Type keyword(s) to search

Captain Marvel (2019)

Kromm
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Oreo2234 said:

The trailer was interesting but I do get the vibe it was hastily put together. This finished filming not that long ago. I think we will get a much better idea of what the film will be like from the next trailer.

And they're still editing, so that may play a part in it as well.

• Love 1

I love that a cat's butt is significant.  I have no knowledge of who this cat's butt belongs too, I haven't googled, and I've only randomly seen a couple of comic panels where the cat was there, so I know they're a thing, but I have no idea what kind of thing they are... but I love it so much.  

• Love 3
19 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

Also I'm pretty sure one of the last shots includes Carol talking to little Monica Rambeau.

All Infinity War 2 needs to give me is a scene of her rescuing a Pakistani girl in Jersey City for me to be completely content.

Marvel has been doing an excellent job of late giving credit to the characters' creators, as evidenced by Jim Starlin getting such a prominent thank you in Infinity War.  I really need them to do the same for Kelly Sue DeConnick here.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, dusang said:

What makes this trailer for me is the series of images of Carol as a child, teen, and woman getting back on her feet after being knocked to the ground. It's everything I want.

Yep, that's what got me interested as well.  I mean lets face it, I was going to watch anyway because I have a little knowledge of Capt. Marvel (X-Men comics and small role in New Warriors - with Jubilee/Wondra run).  However, seeing the scenes of Kara Danvers through life getting knocked down and back up again really hit me more than any scenes of her in costume or with powers.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Yep, that's what got me interested as well.  I mean lets face it, I was going to watch anyway because I have a little knowledge of Capt. Marvel (X-Men comics and small role in New Warriors - with Jubilee/Wondra run).  However, seeing the scenes of Kara Danvers through life getting knocked down and back up again really hit me more than any scenes of her in costume or with powers.

“Have you ever seen a little girl run so fast she falls down? There’s an instant, a fraction of a second before the world catches hold of her again... A moment when she’s outrun every doubt and fear she’s ever had about herself and she flies. In that one moment, every little girl flies.”

That’s from the aforementioned Kelly Sue DeConnick’s rub on Carol’s book. This is pretty much exactly what those scenes made me think of. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, starri said:

“Have you ever seen a little girl run so fast she falls down? There’s an instant, a fraction of a second before the world catches hold of her again... A moment when she’s outrun every doubt and fear she’s ever had about herself and she flies. In that one moment, every little girl flies.”

That’s from the aforementioned Kelly Sue DeConnick’s rub on Carol’s book. This is pretty much exactly what those scenes made me think of. 

She's like Casey Seeger, one female recruit in An Officer and a Gentleman. "Look over there(points at Casey struggling with pullups)... look at her. She decided to stay, instead of taking liberty on this weekend. She may not make it through the program, but she's got more heart and character than you will ever have!"

Spoiler alert she makes it through the officer training program and graduates. Also didn't know until looking the actress Lisa Eilbacher up now I didn't know she played Jenny in Beverly Hills Cop and this Wikipedia bit: "An amateur bodybuilder in real life, Eilbacher said the hardest aspect of this role was "pretending" to be out of shape!"

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, starri said:

wow, i can't believe i wrote Kara Danvers....WTF was I thinking?  My mind is shot.  Carol...Carol Danvers...I don't even watch Supergirl 

No, I haven't read any of the Captain Marvel books but, that quote just gave me chills and now i'm picturing the images from the trailer with that quote and it's brilliant!

• Love 2

That Diversity & Comics troll is the worst. He's a narrow minded bigot AND BORING. I accidentally watched about 5 minutes of one of his videos. They are terrible. Boring and scattered. Juvenile. Nor does he seem to understand how to do legitimate criticism. Terrible audio quality. Static camera shots except for when he is holding the camera in hand and doing a poor man's imitation of an off-brand generic version of a Paul Greengrass handheld shaky cam trying to do a steady shot.

If there's any merit to any of his arguments, which I don't think there is, the mechanism of delivery is so bad that it would drive everyone who isn't seeking confirmation away. He is the "Old Man Yells at Cloud" headline.

You must really hate women and minorities to make it through one of his awful videos. Yuck.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

That Diversity & Comics troll is the worst. He's a narrow minded bigot AND BORING. I accidentally watched about 5 minutes of one of his videos. They are terrible. Boring and scattered. Juvenile. Nor does he seem to understand how to do legitimate criticism. Terrible audio quality. Static camera shots except for when he is holding the camera in hand and doing a poor man's imitation of an off-brand generic version of a Paul Greengrass handheld shaky cam trying to do a steady shot.

If there's any merit to any of his arguments, which I don't think there is, the mechanism of delivery is so bad that it would drive everyone who isn't seeking confirmation away. He is the "Old Man Yells at Cloud" headline.

You must really hate women and minorities to make through one of his awful videos. Yuck.

Have you seen any of the samples from the comics he is selling? He has some guts to review other comics....

• Love 3

I hope the Movie is better because the Trailer realy looks as others have said bevor, kind of  meh ^^

Not bad but there is the Spark missing ,the only time i got a little sense of that was in the Standing up Sequence.

And lets be real the punching the old Lady bit was a terrible inclusion in the Trailer.

Yeah sure she is a Skrull but the Fans who know only the MCU dont know that ,its stupid to put that bit in the Trailer.

• Love 2

A slightly better look at the suit!

I haven't paid that much attention to the casting (other than the big names), but I noticed there wasn't really an implied love interest in the trailer. I'd love it if this was just about Carol and her journey, no love interests needed. 

I wonder how the de-aging CGI will look over a full length movie rather than in short scenes. SLJ probably didn't need as much de-aging as say, Michael Douglas did.

• Love 4

And lets be real the punching the old Lady bit was a terrible inclusion in the Trailer.

Yeah sure she is a Skrull but the Fans who know only the MCU dont know that ,its stupid to put that bit in the Trailer.

Watched the trailer with my kids and my 4 year old actually asked "why is she punching a grandma?!," So yeah.....agree, terrible inclusion.

Tbh, I didn't even notice her punching the old woman, and when I saw the comments, my first thought was that the enemy is apparently good at camouflage/shapeshifting? Because I know very little about the Skrull, so it was an interesting piece of information.  And I have to say that if someone I knew had expressed distress about her punching a friendly looking old lady, my first thought would have been that sometimes the most dangerous enemy comes to you like a friend... unfortunately, I don't think it's ever too early to learn that lesson.   

As for the 'love interest', I too find it really interesting that there doesn't seem to be a traditional male love interest either!  And I do hope that the story is going to be told through many different kinds of relationships she has!  Particularly non-sexually based relationships with men and any kind of relationship with other women.  This will be an opportunity for Marvel to put their money where their mouth is... there is definitely a lot riding on how they handle this.  

• Love 10

I didn't have any issue with her expression, my only problem was the voiceover. She sounded very young? I can't explain it. But I have a feeling that isn't actual dialogue from the film.

I've seen Brie in a couple of films and her voice sounded higher pitched than usual.

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 1
On 9/21/2018 at 11:27 AM, Andrew Wiggin said:

I hope the Movie is better because the Trailer realy looks as others have said bevor, kind of  meh ^^

Not bad but there is the Spark missing ,the only time i got a little sense of that was in the Standing up Sequence.

18 hours ago, nomodrama said:

Watched the trailer with my kids and my 4 year old actually asked "why is she punching a grandma?!," So yeah.....agree, terrible inclusion.

It's actually reassuring to me that the reaction from most non-Marvel fans is alarm and disturbed because people usually find old ladies getting hurt hilarious in a comedic situation. I remember seeing the trailer for the remake of The Shaggy Dog starring Tim Allen in theaters and audiences were uproariously laughing at the end bit(I sincerely apologize for having the image of Tim Allen with an abnormally long tongue BTW):

This is probably showing my age, but everytime I heard about a Captain Marvel trailer coming out, I kept thinking it was for the old Fawcett/Billy Batson/Captain Marvel character.  I know they've since changed that hero's name to Shazam for legal purposes, but I just can't get used to it.

As for this movie, there isn't much that got me excited.  It was nice to see the original (sort of) green Kree uniforms.

I'm happy to see the Skrulls finally introduced, but they were flesh colored in the trailer.  Of course, they have chameleon-like and shape shifting abilities, so hopefully they're really green under there somewhere.   

• Love 1
3 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

No they're not. They are most assuredly green in the trailer.

Okay, thanks for that.  A lighter green than I was expecting, but green nonetheless.  My mistake was a combination of old eyes, a rather dark TV, and the quick "blink and you'll miss them" Skrull scene in the trailer.  I've been meaning to turn up the brightness for awhile now, I really need to do that.  Or just watch trailers on the computer.

This is an incredibly minor spoiler, but out of an abundance of caution...

Spoiler

Apparently, they've renamed Carol's cat from Chewie (obviously a Star Wars reference) to Goose (a Top Gun reference).  That makes thematic sense  with Carol's day job, but the lack of corporate synergy is vaguely disappointing.

1 hour ago, starri said:

This is an incredibly minor spoiler, but out of an abundance of caution...

Reveal hidden contents

Apparently, they've renamed Carol's cat from Chewie (obviously a Star Wars reference) to Goose (a Top Gun reference).  That makes thematic sense  with Carol's day job, but the lack of corporate synergy is vaguely disappointing.

It might make that eventual Marvel/Star Wars crossover extra confusing. Maybe that's why Peter didn't just say the names of the movies in Civil War and Infinity War!

That poster looks incredible. She looks incredibly badass.

• Love 1

Fury's a cat person...that's so wrong LOL.

OK one thing I don't get (and will need to research). Is Captain Marvel overpowered compared to other Kree or are all Kree that powerful? If it's all of them then why wasn't Ronan the Accuser flying around in GotG?

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Fury's a cat person...that's so wrong LOL.

Ha! That was actually my favorite part.  They're doing a Bucky comic (so not MCU) soon and he's getting a white cat (that the writer named Alpine) and now I want to see Fury bonding with that cat too.  :-D

Other than Fury, I don't know these characters so I have no emotional hook.  It looks awesome.  I especially love the sparkly energy she throws around, and it seems like it could be an interesting origin story (there's even a bit of a Bucky/Winter Soldier flavor to it, but without the torture), but at the moment, I'm more interested in how she's going to tie into A4.  

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

Ha! That was actually my favorite part.  They're doing a Bucky comic (so not MCU) soon and he's getting a white cat (that the writer named Alpine) and now I want to see Fury bonding with that cat too.  :-D

Other than Fury, I don't know these characters so I have no emotional hook.  It looks awesome.  I especially love the sparkly energy she throws around, and it seems like it could be an interesting origin story (there's even a bit of a Bucky/Winter Soldier flavor to it, but without the torture), but at the moment, I'm more interested in how she's going to tie into A4.  

$10 says the stinger is her recieving the pager message from Fury that we saw at the end of IW.

• Love 5

I totally get Fury being a cat person, and I love it. I hope that we find out that he has about six rescue cats of his own. 

Good trailer. Not as instantly iconic as some of the MCU trailers, but it looks really cool, appropriately epic, and Brie Larson got more of a chance to show her performance. I cant wait to actually get to see this movie! Especially now that I can gather more about what the movie might actually be about!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

OK one thing I don't get (and will need to research). Is Captain Marvel overpowered compared to other Kree or are all Kree that powerful? If it's all of them then why wasn't Ronan the Accuser flying around in GotG?

She isn't a Kree. She is a Kree-Human hybrid. In case the trailer hasn't made it clear enough yet, she was a human fighter pilot, aliens came to Earth, spaceship crashed and she was caught in the explosion. They took her off Earth and seem to experiment even further on her. But she is not a pure Kree, just a human whose DNA was altered by an accident involving alien technology.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Smad said:

She isn't a Kree. She is a Kree-Human hybrid. In case the trailer hasn't made it clear enough yet, she was a human fighter pilot, aliens came to Earth, spaceship crashed and she was caught in the explosion.

The trailer tells us that the story more or less is her  journey back to remembering and/or figuring all of this out.

And that you wouldn't want to be on her bad side once she does remember.

2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I totally get Fury being a cat person, and I love it. I hope that we find out that he has about six rescue cats of his own. 

Good trailer. Not as instantly iconic as some of the MCU trailers, but it looks really cool, appropriately epic, and Brie Larson got more of a chance to show her performance. I cant wait to actually get to see this movie! Especially now that I can gather more about what the movie might actually be about!

I thought the end tag with the cat and furry just got all fur baby parents into the theater in March. Good move. More compelling trailer than the last one and more blunt about the scrull war.  Still not sure that the kree "tortured" her to give her powers. Sounds like she lost her memory in the incident that gave her the powers and the Kree just didn't do anything to give them back / put her to use with them. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Smad said:

She isn't a Kree. She is a Kree-Human hybrid. In case the trailer hasn't made it clear enough yet, she was a human fighter pilot, aliens came to Earth, spaceship crashed and she was caught in the explosion. They took her off Earth and seem to experiment even further on her. But she is not a pure Kree, just a human whose DNA was altered by an accident involving alien technology.

Yeah, I got that from the trailer but, Human's don't have that kind of power unless they're mutants and in the comics she got her powers from Mar-vell (a Kree).

So the question still stands is she over powered compared to Kree or are the other Kree in this movie just as powerful? If she's over powered why? If not, why didn't we see Ronan flying around and, shooting energy? Considering Kree are the genetic twist that turned Humans into Inhumans giving them all kinds of powers (once activated by the Terrigen Mist) the powers had to come from the Kree infusion.

Now there could be a situation where not all Kree are created equal, just like not all Shi'ar have powers but, if that's the case then I'd hope to see some Kree that are just as powerful as Carol. Otherwise having a Superman type character (which has always bored me) fighting people that are just stronger/more durable than the average human isn't going to interest me.

I never read Captain Marvel comics, all I know about the character comes from X-Men with Rogue stealing her powers (flight, super strength, invulnerability) but, I'm trying to ascertain a baseline for her power level. 

I did some research last night but, there wasn't much info. Kree have Blue skinned (genetically pure) versions and Pink/white Skinned versions that are from Kree mating with other species to try and jump start their frozen evolution. But it didn't say if Blue vs Pink made a difference in power levels.

I'm assuming an explanation will be given in the movie, I was just curious if there was a basis in the comics. 

• Love 1