Type keyword(s) to search

Captain Marvel (2019)

Kromm
  • Start Topic

Was surprised the search engine found no actual movie topic (just mentions elsewhere).

When you have the official casting, I think that's official enough. Brie Larson is indeed Captain Marvel.

Given that Larson is 5 foot 7 (far from small but not intimidating) I wonder if they try muscling her up a little. Even Cosmic Powers may need to look a little chiseled.

Besides Gina Carano in Deadpool who was already there and can't think of any actress muscled up, no matter what her super power set of skills for any of the comic book franchises Agent Carter through X-Men. Although Hayley Atwell's stunt double did have a broader back than your average star when shown hitting a heavy bag

Have they announced a director yet?  Last I heard, it was supposed to be the woman who directed The Babadook. 

I don't know what this says about me, but I really hope they let a woman direct it. Joss Whedon, who would have been forward-thinking in the 90s, was talking about wanting to do a female-focused Marvel film, but there are no words to describe how little I want that to happen.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, BetterButter said:

CoQFnnDUkAEMoek.jpg

8 hours ago, Trini said:

*snort*!

I'm trying to figure out if CNN is capable of being that ironic, or if they actually don't know the difference.

• Love 1
On 7/24/2016 at 8:02 AM, Kromm said:

Was surprised the search engine found no actual movie topic (just mentions elsewhere).

When you have the official casting, I think that's official enough. Brie Larson is indeed Captain Marvel.

Given that Larson is 5 foot 7 (far from small but not intimidating) I wonder if they try muscling her up a little. Even Cosmic Powers may need to look a little chiseled.

It does beg the question of how does Superman build muscle when he faces no resistance forcing muscle growth?

I suppose he did earlier in his career.  In Man of Steel holding up that oil derrick was clearly a strain, but a couple of years later he's dragging a huge oil tanker that probably weighs 25+ times as much across the icecap.

Captain Marvel’s Origins Being Changed to Avoid Green Lantern Comparisons

Nicole Perlman (who is co-writing Captain Marvel with Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur co-writer Meg LeFauve):

I don’t think I’ve ever had a project where I’ve been more mindful about the impact that it could have and the importance of it. She’s such an incredibly kick-ass character and Kelly Sue DeConnick did a great run with her story arc recently. But here’s the thing, if you were just going to do a straight adaptation of the comics, her origin story is very similar to Green Lantern. And obviously, that’s not what we want to do. There’s a lot of reinvention that needs to happen. And also, she’s her own person and she’s a great character. We have to be aware of what’s happened in other Marvel film and makes sure that her particular storyline is unique and fun and also fits in within this world that’s going on at the same time. It’s a little bit of an interesting story gauntlet. It’s been good to have a partner. It’s been an incredible experience. If we can pull it off it could be an incredibly important but also really fun and kick-ass superhero film.

That doesn't sound like the best excuse to not use her comic book origin but whatever, Carol's origin isn't as indelible as say Iron Man or Captain America. I'm excited to see what they come up with.

Huh? I don't think her origin is all that similar to Green Lantern.  I mean "getting powers from an alien" is a really wide bit of territory.

That said, its a confusing origin mainly because having to mention the other guy who was Captain Marvel before her is not gonna fly here.  And maybe the feeling is if he's not mentioned as a hero on Earth and just shows up and... dies (not what really happened in Marvel Comics) then THAT is what is too much like Green Lantern (because in this case the other Captain Marvel lives, for many years, and they simply both have similar powers).

So I guess the solution is going to be something vaguely cosmic (and if they aren't careful even stupider).  No clue why she'd have that hero name though. In the comics she has it (after years of being Ms. Marvel) because he dies and its like.. a brand name.  Without him? I don't even get why Col. Danvers would be Captain Marvel. Unless maybe her military rank really IS lower here in the first place. 

2 hours ago, Kromm said:

Huh? I don't think her origin is all that similar to Green Lantern.  I mean "getting powers from an alien" is a really wide bit of territory.

That said, its a confusing origin mainly because having to mention the other guy who was Captain Marvel before her is not gonna fly here.  And maybe the feeling is if he's not mentioned as a hero on Earth and just shows up and... dies (not what really happened in Marvel Comics) then THAT is what is too much like Green Lantern (because in this case the other Captain Marvel lives, for many years, and they simply both have similar powers).

So I guess the solution is going to be something vaguely cosmic (and if they aren't careful even stupider).  No clue why she'd have that hero name though. In the comics she has it (after years of being Ms. Marvel) because he dies and its like.. a brand name.  Without him? I don't even get why Col. Danvers would be Captain Marvel. Unless maybe her military rank really IS lower here in the first place. 

I  figured that they cast the actor taking into account 10 years from now. Brie Larson makes much more sense as Lieutenant or Captain Danvers than Major or Lt Col.

I know the Inhumans and Terrigen is probably not something that will fit in here, but I dearly, dearly hope that at some point, we see a crowd of Captain Marvel fans with a girl who's identifiable as Kamala Kahn.

• LOL 1

Since the film will take place in the early 90s and Nick Fury will be there, will they CGI Samuel L. Jackson's face a bit to make him look younger? Or will another actor be cast to play younger Nick Fury? Or will they just use Samuel L. Jackson as is?

• Love 1
On 11/11/2017 at 5:52 PM, JustaPerson said:

Since the film will take place in the early 90s and Nick Fury will be there, will they CGI Samuel L. Jackson's face a bit to make him look younger? Or will another actor be cast to play younger Nick Fury? Or will they just use Samuel L. Jackson as is?

Samuel L. Jackson looks practically the same since the 90s(Black don’t crack)so I would think that they dressed him more 90ish and he had both his eyes to make him seem younger. 

• Love 4

They could also throw Haylee Atwell into some old-lady makeup again.  We know Peggy was still running SHIELD into the late 80s.  Maybe Carol gets her powers from one of Howard Stark's experiments, since we know he made it until '91.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, starri said:

They could also throw Haylee Atwell into some old-lady makeup again.  We know Peggy was still running SHIELD into the late 80s.  Maybe Carol gets her powers from one of Howard Stark's experiments, since we know he made it until '91.

The origin is sort of a set thing, Kree soldier. Since Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D has already given us enhanced people from that source you can slide Stark right into that program at an earlier date if you want to

51 minutes ago, Raja said:

She was a Captain Marvel when the best known 'Marvel" and the movie Captain Marvel was still Ms. Marvel

I know who she is I was just wondering if that's who she's playing. Also Carol had become Binary and was hanging with the Starjammers in space at the time!

Apparently the green color was something Mar-Vell wore early on in the comics. There has been speculation that is is just a starter suit and it will change by the end of the movie and/or the time she shows up in present day. It's a nice suit but I do prefer the red,blue and gold color scheme.  

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, Raja said:

I wonder if The Inhumans stole some of the trust Marvel used to have when early pictures came out? 

I doubt enough people saw it to matter.

The Dark World didn't.  Winter Soldier was the next film after that.

awkb9ay42gk11.png

I like this shot a lot more. She looks good.

Directed by Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, Captain Marvel sidesteps the traditional origin-story template, and when it begins, Carol already has her powers. She’s left her earthly life behind to join an elite Kree military team called Starforce, led by Jude Law’s enigmatic commander.

But before long, Carol finds herself back on Earth with new questions about her past. And she’s got a formidable enemy in the form of the Skrulls — the notorious Marvel baddies made all the more dangerous by their shape-shifting abilities. Ben Mendelsohn plays their leader Talos, who spearheads a Skrull invasion of Earth.

So we're skipping the origin story. Interesting take. So she's returning to earth in the 90s as opposed to 2018 (she'll make it to the present eventually, I just mean in this movie), I wonder when exactly she got her powers.

An unknown Skrull invasion in the 90s? I'm into it.

• Love 6

Brie Larson: “She can be aggressive and she can have a temper, and she can be a little invasive and in your face. She’s also quick to jump to things, which makes her amazing in battle because she’s the first one out there and doesn’t always wait for orders. But the [not] waiting for orders is, to some, a character flaw."

Thinking about how people usually react to female characters like that:

TintedEsteemedElver-small.gif

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3

More images!

opw-16473_r.jpg

Directors Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck describe Starforce as the SEAL Team Six of space. Its members include Carol, Korath (Djimon Hounsou, returning from Guardians of the Galaxy), and Minn-Erva (Crazy Rich Asians’ Gemma Chan).

opw-06977_r.jpg

SKRULLS!!!!!

opw-16329_r-2.jpg

Jude Law and Lee Pace as Mar-Vell and Ronan, respectively

dbr1520_cmp_v710-1032.jpg

Young Nick Fury (this is incredible)

See the rest here.

• Love 9

Wow so that was Ronan and his henchman from Guardians. I watched the video on YouTube (thought we were getting a trailer) and kept going, wait is that Ronan?  Wait, did they forget that Djimon Hounsou was in Guardians?  LOL

Sam Jackson looks sufficiently age reduced to play 80s or 90s Fury

• Love 1

I think its a good call to skip the origin story. I like a good origin story as much as the next dork, but there have been so many over the years, that even for a character not seen in movies yet like Captain Marvel, it might seem a bit derivative. What they're doing seems really cool, and seeing old characters should be fun, and another example of Marvel proving what it can do with its massive, shared universe!

NOW WHERE IS MY TRAILER?!?!

• Love 2