Type keyword(s) to search

Captain Marvel (2019)

Kromm
  • Start Topic

The Captain Marvel/Shazam Death Battle "aired" today.

Spoiler

Honestly, I thought Carol would win. It's not so much that her movie universe is way more successful than Billy's. I just figured experience and power would prevail over the overgrown adolescent. Also sad that this is her second loss . . . and you could've made for a better case of her beating Android 18 than Shazam. If it makes any of you feel better, Batman also has two losses (Spider-Man and Black Panther).

I'm okay with the outcome, and I don't think the guys behind Death Battle would prop up Shazam because he's a male superhero.

The long dry spell is over and I finally got to see the movie on Wednesday! I quite enjoyed it and I appreciated Carol's dry sense of humor. Loved her and Fury together, their personalities complemented each other. Loved the female friendship aspect of the movie and I wish there would have been more of it. They could have cut some of that battle at the beginning cause honestly it was so dark I couldn't see what was happening.

Of course I loved Goose and Fury's relationship with her. I was kind of upset that she was the reason he lost that eye after he was so loving with her but then I thought: She did save his life twice so I'll let it go. He probably did. I hope that "cat" is still around now and that he kept her all these years.

I didn't know who that was playing Talos so I had to look him up when I got home. He damn near stole the show and that's hard to do when there's an adorable cat around. I would just crack up at his headshakes in the background and stuff like "What's a cat?"

I'm glad this was set in the 90s. The 90s are in a way a big ol' blur to me and kind of just exist as one whole lump in my mind, I don't remember specific years for things but there was so much I recognized and remembered in this movie. It was fun.

All the reasons why this was such a great feminist film and why it's so important to have films like this have already been said in this thread much better than I could so just know that I ❤️ you all. I did let out an audible gasp at the smile more comment. That one resonated. 

I have to go ahead and post because I'll forget what I want to say but I'm still working my way through the thread. I was out of it for a month!

• Love 8

IF YOU'RE COMPARING WONDER WOMAN TO CAPTAIN MARVEL... HOW ABOUT DON'T?

Captain Marvel has resulted in some really interesting and thought provoking articles but this one may be my favorite. I could quote the whole thing but will try to limit myself. 

They matter because, for so many young girls and even young women, we’re seeing examples of strength, power, confidence, compassion, and a figure that commands respect, and that figure looks like us. We’re seeing heroines who don’t just “play with the guys,” they run circles around them, they carry them across battlefields, they shield them from bullets, they blast them out of the damn sky. We’re seeing women reclaim their narratives, we’re seeing them fight on the front lines, we’re watching as they delight in their abilities and unapologetically declare themselves.

By picking apart characteristics of each superhero and actress and debating over how “feminine” or “strong” or “believable” they are in the role, we’re subscribing to the belief that femininity is a monolith, that womanhood is a shared, homogenous experience, that men can come in all shapes and sizes but women must be uniform in their existence.

You’re allowed to prefer one to the other when it comes to any kind of superhero movie — so many of them tread the same ground, you’re bound to have favorites — but instead of using Wonder Woman or Captain Marvel as some kind of measurement, some qualifier for the other, how about we just give them both the respect they deserve?

In other words, like what you like, but for the love of Goose, let Carol Danvers and Diana Prince just live.

8 minutes ago, Dee said:

Interesting Carol gets compared to Wonder Woman, instead of say, Okoye or Nakia.

Nakia and Okoye are highly trained, highly skilled fighters. Carol is the most powerful hero introduced in the MCU. In the DCEU, the only one more powerful than Diana is Kal-El. Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel is definitely more apples to apples.

• Love 11
On 3/10/2019 at 7:39 PM, Jenniferbug said:

The subtle sexism that was present through the movie was spot on. I loved how Carol was competent and confident, funny and smart, got to show emotions and kick ass, and she did it all without wearing a skimpy costume or having a love interest.

I finally saw this yesterday -- not lagging from any lack of interest, just a scheduling issue. But I wanted to highlight @Jenniferbug's comment, because I think maybe the most triumphant moment in the movie for me -- certainly among my favourite things about it -- was Carol's "I don't have anything to prove to you" realization. (Full disclosure: I avoided spoilers, but I wasn't entirely surprised by the reveal that Yawn-Gagg or whoever Jude Law's character was supposed to be was kind of a dirtbag. What can I say? Law's on the screen? I'm seeing a character who's probably going to end up being kind of a dirtbag. Also: it took me a super-long time to reach the conclusion that Maria Rambeau came to immediately about Carol's Kree nickname "Vers" being a close-enough-for-SHIELD-work homophone of "Fierce." I'm very sorry.)

In conclusion, Carol Danvers? Kicks Six Different Kinds of Ass. Yay!

Edited by Sandman
'phone ain't 'nym, yo.
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Cranberry said:

I'm embarrassed to admit that I had seen the movie twice before I realized she was called Vers because Yon-Rogg picked up that half of her broken dog tag.

I only saw the movie once but, i didn't realize it until i saw someone refer to Carol as "Vers" here that i put it together.  In my head it was always Viers...so it never occured to me that her Kree name was (Dan)Vers.  LOL

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, Jazzy24 said:

Someone explain to me why this is called a feminist movie please. I saw the movie a few times and I don’t see how it was a feminist movie. 

Because it's not. It's a movie about a super hero. 

• Love 10

I've been a slacker with movie watching pretty much since last December. Yesterday I ran into my favorite Marvel nerd at work and asked her when she's going to see End Game. During that conversation I mentioned that I was a little concerned that I hadn't seen this movie yet, since Captain Marvel is going to be part of the new movie. 

She said that she also had taken her time before seeing it, but it was good and she enjoyed it. So I checked and sure enough, it was playing at 6:30 in my local theater, so I told the kids I'll be back before 9:00 and off I went. 

To me, it was another entertaining Marvel movie. I should have seen it earlier, and I'm glad to have it in my head before seeing End Game.

LOVED everything about inexperienced Fury, especially his banter with Carol and every second he spent with the Flerken. Heh.  GOOD KITTY!

Somebody up thread mentioned about not having to dress Brie Larson in skimpy outfits. I completely agree. Totally not necessary. She rocked the Nine Inch Nails t-shirt and jeans just fine. If you like that sort of thing...

• Love 4

I heard the speculation that Endgame could help put Captain Marvel back into a top spot. Didn't expect that much of a jump. I figured it could beat Wonder Woman's 412 mil eventually but not this week. 

I wonder if after Endgame people will watch it too. Since she had some cool moments in that movie. 

• Love 3

Recently came across a mention of something I had completely forgotten, that Yondu grew up in the Kree slave pens. Been a while since I saw GotG, does anyone remember this? I think it was only mentioned once. If we had only remembered, the bad guys would have been obvious from the start.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Recently came across a mention of something I had completely forgotten, that Yondu grew up in the Kree slave pens. Been a while since I saw GotG, does anyone remember this? I think it was only mentioned once. If we had only remembered, the bad guys would have been obvious from the start.

Yes. In Guardians 2 he tells Rocket that he was a Kree battle slave after his parents sold him. 

Between Guardians and Agents of Shield I would have been surprised if the Kree hadn’t been the bad guys. I thought there were going to be two villains so the Skrull twist still surprised me. 

Came across a reference to the base destroyed by Loki at the beginning of The Avengers as Project PEGASUS. It's not referred to as such on screen but apparently it is in the comics. And trying to verify that lead me to this:

Project Pegasus is alluded to in Iron Man 2. Tony Stark is shown opening a wooden crate (1:24:04) marked "Project Pegasus" in preparation to synthesize a new element.

Additionally, in the tie-in prelude comic to the Avengers, the World Security Council mentions that funding is being redirected from S.H.I.E.L.D (with help from NASA) to a new operation, codenamed Project P.E.G.A.S.U.S, in the aims of analyzing the Tesseract.

Bit of reconning going on there if the project actually existed before.

I’ve seen some clips of the movie since it’s out on digital but I really really like how Carol’s powers are showcased. I like how it’s made like she is a falling star and her photon blasts are so cool. She’s just a really colorful character. 

16 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Project Pegasus is alluded to in Iron Man 2. Tony Stark is shown opening a wooden crate (1:24:04) marked "Project Pegasus" in preparation to synthesize a new element.

Project Pegasus is mentioned by name in a deleted scene from Iron Man 2. It’s at the very end as Tony is walking out of the room.  

5 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Question: Is Peter Parker in the Far From Home trailer the first person on screen to actually refer to Carol as Captain Marvel?

Yes. Peter Parker/Spider-Man was also the first person in the comics to refer to her as Captain Marvel. 

• Useful 1

I know I'm supposed to think the "Just a Girl" scene is really cheesy, but I can't help but love it.  Carol just looks so happy having the gloves off and getting to kick ass.

As an aside, there's an all-ages Captain Marvel comic coming soon where Carol discovers that NYC's bodega cats have been replaced by flerkens.  Sounds like it would be fun for any young members of the Carol Corps you know.

• Love 8
On 5/29/2019 at 4:03 PM, starri said:

I know I'm supposed to think the "Just a Girl" scene is really cheesy, but I can't help but love it.  Carol just looks so happy having the gloves off and getting to kick ass.

Saw it again with my 5  year old last weekend at the cheap 2nd run theatre in our town and it still holds up. One thing I like is that from the Just a Girl scene until the end you can really see how Carol is trying to figure out and progress with her powers. In the beginning she is just sort of doing fist fight kind of stuff. Then as she falls out of the space ship to earth it takes her awhile to figure out she can fly. Then when they shoot those torpedoes at earth first she trys to push one to turn it around. Then she realizes that she can punch them and then she realizes that just flying through them sort of torso first will destroy them. Then of course she just flies through that Kree ship to destroy it. It was kind of cool seeing her figure all that stuff out on her own. 

• Love 5

While I didn't feel it was disappointing as the meat in an Avengers sandwich, I absolutely agree that it's a solid watch among the Marvel origins, and Citizen Fucking Kane compared to female-led superhero movies not named Wonder Woman.

• Love 5

This movie was once described to me as the most okayish movie ever and I totally understand that statement.

This is bland phase 1 origin movie marvel. I will never understand the huge love for it. I understand being so happy it exists. But, I just throw this movie on the pile with all the middle of the road marvel movies I don't think about after I'm done watching it. There is a healthy amount of marvel movies that rise above that for me but this ain't one of them.

Bland story, bland characters, no memorable set pieces and I just can't begin to connect with Brie in this role. Here's to hoping to improvement once we are past the origin story aspects. Thor was my least favorite franchise with marvel but I loved Ragnarok and Thor has been one of my favorites for a while.

• Love 2

If you exclude Wonder Woman the movies to compare it to are Elektra, the 80s Supergirl, and maybe Catwoman. That sets the bar so low the challenge would be limboing beneath it rather than clearing it. I think Captain Marvel holds its own among the run-of-the-mill Marvel solo movies, but given the average quality of the franchise there was no way it was going to outshine its predecessors the way WW did.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I recently re-watched on an airplane too, and I still want to know what happened to the fourth Skrull that landed on Earth. By my count, one was Talos, one was the science guy Yon-Rogg killed, and one was the Skrull impersonating Coulson that Fury killed and SHIELD did the autopsy on. But I swear that four Skrulls total landed, so where did #4 go? Or am I embarrassingly missing something big and obvious here?

40 minutes ago, supposebly said:

Well, I was much more entertained than with Wonder Woman. Overall, I enjoyed it a lot on my air plane screen.

Me too. I think I’m the type of moviegoer that prefers a strong ending to a strong beginning. Both movies were good but Captain Marvel nailed the second half while Wonder Woman nailed the first half. It’s the same reason why I’m not particularly in a rush to rewatch Endgame even though I loved it. 

Plus I think it’s one of those movies that resonated strongly with a segment of the population. For those of us who connected strongly with Carol it elevates the movie in a way that baffles people who don’t have the connection. 

1 minute ago, stealinghome said:

I recently re-watched on an airplane too, and I still want to know what happened to the fourth Skrull that landed on Earth. By my count, one was Talos, one was the science guy Yon-Rogg killed, and one was the Skrull impersonating Coulson that Fury killed and SHIELD did the autopsy on. But I swear that four Skrulls total landed, so where did #4 go? Or am I embarrassingly missing something big and obvious here?

You’re right. The fourth guy disappeared after the beach scene. Maybe we’re supposed to assume he was on the ship at the end but who knows. 

If CM is to be, according to Fiege,  the new face of the MCU (replacing Downey, I guess), there is a lot of work to be done.

What are her characteristics? She doesn't give up, she perseveres -- just like every other hero, in and out of the MCU. And I think that's just about the extent of her personality.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm not a Marvel fan, with the major exception of Black Panther, I've only seen a handful of Marvel films and it's a big old shrug to me.  But I really liked this movie!  I was pleasantly surprised.  I liked Black Panther better, but this was still good.  The soundtrack was totally my taste, and I loved how they picked 90-95% female artists for it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
(edited)
20 hours ago, supposebly said:

Well, I was much more entertained than with Wonder Woman. Overall, I enjoyed it a lot on my air plane screen.

Me too. I found Wonder Woman decidedly mediocre as a movie. Gal Gadot was really good, but the rest of it was formulaic and predictable, with some seriously hammy performances.

Captain Marvel had much better balance of substance and fun.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 7

Now that it’s finally available for rental, I’m planning to watch it this weekend.   (I only rarely watch movies in the theater.)  I’ve been quite thoroughly spoiled for it, but it will be interesting to see what I think after actually seeing it for myself.  I loved Wonder Woman personally, but yes, admittedly that was largely on the strength of Gal Gadot - she was just perfect.  

• Love 3
On 6/12/2019 at 2:41 PM, clack said:

If CM is to be, according to Fiege,  the new face of the MCU (replacing Downey, I guess), there is a lot of work to be done.

What are her characteristics? She doesn't give up, she perseveres -- just like every other hero, in and out of the MCU. And I think that's just about the extent of her personality.

She’s arrogant(but she can definitely back it up)she’s rash, she was playful and witty. She was really naive while on earth. I thought that she took responsibility for her actions in the part she had in the Kree/Skull war. She was very loyal also to Maria, Fury, earth and the Kree(for the first half)

Her past like family and time at the academy should have been more focused on. I thought Brie did okay in this, the second part was definitely the better part and Brie did better. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Jazzy24 said:

I thought Brie did okay in this, the second part was definitely the better part and Brie did better. 

Well, the second part was Carol Danvers and the first part was Vers. That was why she was flat in the first half, she had just spent the previous six years suppressing her emotions. (And she was still a smart-ass.) You can question why they decided to go with that story, but the acting was a purposeful choice.

• Love 5

Brie isn't the problem. Imho the movie has an editing issue...meaning, it cuts away from scenes so fast, that it is very easy to miss her nuanced acting. It really does her a disservice. My other big criticism of the movie is the use of music. Honestly, why not add a badass sound with a con air style guitar riff? This is supposed to be the 1990s, right? And if you want to use songs, pick something which actually means something to Carol.

But technical issues aside, I love this movie. To be fair, it is the kind of movie one has to think about a while to realize how brilliant it is. Thematically, it is really, really strong.

And I like Carol as a character. She is stubborn, a little bit arrogant (which I love because female characters are so rarely allowed to be arrogant on screen unless they are the villain), she is an absolute speed junkie, she is an idealist (remember, her main goal in live was always to do something "which matters"), she has a really dry humour, she is cheeky and I just love her little smirk. She is also good with kids.

I can't wait to see more of her.

• Love 7

Rented this last night. It was pretty good. Mid-tier MCU for me. For example, better than the first two Thor movies, Doctor Strange, Iron Man 2, but not as good as Winter Soldier, Black Panther, or Infinity War.

I also thought it was better than Wonder Woman simply because it didn't completely collapse in the third act (like WW).

Seeing a less grim Nick Fury was nice, and I really liked the end-credits scenes.

But the explanation of Nick Fury's eye was really lame.

• Love 3

Yeah, I HATE to compare Captain Marvel with Wonder Woman because those movies have so little in common (naturally other than the fact that both are female lead comic book movies, but to me it makes way more sense to compare Wonder Woman with The first Avenger), but I also think that Captain Marvel is better due to the fact that it has a theme and executes it fairly well, while Wonder Woman completely undercuts the previously established theme in the third act.