Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I was worried for a minute when Kevin was leading, but thanks to his costly bad guesses we do not have to deal with his slow clue picking. I was waiting for him to be overruled for tenacity instead of tenacious. The clue was worded in a way that tenacious was the correct form of the word (can't remember how it was worded now), and the clue referenced D. AFAIK there is no Tenacity D. 

Rachel didn't hear me yelling bonnet either; too bad she heard me say Das Kapital for FJ. TS I got were Simon Legree (thanks to The King & I), Blue Apron, I Am The Cheese, and Ben Rothlisberger. 

5 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I'm pretty sure there is an l in walrus. (I know, I'm being a dick.)

3 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I was a dick, too.  It still didn't sound like walrus even when Alex asked him to repeat it.

Dr. Toothbrush & me too. 

• Love 4

The Columbus Mud Hens?!  Ugh.  I am a native of Toledo and that one hurt a little bit.  Also, I thought the Roethlisberger one was a trick question.  He is from Findlay, OH and that is a distinctly different town than Lima.  There are articles detailing that he had a "falling out" with Findlay because he didn't feel supported after the rape accusations, so he claims other Ohio places as his hometown.  I might have been arguing with the Jeopardy judges over commercial break in that one!  ?

• Love 3
8 hours ago, MooCat Pretzel said:

The Columbus Mud Hens?!  Ugh.  I am a native of Toledo and that one hurt a little bit.  Also, I thought the Roethlisberger one was a trick question.  He is from Findlay, OH and that is a distinctly different town than Lima.  There are articles detailing that he had a "falling out" with Findlay because he didn't feel supported after the rape accusations, so he claims other Ohio places as his hometown.  I might have been arguing with the Jeopardy judges over commercial break in that one!  ?

I believe that I read somewhere he grew up in Findlay and they do all hate each other, but he was born in Lima.  Now this is from the interwebs so that may or may not be true.

The guy who read the Toledo clue is what would happen if you needed to conjure up "Classic News Anchor Guy" from central casting.  He was perfect.

• Love 4

I was waiting for him to be overruled for tenacity instead of tenacious. The clue was worded in a way that tenacious was the correct form of the word (can't remember how it was worded now), and the clue referenced D. AFAIK there is no Tenacity D. 

I just KNEW they were going to come back after the break and correct his score but nope. That isn't a grey area just completely wrong - the "D" in the clue sealed it. UGH. I also don't know why Alex made such a big deal out of how Alan said "walrus" but let Stephanie by with "small intestines". And how do you miss "bonnets" when they give you NYC + parade + Easter?  /rant ends

For the TS I got Blue and I Am the Cheese. I remember choosing that from the library when I was a kid because I thought it was such a weird title LOL

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Well, salmon & almond have Ls, too. Maybe he just thinks "walrus" is like them & you don't pronounce it, unless you're from Philadelphia.

I don't pronounce the L's in salmon and almond, though some do, but I'm not sure I always pronounce it in walrus. I realize it's supposed to be pronounced, but if you're lazy you might say wah-rus. I think that's common.

10 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I was waiting for him to be overruled for tenacity instead of tenacious. The clue was worded in a way that tenacious was the correct form of the word (can't remember how it was worded now)

Was the clue asking for an adjective? I too was waiting for the judges for overrule.

8 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I knew the Toledo Mud Hens because Klinger on M*A*S*H* was such a big fan.

I knew Klinger was a fan, but I just couldn't remember Toledo. When the show originally aired, I thought Mud Hens was made up.

• Love 3

I'm not from Philadelphia (and don't understand that reference), but I pronounce the L in almond. Not the one in salmon, though.  I've never heard anyone pronounce walrus without the L.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I don't pronounce the L's in salmon and almond, though some do, but I'm not sure I always pronounce it in walrus. I realize it's supposed to be pronounced, but if you're lazy you might say wah-rus. I think that's common.

I've been sitting here while reading the board and saying it over and over again. I think I'm 50-50 when it comes to pronouncing the "l". When I don't, it's mostly a lazy tongue. I don't pronounce the L in almond or salmon - at least not distinctly. But depending on your regional accent (and first language) going from "ah" to "l" to "rus" might not be that easy to do.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I can't think how it would sound if you didn't say the "l" in almond.  Salmon I say like "saa-mon" but almond is "allmond," at least in my Central New York non-accented speech.

I've heard it pronounced very much the way you say salmon (aaa mond). I'm more "ahhhmond"

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1

Some of Kevin's guesses were doozies. My favorite was "Isis" when the clue's set-up said it was a precursor for sis boom ba, bringing to mind the chant we all know and love, "Isis, Isis, sis boom ba"! 

I've never heard of tenacity D, either. That definitely shouldn't have been accepted. And no BMS for the answer of Johnson the other day? Are the judges on vacation?

I like Alan just fine, but he looks so young. When Johnny is announcing him, I'm waiting to hear "...and our returning champion - Skippy!!"

• Love 9
13 hours ago, MooCat Pretzel said:

They were going I think by the location of the local affiliates in Ohio, so they may have just picked the closest one.  Not all cities are going to have an in the town affiliate. I have no idea where Findlay and Lima are though in Ohio. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ABay said:

I'm not from Philadelphia (and don't understand that reference), but I pronounce the L in almond. Not the one in salmon, though.  I've never heard anyone pronounce walrus without the L.

A college roommate was from Philadelphia, and she pronounced "almond" like "al-mund" with a heavy accent on the first syllable -- like if there were two brothers from the Mund family, and she wanted to make sure you knew she was talking about Al, not the other one. (She loved Hershey with Almond bars, so it was a long year.) 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, ABay said:

@harrie, was she a fan of It Takes a Thief?

LOL, I thought of that as I was typing.  No, just the consequences of trying to type phonetically. I wish I could find an appropriate sound bite.

• Love 3

You're not supposed to post anything about the day's show before 7:00 PM ET. I had seen that your post was before that time, so I clicked on it and realized I was reading about something that hadn't happened yet. It wasn't a big deal for me, but I thought I'd mention it. We could all use a reminder, especially with a long-term champ. He's got to lose sometime, and I seem to recall someone spoiling a loss once before. (Arthur Chu's? Although honestly that might have been behind spoiler bars, but you could just tell what the flurry of activity meant.)

• Love 3

If it weren't for the Galapagos sweepstakes, I'd be out until Alan loses.  I've gone from "he's okay" to "I can't stand him" pretty quickly.  As it is, I may just tune in near the end just to catch the word of the day.

• Love 2

Knew the Mud Hens because of Klinger and the fact they are affiliated with my Detroit Tigers. A nice short jaunt if someone's called up. I think the Mets' AAA club is in Las Vegas so if you need someone in a hurry you're SOL

Some of Kevin's guesses were doozies. My favorite was "Isis" when the clue's set-up said it was a precursor for sis boom ba, bringing to mind the chant we all know and love, "Isis, Isis, sis boom ba"! 

Oh my GOD that one was bad!

• Love 6

Rats!  And Matt was so close, too.  Oh well.  I didn't have a clue for FJ -- I can barely name any member of SCOTUS, let alone a past Chief Justice.

I did get Bill Moyers, blaze, Eohippus, and Epsom Downs.  I guess reading all those horse-related books when I was younger was good for something after all.

• Love 3

I don't know how to ask this without sounding like I want someone to explain why they like something, but as someone who finds Alan to just be THERE, in that I neither root for nor against him, I'm curious as to why he would cause such a visceral reaction in a viewer.  

The words "Clarence" and "Jimmy Stewart" in a DD clue is super easy.

I said John Roberts for FJ because I wanted to say a name, any name, because otherwise I had no clue.

1 minute ago, Driad said:

I watched today's show but missed the contest word.  Do they put it on line somewhere after the show airs?

I believe it was "iguana".  I'm not sure if they post it anywhere.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Driad said:

I watched today's show but missed the contest word.  Do they put it on line somewhere after the show airs?

IGUANA

I (mentally) spelled it Rhenquist. Whoops.

• Love 2

Those Signs of the Zodiac clues were pretty easy, considering there were only 12 possible answers.  Can't believe the Virgo DD was missed by Meghan.

Poor choice of books in the "Verbs, verbs, verbs" category $200 clue considering recent events -- but since these shows are taped 2-3 months in advance, not much could be done.

"What is Carter ?"  required a BMS in the Presidential Songs category.

• Love 7
(edited)
54 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I said John Roberts for FJ because I wanted to say a name, any name, because otherwise I had no clue.

I said "The guy before Roberts...you know, what's his name..."

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Why what ever do you mean? It's not like there's a whole Carter Family involved in American music for decades and decades.

• Love 8

"Wild Bill" Hickock wasn't named Bill/William at all.  He was James.

"Bill" was from "Duck Bill" because he had a big nose & lips (the original Duckface?)  He grew a mustache and started calling himself "Wild Bill."

• Love 2

Yay Alan, pulling off the win with FJ! Every time there's a Supreme Court clue I realize how little I know about it, outside of the current lineup, and Thurgood Marshall.

I got the missed DD (Virgo) and 3 TS: Bill Moyers, Bill W, and Gentleman’s Agreement.

• Love 2

Those Supremes mess me up every time. The only name I could come up with for FJ was also Thurgood Marshall, but knew it was wrong. I agree Carter should have been a BMS. There's Aaron Carter, Nick Carter and the whole Carter family in the music industry.

I did get Bill W., blaze, Netherlands, Virgo and Epsom Downs. Alan wasn't way out in front for FJ, but glad he pulled it out for the win. He's actually starting to grow on me. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I said Thurgood Marshall for the same reason. A complete guess. 

I got Bill Moyers, Bill W, and blaze in addition to the DD of Virgo. I should have guessed "Killing" the Rising Sun because that's always in the titles of O'Reilly's books, but I didn't think that sounded right.

• Love 2
(edited)

I was debating between Warren and Rehnquist and picked Warren --Urgh... I did get the "Blaze" bc I have Border Collies and they are famous for their blaze :) Got Bill W., The Killing of the Rising Sun,  and Virgo. I got all of the 1940's movie quotes except the last one - Gentlemen's Agreement

Edited by JunebugWA
  • Love 1

Ran the movie category. I love Gentleman's Agreement, partly because it has (be still my heart) John Garfield.

I guess reading all those horse-related books when I was younger was good for something after all.

Ah, Walter Farley and the Black Stallion books. I ran the horse category, too. I was screaming BLAZE.

I wasn't bothered by Carter. There's only one Carter who was married to Johnny Cash.

Skippy deserved to win for naming the judge when I didn't have a frickin' clue.

• Love 2

I didn't know FJ either, though it seems like I should have. 

Sad how much we all know about the names of the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.  Myself included. 

Its not like this was an ancient one.  He just retired about a decade ago. 

• Love 1

I, of course, said William Howard Taft for FJ!  Talk about not knowing Supreme Court justices!  I don't dislike Alan at all.  He doesn't showboat or grandstand or make cute remarks or gestures.  He seems like a well rounded young man.

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Sad how much we all know about the names of the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.  Myself included. 

Its not like this was an ancient one.  He just retired about a decade ago. 

Actually, he died in office. In fact, the current Chief Justice, John Roberts, had been nominated to fill the vacancy caused by Sandra Day O'Connor's resignation when Rehnquist died. Bush then withdrew Roberts nomination as an associate justice and nominated him for Chief Justice. At first I thought it was a trick question and the answer was John Roberts. What really surprised me was that there have only been 17 Chief Justices.

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

I, of course, said William Howard Taft for FJ!  Talk about not knowing Supreme Court justices!  I don't dislike Alan at all.  He doesn't showboat or grandstand or make cute remarks or gestures.  He seems like a well rounded young man.

I actually thought about Taft but I was pretty sure he was never an associate justice. 

But maybe I am wrong, he still wouldn't have been the answer even if he was an associate justice

• Love 1
(edited)

Pulling Rehnquist out of your butt is genius. Even Mr. QB gave a tip of the hat on that (he hates the show, thinks it's all posers, etc).

Edited by Quickbeam
typo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Damn! So close!

I had no clue on FJ.  The Supreme Court definitely isn't in my wheelhouse.  I said Thurgood Marshall, but only because he's my stock answer.  Unless we're talking the early years, in which case my answer is either John Marshall or John Jay.  (And it usually is one of the two.)

14 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

I did get Bill W., blaze, Netherlands, Virgo and Epsom Downs

I was torn between the Netherlands and Germany because I couldn't remember exactly where Friesia is, but I knew it wasn't Belgium.  I did get the others, though.

I don't know how to ask this without sounding like I want someone to explain why they like something, but as someone who finds Alan to just be THERE, in that I neither root for nor against him, I'm curious as to why he would cause such a visceral reaction in a viewer.  

I didn't have a visceral negative reaction to Alan, but more and more he strikes me as a smug smarty-pants.  I will confess, though, that I often end up feeling that way about champions who win more than a couple of games, unless they are someone I really like a lot to start with.  I like change, I think.  (Except when I'm resistant to it.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Ran the movie category. I love Gentleman's Agreement, partly because it has (be still my heart) John Garfield.

Ah, Walter Farley and the Black Stallion books. I ran the horse category, too. I was screaming BLAZE.

I wasn't bothered by Carter. There's only one Carter who was married to Johnny Cash.

I've never seen Gentlemen's Agreement, but am familiar enough with the plot to figure out the quote.

The only horse clue I didn't get was Eohippus, because I couldn't remember the "eo" part.

There was only one Carson who was a frontiersman and only one Nehru who was Prime Minister of India, but that didn't keep the judges from requiring a first name on either of them, while not requiring it for Presidents Adams, Roosevelt, and Johnson.  They need to be consistent; either require the first name or don't, but don't keep switching between the two.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Those Signs of the Zodiac clues were pretty easy, considering there were only 12 possible answers.  Can't believe the Virgo DD was missed by Meghan.

Poor choice of books in the "Verbs, verbs, verbs" category $200 clue considering recent events -- but since these shows are taped 2-3 months in advance, not much could be done.

Virgo was easy, and she also missed the It's a Wonderful Life DD!  I mean come on.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, illdoc said:

She did get that DD right, but she almost ran out of time doing so!!

As familiar as I am with that movie, I also had a very hard time pulling out the name of it - sometimes things you know well just elude you when you need them.

For FJ I said Warren Burger and was pleased that I even knew the name of any American Chief Justice.

• Love 3