Type keyword(s) to search

Captain Marvel (2019)

Kromm
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

As a fan of Agents of SHIELD I'm glad to see younger Coulson. It would have been great to see Melinda May too.

I'm tired of Coulson but don't mind him here as it makes a lot of sense.  I really wish we would get to see Melinda May here too.  She would be great for this movie and as pointed out, you actually wouldn't have to use the de-aging CGI for Ming Na.

• Love 5

In related news, pioneering Navy pilot Rosemary Mariner passed away this week. 

Such was the highflying life of Mariner, a born pilot who broke not so much the glass ceiling as the crystal sky by becoming one of the first women to earn her Navy wings in 1973, the first woman to fly a tactical fighter jet a year later and, in 1990, the first to command a squadron in the run-up to the Gulf War.

• Love 2

I loved the super bowl commercial. I never see movies on opening weekend but I will for this. 

Edited by Guest
54 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

So where do I get a Higher, Further, Faster shirt before March?

Where can I get all the merch for this movie 😂 they better have “Her, a Hero” shirts too.

• Love 1

Disney has you covered.  There is a tote bag with the "Higher. Further. Faster" on it too.

The Air Force stuff had kind of a fun Top Gun vibe to it... and it looks like as I was hoping, its going to be focusing a lot on her relationships with different people.  And apparently the word from the test screening was that Goose pretty much steals the show.  

• Love 3

Disney Cruise Line does a "Marvel Day at Sea" on some of their cruises, which culminates in a big show where the Avengers and Guardians who are easy to cosplay fight Red Skull and Loki.  It's really cool and cheesy, with pyrotechnics and even a cameo by Stan.  They've recently added Carol to it (and gave the performer playing her a phenomenally good costume).  She gets a HUGE round of applause and cheers in the videos I've seen of it.

I'm really ready for the movie.

• Love 1

HA! That shitty website made my day. That overused ugly font whose name I forget, the crappy layout, the hard to find links - it’s all so perfectly 90s. And not to leave out the backgrounds: the too-bright colors, the poorly repeating images, and those sparkly stars. The only thing that could make the site better would be if it made the dial-up sound whenever you click a link.

We thought we were so cool in the 90s, heh.

• Love 8

‘Captain Marvel’ Eyes Heroic $100 Million-Plus Opening Weekend

Disney and Marvel’s first female-led superhero adventure is tracking for an opening weekend of $100 million, according to early estimates. With three weeks to go until “Captain Marvel” hits theaters on March 8, some box office watchers suggest enthusiastic word of mouth could propel that figure to north of $120 million.

That would put “Captain Marvel” on pace with “Wonder Woman,” DC’s first comic-book blockbuster to feature a female superhero. Directed by Patty Jenkins and starring Gal Gadot, “Wonder Woman” debuted with a mighty $103 million domestically, and ended its box office run with $412 million in North America and $821 million worldwide.

Cool. I'm going opening weekend although I'll probably wait until Sunday like I did with Black Panther. I've been very wishy washy on this movie because the promos haven't sold me. I did really like that promo that aired during Arrow, it had most of the same clips as others but, gave more personality (IMO) to Carol. 

• Love 1

I'm slightly worried that this will lean into the 90s nostalgia too hard. I remember the 90s. It had some good points, some bad points, some 'the best we could manage at the time' points. Not everything needs to be brought back. We don't need to see a horizontal computer case with a CRT screen on top, with a dialup modem connected. If they want to make the computer look really alien, it'll be running Windows 3.1 instead of 95. It might have a Doom icon on the desktop.

Given that Carol wears a NIN shirt, odds are that Nirvana will play on the radio. If so, it'll be Teen Spirit. Though we might even get Metallica's Enter Sandman. Big question. Do you think we'll get a Friends, Seinfeld, or Simpsons reference?

Yes, I'm expecting at least some of the above. And I'm expecting it to be on the nose. Do you think it'll be as nostalgia-laden as I think? WIll it be good? Bad?

First ‘Captain Marvel’ Reactions Tease an Ambitious, Trippy Sci-Fi Adventure

Almost entirely positive so far. Apparently the trailers have not been all that representative, as it's being described as a trippy, nostalgic, funny, ambitious, surprising cosmic space movie with a non-linear structure. Apparently there are show-stealers all over the place (the cat, Ben Mendelsohn, Lashana Lynch). I'm even more excited to see it now (and, after hearing repeatedly about how surprising it is, more determined to remain unspoiled!).

More reactions at IGN.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Dee said:

As a straight white male, I've been pandered to my whole life. It's nice, I admit. But I'm cool with other people having their turn. For that matter, I'm completely happy with heroes & heroines that don't look like me. I'm not a narcissist. Let them whine all they want, as long as they aren't in the ticket queue ahead of me.

Okay, a few more left-handed action heroes wouldn't go astray. 🙂

• Love 11

The Problem i got with Captain Marvel other then the bland expression we got in the first Trailer,is they preachynes i hear from Bree Larson and the Advertising.

Without it the standing up segment of the Trailer would look cool ,so it looks like Politics.

Look at Wonder Woman there you got a strong Hero without preaching,Ellen Ripley ,Buffy ,Xena ,Aeryn Sun, there are so many Strong female Heros out there ,show a strong Women nobody will say a thing and like the Movie if its is good.

But if you start to be preachy you will get anoyed Reactions.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

Misogynistic racist assholes. Don't forget they tried the same bullshit with Black Panther

I support the misogynistic racist assholes.

But I suspect this movie will do well enough. First, a lot of people are desperate to get some clue or something about End Game and that makes it worth it to them. Similar to Ant man. I expect most of the box office to come early and then drop off because 

1. No one really is that interested in Captain Marvel (her comics don't do well)

2. She is overpowered. Ruining the other characters.

3. She is cosmic.. I think a little cosmic goes a long way and I know reviews have stated this is full on cosmic.

4. Brie Larson has just been a jerk in her statements.

5. I am getting sick of this woman centric marketing baloney. Black Widow, Princess Leia, and Wilma Deering called and want their title(s) back.