Type keyword(s) to search

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)

Kromm
  • Start Topic

31 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

They missed the perfect opportunity to use "Love Is like Oxygen" in the first movie.

They totally did. Maybe this one. Sweet would be so perfect for the Awesome Mix.

That poster is kind of hot.  A while ago, I was debating which movie to spend a lot of money on at the 4-D theater, just see what the experience was like, and I think I'll spend it on this one.  Looking forward to May. 

• Love 2

Feeling both the new GOtG 2 trailer and the movie poster. If they're any indication, the sequel's gonna be as irreverent as the original. Drax asking Star-Lord if he wants and hug and giving it to him anyway was priceless. Baby Groot alone is worth the price of admission, as far as I'm concerned. 

• Love 2

I seriously can't believe how much I've grown to like Dave Batista as an actor.  While Dwayne Johnson is still the best pro wrestler turned actor, IMO, Batista is surprisingly becoming a very solid second.  That laugh and reaction at the end was the greatest thing ever!

That was actually a pretty great teaser.  It did a good job at still not giving much away about the story, but showing enough of the characters to make me look forward to their next journey.  Can't wait!

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

I seriously can't believe how much I've grown to like Dave Batista as an actor.  While Dwayne Johnson is still the best pro wrestler turned actor, IMO, Batista is surprisingly becoming a very solid second.

He doesn't have Johnson's range, but he found the perfect role here.

Baby Groot is going to make Disney sooooo much money.

• Love 8

Oh my! Baby Groot with the crazy eyes going after the bad guy & then when he goes running off with the bomb button screaming his line? I squealed like a fan girl seeing my dream crush for the first time. And I agree with y'all, Batista has surprised me & I really enjoy his portrayal of Drax. I can't wait! 

• Love 2

Just when I think I can't get anymore excited for this movie. Drax is hilarious and Baby Groot is everything. I've watched this multiple times and his wide-eyed stare and squeaky voice never stop being hilarious. A good chunk of Disney's profit from Groot merchandise will be coming from me.

Can't wait for the soundtrack, either! 

• Love 6

Okay, I know this is unpopular. But I didn't like the whole Mantis scene at the end. I'm not into embrassment humour, and Drax's laughter just felt completely played up. Trying too hard. Also, I have other quibbles. Why are Bradley Cooper and Vin Diesel in this? It's not using their faces or voices. There's name recognition, but if anyone goes in wanting to see either of them, they'll be deeply disappointed. The characters could be played by any voice actors for a quarter of the price.

However, I like Chris Pratt's shirt. I'd like a good view of it, because it looks like the kind of thing I'd wear myself.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Joe said:

Why are Bradley Cooper and Vin Diesel in this? It's not using their faces or voices. There's name recognition, but if anyone goes in wanting to see either of them, they'll be deeply disappointed.

I think if people at this point don't know that they're playing a talking raccoon and a tree, they're not going to.  And how is it not their voices?

I mean, Diesel is no great shakes, but I literally don't know if I can imagine anyone else as Rocket.

You could make the same comment about any Pixar movie, but that hasn't hurt them.  Hell, Finding Nemo propelled Ellen Degeneres to a bigger career than ever before.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, starri said:

And how is it not their voices?

What I mean is that it isn't their regular voices. They don't sound like their everyday selves. Especially not little Groot.

15 minutes ago, Joe said:

What I mean is that it isn't their regular voices. They don't sound like their everyday selves. Especially not little Groot.

Well, actors do things to their voices even in live action roles.  Which is a good thing, or Hugh Laurie would be hurting for work.

• Love 4

What I mean is that it isn't their regular voices. They don't sound like their everyday selves. Especially not little Gro

I think Bradley Cooper sounds exactly like Bradley Cooper when he's playing Rocket.  What's he doing differently?

• Love 3

According to a random interview I pulled up, his voice is deeper and more relaxed than Rocket. Yeah, it doesn't really matter. It won't affect the price of my ticket or the enjoyability of the movie. I'll be there on opening day no matter what. It just seems odd to cast a name actor and then have them completely unrecognisable.

Yeah, they could have gotten any actor, especially an unknown to voice Rocket but I think Bradley does a great job playing him. Besides the comic moments, he really had some affecting emotional moments in the first movie.

I was really happy to see Mantis. Trivia: She was created by Star-Lord's creator Steve Englehart and first appeared in The Avengers in 1973. Her backstory is a trip. Wikipedia:

Mantis is the half-Vietnamese, half-German daughter of Gustav Brandt—Libra—and was born in Huế, Vietnam. In her childhood, her father leaves her in Vietnam at the Temple of the alien Priests of Pama, a sect of the Kree. The Kree believe she might become the Celestial Madonna and mate with the eldest Cotati on Earth to become the mother of the Celestial Messiah, "the most important being in the universe".

I'm impressed that anyone has had the focus to say something not related to Baby Groot because he is, as phalange says, everything and I want him now. Not a stuffed doll or a bobblehead or a Pop Thingy, I want Baby Groot.  I may have lost my effing mind at the cuteness.

• Love 11

Something I ran across leafing through back issues, this is how Peter Quill was being drawn back in 2010, three years before Chris Pratt was announced in the movie role:

thanos+imperative+issue+5+002.jpg

I have no idea why Marvel started drawing him as looking less like Pratt (blond hair, younger, thinner) after the movie became a big hit.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

Something I ran across leafing through back issues, this is how Peter Quill was being drawn back in 2010, three years before Chris Pratt was announced in the movie role:

thanos+imperative+issue+5+002.jpg

I have no idea why Marvel started drawing him as looking less like Pratt (blond hair, younger, thinner) after the movie became a big hit.

Maybe to avoid any whiff of royalty-requiring image-usage?

Cooper may also be looking down the road and recognizing that he may not stay A list. Doing Rocket gives him a nice paycheck in a successful franchise but also proves that he can do voice acting. If the live action parts dry up then he can still do animation. I don't think he'll have to fall back to that but it's there if he needs it. 

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Cooper may also be looking down the road and recognizing that he may not stay A list. Doing Rocket gives him a nice paycheck in a successful franchise but also proves that he can do voice acting. If the live action parts dry up then he can still do animation. I don't think he'll have to fall back to that but it's there if he needs it. 

I hadn't thought of that. It's a good point, thanks.

43 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I'm neither a fan or antifan of Bradley Cooper, but having semi-followed his career and rise to stardom, I can definitely see this to be the case. Voice acting work is fun and while it can be hard work, it beats having to work out for it months on end like he did for certain action movies. Another factor is that Cooper didn't really make the A list until his mid-thirties considering his conventional good looks. I remember when I saw him as a travel show host in the late 90s and then when he was on Alias. I don't think fame has gone to his head to that degree as he spent some years hustling to be where he is now. It does seem he has good management too, but I think he knows when to take a good paycheque.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, dusang said:

I'm impressed that anyone has had the focus to say something not related to Baby Groot because he is, as phalange says, everything and I want him now.

The fact that the trailer just calls him Baby Groot is BAE.

7 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

They also recently made Doctor Strange look younger, but nothing like Benedict Cumberbatch.  They seem to pick and choose what they reflect in the comics from the movie.  There was a period of time where Bullseye looked a lot like Colin Farrell.

• Love 1

That seems to be due to a "hipper, younger, edgier" reboot of the character that's not movie-related, though. Cumberbatch's version looks about as much like the classic comics depiction as you could get in the real world.

On 05/12/2016 at 8:55 PM, scarynikki12 said:

Yeah. Ultimately, why can't he choose whatever role he wants to do, regardless of whether it's about being a handsome leading man or not? He seems like he has fun voicing Rocket, and the character is incredibly popular so... I don't see why it's even a question.

I've only just gotten around to watching this new trailer, and I love it. Baby Groot is amazing, and is guaranteed merchandising gold for Marvel. Drax's reaction to Quill's secret was great, and feels completely right for a character who understands everything literally, but is probably trying to expand his brain to understand his friends. Mantis looks cool, although I think she was green in the comics. I guess another green character would be too much, though.

I'm waiting to see Nebula show up again. I've deliberately not paid attention to spoilers, but I know she's in it. In fact, this is the only Marvel movie currently slated for release, or recently released, that I'm at all interested in. Maybe Captain Marvel, once more details are known about it.

I am no Bradley Cooper expert by any means but I  think he has been very savvy career wise and worked hard to get to the A list. Part of being a successful actor is not being a one trick pony. Cooper likes to do variety and his voice work  as Rocket is very good.  I thought he was hilarious in the first movie and very moving at the same time.

I can't wait to see the next movie.

• Love 1