Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E09: Food Holiday Fray

• Start Topic

"Beware of the craziness." Probably the most useful thing Damiano or anyone on FNS has ever said.

Tregaye steamrolled over her husband in the first live stream challenge, TWO of her live stream questions were "what is fleek?" and "what is boo?" AND Tregaye basically gave a rude-ass answer to the question. None of that was brought up in her judging. I agree with Ana's assessment that for the right audience Tregaye would be good, but I don't think I could stand to watch a show of her.

Damiamo, Jernard and Tregaye are now being bullies to Ana's face. Good look. [/sarcasm]

• Love 13

I know Tregaye is going to win this thing, and Bobby and Giada seem so enamored with her "popping on fleek boo" personality that they're probably going to try and keep it for her show.  Note to Food Network...no one I know will EVER watch that!!  it's exhausting watching and listening to her for her portion of this show, but a full weekly episode of all that nonsense is going to wear thin quickly.  I just can't stand the thought of her being part of the "Food Network Family" for years to come.

But I don't guess I care too much.  I haven't liked the majority of the winners of this show anyway!

• Love 20

Finally Ana is gone. I loved her daughter, though. Maybe she should have gone on the show instead.

Can't wait to see which of these unappealing, uninteresting finalists wins...oh wait. Yes I can.

• Love 9

I am just glad I have not watched every episode.  Tregayeis exhausting, but I think I would like her food.  It is like she thinks she is on one of the other reality shows.  How old is she supposed to be? I honestly don't think that even people in their 20's would want to watch a cooking show with all of her "fleekisms" included.  She needs to tone down the persona, but in the episodes that I have watched the judges have encouraged this instead of having her tone it down as they told Jernard.  I think her name was Joy?  That is who I would have wanted to watch. 

In some ways (and not size) Jernard reminds me of a different version of Reggie Southfield, Southland, something that was on the season and lost to Guy.  He was very quiet and laid back.   I think Jenard can cook, but sometimes I think he would lull me to sleep.  Domiano I can't understand and I don't know if they need another Italian cook. 

Why was Tia crying? I missed Bobby crying?? Over what? 

• Love 2

OMG I couldn't stand Tregaye tonight.  You guys are right.  She IS exhausting.  Just when I was warming up to Ana..poof..she's gone.  Damiano is exhausting too.  I guess I have to root for Jernard.  I don't mind.  I may have been the only person rooting for Reggie vs. Guy annoying Fieri.

• Love 8

Tregaye got on my last nerve tonight.  She reminds me of Gina Neeley.  I was sorry to see Ana go.  She was starting to grow on me.  I didn't like how the others were talking about her.  It seems like this year's contestants are more mean spirited than previous years.

• Love 11

So far we're all thinking alike.  I mentioned to Mr. Snarkle that annoying Tregaye reminded me of Gina Neely and I too rooted for Reggie Southerland in Guy's season.  And believe it or not, I too began to warm up to Ana just before she got sent home.  Looking at her next to the others left, she was probably the better choice among them.  Although Damiano cracks me up, I can't see him winning this either. 

• Love 6
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

Tregaye got on my last nerve tonight.  She reminds me of Gina Neeley.  I was sorry to see Ana go.  She was starting to grow on me.  I didn't like how the others were talking about her.  It seems like this year's contestants are more mean spirited than previous years.

Well she reminds me of Paula Dean after she went off the deep end with her exaggerated southern accent and ridiculous mannerisms that weren't present when she first started.  What's different is Tregaye is already off the deep end and has no place to go in the future.

I was warming up to Ana also.  I would watch Damiano over any of them.

Edited by parrotfeathers
  • Love 6

I am SO over Tregaye, with "yasss" and "fleek" and her shoes and way too much fleek. Tears? Seriously?

Amazing how much better Jernard was when he ditched the Love Chef schtick. But the food wasn't good? 

If Damiano can slow down, he might do well.

Ana did well tonight. I'm torn as to whether I like her top or not. WTF Bobby, pickling isn't a big Cuban thing! They don't *make* pickled stuff, they put pickles on a Cuban sandwich. And I think Giada's jealous of Ana. (When did I start defending Ana? IDEK).

Geeahhda's dress tonight....good god woman, you're gonna lose food down that cleavage.

I'm gonna snark the makeup tonight - WHO is putting makeup on these women? Alternatively, who is NOT telling them to use a lighter hand? Ana had a clown's mask on. Giada's glitter eyeshadow was disco-worthy. For a change, Tregaye looked almost restrained. 

Bye bye Ana, for now.

• Love 5

Ana really grew on me and I was, to my surprise, rooting for her.  Tregaye?  That woman is so irritating I can't imagine sitting through a whole show of hers.  Poppin' and fleek and boo - give it a rest, lady.  As for Jernard and Damiano, whatever.  I don't care.  

• Love 5

It is clear to me from the comments that came in during the live demo that other people have an issue with the popping and fleeking, etc.  She also did not know how to handle it. 

• Love 7
54 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

Tregayeis exhausting, but I think I would like her food.  It is like she thinks she is on one of the other reality shows.  How old is she supposed to be? I honestly don't think that even people in their 20's would want to watch a cooking show with all of her "fleekisms" included.  

This is a good point. Exactly who do they think is going to watch "Poppin' Whimsical Cookin' With Sassy Tregaye"?  She's useless, unless they're trying to appeal to a younger demographic...in which case, good luck because Tregaye ain't it.  Made me happy when Ana basically told her that her "poppin'" and "fleek" were just stupid.  

Personally I prefer a low-key host - Ina, Trisha, and yes...even Ree Drummond - than some frantic, trying-too-hard wannabe Jackee.

I wasn't crazy about Damiano to begin with and I like him less and less with every episode, tonight's included. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

I don't like any of these people. Usually there is at least one by this point. It happens sometimes with reality shows, but it's still disappointing. 

Yeah, I think I like every one of the eliminated contestants better than the ones still in the contest. 

• Love 6

Well Ana goes to Salvation right?  Maybe she can still win and the mother/daughter show can still happen. Is Joy still in Salvation? I am actually not even sure she is the one that I liked...no one is really standing out to me right now. I can't even remember who else was eliminated except Erin and Yaku. 

• Love 1

I know Tregaye is going to win this thing, and Bobby and Giada seem so enamored with her "popping on fleek boo" personality that they're probably going to try and keep it for her show.  Note to Food Network...no one I know will EVER watch that!!  it's exhausting watching and listening to her for her portion of this show, but a full weekly episode of all that nonsense is going to wear thin quickly.  I just can't stand the thought of her being part of the "Food Network Family" for years to come.

I saw her and some family members on Guys' Grocery show a month or two ago. She was the cook in a family version of the show. Cooked reasonable food, as I recall, and wasn't nearly as "Tregaye" as she is here. Same lavender lipstick, though.  Blech.  I understand needing to have an identifiable personality to separate oneself from the pack, but criminy.  She may be around, win or lose. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Wait -  Ana gets dinged for making Irish food that doesn't have enough flavor?  it's too bland? 
As someone who grew up eating Irish food, I would say if she made BLAND Irish food - then it's authentic. 

There's something about Jernard, the way he talks, he emphasizes the wrong words, he has an odd mannerism,  I just don't like him.   Can't tolerate Tregaye, and Damiano is coming off as a pompous ass.   Why am I watching?

Edited by backformore
  • Love 14
(edited)

"Well since i love-a Mexican-a food-a.."  -Damiano 

I wonder if he wins,that FN will give him a show centering on both Mexican or Italian food,or perhaps maybe fusion? Would also be interesting if he were to appear on Extra Virgin(Debi Mazar and her husband Gabriele's show on Cooking Channel)

Tregaye's New Years Eve presentation came off almost like a SNL skit..

Edited by TDT
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, TDT said:

Tregaye's New Years Eve presentation came off almost like a SNL skit..

As further proof of how low (and cheap) the Food Network has gotten, those "parties" were pathetic.  They can't afford to pay more people to make it seem like an actual party?  Surely there must have been some random cameramen or sound engineers on break they could have corralled.  

The two hosts of The Littlest Food Network Star or whatever the hell that show is named annoyed me no end.  Mostly because the female shrieked with delight every time Miss T said 'on fleek'.  Um...yeah...she's so saucy and clever!

• Love 14

I love Donal Skehan.  I follow him on YouTube.  He used to be in a pretty successful boy band before he turned his hand to cooking.

"National Peach Ice Cream Day" is July 17, today.  So they lied, if they were trying to claim that it was the day they shot the show.

Ana could have sliced her churros and they wouldn't have looked so ugly. She made pretzel churros at home? Her daughter would be a better person for a show.

Where were these online viewers watching the show?

It was funny how Damiano's brother went so blank on camera.

Is Gernard's wife the mother of all nine of his kids?

Tregaye's husband looked like he was afraid of her. Can't stand her, and she spends to much time fleeking and not enough cooking.  Funny that they gave Tregaye a pass for her husband but not Damiano.

Damiano loves Mexican food, but didn't know what an enchilada was?

All of the contestants were very good at explaining to the people at their parties what they wanted them to do.  I was impressed.

"I never felt so good before in this competition."  And then she's out.

• Love 7

I always wonder how much of what we see from the contestants is genuine. In Tregaye's case, I get the feeling that the show told her that they wanted "more" and "bigger" so Tregaye turned the dial up to twelve.

Which is too bad, because I might have liked her had she turned her personality down to an eight, or even ten.

• Love 8
(edited)

Tregaye is in her 30s and she acts like a teenager on speed, a very self-absorbed teenager.  I wouldn't watch her for 5 minutes.  Just tolerating her for short periods on FNS is bad enough.  I don't really dislike Jernard but I've never figured out exactly what "love chef" is supposed to mean and I can't quite forgive him for his behavior last week.  That leaves Damiano who is arrogant and tends to be whiny but I prefer him to the other two.  His accent doesn't bother me and he can cook.

The only two I've actually liked this season are Yaku and Monterey and Monterey is just too hyper and scattered.  So I'd like to see Yaku come back from Star Salvation and win.

Edited by mlp
  • Love 7

I think Ana on this show ultimately gave the show a bitchy edge...just so much whiny cliquey crap that paints all the contestants in a bad light.  Just think of how charming Damiano could have been if we saw him edited correctly on a food show with no eye rolling and dismissive comments.  And a calm Tregaye with limited popping and fleeking.  Or the cool and smooth version of Jernard that is engaging and funny...not trying so hard with the hypersexualized comments.

And speaking of editing, last week it seemed like Damiano was very Mexican food challenged..."soa many a chilis a I can't a remember them a all a wassa hatcha chiliya?!"  And this week he has a story of how he became a mole expert?   Mamma Mia.

• Love 9

Tregaye makes me cringe.  I can barely sit through one of her 60-second fleek/boo presentations (and only do that because I need to be constantly reminded of how grating she is) let alone an entire program.  I hate being yelled at like she's auditioning for an overnight infomercial.  No wonder her boo had nothing to say.  He probably hasn't been able to get a word in edgewise for a decade.

Why is Damiano wearing a Cinnabon on top of his head?

Pretty slim pickings this season.  Anyone from Salvation will be welcome back.

• Love 13

I know we touched on this the last couple of weeks about this shows rapidly waning budget but those sets.....gads those sets!!!!!  So we went down to the crappy party store in town and bought foiled holiday crap, balloons and plastics banners?  OMG the horror.  The shame.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, catrice2 said:

It is clear to me from the comments that came in during the live demo that other people have an issue with the popping and fleeking, etc.  She also did not know how to handle it. 

Those comments were from producers, and the goal seems to be distracting the person above all else.

3 hours ago, catrice2 said:

Oh gosh, I forgot about the Salvation aspect. Who is still in it? Will it be someone better than the 3 we have left? 

Almost certainly, but we don't talk about it here. Salvation has its own thread.

• Love 2

If the Food Network Star Junior winner does a show that teaches other kids about cooking, new flavors, or vegetables, I won't think it's a terrible idea. Otherwise meh. 

I have a hard time accepting that Damiano's mole was super wonderful. Good mole takes awhile - so I imagine it was on the way to great.  I did appreciate him pointing out that he learned to make it from his worker's mother. 

• Love 2
(edited)
14 hours ago, Albino said:

Exactly who do they think is going to watch "Poppin' Whimsical Cookin' With Sassy Tregaye"?  She's useless, unless they're trying to appeal to a younger demographic...in which case, good luck because Tregaye ain't it.  Made me happy when Ana basically told her that her "poppin'" and "fleek" were just stupid.

Anna was right when she said that Tregaye might appeal to a certain audience, but I think it's a very small one. It certainly doesn't include men, and I wonder if she would even appeal to African-American women, who I'm guessing might find her act demeaning.

Anna was also right that Tregaye has no culinary POV, which is an advantage, because it allows her to cook whatever she wants. Anna got tripped up tonight because she was the only one who had to try to bring her culinary POV to a different kind of cuisine. And she was right that Jennard, after giving himself Mardi Gras, should've nailed the food.

So Anna finally nails a presentation but gets sent home for her food, when all season long she's made great food and struggled with presentation. It seems that they should've cut her some slack for one week with less than stellar food, especially as she had the most difficult challenge.

It occurred to me tonight that out of the four finalists, Anna is the only one whose speech I never have trouble understanding.

Why does every guest judge think that Tregaye's fleekin and poppin shtick is hilarious? I've waited all season for one of them to finally say "what the hell is that?" If Tregaye is the chosen one, then the producers are probably telling them how to respond. Or maybe they don't regularly watch this show and so aren't tired of it like the rest of us. Or maybe FN has really gotten that stupid.

Someone mentioned Gina Neely, and it occurred to me that The Neelys kind of already did Jennard's chef of love show, with all their snuggling and veiled hints about cooking leading into the bedroom.

I felt sorry for Tregaye's husband. Watching her on TV is exhausting, so I can only imagine what it's like living with her.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 11
30 minutes ago, Pallida said:

If the Food Network Star Junior winner does a show that teaches other kids about cooking, new flavors, or vegetables, I won't think it's a terrible idea. Otherwise meh. 

I have a hard time accepting that Damiano's mole was super wonderful. Good mole takes awhile - so I imagine it was on the way to great.  I did appreciate him pointing out that he learned to make it from his worker's mother. 

I know that I'm often pleasantly surprised by the shows with kids, like Chopped kids. They're frequently so much nicer than the adults.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

Did I wake up from a bad dream or did I hear that we're now going to have "Food Network Star Junior"?  Just shoot me now....

No, we both had the same nightmare. GGG was kids right before this show aired. I am so tired of seeing kids on food competition shows. Unless the prize is a full ride scholarship to the CIA, please keep them off my TV.

My boyfriend had to suffer through this show with me, and his comments were interesting:

Tregaye: "HA, she's funny! But she comes across as someone who'd beat your ass if you didn't love her food. But her food looks pretty good so I'd probably watch a show."

Damiano: "He might have the first cooking show with subtitles because I can't understand half of what he says."

Jennard: "Man.... he's a bad stereotype of someone who can't speak proper English grammar, he's butchering words instead of meat."

Ana: "Ever have someone in your past that you had a relationship with, that went really bad, and you see someone who reminds you of that person and you can't stand to look at them? That's her."

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

Did I wake up from a bad dream or did I hear that we're now going to have "Food Network Star Junior"?  Just shoot me now....

I guess this is why there wont be anymore "Rachael Ray Kids Cook-Off" series of shows..this must be its official replacement

• Love 1
5 hours ago, backformore said:

Wait -  Ana gets dinged for making Irish food that doesn't have enough flavor?  it's too bland? 
As someone who grew up eating Irish food, I would say if she made BLAND Irish food - then it's authentic. 

Exactly.  She makes good food, good food, good food, then she finally does well with her presentation and they kick her to the curb because her St. Patrick's Day fare was BLAND?!?  Irish food would say Shepherd's Pie with a picadillo base and corned beef empanadas were Two Wild & Crazy Guys!!

Sorry, Ana.  You finally mustered up a little viewer support and ker-ash.

Wow, Jernard must've been thoroughly chastened last week.  I was cringing when he was fashioning that giant (salty) ball, but nary a wink from the Lo-o-ove Chef.

• Love 2

My take on this episode...

I guess I am in the minority regarding Tregaye.  I know she is over the top right now but I also feel that will change once she has a show.  Right now, she is just trying to win and she is giving them what they asked for.  She makes great food and she can hold her own in most situations.  She also knows what to correct when she make a misstep.

Ana I must say I was glad to see go.  She was long overdue and she was way too inconsistant and also a bit arrogant.  Her food didn't always live up to her hype

I really loved Janard's presentations and especially how he interacted with his wife.  It was a softer side of him that I could relate to.  Sad that his food in the main challenge did not even come close to expectations.  I knew when he put worstershire sauce in his gumbo (a fierce no-no) it was going to backfire on him.  Glad he wasn't eliminated, tho.

Damiano was just a little too rushed and excited in the first challenge.  I still didn't quite understand what he was saying in the main challenge but he is so good to look at!!

• Love 3

Thank heavens mean girl Ana is gone.  Did you know she says she is Cuban?  However, has anyone ever found out if she was born there?  If she wasn't, then she is not Cuban, she is an American of Cuban descent.  I loved that she was given St Patrick's Day.  She her snotty behavior about it was funny in a way.  Thankfully, her lack of performance in that segment is what sent her packing.

I had to laugh that Damiano claims to love - a - Mexican food when earlier he was horrified that he had to make enchiladas.

Tregaye is so over the top it's annoying. And I don't get it because in the first few episodes they told her to tone it down but suddenly they guffaw at every little thing. 

At this point I'm rooting for Damiano. He is the most well-rounded chef and has made great food. I also find his TH's so funny. Last night when he pointed out that she can say fleek and it's apparently a word but his word he made up isn't. So great.

• Love 7
(edited)

I want to eat Ana and Monterey's food.  

I would watch Ana's show; I want to learn what she knows and I like her laid back style and dry wit.  The only Cuban food I have had is from the small restaurants in FL that serve the ubiquitous sandwich and overly salty common Cuban fare.  I would check out Monterey's recipes online.  

I have no clue what FN is looking for so it is hard to guess who will win.  

I will eliminate Damiano, you cannot understand him and they don't need another Italian chef. 

Tregue might be a contender, not for a stand and stir, but a personality tasting food from little known restaurants in major cities.  ??  Something anyway. 

Gernard does not speak clearly enough to pull it off. 

I think Ana will return from Salvation Kitchen (no spoiler, they left it hanging) and I can see her winning.  There is no upscale Cuban food on the network.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3