Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

"So Joe, when you had these four female roommates, were you a sexual deviant?"

I was kind of hoping for a "well I like dudes soooooo" response. 

• Love 10

I have a list of "Oh no. It's 'the other one'"---Upton Sinclair/Sinclair Lewis, Monet/Manet, Brigham Young/Joseph Smith, UCLA/USC, Thoreau/Emerson. I'm sure there are others. No matter which one I say, it's always "the other one". Even if I do the "I want to say this, so I'll say that instead, it turns out I should have said this.

I'm like that with the Caspian & Black Seas.

For the Brit generals, I so confidently blurted out Burgoyne. The cats glared at me.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Fex said:

Less than a week ago, I got "permission" from a librarian friend to quit reading Naked Lunch because I hated it so, so much. So I definitely knew that answer! I stuck it out for quite a while, because I could tell Burroughs was a talented writer, but I just couldn't enjoy being grossed out!

And there's a movie! I haven't seen it or read the book, but I remember reading about the film and its grossness. David Cronenberg directed it.

10 hours ago, Fex said:

I felt like I knew nothing in the Jeopardy round, but was totally on fire for Double Jeopardy. Was it easier, or just the luck of categories?

In the first round I thought I was going to ace the Classical Music category, then I missed the last one. I knew Hayden wrote the Surprise Symphony, but his name just wouldn't emerge from my brain.

• Love 3

Ouisconsin?  Who knew?

Me. I was an undergrad at the U of Wisconsin (I was a grad student at New Mexico State, but to my knowledge they've never asked anything about THAT).

For FJ, I knew the river was in Asia and I decided that the Great Wall of China could be considered a form of transportation.

So did I, except I was clapping with one hand rather than face/palming.

• Love 1

I knew Hayden wrote the Surprise Symphony, but his name just wouldn't emerge from my brain.

"Papa Haydn wrote this tune. A la chord is coming soon. There will be a big surprise. Open sleepy eyes. CRASH!"

They didn't use "This is the symphony that Shubert wrote and never finished."

• Love 2

I remembered a previous FJ question (not all that long ago) about the Trans Siberian Railway so got FJ right away. Actually, I pre-called it when I saw the category.  Mr.Trey and the cats were very impressed.

Congrats to the new champ.  I like her but hope she picks up the pace a little in choosing a clue.

• Love 2

When someone says their job is "Drug Testing & DNA Analysis", don't you automatically think "drug testing=pee in a cup" and not "drug testing=does this drug work/have side effects"? Alex seemed to think it was the latter and I thought (correctly) that it's the former, but I was wondering if it was just me or if everyone thinks "testing drugs" instead of "testing for drugs"?

• Love 4

I don't want to jinx the new champ by saying I like her, so...I don't dislike her. But yeah, she needs to pick up the pace in choosing clues. Very cool that she reads hieroglyphics, and I loved her saying she chose her major because she's a practical person. LOL 

TS I got: Last of the Mohicans (missed DD), Philippines (lucky guess), NE (another lucky guess), George III (missed DD; the word 'abdication' made it obvious to me, but then again I was sitting in my recliner, not in the hot seat). Not sure why Jon thought 'Washington' was an acceptable response to the 'ou' DD. Not that I got it, but Washington was named after a person, & AFAIK there is no alternate spelling of George's name. Maybe GW was on his brain after the Revolutionary War category. But again, me = recliner not hot seat. 

23 hours ago, illdoc said:

I have a list of "Oh no. It's 'the other one'"---Upton Sinclair/Sinclair Lewis, Monet/Manet, Brigham Young/Joseph Smith, UCLA/USC, Thoreau/Emerson. I'm sure there are others. No matter which one I say, it's always "the other one". Even if I do the "I want to say this, so I'll say that instead, it turns out I should have said this.

Yes to all of the above, and add many classical composers. Surprisingly, I only missed the last clue in Tuesday's classical category. My dad would be so proud! 

16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I don't think so -- didn't you have to use just the words in the clue (and ALL the words in the clue, middle guy!)?

Exactly. I liked Buzz and his facial expressions, but I was glad when they caught the omission. 

14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Yes. This was a prime example of why you shouldn't jump to the bottom clue in a new category. I had no idea what to think about a possible answer.

I had noted Buzz leaving out the "and", so I'm glad the judges caught up with me. :)

ITA

14 hours ago, Pallida said:

I was kind of hoping for a "well I like dudes soooooo" response. 

Oh definitely! Even if not true, it would have been worth it for the smackdown to Alex. 

14 minutes ago, illdoc said:

When someone says their job is "Drug Testing & DNA Analysis", don't you automatically think "drug testing=pee in a cup" and not "drug testing=does this drug work/have side effects"? Alex seemed to think it was the latter and I thought (correctly) that it's the former, but I was wondering if it was just me or if everyone thinks "testing drugs" instead of "testing for drugs"?

I thought the same as you. 

• Love 2
(edited)
18 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I hope Chantelle picks up the pace in choosing clues.  Nothing more entertaining than watching someone stare at the board.

I got The Last of the Mohicans, end run, Nebraska, King George III, and Wisconsin.

I, too, guessed Orient Express for FJ.

I thought of Wisconsin, then said Wyoming for some stupid reason.  Also didn't get George III, even though it made perfect sense.  I did get a lot of other TSs.  I said the Via Appia for FJ - obviously I have no idea where the Amur river is.

I really hope Chantelle is a one-and-done champ.  I don't like how slow she is at picking clues, and her hunching over the podium bugs me.  Plus, what was up with the weird way she pronounced Wagner?

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

I got Trans Siberian Railroad because I love Planet Earth, and they have a lovely segment in the first series about the Amur snow leopard, so I knew the right area.  And those images of the leopards crossing rocks and cliffs and freezing rivers are so easy to call up, I then went--Russian-->cold-->Siberia!

• Love 2
(edited)

I'll take contestants who read the entire category every single freaking time for $200 please. Mike almost made me dislike a baseball category, which I didn't think was possible.

I got:

Gloria Stein, New Orleans, wild oats, Davis Cup, Condi Rice (although the idea of Madeline Albright growing up in Alabama amused me), Tom Sawyer, and Bright Lights, Big City. Also, I never get the who invented the world wide web question correct because I'm always too busy making an Al Gore joke.

I didn't get FJ and slapped my forehead when Mike's correct response was revealed. How quickly I've forgotten...  And it wasn't even before my time!

Edited by teebax
  • Love 10
(edited)

Chantelle acts like she's in pain.  I hope she's not, but the hunching and distressed look on her face makes me nervous for some reason.

I got New Orleans (missed DD), wild oats, malt, Condoleezza Rice, Bartholdi (another missed DD), and Bright Lights, Big City.

I barely got FJ in time.  I wouldn't have had time to write it down.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 3
(edited)

I love reading the bios of Secretaries of State, I know, I'm a riot at parties. But Condi studied International Studies at University of Denver under Albright's father. I think Condi knew one the girls killed in the Birmingham tragedy. Wasn't this on jeopardy recently or was it on Who Wants to be a Millionaire? Whatever show, I wished it were my question.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, teebax said:

I'll take contestants who read the entire category every single freaking time for $200 please. Mike almost made me dislike a baseball category, which I didn't think was possible.

It almost got to be funny. Almost.

I got only New Orleans, Gertrude Stein, and Davis Cup, as well as the FJ of Charlie Chaplin. Instead of Mayans, I said Incas. It's like Sinclair Lewis and Upton Sinclair all over again.

Oh, and instead of Martha Graham, I said Agnes de Mille. I confused Appalachian Spring with Rodeo. 

• Love 4

Joe's wild guesses were driving me nuts. 

Same here. Did he not realize he was losing tons of money and the lead when he did that? Ugh!

So much yes to those of you who pointed out how Buzz blew a perfectly good $2,000 by jumping to the bottom of a new category. Ugh again.

Frida Kahlo with a picture? I got the Louisiana DD and for TS, wild oats, Davis Cup, and malt. FJ was an instaget.

And I'm going to need Chantelle to speed it up and stop mumbling like she's playing Jeopardy! alone in her living room.

• Love 5

Jeopardy, are you spying on me? Last week, I had just given up on Naked Lunch, and it was a question. I watched Chaplin three days ago, and tonight it's FJ! So that was an easy one for me :) I wouldn't have known it otherwise, but it's possible that I would have guessed right.

I was surprised that no one got wild oats or Condaleezza Rice.

• Love 6

It was Tim! Tim...something! That's all I could get out. They probably wouldn't have accepted that. At least if you got Berners-Lee, you wouldn't have to be more specific. 

Was Chaplin really 1992? That seems too recent...and then I remember that 1992 was 25 years ago and feel very, very sad. I think someone else said this upthread, but my brain skips right over the '00s (or aughts, as I think of them) when looking back.

• Love 8

I got FJ right away!  

Also the shame of Chaplin only getting honorary Oscars instead of actual director ones....

Yeah, I agree - on similar lines I always felt that the Best Director Oscar doesn't really count as a real award because Alfred Hitchcock never won. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I might have nearly thrown my remote at the TV when Alex pronounced genre.

Me, too. Every.single.time.

5 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

The man on the middle with the entire clues being read....just so wrong.  Contestants:  "Stop doing that!!"

From your mouth to God's ear :/ 

• Love 1
(edited)

Two, count 'em, TWO, Elvis Costello clues in the same category!  Where were they when I was on Jeopardy?  (Yes, I got them both right.)  The main reason I picked up High Fidelity in the first place was the bit on the back of the book describing how the record store employees made up Top 5 lists all the time, including Top 5 Elvis Costello Songs.  High Fidelity wouldn't be on my Top 5 EC Songs list, but it is a terrific book.

I did pretty well with stumpers in this game, and then didn't get FJ in a category on which I would've bet everything.  Totally forgot about Charlie Chaplin, although RDJ completely deserved that nomination.

Phooey - another day of Chantelle.  Yay.  Although my choices were her, really dumb in the first round Tracy, and had to read the entire category title for every pick Mike.  I went with Tracy in the end because she picked up her game in DJ.

10 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I liked Mike's answer of Babylonians.  LOL.

I will confess to saying Aztecs.  At least mine were actually in Mesoamerica.  I will claim to not have heard the entire clue since I was in the kitchen; that may, or may not, have made a difference.  It certainly would've for Appalachian Spring, where I answered Aaron Copland because I thought they were asking for the composer.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3

I think this is the 3rd day in a row that a scoring correction was needed. Step it up Alex & judges!

TS I got were wild oats, Davis Cup, New Orleans (although I disagree with Mr. Twain), Condi Rice, Mayans, Tom Sawyer, Bright Lights Big City. I guessed Ed Wood for FJ even though I knew that Martin Landau won the Oscar for his portrayal  - not that the clue would necessarily mention that so as not to give too much away - and I thought the move was after 1992 (IMBD tells me it was 1994). Like Tracy, Dr. Toothbrush said Disney, but neither of us was too sure of our guess. For good reason as it turns out lol

15 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Chantelle acts like she's in pain.  I hope she's not, but the hunching and distressed look on her face makes me nervous for some reason.

I thinks she's just really nervous. Hopefully she'll stick around & relax. 

12 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I might have nearly thrown my remote at the TV when Alex pronounced genre.

Yes! And there was an artist's (I think) name too. 

11 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I liked Mike's answer of Babylonians.  LOL.

That was pretty WTF, but I can barely talk considering some of the stupid answers that come out of my mouth. But at least I got this one right. LOL! 

5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

It's like I have a twin!

triplets!

42 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

It certainly would've for Appalachian Spring, where I answered Aaron Copland because I thought they were asking for the composer.

Me: "I know the composer!" 

• Love 2

I guessed Ed Wood for FJ 

For some reason, that's the first thing that occurred to me and I couldn't get it out of my head! I knew it was wrong, but couldn't come up with anything else, even though it wasn't before my time, Alex :)

Mike almost made me dislike a baseball category, which I didn't think was possible.

Ditto. I wanted to reach through the screen and shake him. And then going for the $2,000 clue right away and wasting it because no one understood it? Have to say I'm glad he didn't win, I don't think I could have watched a second day. 

"High Fidelity" is still one of my favorite EC songs.

I, too, was amused by Madeline Albright being a Southerner! 

• Love 3

I always enjoy when I can come here and confess my stupidity.  I knew Wisconsin on Monday, but my little pea-brain did take a detour through the great state of "Wabash".  I know many of those Midwestern places had been named by French explorers, and I always remember the Wabash River came out "Ouabache" in French, a spelling which is just aesthetically pleasing to me for some reason.  Evidently I liked it enough to try to make it a state.

I've been crap on the FJs this week.

Oh, and did Alex really give them "French cross of war" when they had to come up with Croix de Guerre?  C'mon, writers.

• Love 2

My ts's were wild oats, Davis Cup, Condoleeza Rice and Mayans - also laughed at Mike's answer of Babylonians:) .  And knew at least some of you would have something to say about his reading the category in its entirety, for every single clue, at least in the baseball category.  Didn't really notice if he did it for other categories.

When my son was learning to play guitar he went through a spell when Tom Sawyer was the only song he played - over and over and over - so I should have got that one but didn't because I wasn't quite understanding the clues in that Song:Book category - or possibly my brain just wasn't working fast enough.

John Wayne came to mind for FJ even though I didn't think there was any movie made about him.  But once he got into my head I couldn't move on.  Of course I smacked my head when Charlie Chaplin was revealed as the correct answer.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Trey said:

My ts's were wild oats, Davis Cup, Condoleeza Rice and Mayans - also laughed at Mike's answer of Babylonians:) .  And knew at least some of you would have something to say about his reading the category in its entirety, for every single clue, at least in the baseball category.  Didn't really notice if he did it for other categories.

When my son was learning to play guitar he went through a spell when Tom Sawyer was the only song he played - over and over and over - so I should have got that one but didn't because I wasn't quite understanding the clues in that Song:Book category - or possibly my brain just wasn't working fast enough.

John Wayne came to mind for FJ even though I didn't think there was any movie made about him.  But once he got into my head I couldn't move on.  Of course I smacked my head when Charlie Chaplin was revealed as the correct answer.

I like the song Tom Sawyer, but I think if I had to hear it over and over and over again, I'd suppress it and a defense mechanism would kick in that wouldn't let me think of it :)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Pallida said:

I like the song Tom Sawyer, but I think if I had to hear it over and over and over again, I'd suppress it and a defense mechanism would kick in that wouldn't let me think of it :)

That is probably exactly what happened:)

• Love 2

I know zilch about English history, was Edward enough of an answer for FJ?

The last DD was ridiculously easy considering they highlighted "C" in the clue.

I like the champ because he kept going back to the basketball category.

• Love 7

I cannot believe that Carbon, given the letter C, was a freaking Daily Double.  Couldn't they come up with a more challenging element than Carbon?  Shoot, even Mn, one of the other clues, would have been more appropriate!

Awww, poor Chuck Woolery -- or is that Kit Woolery?  Or Carson Woolery?  I remember you, Chuck!  The original host of Wheel of Fortune -- back when you had to buy tacky things instead of just winning cash.

Yet another subject I'd need to brush up on if I ever considered trying out for Jeopardy -- British monarchs.  I was clueless for FJ.

• Love 10
(edited)

Used to live near that Baha'i temple so I got Illinois right away. Also got Chuck Woolery. 

I like the new champ. Anyone that is a fan of  the Golden Girls is OK with me. I still use quotes from that show.

Edited by Miss Chevious
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The clue specified that it was Roman numeral I, so I'm not sure what else would have been needed. Then again, I also know nothing about English history.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, secnarf said:

The clue specified that it was Roman numeral I, so I'm not sure what else would have been needed. Then again, I also know nothing about English history.

Oh. Hahaha did it?  I missed that part because my eyes glazed over.

• Love 2

What a snoozefest.  All three contestants acted like they were going into comas.  Plus, Bala seemed to be bored out of his mind.

I know nothing about the periodic table and I even came up with carbon for that DD.

I got sinister and good old Chuck Woolery.

I guessed King John I for FJ.  I didn't know Longshanks was known for legal reform.  I thought he was famous for his brutality.  Now I need to go look this up.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I cannot believe that Carbon, given the letter C, was a freaking Daily Double.  Couldn't they come up with a more challenging element than Carbon?  Shoot, even Mn, one of the other clues, would have been more appropriate!

Right. That's a $200 or $400 clue at best given they said it started with C.  

With a $900 lead, I get why Bala only risked that much, but it's an $800 DD on the Periodic Table. Roger Craig would have bet the ranch. 

29 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Yet another subject I'd need to brush up on if I ever considered trying out for Jeopardy -- British monarchs.  I was clueless for FJ.

5 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Bala's accepted response was just Edward as the first was given. Edward Longshanks wasn't the first King of England named Edward either, but he is known as Edward I. How many King Edwards has England had?

• Love 2

All three contestants tonight were the slowest talkers! And yet they cleared the board, but I was worried they wouldn't. It was so obvious that they were all hunting for that last Daily Double, too. Can.... I.... please.... have.... Elements... for.... $$..... Alex.... 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

I was amazed by the Chuck Woolery brain-farting. I am only 34 years old and I know who Chuck Woolery is (or was, maybe he's dead, I don't know THAT part).

I was surprised people didn't know his name, also. He is definitely not dead; in fact, a quick google of his name shows that he very recently was involved in a scandal accusing him of anti-Semitism.

I wonder if the original "Vanna," Susan Stafford, will ever be a Jeopardy clue.

I thought the game was off to a bad start when "sinister" was a TS. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought all 3 contestants were kind of blah, though I think nerves got the better of Phyllis.

• Love 5
(edited)
5 hours ago, mojoween said:

The last DD was ridiculously easy considering they highlighted "C" in the clue.

I like the champ because he kept going back to the basketball category.

Basketball cost me my episode of jeopardy tonight, so I'm a little ticked off at it, even though I did watch the game.

My local affiliate did mange to show Wheel of Fortune, which was no help for me because I don't watch it. 

Edited by teebax
  • Love 2

was Edward enough of an answer for FJ?

I think so. In fact, I say yes. Especially since I bet all my imaginary money and Edward-without-the-one is what I blurted (thanks, Braveheart, skanky though that movie is on real history!)

• Love 4
3 hours ago, teebax said:

Basketball cost me my episode of jeopardy tonight, so I'm a little ticked off at it, even though I did watch the game.

My local affiliate did mange to show Wheel of Fortune, which was no help for me because I don't watch it. 

Did you check your overnight Listings? In SF they're showing it at 2 am but given that it's SF I wasn't upset the because go Warriors!

• Love 2

My only problem with Chantelle is that sometimes I couldn't make out her responses. If I knew the answer, not a problem, but when I didn't and she answered correctly, I still didn't know the answer.

My alma mater is going to demand my diploma back because in spite of 4 years as a history major, mostly British history and lots of medieval, I hesitated and said Henry? But changed it to Edward in time.

• Love 2

This is from a few days back, or last week, I got behind and doing reruns, but I am surprised they accepted Augusta golf club instead of the proper name Augusta National Golf Club in FJ.  And it was the difference between winning and losing. 

Its a proper name and the name is Augusta National Golf Club

• Love 3