Type keyword(s) to search

Captain Marvel (2019)

Kromm
  • Start Topic

35 minutes ago, Smad said:

Then why start now? These aren't the first movies it happened to I'm sure. So of course it's not coincidence that they only did it now. If you think companies like Disney (Marvel and Star Wars are both Disney) wouldn't do this to protect their business, then I don't know what to tell you. It's a regular business practice to silence anything that might give you a bad rep.

Did you read what I wrote? I said that it’s not a coincidence. I’m saying that companies like Disney would do exactly this to protect their business but that in this case it is Fandango and Warner Bros doing it to protect their business. 

Why now? Because right now it is two Disney movies but it’s not going to stay that way. As far as I can tell, it is unusual for it to happen 10 months before a movie comes out and before a movie even has a official name or trailer.

35 minutes ago, Smad said:

Brie Larson advertised #gofundme campaigns on her twitter (even on Ellen). It was to raise money for underprivileged girls (not boys of course) so they can see the movie. These girls don't need a movie, they need food, clothes and a roof over their heads. Brie was asking people who can afford it to fund the money via those campaigns (aka charity). Some of those #gofundme were just a couple thousand dollars and Brie probably got loads of money from her Marvel contract but didn't help one bit by spending some of her own money to help reach the desired goals for those funds. She is basically using regular people who can afford it to pay for movie tickets for others which is money directly into Disney's pocket and eventually hers. That's called money laundering.

No, it’s not. You might it questionable but it does not even remotely fit the definition of money laundering. 

Edited by Guest

If anyone thinks this movie legitimately dropped from more than 80% of RT voters wanting to see it to under 30% over the course of a few days while somehow trending upward in box office projections, I have a couple bridges I'd love to sell you.

• LOL 1
  • Love 21
7 hours ago, Smad said:

Brie Larson advertised #gofundme campaigns on her twitter (even on Ellen). It was to raise money for underprivileged girls (not boys of course) so they can see the movie. These girls don't need a movie, they need food, clothes and a roof over their heads. Brie was asking people who can afford it to fund the money via those campaigns (aka charity). Some of those #gofundme were just a couple thousand dollars and Brie probably got loads of money from her Marvel contract but didn't help one bit by spending some of her own money to help reach the desired goals for those funds. She is basically using regular people who can afford it to pay for movie tickets for others which is money directly into Disney's pocket and eventually hers. That's called money laundering.

As others have said, I don't know if that's money laundering. But it IS very sad, especially if she only did it for underprivileged girls. Because if that's true-she definitely contributed to the whole "sexist" or gender biased thing.  I have my own thoughts on what she did, but I won't post them here because I do try my best to speak (or type) only positive things and there's really nothing positive that can be said about such a thing. It's not a "good" or nice or even selfless thing, that she did, and I'll leave it at that. As you said-if you care about underprivileged kids-buy them FOOD and CLOTHING. They need those things. They don't need your movie. They (some of them) may *want* to see it. And young girls need positive role models. But young girls don't, and  have never, made up the majority of these audiences, anyway. A good role model would teach them that their needs-shelter, food, clothing-are more important and take precedence over their wants. A good role model wouldn't teach them "well, GoFundMe will pay for it.". What in the world ever happened to teaching kids to earn something they want ? Oh well.

Kind of arrogant to think they'd rather have a ticket to your movie than a chance to have three meals a day.

Whoops. There I go, telling the truth. I'll stop now.

Edited by IWantCandy71
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Cranberry said:

If anyone thinks this movie legitimately dropped from more than 80% of RT voters wanting to see it to under 30% over the course of a few days while somehow trending upward in box office projections, I have a couple bridges I'd love to sell you.

But  you are assuming without question, that the 80% was legitimate.

Has anyone even considered that the whole thing is just some twisted publicity stunt ? 

I don't put anything past Hollywood. I still remember how Moffat and Gatiss "leaked" the last episode of Sherlock and tried to pretend they knew nothing about it. It only really works if your movie or show is quality, in the end, and if it IS quality, why bother with stupidity like this.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, raven said:

The GFM was started by Frederick Joseph, who also did a similar Black Panther challenge

The fundraiser is to take the girls affiliated with Girls Inc LAA quick look shows they don't have a really large operating budget.

So the money will take those girls to see the movie with a chaperone and have refreshments.  The fundraiser FAR exceeded expectations and the excess funds will go directly to Girls Inc. "to expand their programs in STEM education, literacy, and math to more girls in Watts, Compton, and South LA."

Nothing wrong with any of that.

There totally IS  something wrong with teaching kids if they want something, they can just beg the internet for it.

I saved my allowance or did chores to earn money when I wanted something.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Trini said:

Is that what you really think happened? Brie Larson found some starving homeless children and gave them movie tickets?

That is not what I said. I said needs should always come before wants.

And, from what I have read, Brie Larson didn't give them anything. She's perpetuating GoFundMe as a source to get what you want when you want it though-and there is absolutely nothing positive about saying "Yeah GIMME. I want to see this movie. Make other people pay for it."

That is not a positive message.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, IWantCandy71 said:

That is not what I said. I said needs should always come before wants.

Yes, of course. But why do you assume the girls' needs aren't being meet just because they are going to see a movie?

She's perpetuating GoFundMe as a source to get what you want when you want it though-

Ah, so your problem is with GoFundMe.

There totally IS  something wrong with teaching kids if they want something, they can just beg the internet for it.

and there is absolutely nothing positive about saying "Yeah GIMME. I want to see this movie. Make other people pay for it."

That is not a positive message.

That's one take. Another is that "the internet" wanted to do something nice for some girls. I haven't observed anything that encourages girls to beg.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 21
7 minutes ago, Trini said:

Yes, of course. But why do you assume the girls needs aren't being meet just because they are going to see a movie?

Ah, so your problem is with GoFundMe.

That's one take. Another is that "the internet" wanted to do something nice for some girls. I haven't observed anything that encourages girls to beg.

Because they were identified as "underprivileged."

I do think GoFundMe is good for legitimate causes, such as a poor family has an unexpected death, or illness, and needs funds. A movie ticket is not what that was created for, and it's really sad that has to be said.

Edited by IWantCandy71
  • Love 1
On 2/24/2019 at 6:56 PM, Dee said:

I adore Brie. I'm so glad that she's making the most of this major opportunity.

The only thing I remember seeing her in was Kong:Skull Island and I liked her in that.  I'll see Captain Marvel when it's out; the more trailers I see, the more interested I am.  I like the vibe between her and Fury.  I was getting burnt out on the superhero genre, especially the origin stories.  I haven't seen Aquaman yet just because I'm tired of origin stories and I loved Jason Mamoa in The Red Road (and in general, heh) .

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, IWantCandy71 said:

Don't doubt for a minute that very message is what some of them will pick up, whether it is purposely intended or not.

Well, I'm not one to say "don't do this positive thing because something negative may or may not come out of it".  We may as well not do anything at all.

15 minutes ago, IWantCandy71 said:

Because they were identified as "underprivileged."

The ARE underprivileged; the girls going are all clients of the Girls Inc LA agency.  If these were girls from Rodeo Drive I would feel differently.

I was curious so looked up the facts.  Personally, I think it's great.  When I was that age and wanted to go to a movie, my family had the means for me to go; maybe these families would like to take their kids but can't spare the cost.   These kids will probably have a great time and I bet the agency will use it as some kind of discussion/growth opportunity, to encourage the girls to be educated and to dream.  And if they don't and the kids get nothing but a fun afternoon, so what?  They didn't have to cut their budget, people don't have to give, etc etc.  I feel like I'm repeating myself I'm just going to agree to disagree.

• Love 23
10 minutes ago, raven said:

Well, I'm not one to say "don't do this positive thing because something negative may or may not come out of it".  We may as well not do anything at all.

The ARE underprivileged; the girls going are all clients of the Girls Inc LA agency.  If these were girls from Rodeo Drive I would feel differently.

I was curious so looked up the facts.  Personally, I think it's great.  When I was that age and wanted to go to a movie, my family had the means for me to go; maybe these families would like to take their kids but can't spare the cost.   These kids will probably have a great time and I bet the agency will use it as some kind of discussion/growth opportunity, to encourage the girls to be educated and to dream.  And if they don't and the kids get nothing but a fun afternoon, so what?  They didn't have to cut their budget, people don't have to give, etc etc.  I feel like I'm repeating myself so we can just agree to disagree.

I think giving is great. I do it when I can. It's just.....if Brie Larson is so wrapped up in these kids....the kids and the agency should have been the ONLY benefactors of any money.

But they aren't, are they ? As the other person said..now Marvel (and BL by association) benefits.

And that ultimately was my point-that it's kind of a selfish act at least a  little bit about herself, wrapped up and disguised as something more benevolent. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

So yes, we'll disagree. 

As far as them being underprivileged, I never challenged that. Someone else had something to say about it and I responded.

I don't doubt they are underprivileged. I just don't think all of THEM care half as much as Brie wants us to think they do, about seeing her movie.

Edited by IWantCandy71

I saw the trailer for this movie and absolutely loved it. I love when scenes line up to the beat in the songs used, and Captain Marvel (I don't know her non super-name?) standing up at several ages in unison was just such a cool visual. I always say I don't like superhero movies but then I watch them and I'm completely in awe the whole time. Bonus points if this movie has humor like Ant Man and the Wasp. That's been possibly my favorite Marvel flick so far. 

Only one more week to wait!!

• Love 5

Am I the only one who is now more determined to support Captain Marvel as a result of the backlash?  My original plan was to go to a discount showing just before End Game is released but now I have a ticket for opening day (a first for me). I was so appalled reading the comments for #CaptainMarvelChallenge that I decided to donate money to one that hasn’t met it’s goal yet. 

31 minutes ago, Dani said:

Am I the only one who is now more determined to support Captain Marvel as a result of the backlash?

You are not. My friend (a straight white male who is not an insecure baby) and I see every MCU film together, but we dislike 3D and usually wait for an afternoon show without it. This controversy annoyed him so much that he suggested we go to the first showing in our city, 3D be damned. We already have our tickets.

• Love 17

@Dani

Nope. I already had tickets for 13 people on Saturday night, but was not going to see it again because there are so many movies that I want to see coming out this year and $$ is not unlimited. But I will for sure go for a second round, and all the hate actually made me go out to a mall on a weekend!(so many people) to buy a Captain Marvel shirt from the Disney store. And if that bomber jacket was actually available on the Disney store or online would have bought that too.

There are movies made and starring actual horrible humans that people have no problem supporting, so all this fake outrage makes me angry. If you don't want to watch it, don't watch it. Not that hard.

@Dandesun @raven @Trini @Cranberry your posts are great!

I also regret returning my Thursday night ticket. My family was like we want to watch it too so decided I didn't need to go to the 10:00pm show cause have work in the morning and we're going on Saturday anyways.  Who needs sleep??

Edited by dkb
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, Dani said:

Am I the only one who is now more determined to support Captain Marvel as a result of the backlash?

I was never *not* going to see this movie but I do think that's a bit... silly?  Sorry, can't think of a better word.  It's basically the same as people who hate certain music or films simply because they're popular (hipsters).  I like Taylor Swift's "Blank Space" & no one can tell me otherwise!!!  It's letting other people affect what you're interested in, IMO.  See/listen to what you want.  By all means, go see this movie - I fully expect it to be awesome, but going even partially out of spite just seems pointless to me.

• Love 1

Dani said support, not see. Everyone who replied in the affirmative was already planning to see it. We're just going to see it earlier so we contribute to big opening-weekend numbers. (And also, in the case of my friend and me, because we're excited about what sounds like a great film and want to see it before we can be accidentally spoiled.)

Captain Marvel Doesn't Have A Love Interest Because She Has Something Better: Female Friendship

Brie Larson Almost Turned Down A 'Captain Marvel' Meeting Because Of The Pressures Of Fronting The Franchise

The more I read about Larson, the more I like her.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, ICantDoThatDave said:

I was never *not* going to see this movie but I do think that's a bit... silly?  Sorry, can't think of a better word.  It's basically the same as people who hate certain music or films simply because they're popular (hipsters).  I like Taylor Swift's "Blank Space" & no one can tell me otherwise!!!  It's letting other people affect what you're interested in, IMO.  See/listen to what you want.  By all means, go see this movie - I fully expect it to be awesome, but going even partially out of spite just seems pointless to me.

As I said in my post I was always going to see the movie in the theater. I was already debating seeing the movie near opening weekend this just pushed me to actually go to the theater a buy the ticket. It pushed me to actually donate money to a cause instead of saying maybe I’ll do it later. 

All the backlash has done is cause me to get off my complacent ass and put my money where my heart is. 

It made me realize that if I want more diversity in films the way to have an impact is to show up on opening weekend and help prove that a female superhero can own the box office. 

I’m not going out of anger or spite. I am going because I absolutely believe this movie is going to be amazing and I want more like it in the future. 

Edited by Guest

I don't think anyone here is going out of spite. I think some of us are just tired of movies getting backlash because they happen to star women or POC. We just want to support these things. I will say that I'm never going to understand people that sit around down voting or trolling things they haven't even seen. I just won't, and no amount of "but freedom" is ever going to make me understand. It's so negative and I don't have time for that.

Edited by festivus
just one typo changes the meaning!
  • Love 18
1 minute ago, Lugal said:

Exactly.  I hate this attitude that poor people must somehow suffer nobly and that taking any enjoyment in anything unless they somehow aren't as poor as they claim to be.

Yeah. I'm not understanding the problem with making it so these girls can go see CM. Yes, making sure they are fed, clothed and housed is very important but enjoyment in life is important too or what's the point.

I apologize in advance for this bit of TMI. I'm incapacitated right now and I'm having surgery in three weeks and I probably won't even get to see this movie at the theater and support it. Maybe it's stupid but it bothers me.

• Love 12
49 minutes ago, Dani said:

As I said in my post I was always going to see the movie in the theater. I was already debating seeing the movie near opening weekend this just pushed me to actually go to the theater a buy the ticket. It pushed me to actually donate money to a cause instead of saying maybe I’ll do it later. 

All the backlash has done is cause me to get off my complacent ass and put my money where my heart is. 

It made me realize that if I want more diversity is films the way to have an impact is to show up on opening weekend and help prove that a female superhero can own the box office. 

I’m not going out of anger or spite. I am going because I absolutely believe this movie is going to be amazing and I want more like it in the future. 

Cosigned.  The last couple of years, I've tried to be more mindful of supporting diverse projects.  It doesn't mean I rush to the theater for every single movie about women/PoC/LGBTQ folks/etc., but it means that, if I have an interest in a diverse film, I'm going to make a plan to see it rather than just think "if I get time...", and I'll do my best to see it opening weekend.  The best way I can help (try to) convince Hollywood to make more diverse projects is to literally put my money where my mouth is.

• Love 8
20 hours ago, IWantCandy71 said:

As others have said, I don't know if that's money laundering. But it IS very sad, especially if she only did it for underprivileged girls. Because if that's true-she definitely contributed to the whole "sexist" or gender biased thing.  I have my own thoughts on what she did, but I won't post them here because I do try my best to speak (or type) only positive things and there's really nothing positive that can be said about such a thing. It's not a "good" or nice or even selfless thing, that she did, and I'll leave it at that. As you said-if you care about underprivileged kids-buy them FOOD and CLOTHING. They need those things. They don't need your movie. 

Not sure I see the problem. There are lots of charities that give people less fortunate things they don't need but make them happy. That is kind of the whole point of Make a wish type charities.  Plus it food banks carry all kinds of food not just oatmeal and other cheap high nutrition value foods. In the end it is a charity, if people don't want to donate they don't have to.

• Love 13
On 2/27/2019 at 11:41 AM, Smad said:

Then why start now? These aren't the first movies it happened to I'm sure. So of course it's not coincidence that they only did it now. If you think companies like Disney (Marvel and Star Wars are both Disney) wouldn't do this to protect their business, then I don't know what to tell you. It's a regular business practice to silence anything that might give you a bad rep.

Because the first was chalked up to Star Wars fanboys. With the second occurrence, third if you count the  Black Panther it is starting to look like someone on another cultural/political side taking aim. So now they are trying to protect their site from yet another battleground for the politics is my church crowd

• Love 4

I hadn't looked at a Magic Eye picture in ages, but I've still got it!

In Another '90s Throwback, Captain Marvel Returns Magic Eye to the Public Consciousness

As for the next one: Cool, as long as she avoids Scientology and jumping on couches:

The next Tom Cruise? Brie Larson got ripped, did most of her own 'Captain Marvel' stunts

By the time Larson was shooting the film, which involves plenty of combat scenes and punch-throwing, she was able to deadlift 225 pounds, do 10 pull-ups in a row and hip-thrust 400 pounds, which “was something I never thought I could do," she says.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
39 minutes ago, Dee said:

I just watched a promo which revealed who she was playing. I guess it's not technically a spoiler since they're open about it but Supreme Intelligence. When it was first announced she would be in the movie only role that would fit someone of her stature would have to be the Supreme Intelligence even though in the comics the characters look like this:

IMG_900C0F822391_1.jpeg

• Love 3

'Captain Marvel' Tracking Ahead of Other Recent Superhero Titles in IMAX Ticket Sales

And not only IMAX:

Captain Marvel is flying high in every area of its projected box office performance, not just IMAX ticket sales. The most recent estimates suggest that the film could top $150 million in its opening weekend in North America, which would nearly triple the opening weekend of 2019's current record-holder, How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World. Over in China, Captain Marvel is looking to make between $75-85 million over its first three days, which puts it just below Captain America: Civil War. However, advance sales in China are on pace with Civil War, so the debut could be even bigger than expected.

Despite some of the negative comments coming from a small section of the Internet, Captain Marvel seems to be defying all projections, and aiming for a higher, further, faster dominance of the box office next weekend.

I usually don't care how much money superhero movies make at the box office (aside from Wonder Woman, as I expected people would be looking to it when considering whether or not to greenlight more female-led superhero films), but I hope this one makes more than anyone is expecting. Can't wait to see how the "Brie Larson is ruining Marvel"/"Brie Larson just cost Marvel a hundred million dollars" people will try to spin that.

• Love 11

I think it will do well, I don't know if it will hit that 150M, my guess is somewhere around 120M opening weekend.

I've been playing chicken with this thread, I keep meaning to avoid it so I don't get spoiled but, I end up checking every time there's a new post. 😁

• Love 4
(edited)

U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds celebrate Captain Marvel with Hollywood flyover

This flyover is a unique moment to honor the men and women serving in the Armed Forces who are represented in Captain Marvel,” said Lt. Col. John Caldwell, the Thunderbirds Commander/Leader. “Being part of this event is a tremendous opportunity, and we look forward to demonstrating the pride, precision and professionalism of the 660,000 total force Airmen of the U.S. Air Force over the city of Los Angeles.”

The Thunderbirds have close ties to the film’s production. Last January, in preparation for the film, lead actress Brie Larson and director Anna Boden visited the team during an Air Force immersion and F-16 flight at Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.

During production, the team provided two Thunderbird pilots to advise cast and crew on fighter pilot traditions and culture. One of the advisors was Maj. Stephen “Cajun” Del Bagno, who passed away in a mishap during a routine Thunderbird training flight in Nevada only a week after consulting on-set.

From this article:

Monday, March 4, the Thunderbirds’ signature Delta formation will fly over the premiere of “Captain Marvel” in Los Angeles around 5:30 PST. However, around 12:15 PST that same day, the Thunderbirds will first conduct a practice flyover of the premiere followed by a round robin over Los Angeles. They’ll fly over the the Santa Monica Pier, Pepperdine University, Hollywood Boulevard, the California Institute of Technology, the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and finally, they’ll fly over the home of Major Stephen “Cajun” Del Bagno’s parents just north of Los Angeles.

I might actually get to see the practice flight from my house in Pasadena, since this is where JPL is (although, the other side of Pasadena, which is why I might not see it).

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 6

Oh, that's a shame about Del Bagno passing away. Nice that the Air Force is letting the Thunderbirds plot their flight over his folks' home in tribute—I imagine that can't be inexpensive to extend the route for a whole squadron of jet fighters.

• Love 3

Lashana Lynch Is Changing the Face of Superhero Movies

Lynch sees the movie’s very existence as a powerful sign to women that there’s room for everyone in the Marvel universe. “My character and Carol Danvers are fighter pilots, [and] it’s nice to see how women can really burst through in that environment and hold their own,” she says. “You catch a lot of us being strong, driven, bold, females in the workplace, in what’s typically a male-oriented environment...just being a complete badass going to work. And that's all we want to do as females: We just want to rule the world and feel fly doing it.”

• Love 3
7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Trying to raise money to help underprivileged girls see a movie they presumably wanted to see anyway, and hoping for more diversity in journalism? WHAT A MONSTER! 

I mean, its kind of hilarious how hard people are trying to hate this woman for the most out of context ridiculous things, or things that are obviously good, like raising money for underprivileged girls to see a movie where a woman gets to lead a big block buster. I mean, isnt seeing something inspirational a good thing could inspire kids to do good things in the world a...good thing?

I don't hate Brie Larson. I don't know her. And quite frankly ? I don't care-and I'm sure I'm not the only one. She's an actress, I have no personal investment in her.

And I definitely don't have any investment in how much money this movie makes. I'm sure it will make a ton, and like most movies that make that much, it won't be an indicator of quality.

Nor do I have a problem at all with someone maybe helping a kid to go see a movie if they can't afford it.  I do have a problem with Go Fund Me being used for it, though. I think that was originally intended for emergencies and tragedies, maybe ministry and charity organizations going overseas to give aid, etc. Even to provide a car to a single parent who doesn't have one, etc. Not for whatever a person decides they want it for-and I've seen that happen over and over, countless times. Maybe I have seen too many stories about people abusing it, and it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. I think it should have been handled differently, that's my opinion, I'm entitled to it, and if I'm a party of one *and I don't think I am, whether anyone else speaks up or not*, then that is okay with me. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I’m having a hard time getting interested in this movie largely because of the trailers. It has nothing to do with what Larson has or has not done. It all looks so much the same. I find myself mentally yawning. Maybe I’ve finally reached superhero burnout. I asked my kiddo (a comic fan) about going and her answer was she’d just read a synopsis before seeing Endgame because she just wanted to see part two (of Infinity War) and get some conclusion. She skipped Antman & the Wasp in the same way and I just got around to seeing it streaming. I still, and have from the beginning, have a problem with Larson’s voice. I can’t figure out what it is exactly but it bugs me. I’m sure I’ll see this eventually but it won’t be on opening weekend and may not be in a theater. 

• Love 1