Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

12 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

NYC was very nearly the US capital. A lot of Revolution stuff went down there. According to "Hamilton," which is my only reference point.

That's completely true. I finished Ron Chernow's biography of George Washington several weeks ago and my first guess was NYC, followed quickly by Philadelphia. NYC was always a very important city.

• Love 2

Although I did get FJ right, I thought Seven Samurai was a wonderfully funny answer and wish I'd thought of it. 

ETA: Oh, great, now I've got the theme from the Magnificent Seven stuck in my head.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 3

I like Alan, hope he continues to do well.

My ts's were desktop, turnbuckle, Beau Geste and the missed DD of ragtime. I was so miffed with myself for not getting the Kinks because the names were so familiar to me.

I got FJ but it was more a guess than real knowledge.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got The Kinks, Secret, turnbuckle, and Beau Geste.

I'd heard/read the word "turnbuckle" before and maybe sort of knew what it meant, but had no idea what one looked like. So I learned something. I love it when I learn some little thing that isn't a history or geographic fact. Not that I hate those two subjects in the least, but knowing what this piece of equipment is seems more....solid.

• Love 2

I can't believe I blanked on FJ today.  Total face palm when the answer was revealed.  Duh.

I didn't get too many TS today, either -- just semi-detached, Augustus, and King Julian (and now I have that song stuck in my head.  Thanks, Alex!).

Was it just me, or did Troy seem a little pissed about the wall (and who pays for it) question?

• Love 2

That "What is Johnson ?" answer by Troy in the sports category in the Jeopardy round demanded a BMS.
Thank goodness "What is Caesar ?" answer by Alan got a "Which one ?" from AT in the DJ round.

Jennifer couldn't manage to ring in at all before the first break, and was basically a washout as contestants go.

The old jobs category was pretty easy.

FJ was pretty straightforward -- how many Hungarian toys came out in the late 70s ?

• Love 7

Sorry but when Troy answered Jabbar at the very beginning there was no way in hell I could root for him.

That "What is Johnson ?" answer by Troy in the sports category in the Jeopardy round demanded a BMS.

For these reasons and the over the top reactions, I'm glad Troy didn't win. 

For TS I got Bill Russell, The Night Of and Augustus (which I'm surprised Alan didn't get). As soon as I saw "Hungarian", FJ was an instaget.

Go Alan go!!

• Love 4

I am in complete agreement that "Who is Johnson?" was utter BS. If ever an answer needed a BMS it was that one. Come on, Jeopardy.

eta: also, shame on all of them for not knowing Bill Russell.

Edited by Conotocarious
  • Love 7

I really was rooting for Alan today.  Troy was an asshat.  And Attila the Hun was a Roman?  And Johnson in Sports without a BMS?   WTH?!  Poor Jennifer was basically a non-entity.

I got semi-detatched, Juneau and Augusta (missed DD), and Henry Hill.

I answered FJ before Alex finished reading the clue.

• Love 7

That poor lady Jennifer looked like a deer in headlights tonight. It's really hard when you go up against a multi-day champ so I felt for her. Glad she made it to FJ at least. 

Alan is 25? He looks so young, he looks like he's barely out of high school to me. But he's definitely on a roll, good game Alan.

I knew FJ right away, since I knew the Rubics Cube's inventor was Hungarian. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Absolutely!  I can't understand how the judges work sometimes.

46 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I answered FJ before Alex finished reading the clue.

Same here - that's twice for me this week.

• Love 3

I also like Alan and am especially glad he won today. Troy was driving me crazy and Alex seemed to really love his shtick for some reason.

Completely blanked on FJ. Could only think of Slinky even though I knew that was much older. Never thought of Rubix cube but surprised to learn it's only been around since the late 70s.

• Love 1

I couldn't come up anything for FJ. I'm sure I've heard at least once that a Hungarian invented the Rubik's Cube, but obviously I didn't recall it tonight.

The only TSs I got were The Night Of and Augustus. When Bill Russell's picture came up, I got confuseled and said Bill Bradley. I did a similar thing with Franco Harris. I was thinking his name was Franco Nero.

Alan is very impressive and very young looking. I'm rooting for him.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

FJ was pretty straightforward -- how many Hungarian toys came out in the late 70s ?

You've never heard of Hungary Hungary Hippo? Alan's doing a good job, but he's not running away with each game. It's really kind of a nailbiter each time, which is cool. I got Juneau and realized I'd only answered half the question. Oh, well.

• Love 11

Cake Talk is one of my Cliff Clavin dream come true J! categories. 

TS I got were Augustus Caesar & Henry Hill. I got Juneau, but would never have come up with Augusta (missed DD). Johnson definitely needed a BMS, and I have never heard of Bill Russell, but I am not a basketball fan. I got FJ as soon as the clue was shown since the word Hungarian jumped out at me immediately. 

Who else thought of Mystery Author's sister when the clue about "The Exorcist" came up? 

Alan has a lot of diverse knowledge for a 25 year old.

4 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

For these reasons and the over the top reactions, I'm glad Troy didn't win. 

I had maybe 3 game's worth of tolerance but that was it. But I like Alan and am glad to see him doing so well, despite the jumping around. 

• Love 2

There's been more than one Johnson in sports?

Let's see: For starters there's Calvin Johnson, Carlton Johnson, Christian Johnson, Darcy Johnson, Delano Johnson, Isaiah Johnson, Keyshawn Johnson (ESPN broadcaster), and of course Magic Johnson. Oh, and don't forget Kit Carson Johnson.

Who else thought of Mystery Author's sister when the clue about "The Exorcist" came up? 

LOL! I'll have to tell her.

• Love 8

I knew it was Rubik's Cube, but I could swear it was out earlier than "late 70s" - Guess not. There was a similar toy that was 4 small cubes, each face a different color - but I don't remember what you were supposed to do with them. Somebody gave it to me where I worked as a Secret Santa gift. I thought "it's the though that counts, but absolutely NO thought went into this..."

ETA: Here it is...Instant Insanity!  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_Insanity

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 2

I know it would have been totally by accident, but I laughed as a Dancing With The Stars fan when both Calvin Johnson and Ryan Lochte came up in the sports category. Not only did they both compete on the show, they competed on the same season last fall. I would have got Lochte and his crappy behavior in Rio right away but I don't think I would have come up with Megatron in time if not for his appearance on DWTS. The Lions were never a team I followed too closely.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

There was a similar toy that was 4 small cubes, each face a different color - but I don't remember what you were supposed to do with them. Somebody gave it to me where I worked as a Secret Santa gift. I thought "it's the though that counts, but absolutely NO thought went into this..."

ETA: Here it is...Instant Insanity!  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_Insanity

Oooo, thanks for the nostalgia trip! I hadn't thought about that toy since... well, since whenever it was we had it. 

I was trying so hard to figure out FJ. I was past toys in the late 70's, but it wasn't before my time. I was trying to "decode" the Hungarian words. I thought one was ball, then I turned the second one into clack, and I thought of those clacking balls on strings that could give you a concussion, but I was pretty sure those came out in the 60's, maybe early 70's.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

That poor lady Jennifer looked like a deer in headlights tonight. It's really hard when you go up against a multi-day champ so I felt for her. Glad she made it to FJ at least. 

Alan is 25? He looks so young, he looks like he's barely out of high school to me. But he's definitely on a roll, good game Alan.

I knew FJ right away, since I knew the Rubics Cube's inventor was Hungarian. 

I should have gotten Rubric's Cube - I actually bought one for the middle school library I worked at in the early 80's (it went missing within 24 hours - learned a lesson there). But I unfortunately confused its Hungarian creator with the Russian Tetris guy.

8 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Alan has a lot of diverse knowledge for a 25 year old.

And it's all still fresh in his mind (unlike mine).

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I can't believe know one knew Bill Russell.

I recognized him, but couldn't come up with his name. The mister, though, had him right away, being a basketball fan and all.

41 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I know it would have been totally by accident, but I laughed as a Dancing With The Stars fan when both Calvin Johnson and Ryan Lochte came up in the sports category. Not only did they both compete on the show, they competed on the same season last fall. I would have got Lochte and his crappy behavior in Rio right away but I don't think I would have come up with Megatron in time if not for his appearance on DWTS. The Lions were never a team I followed too closely.

I couldn't think of his name - just said "douche face."

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I hadn't heard the category, so for Henry Hill I said Whitey Bulger which obviously didn't fit but the clue said colorful.  Is there a reason why Hill would be called colorful?

I think he's considered a "colorful" character, but his name isn't colorful.  If you didn't know it was the "Henry" category, and that Goodfellas was based on him, that clue would have been confusing.

• Love 5

You are all going to laugh when you hear my FJ answer! And I was SURE I was right! I said KNOCK HOCKEY!!! 

There was the word KNOCA in the clue or KOCKA

I was just discussing with my son that if you want to do well on Jeopardy, educate yourself on the difference between Hannibal, Attila the Hun, and Scipio - all 3 leaders from Ancient era. It suffices to know a few key words about each of them. For Hannibal the key word is elephants. I was laughing when one answered Hannibal and the next Attila- having JUST said this a few days ago! 

Edited by Bellalisa
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I think he's considered a "colorful" character, but his name isn't colorful.  If you didn't know it was the "Henry" category, and that Goodfellas was based on him, that clue would have been confusing.

Which we did. I'm always forgetting which category we're in.

• Love 1

For some reason, I just couldn't finish watching Thursday's game.  I was in a mood.  I answered Wilt Chamberlain instead of Bill Russell.

Jennifer's non-performance led to me to wonder.  Has there ever been a contestant who never rang in/answered a question?

• Love 2
15 hours ago, NorthstarATL said:

You've never heard of Hungary Hungary Hippo? Alan's doing a good job, but he's not running away with each game. It's really kind of a nailbiter each time, which is cool. I got Juneau and realized I'd only answered half the question. Oh, well.

I confidently said Augusta and then just stopped - so put us together and we got it!!

I was really surprised no one got Augustus when the clue said he named himself after the first Roman Emperor! Seemed like a gimme to me.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

And it's all still fresh in his mind (unlike mine).

I couldn't think of his name - just said "douche face."

So true on both counts! 

1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

Jennifer's non-performance led to me to wonder.  Has there ever been a contestant who never rang in/answered a question?

If I ever make it on the show we will probably find out! 

• Love 5
On 4/25/2017 at 3:15 PM, PaulaO said:

I must have not been paying attention.  What clue was Big Star? 

I had hoped to get you the exact clue from J-Archive, but that game (7516) is missing. Chris Bell (who died at 27) was mentioned, as was Alex Chilton and the album #1 Record.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Bellalisa said:

You are all going to laugh when you hear my FJ answer! And I was SURE I was right! I said KNOCK HOCKEY!!! 

You made me google. You mean Nok Hockey, right? The Carrom game? That's a better guess than my clacking balls.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, dcalley said:

I had hoped to get you the exact clue from J-Archive, but that game (7516) is missing. Chris Bell (who died at 27) was mentioned, as was Alex Chilton and the album #1 Record.

Was it this? 

MUSICIANS WHO DIED AT 27 ($2000)
Chris Bell was buried on Dec. 28, 1978–bandmate Alex Chilton’s birthday–with a copy of this band’s classic “#1 record”

Source: http://archive.fikklefame.com/jeopardy-clues-4-24-17/

• Love 1
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

You made me google. You mean Nok Hockey, right? The Carrom game? That's a better guess than my clacking balls.

I did mean Nok Hockey- I never knew it was spelled that way. But as a kid in the 60's and 70's we played it all the time. I see it was invented in 1943 so too old for the clue!

• Love 2

If Kevin had won, I would have skipped every show until he was gone.  I understand that not everyone treats Jeopardy! the same way, but contractions in your responses are unacceptable.  IMO.  Also his guesses were treacherous.

I knew Roethlisberger and bonnet.  I was yelling it but she didn't hear me.  

FJ was beyond me.

• Love 5

I guess I'm glad Alan won again.  Rachel was meh, and Kevin drove me nuts taking forever to pick a clue and then saying, "800 (or whatever) same category, Alex".

I got Blue and bonnet (missed DD).

1 hour ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I'm pretty sure there is an l in walrus. (I know, I'm being a dick.)

I was a dick, too.  It still didn't sound like walrus even when Alex asked him to repeat it.

I was clueless for FJ.

• Love 4

I like Alan. He's got an impressive range of knowledge, is pretty quick to answer and doesn't seem like a dick. Works for me.

If Kevin had won I'd also stop watching until he was gone. His taking eons to pick the next clue was killing me.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I was a dick, too.  It still didn't sound like walrus even when Alex asked him to repeat it.

It sounded odd, but I think that was just his accent. And I thought he included the "I", i.e., I Am the Walrus.

I only got Blue (Apron) and the DD of Easter bonnets.

For FJ I guessed Das Kapital, then when Wealth of Nations was revealed to be the answer, I slapped my forehead. They've used that book at least three times now in a couple of years. I should know it by now.

• Love 2

I definitely didn't hear the 'l' in walrus either time he said it, but I am willing to believe that it is his accent. I remember there was a guy who had a sporadic Boston accent that came out when he was stressed/talking quickly, and he answered 'cah' or something for 'car' - there was a second or so that passed while people tried to figure out what he had said, but it was just his accent. It's hard to penalize people for something like that.

• Love 5

We have a joke in my household about Nathaniel Hawthorne and The Scarlet Letter because it comes up all the time and Mr. Pallida (not great at trivia) can always answer it. 

For FJ I started with Das Kapital and realized it was Adam Smith. But I just blanked on the name. 

• Love 3