Type keyword(s) to search

Captain Marvel (2019)

Kromm
  • Start Topic

5 minutes ago, Jediknight said:

And it wouldn't be believable that the Skrull and then Kree wouldn't get stomped by May.

True. I think someone on here commented that it would awkward when the didn’t have to de-age Ming-Na Wen. 

On 3/10/2019 at 11:15 PM, Kromm said:

I'm thinking that Howard Stark was part of the founding of Project Pegasus.  Mar-Vell, in her disguised identity worked for Project Pegasus. If that's true, it would explain very well how the Tesseract went from Stark to her.

Yup.

My brother and I had a huge discussion about the tesseract timeline after the movie. One of our theories is Mar-Vell exchanged technology with Howard for the tesseract.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Proclone said:

I saw this for the second time last night, and I actually think I enjoyed it more the second time.  There were subtle moments that I didn't pick up the first time, that I did the second that made the film all that more enjoyable (I did really like the first time around too).

I was thinking about this today -- that the movie's best virtues were more subtle in nature.  Wonder Woman and Black Panther had more oomph, but they also had Themiscyra and Wakanda.  Vers was stuck in the world we inhabit, dealing with the constant, mundane, annoying expectations and entitlements we encounter all the time.  It will be interesting to see how it holds up on rewatch.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

That article perfectly sums up my feels. It even talks about my favorite Avenger, Peggy Carter and I absolutely loved it. Now I wish we would have seen 90s Peggy Carter’s reaction to Carol. I think she would have been more than pleased-she could have been in Fury’s office at the end. It would have been another fun cameo.

• Love 6

Nick Fury is literally me every time I see a cat. "Thats a cool name for a cool cat."

I loved it, even if this wasnt quite up to the standards of the last run of MCU movies, which have been pretty amazing and even groundbreaking. This is a more classic origin story, which means its a bit more held in place by structure, but it was a great origin story, so I cant mind very much. It was such a fun adventure, and they set up tons of cool stuff for the future, and I love a space story, what can I say? And top it off with some 90s jokes, music, awesome characters, and a cute kitty cat? Oh yeah, this is my jam!

I am really excited to see what happens with Carol after this, I think she will only grow as a character after this. I liked her a lot, and I thought Bri was great, she did a wonderful job of playing Carol as both cocky and confident, but also vulnerable and very human in her worries and doubts. She is a really great actress, and it was really fun seeing her do something like this. She was a more serious character than a lot of MCU protagonists, but she could lighten up and make jokes too, especially when she was doing her double act with Fury. I cannot wait to see her interact with the Avengers in Endgame, thats going to be a blast. 

Carol and 90s Fury are an amazing combination, they had such great buddy chemistry. I kept expecting them to solve a mystery together or something, it felt like I had wandered into a really good buddy cop show. So many great moments between them, like Fury singing to her in the kitchen, their banter in space, they were just so delightful together the whole time. I really hope that they met a few more times over the years, or at least they can see each other after the Thanos stuff is dealt with. But Carol is going to be so sad when she finds out that he got dusted! God this movie is gonna be sad...

Anyway, happier things! Loved seeing older characters, especially Coulson, on the big screen again, and the rest of the supporting cast was a blast. Love Maria already, and little Monica is so adorable. All their scenes together were gold, I really bought how close they all were. Maria was a real scene stealer to me. Well, Goose stole the whole movie, but she got a few in too 😉 

I am interested to see what happens if Carol runs into Yon-Rogg again, and what happens with him next. It seems like he really did have some affection for her, and really was proud of her growth, but it could easily also be manipulation, its hard to tell. I am leaning towards both, that he manipulated and lied to her, but also respected and liked her, I dont think it was all fake. If there was anything that was a bit disappointing to me, it was that they simplified the Kree vs. Skrull conflict quite a lot, and didnt really do much more to look at the Kree civilization, despite spending a decent amount of time there. The Kree are kind of the designated assholes of the whole galaxy, and have been the bad guys in more than a few MCU things, and while we did get a bit more of a humanized (so to speak) version of them in this, they were still the bad guys who want to rule everything, and the people they were fighting against are innocent victims, at least from what we saw. Their conflict in the comics, in most continuities, is a lot more complex and interesting, with both sides being "bad guy" species, but also having their own reasons, even sympathetic ones, for the war between them. I guess I get why they wanted to simplify things and have a good guy and a bad guy, and it is interesting to have the Skrulls, big creepy aliens who have been major villains in the marvel universe for years, be good guys, but it seems like a bit of a missed opportunity to tell a more morally grey story. 

The 90s touches were a lot of fun. They didnt go overboard, but they through in some nice nostalgic funny moments, like the Blockbuster, the super slow computers and internet (oh God, AOL passwords! Dial up!), and the awesome 90s soundtrack. "You look like someones disaffected niece." 

I cant wait to watch it again, and it makes me even more excited/scared for Endgame. 

Calling it now: Thanos is defeated by...Goose! Goose is strongest Avenger of all! Goose is good space kitter!

• Love 8
36 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Calling it now: Thanos is defeated by...Goose! Goose is strongest Avenger of all! Goose is good space kitter!

I don't know about Thanos, but I would not be shocked if Goose is a part of the permanent solution of what to do with the Infinity Stones.

• Love 4

Saw it today. I think it could easily have been thirty minutes shorter but I enjoyed it.

Jude Law's character read as a villain to me right off the bat. His eyes were always kinda shifty.

Not sure where Annette Bening was during her scenes with Brie Larson but it didn't appear to me to be in the same zip code. The CGI and body double stuff was pretty obvious.

I'm excited to see Lee Pace has been invited to the Marvel party. (I didn't see Guardians of the Galaxy and didn't know he had played Ronan the Accuser before now.)

I thought the Skrulls were reminiscent of the Newcomers in the Alien Nation franchise, especially the way Talos and his family interacted. Hope we'll get to see them again.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

Seeing that Stan Lee cameo made me teary a bit. What is ironic is that the film itself takes place in the mid 90s and Stan was doing voice acting guest spots in cartoons around this time. 

He was actually reading the script and practicing the line from Mallrats. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

He was actually reading the script and practicing the line from Mallrats. 

Thanks, I wondered what he was reading.  Never seem Mallrats though.  I liked the little smile Carol gave him.

I was looking forward to this and though the Kree bits dragged a little, I was really happy with it.  The casting was again spot on - Brie Larson was terrific as Carol - I loved the Top Gun, slightly smirky-ness of her.    To compare to Wonder Woman a little, my favorite thing about both women is their confidence.   This was why I especially enjoyed Carol's montage of falling and getting back up - that toughness and confidence that I WILL do it, damn it!  No matter how many times I have to fall down.  No matter who tells me that I'm doing it wrong or that I can't do it.  Absolutely, fuck you and no, I don't have to prove anything to anyone but myself.  

The "why don't you smile" scene got a big snicker from me but I really liked how there was barely a reaction from Carol.  Brie Larson really mastered the art of the glance/side eye for this movie.

Carol and Fury's chemistry is what got me interested and that didn't disappoint at all.  SLJ's CGI de-aging was definitely the least creepy I've seen, so it didn't distract.    Both actors were in Kong:Skull Island (which I really enjoyed) though there characters weren't exactly working together.

One nitpicky thing - I guess Carol had her Kree uniform packed in the motorcycle somehow?  How did she understand everyone once she changed into clothes - it seemed her universal translator was part of that uniform.  It was a little jarring for me when she's changed back into it at Maria's house, I was just wondering where it came from.  I guess there's a scene that got cut somewhere. 

I would have liked more of Carol and Maria training and working together.  Hopefully in a sequel we will get more back story on Carol and more of their friendship.  I kind of liked that we started in the middle, with Carol and the Kree, but would have liked more of Carol as just a human.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, raven said:

One nitpicky thing - I guess Carol had her Kree uniform packed in the motorcycle somehow?  How did she understand everyone once she changed into clothes - it seemed her universal translator was part of that uniform.  It was a little jarring for me when she's changed back into it at Maria's house, I was just wondering where it came from.  I guess there's a scene that got cut somewhere.

While she has a case of memory loss, she grew up in America speaking English. It's possible some of it filtered back in.

Just now, Anduin said:

While she has a case of memory loss, she grew up in America speaking English. It's possible some of it filtered back in.

Durr I should have thought of that.  She had more time on Earth than with the Kree after all.

23 minutes ago, raven said:

Durr I should have thought of that.  She had more time on Earth than with the Kree after all.

Everyone overlooks the obvious sometimes. 🙂 I was more puzzled by Talos knowing what a filing cabinet was. Surely in space they have more efficient ways of keeping records. Unless he got it from the minds of people he impersonated.

• Love 2

well just watched it. still working thru it, but it got to emotionally, not sure why (it wasn't the SL tribute, tho that was fantastic.)  I'm feeling kind of sad for Carol, tho I'm at a loss to understand why - other than she's just joined a much bigger universe. 

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, Colorado David said:

well just watched it. still working thru it, but it got to me emotionally, not sure why (it wasn't the SL tribute, tho that was fantastic.)  I'm feeling kind of sad for Carol, tho I'm at a loss to understand why - other than she's just joined a much bigger universe. 

On 3/8/2019 at 6:53 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Was NOT expecting Skrulls to be good guys (though I had a feeling Jude Law would be the villain). I guess that dashes the theory that Fuckstick Ross is one. Ah, well, they were fun.

BRING ON ENDGAME!

Not necessarily Mar Vell was hiding the families of one resistance cell and when Captain Marvel took them to safety there is no guarantee that they did not leave a Plan B sleeper agent or two on Earth.

On 3/10/2019 at 4:00 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

Coulson was routinely referred to as a noob or rookie throughout the movie. I don't see why they had to include Melinda May. Maybe she hadn't joined yet? Maybe she was on assignment outside of LA? There's no reason she HAD to be there. Coulson has history in the MCU, Melinda May does not. Makes sense to me as to why they included one over the other.

I cuncor. In the AoS back story in Bahrain it seemed that more like Phil Coulson was moving up the ranks and May was his bodyguard. They might have held the same rank but I took closer to the Fury/Coulson relationship seen in Captain Marvel than your typical trading the lead buddy cop film relationship.

Edited by Raja
7 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Wasn't Tom Hiddleston also in Skull Island? Terrible movie. And Marvel has been quite adamant the TV series are not part of the MCU.

The Washington Post analyzes Fury's threat assessment skills.

Who at Marvel has been quite adamant? Now the Hulu show may have name dropped President Obama and made other mistakes and the Netflix shows had their own continuity issues. But the ABC Agents shows have remained in continuity, with five movie characters crossing over and the Carol Danvers inhibitor came straight from the Aos Lighthouse story pod.

The movies make no references to the tv shows, the only two that have moved back and forth between the movies and shows are Coulson and Peggy. The tv shows on the other hand always mention the movies. Even Cloak and Dagger on Freeform mentioned Stark. 

4 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

The movies make no references to the tv shows, the only two that have moved back and forth between the movies and shows are Coulson and Peggy. The tv shows on the other hand always mention the movies. Even Cloak and Dagger on Freeform mentioned Stark. 

And Fury, Maria Hill, Lady Sif, Howard Stark,  Jasper Sitwell, Dum Dum Dugan along with Gideon Mallack have appeared on an Agents episode or have been featured during a story pod along with having a character name and speaking in a movie.

Hydra  Dr Bashir went from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D to the opening of The Age of Ultron in the better part of their two headed tie in.

10 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

Haven't they also mentioned things from the movies, like incidents/attacks and The Accords, maybe even the name of an Avenger? 

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and Agent Carter totally tie into the MCU movies. Maybe one sided mostly until Kree tech fitted what S.H.I.E.L.D saw in the future.. The Netflix/Defenders  ones are too cute and leave the ties beyond sometime ago, an alien invasion happened in New York. The Runaways went so far as to have a different President and seems totally out. Cloak and Dagger is said to have a crossover with the Runaways coming but have some background details that fit with both Netflix/Defenders and Agent Carter 

The President reminds me he also appeared in Iron-Man 3 and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 2

Thanks, @Raja.  I deleted my earlier post because I didn't read back far enough until after I posted.  Only then did I realize that you'd already answered my question in a previous post. 

I liked Skull Island, too (the special effects were amazing) and had forgotten about it when I saw CM. 

I'm seeing CM again on Tuesday and am really looking forward to it. 

10 minutes ago, Raja said:

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and Agent Carter totally tie into the MCU movies. Maybe one sided mostly until Kree tech fitted what S.H.I.E.L.D saw in the future.. 

Yep. I don’t expect to see any more actors crossing over but the plot lines clearly cross. That’s the entire reason AoS season 6 was pushed back until after Endgame. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a Captain Marvel mention once AoS comes back. 

I am wondering if the new Endgame trailer will help Captain Marvel ticket sales this weekend. 

1 minute ago, Dani said:

I am wondering if the new Endgame trailer will help Captain Marvel ticket sales this weekend. 

Not because of the Endgame trailer (which I have read the detailed summary of, but purposely didn't watch), but tonight will be my first viewing of CM.  I am excited!  

• Love 4
On 3/10/2019 at 10:12 PM, Kromm said:

Honestly? It sounds weird to say it, but I think its a race thing. Jackson's skin is fairly dark.  And I bet they've discovered this process works better with darker skin.  You speak of texture and color variation. I bet it's easier to get those things right with his skin color.

It would wind up being a hilarious serving of just deserts/irony for the long held issue that film stock, exposure and light levels, has usually been tailored more towards photographing white people if digital technology winds up being easier to work with darker skin,

Makes sense to me. Samuel’s De-aging CGI was very good. It reminded me of the good job they did on the old age makeup in the 2016 version of Roots (they won an emmy for that). Age makeup (either way) on people with more melanin is often more subtle. 

I just saw the film and I liked it, didn’t quite love it as much as Wonder Woman but it got me really excited for End Game. I love Goose but why did he do that to Fury’s eye?!! Did Mar-Vell keep him (whatever species he was), in cat form as a “familiar” or “assistant” to scoop out enemies? He was a part of the mission for a reason. 

Can anyone tell me where the tesarac is now?

28 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Makes sense to me. Samuel’s De-aging CGI was very good. It reminded me of the good job they did on the old age makeup in the 2016 version of Roots (they won an emmy for that). Age makeup (either way) on people with more melanin is often more subtle. 

I just saw the film and I liked it, didn’t quite love it as much as Wonder Woman but it got me really excited for End Game. I love Goose but why did he do that to Fury’s eye?!! Did Mar-Vell keep him (whatever species he was), in cat form as a “familiar” or “assistant” to scoop out enemies? He was a part of the mission for a reason. 

Can anyone tell me where the tesarac is now?

That is Goose's real form, Flerkens resemble cats. Only they lay eggs and have tentacles come out of their mouths. 

Thanos destroyed the Tesseract to get the Space Stone. 

27 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

On Thanos' left hand.

22 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

That is Goose's real form, Flerkens resemble cats. Only they lay eggs and have tentacles come out of their mouths. 

Thanos destroyed the Tesseract to get the Space Stone. 

Ah yes!! Thank you. I forgot that part. 

Very cool about Goose. 😁

I just got back. I really liked it, more than I thought that I would, although I didn't love it. Brie and Lashana gave great performances as did Akira Arbar (Monica). I will pop back in with more detailed thoughts tomorrow.

• Love 1

Looooved it!  Maybe because of my limited familiarity with the source material, I didn't find the beginning slow at all and I really enjoyed the '90's immersion, also really liked the placement of "I'm Just a Girl", but I felt like the sound effects from the scene itself were maybe a little bit too loud and sort of competed with the song.  Loved Monica and Carol finding each other again, that was the heart of the movie for me and they played off each other incredibly well.  And I didn't have any of the line reading issues that I felt in the first trailer and Brie totally inhabited the role (and seeing how she played it, I agree she has a very 1940's Bucky feel, with a bit of Peggy Carter thrown in and I definitely think Steve in particular is going to love her!).  She was so, so good.    

• Love 9
On 3/14/2019 at 10:59 PM, Raja said:

Was NOT expecting Skrulls to be good guys (though I had a feeling Jude Law would be the villain). I guess that dashes the theory that Fuckstick Ross is one.

We don't know how organized the Skrulls are. The group in Captain Marvell were good guys, but there could be other groups that are less peaceful.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Captain Carrot said:

We don't know how organized the Skrulls are. The group in Captain Marvell were good guys, but there could be other groups that are less peaceful.

There seem to be some coding issues I replied to the same original post. The Skrulls pretty much said that they have been spread all over. So it seemed we met one earth based group, so that explains them taking on earth personalities even if it served them wrong by going informal with Nickolas. And Mar-Vell as a traitor to her Kree brothers hid the families while some were out fighting.

So in the future just as human bad guys are in play so would Skrull along with the possibility of a third Kree good guy

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1

I really enjoyed it. I thought from the moment that Carol was reunited with Maria and Monica the movie was perfect. I loved Carol's surprised and gleeful reaction to being able to fly. I can't wait to see Carol interact with the rest of the Avengers. Maria was amazing as she evaded and destroyed the Kree fighter. Monica was wonderful and I hope Marvel's next movie will feature her as the lead playing Spectrum. Do we know if Maria and Monica were dusted?  Carol will be crushed losing Maria and Monica along with Fury. Thanos is about to get his ass kicked! 

I loved each single pro-woman/feminist moment in the movie, especially when Carol stole "smile" guy's bike, may that be warning to those annoying men who say that in real life. The other great moment is when she blew the hell out of Yon-Rogg when he tried to convince her to ignore her power. Hell, everyone in my theater laughed, cheered, and clapped when she knocked his arrogant ass down.

I wasn't surprised that the Kree were the bad guys when I saw Djimon Hounsou, but I was surprised that the Skrulls were one of their victims and hiding on Mar-Vell's lab. Talos did admit that he had a lots of blood on his hands so it sounds like the long standing conflict. The reunion of Talos with his family was touching as was his daughter playing with Monica on the stairs. Children really are our hope. My heart swelled when Carol said that she would go with the Skrulls and help them find a new home. Damn, that is a superhero! 

Of course, we got the great Marvel humor; Goose being flung around in space will always be classic. Fury's response to a human male being low or no security risk along with Maria's subtle reaction.

Fury's WTH reaction to Goose swallowing up the people and then the Tesseract mirrored my own. Never heard of Flerken before. I had to google it when I got home. I agree with those who think that will Goose play an important role in getting the Avengers across dimensions in Endgame. Let me say in advance: Ick! Gross!

I thought the CGI de-aging Samuel L. Jackson was uneven at best and Clark Gregg was down right bad. Do NOT do this again, Marvel

The redesign of the Marvel logo to honor Stan Lee was a wonderful tribute.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Do we know if Maria and Monica were dusted?  Carol will be crushed losing Maria and Monica along with Fury. Thanos is about to get his ass kicked! 

We only known snaptured are the Avengers and Guardians with Dr Strange and the five in the Infinity War and Ant-Man and the Wasp mid credits scenes. In the first Endgame trailer a Black Panther character seemed to be among those but that may have been a marketing fake out.

Edited by Raja

I saw Captain Marvel today.  I liked it but I didn't love it (I need to see it again).  However I'm glad I saw it because I am stoked about the next Avengers movie and Carol's role in it. I thought Brie did a fabulous job and I was moved by her scenes with Maria, Monica and Fury (never have I loved Fury as much as I did in this movie!)

Small quibble-- the use of 90's music took me out of the scenes, especially the "Just A Girl" bit.

I did get tripped up by the Tesseract (and still am). I was so convinced that the Tesseract Goose threw up/spit up would be used to un-dust those that were dusted in Avengers 3. I didn't realize until I read this thread that said Tessaract is already on Thanos' gauntlet.  I thought that the Tesseract that Goose spit up was after Fury got dusted.