishes to participate).

That's interesting, because in my neck of the woods, queer ladies have been salivating at the prospect of this movie. I can't tell you how many had their fingers crossed, chanting 'please let one of them be a lesbian/bi'. Spoiler alert: missed opportunity.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

That was fun!  Anne Hathaway stole the movie and took it home in her purse but everyone did great.  I expect a 9 and I look forward to it. 

I agree.

Saw it yesterday and as a fan of the previous ones, I was happy with this one too. A fun heist movie is never a bad thing imho.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, kdm07 said:

A fun heist movie is never a bad thing imho.

Samesies. Plus now I want to go skateboarding with Awkwafina. (I am old and would probably die doing so. Behold the power of movies!)

My one disappointment is how bad, bad, bad Sarah Paulson's wig is. I do not understand how such a thing is possible.

Richard Armitage is eye candy. right?

• Love 5

Anne Hathaway was great and her energy level felt like it was a different movie. Helena Bonham C was also great.   I know Sandra B and Cate B were supposed to be super cool but they felt like they were sleep walking to me.  I would have liked a little more focus on some of the supporting characters. I liked the heist but there was something missing in this movie for me.  

Maybe it needed Steven Soderbergh. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I just got back from seeing Ocean’s 8 and really, really liked it. It was exactly what I wanted from a summer popcorn movie. That said, I do agree it also lost a little zip somewhere along the way—I think there were too many twists/a little too much plot and not enough character (see below).

All the actresses were somewhere between solid and really good, but Anne Hathaway was definitely the standout. You could tell she was having an absolute and utter ball with the role. I think HBC also had a good time going a bit outside of her comfort zone/playing a parody of herself.

My biggest gripe is that I wanted more of the actresses hanging out and doing buddy comedy things. I’m disappointed that the scene of Sandra Bullock and Sarah Paulson bickering over the computer got cut, for example (the one that ran in trailers). The fun of a movie like this is in seeing the buddy chemistry between the actresses, and the cast had it in spades—I especially wanted more of Bullock and Blanchett just strolling around NYC looking fabulous. But there weren’t many scenes of the group just hanging around playing off each other, and we didn’t really get a sense of the group dynamic. The writers could have had a lot of fun with the generation gap, for example, between Bullock/Blanchett/Paulson/HBC and Awkwafina/Rihanna/Kaling(/Hathaway), or between the characters who had worked together before and the newbies. They did a good job kind of defining each character with the introductions and some of the initial interactions, but then it became a lot of plot and it felt like the characters got a bit lost. I would’ve shaved some of the twists off (like the magnet on the necklace, all of the Corden plot, or even the heist-within-a-heist, tbh) and just let the characters just interact more. I just don’t really care about the logistics of the heist, you know? I am way more interested in seeing the characters interact and having them drive the movie, not the plot.

There were definitely some giggle-snort lines, but my favorite may have been Sarah Paulson’s meek “eBay?” I died.

That's interesting, because in my neck of the woods, queer ladies have been salivating at the prospect of this movie. I can't tell you how many had their fingers crossed, chanting 'please let one of them be a lesbian/bi'. Spoiler alert: missed opportunity.

And given the way Debbie talked about her partnership with Lou—“Lou and I had hit a rough patch”—the opportunity was RIGHT THERE!

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 7

I thought it was great fun and was so happy when Hathaway's character was revealed to be part of the heist. She was definitely fun throughout. I thought all the woman looked fabulous throughout but I did laughed during Debbie's parole review. Her makeup and hair was extremely perfect/top-notch for someone who wouldn't have access to fancy salons/make-up artist/hair-products/makeup.

• Love 5

A perfectly pleasant movie, which is pretty much the norm for this property, other than the 2001 remake, which Soderbergh elevated with his level of craft (something he didn't do in the sequels).

Cutting down the number of characters was definitely a good thing relative to the earlier trilogy, though even then a number of people are not given especially big parts (which I think is also a function of how relatively simple the heist in this is, and how much of it involves using computers).

Bullock and Hathaway were the standouts in the cast.  I really liked Awkwafina in her smaller role as well.

• Love 3

I thought the writing was a bit weak... but the amazing cast overcame it and the result was just a plain fun movie that never dragged even if it never quite hit the heights it might have. Loved all the characters and would absolutely watch a sequel.

Definitely a strong queer lady presence in my opening night screening, although the rest of the crowd was a real mix age/race/gender-wise. Big cheer went up when Debbie Ocean said she wanted to inspire young girls to become criminals (or whatever it was). I wish a film like this had been around when I was a little girl, I can tell you. Say what you will about "gender flip" movies, but it is fresh to see female characters just get to be cool people who rob diamonds or hunt ghosts without being overtly sexualized or traumatized or exist mostly in relation to a dude.  

• Love 14

I really liked it. It was a fun movie and all the ladies were wonderful.

1 complaint though, I don't know if it was just me but I could not hear/understand some of the lines; either they spoke to fast or were mumbling them and I was like " What did she say" to my sister, and she would be like I didn't catch it either. Please enunciate people! One scene this happened in was when Lou and Debbie go see Rose backstage at her show and Rose is reading the bloggers review of her clothes, couldn't understand half of what Helena Bonham Carter was saying.

Maybe I'm just used to the CC on all TV shows I watch.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/8/2018 at 8:24 PM, afterbite said:

Some talk on Twitter/Letterboxd about how erotic Sandra and Cate were together, and that Cate cannot read as straight since Carol :)  Also Sandra says "Lou and I were going through a rough patch" and I thought she meant romantically!  Everyone has different interpretations.  Also Sarah Paulson is out in real life.

Anyway, my friends and I DID enjoy ourselves, but I was a bit let down.  I paid too much attention to the promo - my fault.  Some parts were great, the resolution I thought was really problematic and a let down.  I actually liked the climax the best, the whole Met Gala thing.  The lead up had its good points too.  But not happy with the resolution.  It definitely lacked something that makes a movie feel really satisfying.

The clothes are too die for.  The music was great.  I definitely liked the non-cliche choices.  For me the highlights were Sandra, Helena Bonham Carter, and James Corden.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
On 6/9/2018 at 8:22 AM, Camille said:

I thought it was terrific, though I'm a little disappointed that there wasn't a last minute cameo by Clooney.

I agree, I was expecting him to tap her on the shoulder (from behind) there at the end.

• Love 4
(edited)

I love the Chrises as much as anyone, but Richard Armitage is hot AF. I doubt she would have been happy with Damien Lewis either, who was originally supposed to be Claude. Richard Armitage was so nice about it!

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 5

Funny how someone can be so wrong in so many tweets.

The most implausible line in the movie was Sandra Bullock saying she wanted a team of all women because women are invisible, which would be fine except the heist was at...the MET Gala! Anywhere but the MET Gala (except for the Oscars, Grammys, Emmys...basically any awards show)!

• Love 10
(edited)

I'll follow Richard Armitage based off of that.

No, I do agree with Sandra's character that men stick out like a sore thumb at the Met Gala.  You expect to see many women in gowns.  You don't expect to see men, or women in suits.  After the Met Gala, the media really does fawn over the men as if men cannot dress themselves or have a stylist or pick out a cool outfit.

But I also get your point as well.......  

Chris Pine would be like THE MOST CLICHE CHOICE EVER.  Why not a non-white man, or a woman?!!  For crying out loud.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, voiceover said:

I had no interest in seeing this movie until I heard Richard Armitage was in it.

People who don't get him: here's a link to the end of North and South. And you're welcome.

I'm not even into guys, but after that movie, he took a top slot on my 'Well, maybe?' list.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, afterbite said:

I'm not even into guys, but after that movie, he took a top slot on my 'Well, maybe?' list.

Still laughing my butt off?

He was the first villain in any Robin Hood story ever, I thought: "Hey Marian!  Dump the skinny stoner & get with *this* guy!"

• Love 4

I like Richard Armitage just fine, but I thought the whole character was unnecessary.  I didn't like the revenge plot.

They didn't even address a glaring plot failure, that being the insurance investigator not immediately putting two and two together that Paulson's character just happened to be hired last minute for the GAAUGH-la and she just happened to "find" the necklace.  Also, the laws of physics probably wouldn't allow that necklace to jump from Anne's neck into the fountain water.

• Love 10
52 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

They probably shouldn't have added the special key magnet to release the necklace bit, because that made it impossible for the necklace to fall off while she was running. 

Eh....she was running with her head way down, so maybe they figured it slipped off in her speed. 

It's also possible that James Corden's character didn't bother to look at Sarah Paulson's character because she was one of a bunch of interchangeable blond ladies working for the Gala. And if she was hired under a false identity/resume, there's no reason to assume she has any connection to Debbie Ocean. 

Also, I feel like OF COURSE there's going to be plotholes galore in a movie like this...but I enjoy the rube goldberg plan, and watching the heist ladies run around flirting with each other and just being badass was worth it...it didn't need a plot when it had Sandra Bullock animatedly yelling at people in German and Cate Blanchett wearing those impossibly hot suits. 

• Love 16
5 minutes ago, questionfear said:

It's also possible that James Corden's character didn't bother to look at Sarah Paulson's character because she was one of a bunch of interchangeable blond ladies working for the Gala.

They literally added her to the team because of how easily she blends in with the many other look-a-likes.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, questionfear said:

Eh....she was running with her head way down, so maybe they figured it slipped off in her speed. 

It's also possible that James Corden's character didn't bother to look at Sarah Paulson's character because she was one of a bunch of interchangeable blond ladies working for the Gala. And if she was hired under a false identity/resume, there's no reason to assume she has any connection to Debbie Ocean. 

Also, I feel like OF COURSE there's going to be plotholes galore in a movie like this...but I enjoy the rube goldberg plan, and watching the heist ladies run around flirting with each other and just being badass was worth it...it didn't need a plot when it had Sandra Bullock animatedly yelling at people in German and Cate Blanchett wearing those impossibly hot suits. 

They said the only way to remove the necklace is by the key so how would it just fall off because her head was down? That was supposed to be their security. They even showed Constance using the key 9 Ball's sister made them to remove the necklace.

I did enjoy the movie, that part just bothered me since they brought attention to it. 

• Love 3
(edited)

The magnet issue made me raise an eyebrow, too, but the thing that I couldn't stop wondering was whether or not someone from Cartier would have been immediately brought in, while the guests were still there, to verify that it was the real necklace.

I enjoyed the movie anyway.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 2
On 6/8/2018 at 9:24 PM, afterbite said:

I mean, they didn't say it out loud, but nobody can convince me that Lou wasn't 110% gay. Debbie feeding her off her own fork and the lines about them having a "rough patch" and the like were pretty intentional, too, I thought!

I agree that some more interaction between the various characters would have been nice, and I thought the "twist" of the bigger heist was pretty predictable, but I still enjoyed it. It was fun. It was nice to see a bunch of ladies working together with nobody trying to screw each other over, even when some of them could easily have gotten away with a bigger cut.

• Love 11
13 hours ago, Cranberry said:

I mean, they didn't say it out loud, but nobody can convince me that Lou wasn't 110% gay. Debbie feeding her off her own fork and the lines about them having a "rough patch" and the like were pretty intentional, too, I thought!

I say this with the understanding that it's one part of a larger phenomenon, but I think people are growing increasingly disgruntled by subtext or after the fact reveals. You know, the have your cake and eat it too - wink wink at the queer audience, but dear god in heaven, let's not actually make anyone really queer.

I am not as disturbed about it as some, but I do find it irritating when you see it over and over and over and over and over and over.......

• Love 14
(edited)

Agree with you on that, @afterbite.  I felt like there was some queerbaiting going on, as people call it.  Make Lou out and proud, why not.  And perhaps Debbie Ocean was bi - again, why not.  There are so many great reasons WHY... for representation, for diversity purposes.  There are no good reasons why not.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queerbaiting

I have similar annoyances multiracial actors being given white siblings and white parents and/or being made orphans onscreen because God forbid people figure out they're not fully white or God forbid there's more multiracial /people of colour representation onscreen (Rashida Jones in "I Love you Man", Hailee Steinfeld in "Edge of Seventeen".)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8

I just saw it and thought it was great. I think it is just after 12 for my favorite, and as someone else said, that's mainly due to Soderbergh.  Loved the twist at the end.

And this is one of the first movies I really liked HBC in. And Rhiana didn't annoy me. It's a win all around.

• Love 1

This was a thing I watched on a lazy Sunday. I liked the cast a lot, but the heist was so weak. There are a lot more plot twists and turns in a single episode of Prison Break than there are in this entire movie. I actually thought the magnet clasp on the necklace would add some much needed tension, but that conflict was immediately resolved. 

• Love 6

I haven't seen this movie but came here to see what those who did felt after I have read some bad reviews. I had to skim the posts so as not to get spoiled much, but it seems to me that this could be a fun watch.

Nothing else to say, except thank you all for your views:)

I loved it, and I didn't even lik the other movies. Maybe it was because the team was more condensed...

So happy that Daphne was in on it all the time. You could tell Anne Hathaway was having fun playing the entitled snobby actress trope; maybe it was a subtle nod to all the ridiculous hate she was getting a couple of years ago.

LOL at Daphne sitting next to Katie Holmes at the Met Gala because of Anne's Katie impression on SNL.

And I too wondered if Debbie and Lou were a couple because of the "rough patch" comment. Nothing wrong with them bring just friends/partners in crime, but I kind of wish they went there.

The jewelry porn was gorgeous.

I'd love it if they did another one!

• Love 3

I was expecting Daphne to be a part of it merely because they were lacking a member to meet the number in the title, but she wasn't in on it from the start. She got in when she figured out HBC was planning something. I don't really want to think about how she actually got into contact with Debbie and Lou, because it feelslike that would spoil how much I enjoyed the movie. And it was a lot. I was laughing all the way through. 

High five to Daphne hitting it before Claude was taken away by the cops. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, bijoux said:

I was expecting Daphne to be a part of it merely because they were lacking a member to meet the number in the title, but she wasn't in on it from the start. She got in when she figured out HBC was planning something. 

Right, my mistake. Still, I loved how she just dropped the vapid act like that. Not to mention that she joined in because she didn't have a lot of female friends and she'd rather steal stuff than be in a book club, LOL.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, bijoux said:

I was expecting Daphne to be a part of it merely because they were lacking a member to meet the number in the title, but she wasn't in on it from the start. She got in when she figured out HBC was planning something. I don't really want to think about how she actually got into contact with Debbie and Lou, because it feelslike that would spoil how much I enjoyed the movie. And it was a lot. I was laughing all the way through.

I assumed that Deb and Lou realized that Daphne was catching on that something was off, and reached out to her on their own initiative. 

• Love 7

Saw this yesterday. I was looking forward to this movie ever since they were filming it, and was hoping it would deliver. It has some of my favorite actresses in it - Sandra, Cate, Anne - so I had high hopes. It didn't disappoint. It was a fun summer movie! Sandra was a capable heist leader, but my favorite was Cate. Damn if she didn't look mighty fine in that glittery green jumpsuit!

Did Anne really not remember Awkwafina helping her barf, or was she already playing her part in the heist by that time?

And I'm so glad they addressed the part of robbing the entire museum off, not just the Cartier jewelry! While they were going around the museum, I was thinking they have a lot of good stuff in there too! While maybe not 150M on its own, altogether it will be a very valuable amount!

On a side note, Cate and Sandra were the top contenders for the Oscars Best Actress trophy a few years ago, with Cate coming out on top. It's good to see them buddy up in this movie. 

• Love 3