Type keyword(s) to search

Captain Marvel (2019)

Kromm
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

One of the recurring themes was that Carol Danvers wasn't the "real" Captain Marvel and the "real" Captain Marvel's movie was coming in April and it would blow the MCU movie out of the water.

But to anyone who isn't a fanboy, Carol Danvers = Captain Marvel and Billy Batson = Shazam.  Literally no one who isn't looking for a reason to be angry cares.

• Love 2
(edited)
27 minutes ago, starri said:

But to anyone who isn't a fanboy, Carol Danvers = Captain Marvel and Billy Batson = Shazam.  Literally no one who isn't looking for a reason to be angry cares.

I wasn't looking for a reason to be angry. 

Edited by Morrigan2575
18 hours ago, Kromm said:

The slimy disgusting misogynistic Trolls are STILL insisting that Disney somehow bought most of those tickets themselves.

Yeah right. A billion dollars in tickets.  

If you know any of those silly people, send them this link to educate them:

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

That was a great video (and that guy didn't even like the movie!).

I haven't been seeking out troll opinions lately, but last I saw, they had pretty much resigned themselves to saying, "I don't know why it's gonna make a billion dollars; it's a 'meh' movie." That's just down to personal taste, so whatever.

I saw it again! It was even more fun the second time. Both audiences I saw it with were fairly evenly split, gender-wise (probably more men than women, although not by much) and everyone seemed to enjoy it. Goose eating the Tesseract got the biggest reaction both times, followed by Carol simply blasting Yon-Rogg when he tried to bait her into fighting him sans powers at the end.

• Love 3

I'm not thrilled that DC has had to rebrand the original Captain Marvel as Shazam due to legal wrangling myself, but it would be pointlessly silly to form a grudge against the various Marvel heroes by that name (most of whom have been awesome in their own right) as a result. And as the character is appearing in a DCEU movie, my hopes are more along the lines of "please don't suck!" than "earn more money than The Avengers!"

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, starri said:

I don't think it's as cut and dry as that. Billy Batson as Captain Marvel was one of the most significant characters in the Golden Age of comics, and had a live action tv show for 3 seasons in the 70s. Meanwhile Marvel didn't even get off their asses and bother to give Carol the Captain Marvel name until 2012.

Both characters have interesting and messy publication histories with lots of being horribly used/mismanaged by their respective companies with a heap of shady behavior by both DC and Marvel over the years that lead to the name issues in the first place. I think there are a lot of reasons to care about or be interested in the situation beyond looking for something to justify anger, even if there are a lot of jerks dong just that.

Edited by Perfect Xero
  • Love 1

I think a majority of movie goers know nothing about the comics and the battle between DC and Marvel. They just go by what the movies show. Most of them are also not running out to find the comics either as comic sales continue to decline.

I knew about the Batman TV show, didn't know there was a Captain Marvel TV show and I don't think many others did either. If you asked any random stranger on the street about Superman and Batman they would know who they were. If you asked them about anyone else before all these movies came out you'd most likely get a blank stare. Most people have never heard of Captain Marvel in any incarnation. So most of them don't care how many Captain Marvels there have been through the years or what company invented them. So the only people who can complain are the comic book readers.

• Love 13
(edited)
6 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

I don't think it's as cut and dry as that. Billy Batson as Captain Marvel was one of the most significant characters in the Golden Age of comics, and had a live action tv show for 3 seasons in the 70s. Meanwhile Marvel didn't even get off their asses and bother to give Carol the Captain Marvel name until 2012.

Both characters have interesting and messy publication histories with lots of being horribly used/mismanaged by their respective companies with a heap of shady behavior by both DC and Marvel over the years that lead to the name issues in the first place. I think there are a lot of reasons to care about or be interested in the situation beyond looking for something to justify anger, even if there are a lot of jerks dong just that.

Well no, but Mar-Vell was called Captain Marvel as far back as the late 1960s, then Monica Rambeau and several other Kree held the title, appearing sporadically, in the 1980s,  90s and 00s. So it's not like Marvel just demanded the name for Carol a few years ago. 

DC already sued Fawcett Comics, way back in the 1940s, claiming that their Captain Marvel was a rip off of Superman. They eventually won the case, and prevented Fawcett from ever publishing another Captain Marvel story. So I have little sympathy for DC when, after deciding to license the character in 1970, they found that Marvel already had the name trademarked.

The irony is, if DC had never brought that case, Fawcett might have kept printing Captain Marvel, and the name may never have been available for Marvel to trademark. Although given the near death of superhero comic books in the 1950s, it's far from sure that Fawcett would have kept publishing them.

As far as I'm aware, DC's Captain Marvel is still called Captain Marvel in the comics, but they just can't use the name as the title of any book. For the movie, I presume they're avoiding the name because it would be too confusing to explain to new viewers.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

I don't even recall him being called Captain Marvel in the 70s TV Show. Hell it was the Shazam and Mighty Isis hour. I loved that show. It had Winnebagos and crime fighting librarians!

Shazam looks cute and fun but it also looks like something I can wait for on the movie channels or whatever. I am glad that DC decided to not do EVERYTHING drenched in Grimdark,

Saw Captain Marvel for the second time over the weekend and caught some definite threads I missed in the first viewing. I enjoyed it just as much as the first time and cried just as much when Maria told Carol who she knew her to be.

Also, I desperately hope someone cosplays in the Neon/Rave Carol look when they were playing around with colors on the uniform. I thought it looked cool. Not for ALL the time but that would be fun to go to a house party in.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Well no, but Mar-Vell was called Captain Marvel as far back as the late 1960s, then Monica Rambeau and several other Kree held the title, appearing sporadically, in the 1980s,  90s and 00s. So it's not like Marvel just demanded the name for Carol a few years ago. 

DC already sued Fawcett Comics, way back in the 1940s, claiming that their Captain Marvel was a rip off of Superman. They eventually won the case, and prevented Fawcett from ever publishing another Captain Marvel story. So I have little sympathy for DC when, after deciding to license the character in 1970, they found that Marvel already had the name trademarked.

The irony is, if DC had never brought that case, Fawcett might have kept printing Captain Marvel, and the name may never have been available for Marvel to trademark. Although given the near death of superhero comic books in the 1950s, it's far from sure that Fawcett would have kept publishing them.

As far as I'm aware, DC's Captain Marvel is still called Captain Marvel in the comics, but they just can't use the name as the title of any book. For the movie, I presume they're avoiding the name because it would be too confusing to explain to new viewers.

Oh, I have no sympathy for DC, I mentioned their shady as hell behavior, as a fan of comic history (in particular golden age stuff) there's just a certain sadness to the fact that a character that was once more popular than Superman can't be known by the name he was first published under because it got caught between the two rival giant companies.

Marvel jumped on the name when it became available in, what I think is fair to say, a move done almost entirely for legal rather than creative reasons. They didn't want anyone else to be able to slap the name Marvel on a cover (though they also did similar things with other once popular characters whose rights had lapsed, like Ghost Rider). Marvel was always, for whatever reasons, really resistant to the idea of 'promoting' Carol even though she'd been more popular than Mar-Vell and even had her powers stolen and wrote her off for a long period of time.

For the record, Billy was  indeed called Captain Marvel within the TV show, but it had to be marketed as Shazam because Marvel Comics owned the name for promotional purposes. DC has also converted to calling Billy Shazam within the comics back in 2012, because of the confusion over the name issues.

No one should really be angry over it any of it in 2019, but there's a lot of interesting history and a lot of characters that have been known by the Captain Marvel name (and that's before you get into the Marvelman/Miracleman issues from the UK), so I don't think it's just a simple situation where Carol is the first name that pops into everyone's heads when they think of Captain Marvel, it might be Billy, Mar, Monica or Genis for a lot of people depending on when they first became interested in comics/super heroes.

• Useful 1
(edited)
On 4/1/2019 at 1:46 AM, Kromm said:

The slimy disgusting misogynistic Trolls are STILL insisting that Disney somehow bought most of those tickets themselves.

Yeah right. A billion dollars in tickets.  

They said the same thing about Black Panther. Not only Disney, but apparently Oprah and any rich Black person their racist asses could conjure up bought out cinemas so that poor Black children could see the movie.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 10
(edited)

If that were actually true, my response would be "So?" If tickets have to be bought by each audience members' own money to count, most moviegoers under 18 and about half the adults who see movies on dates have to be disqualified. Hope the ComicsGate gatekeepers like having Infinity War out-grossed at the box office by The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel! (Oops, it stars brown people AND a bunch of women!)

Edited by Bruinsfan
On 4/1/2019 at 5:06 AM, Anduin said:

When I saw it, first showing on a Thursday morning, it was nearly all men waiting outside for the cinema to open. At least 20, though I didn't bother to count. Maybe they wanted to see Brie Larson, or just the next installment of the MCU. Either way, I didn't hear any jeering during the movie. I considered jokingly asking if it was the line for the boycott, but I'm not that outgoing.

The tool these stupid aholes used were photos of empty theaters, combined with unsupported claims that someone at the theater told them the tickets were sold out.

If you really want to see a sewer search the Captain Marvel videos on Youtube.  They changed the search algorithm a bit so that legit news and criticism outlets had search priority and sort first now, but the thousands of foaming at the mouth butthurt fanboys screaming about the film aren't that hard to find, even still.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, Kromm said:

The tool these stupid aholes used were photos of empty theaters, combined with unsupported claims that someone at the theater told them the tickets were sold out.

If you really want to see a sewer search the Captain Marvel videos on Youtube.  They changed the search algorithm a bit so that legit news and criticism outlets had search priority and sort first now, but the thousands of foaming at the mouth butthurt fanboys screaming about the film aren't that hard to find, even still.

No, I really don't want to give them any clicks. I made a few mistakes with TLJ, before realising that I had to be strong and ignore the idiots. My bet, it's some of the same people.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Kromm said:

Honestly, Marvel 'fans' who hate diversity and 'SJW culture' are the dumbest fucks in the entire world. This is a company that based most of its Silver Age success on embracing diversity and counterculture. Hell, the most famous team that Marvel ever created, the X-Men, was an overt and deliberate analogue for oppressed, minority groups. Some of the most famous stories they've ever written have been about the hate that comes from ignorant bigotry.

I've read one account of someone who posted a photo of an empty theatre who, when pressed, admitted that he'd taken the picture 'before the doors opened and the people were allowed in.' So... it was empty before the movie started, and before the people who had paid had arrived. No. Shit.

• Love 16
10 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Hope the ComicsGate gatekeepers like having Infinity War out-grossed at the box office by The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel! (Oops, it stars brown people AND a bunch of women!)

Huh?

• Love 1
(edited)

Here's the Death Battle preview for the Hero Formerly Known as Captain Marvel. The actual "fight" is next week; I don't know whom to pick for the win. Carol has gobs of power and military experience, but Billy has magic that can hurt even Superman.

Disney bought up theaters to boost numbers? It must be nice to believe any delusion. While Captain Marvel might have been unknown to the bulk of the mainstream (re: non-geeks), the MCU did a good job bringing her to the big screen without too much alterations. Basically, she has that in common with the Guardians of the Galaxy.

The idea of Marvel and DC execs diving into piles of money and unable to hear hardcore haters is amusing. Heaven forbid they retaliate? "You know, we were gonna have Kamala Khan briefly pop up in the second Captain Marvel . . . but fuck it and fuck the haters, watch for Ms. Marvel in 2022!"

ETA: Spoiler for the Captain Marvel/Android 18 fight.

Spoiler

I honestly thought Carol would have won. Aside from Goku's two losses to Superman, I don't DBZ has a loss in a Death Battle.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Perfect Xero said:

I don't think it's going to be much of a battle, Shazam isn't going to get close to Captain Marvel at the box office.

I was thinking "Has it passed Wonder Woman?" Turns out that movie "only" grossed $823M globally, and the only DC Comics-based movies to hit $1B and beyond were by Christopher Nolan. Basically, the "DCEU" brand doesn't inspire confidence . . . not as much as MCU.

Potential side fight: Goose vs. Hoppy the Marvel Bunny. Or how about Tawky Tawney? Either way I'd think Goose would be the odds-on favorite.

(edited)

Wonder Woman didn’t do as well internationally - I’m not sure why.  I’ll be curious to see if WW1984 does better.  But yeah, it has a better domestic total (currently).  

Aquaman has made 1.147B currently.  

I can’t see Shazam! doing anywhere in that range though.  It looks like tracking is expecting about a $45 million opening weekend.

Edited by Starfish35
1 hour ago, Starfish35 said:

Wonder Woman didn’t do as well internationally - I’m not sure why.

I remember reading that some countries banned the movie because Gal is Israeli.  I don't know if that was enough to prevent the 1 billion but it's possible.  What WW had was staying power.  It didn't just make all its money during opening weekend but throughout the summer.  People, especially in the US, saw it, loved it, and then saw it again and again. 

Captain Marvel probably won't have that same staying power, if only because Endgame is almost here, but it does have a lot of that same love that WW benefited from and that's awesome.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

Captain Marvel probably won't have that same staying power, if only because Endgame is almost here, but it does have a lot of that same love that WW benefited from and that's awesome.

It can't hurt that the first end credit scene is a direct lead-in to Endgame, since Carol receiving the page and returning from wherever she'd been

Louisiana. Duh.

is what's going to bring her into the mix against Thanos. I don't know if that's the same thing as staying power, but it's a hell of an entrance as far as getting her involved goes.

Spoiling mostly just to be silly, but that's my headcanon and I'm sticking to it.

• Love 2

I just got back from seeing Captain Marvel a second time, and it holds up well--I liked it about the same as the first time I saw it, maybe a little more because this time I was able to notice more details/nuance and appreciate the larger story around Carol's origins. The first time I saw it, I wasn't sure if the Kree had been actively meddling with Carol's mind to suppress her memories, but now I'm 99.9% sure they were. The fake memory of Talos shooting Mar-Vell in front of her (plus Talos' puzzlement about that memory), and Talos' comment on the Skrull ship that "they really did a number on you," points pretty conclusively toward the Kree actively trying to wipe/successfully suppressing Carol's memories. I had forgotten about both. Boo, the Kree just got even eviller.

I was more impressed with Brie Larson this time around; the first time I saw the movie, I thought she was very solid and commanded the screen without having to be flashy or showy and I still feel that way, but this time I was particularly impressed by some of her reaction shots. The scene where Maria and Carol talk alone in the kitchen is a great example and so lovely; it's really Maria's scene so Larson is taking a backseat, and Lashana Lynch absolutely kills it, and Larson is right there with her, silently tearing up as Maria does. That scene is just so genuinely lovely (as is the later scene when they listen to the black box and Carol breaks down outside and Maria is the one who gets through to her--ugh, their relationship was so moving, truly the heart of the movie). In a quiet way, Larson just nailed Carol's character arc, especially the moments where she's trying to be an emotionless Kree soldier but her emotions are pretty much screaming at her. Her flipping the switch between soldier and person, so to speak, was great. I also thought, while underdeveloped, Carol's decision to help the Skrulls tracked better for me emotionally this time around. Though I still want confirmation that she has come back to visit Maria and Monica a whole bunch over the last 25 years. Also, Marvel better find a way to de-age Maria, because I desperately need more Carol and Maria. Carol is so sweet with Monica, but Carol and Maria are just amazeballs.

On the flip side, on second viewing I was less impressed with Jude Law--I thought he was meh before but I've now downgraded him to officially disappointing, he just seemed super disinterested and like he mailed in his performance--and do wonder if the movie might have been better with different directors. I don't think the script was the strongest (it takes too long getting to Louisiana and doesn't spend quite enough time there when it does), but stronger directors might've coaxed more from it, and been able to shoot slightly better action sequences to boot. The movie was really lucky that Larson and Samuel L Jackson had such great buddy chemistry, because their partnership covered some sins. I also was more critical of the CGI for the final fight scene this time around, and wondered if they blew the CGI budget on de-aging SLJ....

I know some people said above that the movie starts to get really great when they get to Louisiana, and that's true, but I think it begins to hum when Carol and Fury partner up in Pancho's Bar. Seeing her memory flashes when she first walks into the bar is I think the moment when Carol becomes hellbent on finding answers at Pegasus for herself, not because it's part of "the mission," and Carol having a partner who gets her, and who lets her be her snarky pain in the ass self, almost visibly takes a weight off her shoulders. Such a great contrast to Yon-Rogg (and I loved even more the implication this time around that she was looking for a Maria substitute in him and never quite finding it). From then on the movie just gets better, and Carol herself becomes stronger and stronger and gets to relax into who she truly is. This movie works great as an origin story for Fury, too; you can easily imagine him growing into the Fury we first really meet in Iron Man 2. Side note: it cracks me up that Maria Hill calls Fury "Nick" sometimes when apparently no one else is allowed to. I headcanon that she does it just to annoy the snot out of him.

I do have a question about the Skrulls in Mar-Vell's lab: namely, how they got there. I couldn't tell if the implication was that Mar-Vell was part of a Kree Underground Railroad and that was the stop that Talos' family and the other Skrulls happened to be at when Mar-Vell got caught, or whether they had deliberately taken refuge on Earth and just happened to be in Mar-Vell's lab when she got caught, or what. Certainly Talos knew they were with Mar-Vell, but it feels like there were many ways he could have found that out.

On the whole, still can't wait for Captain Marvel 2!

• Love 9

"true" Captain Marvel (Shazam)

The character will forever be Captain Marvel to me. Or the Big Red Cheese 😊. And isn't there a Black Adam movie in the works with the Rock? Because you probably can't make a movie with an evil, super-intelligent worm as the villain.

Raaaa!

• Love 1

Don't judge the headline too quickly this is a positive article from Syfy:

Captain Marvel makes the argument for arrogance

Excerpt:

Normally, arrogance isn’t a favored virtue — but when it comes to a girl who has been told to slow down, a woman who has been told she can’t fly, and a hero who has a power-limiting chip that was installed without her permission, arrogance comes to mean something else.

That arrogance is not about being self-obsessed, but self-assured; not thoughtless about others, but aware of oneself; not bombastic, but confident; not controlling, but accepting. Danvers’ arrogance isn’t the machismo arrogance that makes the world a little worse; it’s the opposite. She possesses a kind of radiant arrogance that makes the world a little brighter.

• Love 6
(edited)
On 4/3/2019 at 6:15 PM, Perfect Xero said:

I don't think it's going to be much of a battle, Shazam isn't going to get close to Captain Marvel at the box office.

Will it beat it in sales?  No.  But Shazam is getting almost universal praise.  At the very least it's going to get a really strong opening weekend, although comparatively I'm positive it's airing on FAR less screens than CM did on it's opening weekend.  Plus Shazam in a way hurt it's opening weekend by having that preview day, plus opening on a Thursday, a day which I bet is calculated separately and not counted when they do comparisons to other opening weekends.

My gut instinct is that Shazam won't get near $1 billion, but will easily eventually do $650-700 million... which will be more than enough to ensure a few sequels, since the film cost so little compared to most other Superhero films (even the marketing budget was much smaller).

I'd bet it could do even more if Endgame wasn't going to eat all the audience a few weeks into Shazam's run. It might have been around $800 million, like Wonder Woman eventually shook out to get if that wasn't the case.

Edited by Kromm

Saw it today with my 8 year old and we both had a blast. Brie Larson was really good and her relationship with Fury (only Fury, always Fury) was awesome.

I did wonder though, if Carol had been stomping on the Kree and shutting down their war machine for 20 years or so how is the Kree Empire still a threat to anyone in Guardians of the Galaxy. I mean she destroyed that huge ship by herself in seconds.

I did like the use of Come as you are. Now when I hear that song and think of a Marvel product it will be this not the stupid Defenders.

Mar-vell was cool. Back when I was reading comics the Captain Marvel was Mar-vell's son (Carol at the time was Binary). I really remember enjoying the series, wonder if this Mar-vell has any kids.

On 3/25/2019 at 7:25 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

She was hit with a small amount sjnce it wasn't the Tesseract but, a Hyper Drive, using using the Energy from the Space Stone.

They are not the same powers but, both come from Infinity Stones. Wanda ans Pietro's powers were created by the Mind Stone. Carol got hers from the Space Stone.

Interesting that the stones seem to give people powers that don't really relate to the name of the stone. The Mind Stone made Pietro run really fast and the Space Stone gave Carol crazy energy powers. 

On 3/26/2019 at 5:41 AM, Danny Franks said:

Just thinking about the climax of the movie again, I really appreciated the whole 'you need to master your emotions' beat. Because calling women 'overly emotional' is a very common knock against their capabilities, in all fields (particularly politics), yet men never get called out for that. even when they're deranged and ranting.

So the irony of Yonn Rog shouting angrily at Carol to fight him without letting her emotions get in the way was pretty great.

That was pretty great. Especially since in a situation like that just using your powers to shoot the asshole seems like a much more logical emotion-free choce than getting into a fist fight. I also liked how she used her powers to fire up his space ship, that was cool.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Interesting that the stones seem to give people powers that don't really relate to the name of the stone. The Mind Stone made Pietro run really fast and the Space Stone gave Carol crazy energy powers

Wanda's powers work really well with the mind stone. Carol's work with the Space stone, to an extent, since we saw that being mostly raw energy/power , when weaponized. Pietro's don't line up with the mind stone at all.

2 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Wanda's powers work really well with the mind stone. Carol's work with the Space stone, to an extent, since we saw that being mostly raw energy/power , when weaponized. Pietro's don't line up with the mind stone at all.

The space stone in Avengers opened up the portal. In Infinity War it gave Thanos the ability to open up portals and go wherever he wanted. If if can give Carol raw power, what would the Power Stone do?

Agree about Wanda though that is why I only mentioned Carol and Pietro.

(edited)
4 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

The space stone in Avengers opened up the portal. In Infinity War it gave Thanos the ability to open up portals and go wherever he wanted. If if can give Carol raw power, what would the Power Stone do?

Agree about Wanda though that is why I only mentioned Carol and Pietro.

I was actually just wondering about it because the Power Stone seems more apt for Carol's abilities.

Maybe the stones have some connection to each other so people develop other aspects?

Or MCU is just doing their best to give characters abilities from the comics with the only tools available?

It's fun to think about though

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Plus Shazam in a way hurt it's opening weekend by having that preview day, plus opening on a Thursday, a day which I bet is calculated separately and not counted when they do comparisons to other opening weekends.

Thursday night openings are counted but they are added to the Friday numbers.

49 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Will it beat it in sales?  No.  But Shazam is getting almost universal praise.  At the very least it's going to get a really strong opening weekend, although comparatively I'm positive it's airing on FAR less screens than CM did on it's opening weekend.  Plus Shazam in a way hurt it's opening weekend by having that preview day, plus opening on a Thursday, a day which I bet is calculated separately and not counted when they do comparisons to other opening weekends.

All big movies have showings on Thursday and they are counted into Friday's total for the opening weekend. 

Shazam is another white guy super hero so it doesn't have anything special going for it to the general audience. It already looks to be doing well. However its the overseas audience that counts more towards how much money it makes. Wonder Woman didn't do well overseas that's why it stopped at 800k. 

Captain Marvel had a great showing overseas and continues to make most of its money from them. 

16 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I was actually just wondering about it because the Power Stone seems more apt for Carol's abilities.

Maybe the stones have some connection to each other so people develop other aspects?

Or MCU is just doing their best to give characters abilities from the comics with the only tools available?

It's fun to think about though

Yea the power stone would have worked better but it would have been harder to explain how it got from earth to where it was in GotG. So considering these are made up magic stones I am ok with writing what they had to work with.

Also thinking about the movie last night I realized again that every time they show something that happens pre-Iron Man,  SHIELD comes across as super inept. I mean not only were they infiltrated by Hydra from the start, but there have been at least 5 alien visits to earth that they had no idea about (Ego at least twice, the Ravagers to get Peter, Mar-vell, and then Yon-Rogg when he killed Mar-vell). Two of them involved abductions, but until Fury, no one at SHIELD were aware or thought they should do anything.

Plus one of their founders was assassinated by a HYDRA agent and other than rumours no one even knew he existed. 

I think all the Infinity Stones have a lot of raw power bound up in them, in addition to their special area of influence—the Tesseract powered all those Hydra weapons, the Aether made one of the dark elves strong enough to stomp Thor in a fight, the Mind Stone in the Vision's hands (well, forehead) could fire an energy beam strong enough to disable War Machine's armor with a glancing shot and even damage Ultron's supposedly indestructible vibranium body. Probably the Time and Soul stones can be used to zap energy bolts as well as their more abstract uses.

• Love 3
(edited)
On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 9:05 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

I did wonder though, if Carol had been stomping on the Kree and shutting down their war machine for 20 years or so how is the Kree Empire still a threat to anyone in Guardians of the Galaxy. I mean she destroyed that huge ship by herself in seconds.

Yeah, I kept wondering how Ronan was able to survive for 20 years if Carol had been chasing him.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1

In Guardians the Kree had some kind of peace deal with some planets. Ronan went rogue and was working with Thanos to try to bring the Kree empire back. 

Carol could've taken care of the rest of the Accusers and Ronan escaped. She seemed to want to stop the Kree from destroying and enslaving other planets rather than going after just one of them.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, benteen said:

Yeah, I kept wondering how Ronen was able to survive for 20 years if Carol had been chasing him.

Well, in the words of the Warner Brothers (and Sister): It's a great, big universe and we're all really puny. We're just tiny little specks about the size of Mickey Rooney. It's big and black and inky and we are small and dinky! It's a big universe and we're not!

In all seriousness, though, Carol seemed first interested in helping the Skrulls find a home and possibly to find the other refugees that were scattered about. I would imagine that would take a significant amount of time. While this is happening, she's dealing with Kree coming after them. Then we have the situation where the Nova Empire reached a peace agreement with the Kree and that's when Ronan split from the Kree Empire and allied with Thanos.

So, in that 20 years... Carol helped the Skrulls and *possibly* ended the Kree-Skrull War. POSSIBLY because we really don't know. However, the Kree were either then immediately engaging in war with Xandar and the Nova Empire or fighting them simultaneously. We have no idea if Carol had any influence on that at all. BUT we do know that the Nova-Kree peace resulted in Ronan going rogue and starting to paint himself in the blood of his enemies while allying with Thanos in order to bring back the glory of the Kree Empire. Of course, Ronan died at the end of GotG but I do sometimes wonder what he would have done when he realized Thanos was going to wipe out half of the Kree as well.

• Love 3

I fanwanked that Carol did enough damage to the Kree War Machine that they were forced to sign the Peace Agreement with Xandar. After that Ronan went rogue and aligned with Thanos to destroy Xandar and get the Kree Empire back in power.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I fanwanked that Carol did enough damage to the Kree War Machine that they were forced to sign the Peace Agreement with Xandar. After that Ronan went rogue and aligned with Thanos to destroy Xandar and get the Kree Empire back in power.

It would be cool if they touched on that in what I presume will be a sequel. Because from her speech at the end it sounded like she was going to find a home for those Skrull refugees and then bring the fight right to the Supreme Intelligence's doorstep. So how was it that 19 years later the Kree still had enough of a military where they were just signing a peace treaty with the Nova Empire? How would they be able to fight anyone after that many years of Carol smashing them?

On 4/6/2019 at 3:15 PM, VCRTracking said:

Don't judge the headline too quickly this is a positive article from Syfy:

Captain Marvel makes the argument for arrogance

Excerpt:

From the article:

If you’re one of the many people to see Captain Marvel then you know this scene takes place in Carol Danvers’ childhood memories, a reminder of when she was told to slow down. The implication, of course, is that Danvers should also be more "feminine," that she shouldn’t try to be like her brothers. And even then, as a young child with no powers, just a girl in touch with herself, she knew she was meant for speed.

Aside from the questionable use of the term arrogance this article makes me wonder if (and DISCLAIMER that I've only seen the film once, so I may well be remembering things incorrectly). I'm the only one who came out of the film thinking that Carol's brother telling her to "slow down" heading into a turn was supposed to be an example of good/positive influence/mentoring in the narrative of the film?

I mean, aside from "don't accelerate into a turn" being something that most of us adults would already know from driving (but something that tween Carol probably wouldn't) he's proven right almost instantly when she mistakes it for a challenge and crashes.

It's fundamentally different than her father telling her that she doesn't belong or Yon Rogg and the SI's brow beating her for using her powers at all rather than playing by their rules because when her brother tells her to slow down he actually is teaching her how to better use and control the speed/power at her disposal.

Their relationship is also depicted as positive one in a later flashback with the two shown smiling and laughing together (I believe that his was during the montage where Carol overcomes the Kree inhibitor).

When Carol first unlocks her powers she's shown flying around but losing control each time she tries to stop or turn. Then Carol realizes that she is going too fast, reigns herself in a touch, and goes to town on the Kree. Her brother's advice from her memories pretty much coming back to help her in the present, except this time she actually does slow down a bit.

In short: I thought that being taught to slow down a bit to gain more control actually was supposed to be a good thing for Carol and don't really get the article equating it to her being told to be "more feminine" or to not be like her brothers. If anything it was pretty much the opposite of that.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

I only saw it once, too, @Perfect Xero, so maybe I'm mashing scenes together, but for some reason I remember her complaining to a parent that they always let her brother do it and she wanted to do it, too. Which, as you pointed out in the end, she needs to learn how to use her powers. But I think the flashbacks were to show she was prevented from even trying to learn to do things. 

I also think the flashbacks were also supposed to show that yes, you will fail at first. The important thing is learning from that and trying again. To not be allowed to fail and learn was holding her back. And thinking about it, how fearless is she? How many people don't try something for fear of failure? Perhaps that's what the author of the article is conflating arrogance with? Carol was fearless and just plowed ahead. Never mindlessly but determined to do something even if she failed at first. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, frenchtoast said:

But I think the flashbacks were to show she was prevented from even trying to learn to do things. 

Haven't read the article, and also have only seen the movie once... but it felt to me like this was about how the plethora of mindlessly accepted gender 'norms' limit everyone, but especially limit women.  Everyone learns differently, everyone has a different process that works for them.  Women are often derided for being too "headstrong" or aggressive and men are derided for being too cautious or "weak".  Women are often held back in order to 'protect' them, while men are often dismissed if they are more thoughtful and circumspect in how they approach things.  Basically... gender norms suck, and we as a society start inflicting them as soon as a child is born.  

• Love 6

This article talks about the styling choices for Captain Marvel in the Endgame trailers we've seen. I hadn't really put much thought into the fact that this is actually the 2nd film in which Brie has played Captain Marvel - they filmed Endgame first. This movie is often described as an origin story without prior introduction of a character when looking at the box office and the various ways it fits into the rankings in re: how many $$ were taken in. This is true, but it's also interesting that we'll see a whole movie of the actress evolving into the character after we see a whole movie of her being the character.

Maria said that Carol didn't get along with her family and that her and Monica were her family.

While we did see a nice moment with the brother, he could've turned more like their dad as they got older. He seemed like the type that wanted his boys to act like boys and his daughter to act like a girl. Carol wanted to prove she could do everything her brothers could do. 

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Maria said that Carol didn't get along with her family and that her and Monica were her family.

While we did see a nice moment with the brother, he could've turned more like their dad as they got older. He seemed like the type that wanted his boys to act like boys and his daughter to act like a girl. Carol wanted to prove she could do everything her brothers could do. 

I was waiting (still am) for a dead brother reveal. Cause, the sibling relationship did seem to be a good one

• Love 2