Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E09: Food Holiday Fray

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Christina said:

This conversation reminded me of what I thought was funny in his talking head where he misspoke a word, and after being told that it wasn't a word, made a comment about people saying fleek and bopping so he could say his misspoke word. He has been just as dismissive of his teammates as the rest of them, but that came across as joking and funny to me. I also knew what he was trying to say when he said it, but don't remember the word now. 

I loved him for this.

Tregay is a nogo for me.  She is just a cartoon at this point and I have never been a big fan of cartoons.

• Love 5

Ana finally catches up and that's when they send her packing? 

I don't think they come any more annoying than Tregaye. I would never watch her show. The 60 second presentation is too long for me. 

I would like to have more opinions on this episode, but my cable keeps freezing. 

• Love 2

If anyone thinks the judges don't encourage racial stereotypes, you don't have to go back much further than Giada telling Martita she was the Fiery Latina. Every. Freaking. Episode. She and Bobby are so full of themselves they can't see it when they do it.

• Love 10

At the start of this episode, I looked at the four sad sacks they call finalists, and told my wife that I would not watch a single one of these people on a show. 

Actually, we all know that whoever wins is really going to be nothing more than the occasional judge on Triple G anyways.

Damiano is still too arrogant towards the others, and incomprehensible when speaking on camera. Between his accent and the speed at which he speaks I can barely make out a couple of words here and there, and I grew up with relatives that were off the boat Italians, and could understand them without a problem.

Tregaye is still playing up the sitcom black stereotype, whether it is because the producers pushed it on her or she embraced it herself, it is still annoying, and like it or not, as Ana said, it really only does appeal to a small demographic. 

Jarrod definitely played down Isaac Hayes Love Chef this week, and seemed very funny and enjoyable on his camera party. I don't really care if Gerards food wasn't just exactly perfect, since it is not like he is going to be cooking for the most part as a guest celebrity judge should he win. Bernard seems the most natural and comfortable in front of a camera, but his whole love schtick is cringeworthy when he uses that character and when he continues to bring up his large brood of kids.This is supposedly a show about finding a TV star, not necessarily the best cook. 

Ana, oh Ana. She really did it this week. Between her condescending snark towards the others, she managed a few insulting comments, even if one was partially accurate. Everyone has commented on the comment directed at Tregaye, which did come across to my wife and me as saying only certain blacks would watch her show, fair or not. I think it is partially true, that only a small demographic that finds inner city slang an appropriate method of speaking on TV would watch that type of personality, but I think it is more young people than just black. I do think her intent was to insinuate only urban blacks would watch her though. Everyone seems to have missed the other insult, though. When her daughter was intoduced, she called her an "Irish Twin", because she was born 11 months after her sister. I didn't realize the Irish were the only ones that were pushing out kids at a rapid rate. In fact, it would seem to me that maybe she should ask her fellow castmate, the famous Irishman Jernard. She also pretty much dismissed St Patrick's Day, and made a few Cuban dishes, and a mojito. She is a one trick chef, and the only reason she did somewhat decent on camera is due to her daughter pushing her to open up. They should have canned Ana on the spot, and hired the daughter to replace her. The daughter showed more comfort in front of the camera in her debut than her mother after multiple episodes. She is miserable when on camera, condescending to the others, and looks like she needs a good scrubbing. I can't believe she lasted as long as she did. Well, actually, I can, as Bobby is a pig when it comes to floozies. 

We can only hope that one of the recycled losers comes back and trounces this sorry group of finalists to be the next judge on GGG.

Finally, as others have noted, they went all out on the budget for this show. I'll bet they even spent a whole $50 on the party supplies at the Dollar Store. My, how this show, and the network, has fallen. 

Next week, the finalists will serve dinner at the local soup kitchen to a group of drunken stumblebums.

• Love 4

Ya know, initially, Ana was the one I just couldn't like, wouldn't like, didn't like. She seemed to lack personality - initially. But, much to my surprise and utter shock, something happened and she was the ONE I actually did like. I didn't feel like she was "on" or creating any type of persona, rather she was just being HERSELF. Not a character of what FN is apparently trying to develop with those other hoo-has! Suffice it to say, Ana really did grow on me. I never found her any more mean spirited than the other morons who were talking badly about her and were condescending about her personality AND her presentations. I liked watching her grow to the point she gained a certain level of confidence. Being in front of a camera does take some getting used to. So, for me, I think I realized that Ana was just - Ana.......no fleeking, no love chef , no self created dialect of Italian. She does not seem to be creating an alter-ego that is on "uppers". Seeing her with her daughter presented her an opportunity to show that she is human. FN has enough of the assholes (talking to you G. Zakarian) and super amped idiots that I have no desire to watch (Katie Lee, Sunny Anderson)  who I just can not stand to watch. The repulsive level of arrogance and over the top shouting and behavior is revolting and a turn off. To me, Ana is the  just the right recipe of a "REAL" person with 1/3 c of confidence, 3 Tablespoons of bitchiness, a dash of irritability, 1/2c of potential. Mix and bake for the required time and Voila..........I think you get an actual person who can cook and be real. Now that, to me, is a reason to watch a food network star be made....... 

• Love 15
(edited)
6 hours ago, Fig Newton said:

To me, Ana is the  just the right recipe of a "REAL" person with 1/3 c of confidence, 3 Tablespoons of bitchiness, a dash of irritability, 1/2c of potential. Mix and bake for the required time and Voila..........I think you get an actual person who can cook and be real. Now that, to me, is a reason to watch a food network star be made....... 

Agree to the nth degree with everything you said. Early on Anna said she was going to be who she is, and sink or swim on her own terms, rather than reinvent herself as some over-the-top character to please the judges. I've watched this show since it started, and in the first few years it was so much better. Over the past few seasons I've seen a nasty kind of arrogance develop in the judges. It's like "if you really want a job on FN, show us how much by jumping through hoops and making a fool of yourself for our amusement." Maybe that happened because after so many seasons Bobby and Giada are bored to tears with this shit, and need to do something to amuse themselves.

Whatever the reason, it's made this show very unpleasant to watch, especially this year, with the way Tregaye and Jernard have elicited howls of stupid laughter from the judges with their stereotyped behavior. Of the African Americans contestants this year who was the one who got the early boot? Yaku, who they clearly considered boring because he was a quiet, dignified individual. Like Anna, he was being himself.

You can say that he was too quiet and reserved to be a TV host. Maybe that's true. But I don't believe that everyone wants to see the kind of cartoonish, loud, over-the-top enthusiastic personality that is coming to dominate the network. Can we at least have some balance?

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 7

Tregaye got her marching orders in the very first episode- her first take of the presentation was poppin on fleek, but she got much more prepared and professional for the "real" presentation, and she caught flak for that. What happened to fun Tregaye, etc.

• Love 1

Tregaye and Jernard have elicited howls of stupid laughter from the judges with their stereotyped behavior.

I agree with you about the judges response to Tregaye and Jernard. I'm used to hearing and seeing this type of behavior occasionally but the judges crack up like its so funny and unique and it's just strange. It's almost like they becomes clowns to them, always doing the "black thing" to make them laugh. I dont like that at all. Tregaye needs to dial back the hand gestures and words some people might not understand then go eat a slice of humble pie before she has any kind of show.

I caught on late in the series but did take to the both of them easily, because I thought they were being real...but after this episode, its become too much and I honestly can't see them with a real respected show on the network (mainly Tregaye). If i had to choose someone to win, it would probably be Jernard. I think he has a good presence and mind for his audience and the food is something I'd like. He just needs to watch some of the things he says as not to come off to sexual or cheesy. 

Damiano......I was so convinced that his accent was fake until his brother showed up, but then again his brother didnt say much. I just dislike his Borat-style Italian accent, it just has this inauthentic sound and the way he treats everyone as if he's just better and knows more than them, makes me dislike him much more. Giada's favoritism and huge smile towards him doesnt help either.

• Love 4
On 7/18/2016 at 7:49 AM, smiley13 said:

Thank heavens mean girl Ana is gone.  Did you know she says she is Cuban?  However, has anyone ever found out if she was born there?  If she wasn't, then she is not Cuban, she is an American of Cuban descent.  I loved that she was given St Patrick's Day.  She her snotty behavior about it was funny in a way.  Thankfully, her lack of performance in that segment is what sent her packing.

Eh, I think its Ana's prerogative to call herself Cuban regardless of whether or not she was born in Cuba. I won't speak for all minorities but I'll speak for myself and people of my situation in my social circle -- in my experience, if you're the first generation of your family born in America and you're a minority, often people that think they might share your ancestry will ask you where you're from.  And if you say "America," they'll respond, "Yea, but where are you from?" Whether or not that question is offensive, who knows, but it's our reality. 

And I identify with my parents' country (as well as American), because in our household I grew up in that culture, honoring those traditions, eating that food, speaking that language. Heck, I didn't understand I was American until I went to school!  So if Ana does not in fact own a Cuban passport, I understand why she still says she's Cuban.

Anyway sorry for boring everyone! Let me get back on topic to say I've been team Tregaye from the beginning, because early on I found her talking heads to be very astute (e.g., that Martita was giving the same presentation in every challenge). However, a couple episodes ago I started understanding what most of you were saying about this schticky stereotypical character she's created. Something deep inside of me cringes at the judges' over-the-top laughter at Tregaye's antics because it makes me think of minstrel shows circa the 1800's, if you get my drift. 

I think if Tregaye retired "fleek, yaaas, poppin'" etc, she'd be wonderful to watch, but for the past few episodes I've been a bit uncomfortable. 

Also came here to ask why Bobby and Giada haven't been as harsh on contestants' points of view as they have in past seasons? People used to go home over not having a strong brand and now there are 3 people left that have weak or undefined points of view. 

Maybe after Eddie last season they're implicitly admitting that the contestant's own point of view hardly matters to the network :/

• Love 7
(edited)
On 7/18/2016 at 4:14 PM, catrice2 said:

I do feel like she was dismissive about Irish food. She didn't really embrace that part of the challenge.

To be fair, most Irish (-Americans, at least) are dismissive about Irish food.  St. Patrick's Day as a "food holiday"?  Not in my Irish heritage.  It's about parades and alcohol, punctuated by bagpipes.

The "food holidays" were sort of ridiculous.  St. Patrick's Day?  Cinco de Mayo?  (OK, not my heritage, but from what I've experienced around here there's as much a bar component as a restaurant one).  Mardis Gras, again, an alcohol-fueled parade celebration.  And while I understand there is a food component to all of these holidays, it's certainly not universa, and I don't think anyone sits down to a holiday dinner for any of these holidays.

New's Year's Eve?  Again, not sitting down for a dinner, but there's the whole appetizer aspect.  Still, a holiday more associated with booze and revelry than food.

On 7/18/2016 at 6:56 PM, PRgal said:

Her comments about international foods - especially international foods common in the US (e.g. pad Thai - even though the pad Thai we often see here looks NOTHING like pad Thai in Thailand) made me think of the "ignorant southern mom" stereotype. 

Absolutely.  I think she even pronounced it "Pad??  Thigh??"  Which, come on, it's United States 2016.  I think we've all been introduced to "Thai", whether we like it or not.  My problem with Joy is that she seemed to put on the whole "we don't like" thing.  I think she knew perfectly well what pad Thai was.  And certainly how it was pronounced.

I am sorry to say (or maybe not) that I missed most of Jernard's second-half presentation.  Because I kept shrieking at my husband, "What the F*$K is Giada wearing??  What is she wearing??"  Seriously, that dress must have come with a cat-o-nine-tails attached.  If it was a dress and not a corset.  We never did see, did we?  Yikes, woman!  Keep it in the bedroom where it belongs.

Edited by Aquarius
  • Love 5
On July 18, 2016 at 1:23 PM, Gregg247 said:

I don't mind Tregaye, but I STILL don't know what fleek is, and I haven't been able to figure it out by listening to her use it in a sentence.  What is fleek?!?!?  Explain it, or get off of my TV!

When are the Star Salvation results going to enter into this competition.  They're down to 3 finalists.  It doesn't seem quite fair to bring someone else back in at this late date.  They should have cut this off after the first 4-5 eliminations.

The woman who replaced Bob Tushman (who I always liked on this show) is the "genius" responsible for Chopped Junior, Food Network Star for Kids, BBQ Kids, and probably several others.  I sense a pattern here...

I just learned yesterday Bob T is gone.  And he hired the woman who took his place.

16 hours ago, MajorWoody said:

Jarrod definitely played down Isaac Hayes Love Chef this week, and seemed very funny and enjoyable on his camera party. I don't really care if Gerards food wasn't just exactly perfect, since it is not like he is going to be cooking for the most part as a guest celebrity judge should he win. Bernard seems the most natural and comfortable in front of a camera, but his whole love schtick is cringeworthy when he uses that character and when he continues to bring up his large brood of kids.This is supposedly a show about finding a TV star, not necessarily the best cook. 

I see what you did there.  LOL.

Did Ana say cuban flavors are a push up bra for food?  I resent her thinking my food is saggy....my food is quite perky thank you very much.

• Love 5

From perky Cuban food to fleek to Giada's cleavage to HUH?  What's with this show anymore???  It started out as the FN's  big new hit and has now slid into a giant sinkhole of mediocrity and corniness.  I want Reggie!  I ALWAYS wanted Reggie.  Lord knows, if the FN ever needed Reggie, it's now!  I see no hope in the current lineup of contestants and none really  in the cast-offs. 

The FN needs to make an announcement that the first round of contestants has been a failure, and TPTB are casting a new try without fleeks!  No more Tregaye, goodbye Lover Boy, and Arrivaderci, Damiano.  C'mon, FN!  DO IT!

• Love 5
On 7/18/2016 at 0:41 PM, bad things are bad said:

Frankly I'm offended by what I see is her shuckin' and jivin', she's practically Stephin Fetchit as a caricature of what white folks think is "black" behavior. Next thing you know she'll be yelling for more mother-f'in iced tea 

I'm torn between this and "the mom from Mean Girls trying to prove she's 'down with the cool kids' ". When I saw this cartoon today, panel three made me laugh out loud thinking of Tregaye. I'm not sure she even gets the proper usage of the slang most of the time.

• Love 2

I feel so bad from Damiano' s brother...the guy was a deer in headlights.  He could not even tell you what frog legs were in Italian.

You could tell Tregaye's husband was like "Who the hell is this poppin on fleek clown and what have you done to my real wife?"

• Love 3
(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 9:44 AM, orangekit said:

I do not think Ana said anything racist, I think she just meant that Treygaye's audience had to like that kind of trendy and hyper personality.  

Don't want to get too off topic, but it's really annoying to me how nowadays many people are ready to yell "racist" at the drop of a hat, without actually knowing the person involved, and based solely on their own interpretation of some random comment. It cheapens the term and makes it less meaningful when there are true instances of racism.

And once you get called racist suddenly the burden is on you to somehow prove that you're not. You're presumed guilty. Very unfair.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 11

I'm not a fan of Ana, but she was in a no-win situation with the St. Patrick's Day holiday.  On this show, your PoV is everything, so if she'd simply made "normal" shephards pie or corned beef and cabbage, the judges would have jumped all over her for not including her PoV and unique heritage into the dish.  When she actually DID do a Cuban version of Irish food, she got knocked for making it "weird" and not authentic.  I'm not sure what she was supposed to do.

Erin had the same problem a couple of weeks ago.  She's a baker, but had to do a meal with sausage, I think.  You can't ALWAYS incorporate your PoV into a meal.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Organized8 said:

did anyone else hear the first thing Damiano's brother said to him???  "Look at your hair" with a horrified sounding voice.

BWAH!!!!

Really??  How did I miss that?  I HATE Damiano's Vanilla Ice 'do.

• Love 3
On 7/18/2016 at 1:59 PM, Skyfall said:

Give Damiano a food version of The Soup that allows him to snark and cut through the bullshit of all these reality cooking shows. THAT'S a show I would watch.

That is the perfect show for Ana!  I get her.  Her subtle sarcasm is misunderstood. If I were called upon to get creative with Irish food, I would react the same way and make snide comments under my breath, too!  

This show is about the competition, finding a person for a show is secondary.  They definitely cast for personalities to entertain and coach them to push it, clearly.  

I see no racism anywhere.  PC is so over the top that some scour the landscape just looking for violations  I am not directing this at anyone here.  I just notice it in the media all the time.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

That is the perfect show for Ana!  I get her.  Her subtle sarcasm is misunderstood. If I were called upon to get creative with Irish food, I would react the same way and make snide comments under my breath, too!  

This show is about the competition, finding a person for a show is secondary.  They definitely cast for personalities to entertain and coach them to push it, clearly.  

I see no racism anywhere.  PC is so over the top that some scour the landscape just looking for violations  I am not directing this at anyone here.  I just notice it in the media all the time.  

Heck, you could give that to Joy.  She can rant about anything "ethnic" and/or NOT SOUTHERN MOMMY.  I'd LOVE to see what she has to say about hummus, REAL Neapolitan pizza, quinoa, congee, etc, etc...  Heck, I'm sure she'd have something to say about a personal favourite sandwich of mine, a brie (or mozzarella), avocado and tomato panini.  On focaccia.  Heh. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, qtpye said:

I feel so bad from Damiano' s brother...the guy was a deer in headlights.  He could not even tell you what frog legs were in Italian.

I half expected him to go "What's with the accent? We're from Long Island."

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Amarsir said:

I half expected him to go "What's with the accent? We're from Long Island."

Bwhaaa...that would be so epic.  "Are we supposed to be from Italy or something?"

• Love 6
22 hours ago, Gregg247 said:

I'm not a fan of Ana, but she was in a no-win situation with the St. Patrick's Day holiday.  On this show, your PoV is everything, so if she'd simply made "normal" shephards pie or corned beef and cabbage, the judges would have jumped all over her for not including her PoV and unique heritage into the dish.  When she actually DID do a Cuban version of Irish food, she got knocked for making it "weird" and not authentic.  I'm not sure what she was supposed to do.

Exactly. And none of the other contestants had that same challenge. New Year's Eve food can be anything. For Mardi Gras, Jernard could make the southern food he always makes. For Cinco de Mayo, Damiano made Mexican food and did not attempt to give it an Italian twist. I think that if Ana had made standard Irish food they would've criticized her for it. When Donal, the Irishman, said "this is not the Irish food I know," I wish Ana had said "that's the whole point." (Did anyone else notice that you could barely hear his Irish accent until he delivered that line? Then he laid it on really thick.

Tregaye hugging the other competitors at the end and saying "the three amigos" was so phony. She reminds me of the kind of person I unfortunately have had to deal with a few times in my life. The ones who smile to your face while looking for a way to stick a knife in your back.

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, bluepiano said:

Exactly. And none of the other contestants had that same challenge. New Year's Eve food can be anything. For Mardi Gras, Jernard could make the southern food he always makes. For Cinco de Mayo, Damiano made Mexican food and did not attempt to give it an Italian twist. I think that if Ana had made standard Irish food they would've criticized her for it. When Donal, the Irishman, said "this is not the Irish food I know," I wish Ana had said "that's the whole point." (Did anyone else notice that you could barely hear his Irish accent until he delivered that line? Then he laid it on really thick.

Tregaye hugging the other competitors at the end and saying "the three amigos" was so phony. She reminds me of the kind of person I unfortunately have had to deal with a few times in my life. The ones who smile to your face while looking for a way to stick a knife in your back.

You're right, Blue.  This show needs Alton Brown back stat for a massive injection of anti-BS.

Not only would I not watch any show hosted by Tregaye, I'd go out of my way scrambling for the remote if I accidentally left FN on while I walked the dog, and found her yammering on my return.  I doubt her onscreen personality is manufactured in any way.  She's supremely annoying with a nasty core.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, cooksdelight said:

Maybe that's exactly why the brother didn't want to talk. He'd give away Domiano's secret, that he's been faking it all along.

Right!  that makes sense -  Damiano asks his brother how do you say frog legs in Italian?  And the brother stands there, not being shy, but having no fuckin' clue how to say anything in Italian! 

Dude, just say, 'frog-a leg-a' and smile. 

• Love 13
(edited)

Maybe Damiano and his brother can host a show together dressed as Mario and Luigi...so we can continue the Food Network tradition of turning everyone into cheesy stereotypes.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 9
11 hours ago, qtpye said:

Bwhaaa...that would be so epic.  "Are we supposed to be from Italy or something?"

"Just fake it and talk like Nonna.  If they ask, tell them we're from Nonna's town."  Bwahahahahahaha! :D :D

• Love 1
On July 19, 2016 at 3:45 PM, JoJoPowerRanger said:

Eh, I think its Ana's prerogative to call herself Cuban regardless of whether or not she was born in Cuba. I won't speak for all minorities but I'll speak for myself and people of my situation in my social circle -- in my experience, if you're the first generation of your family born in America and you're a minority, often people that think they might share your ancestry will ask you where you're from.  And if you say "America," they'll respond, "Yea, but where are you from?" Whether or not that question is offensive, who knows, but it's our reality. 

And I identify with my parents' country (as well as American), because in our household I grew up in that culture, honoring those traditions, eating that food, speaking that language. Heck, I didn't understand I was American until I went to school!  So if Ana does not in fact own a Cuban passport, I understand why she still says she's Cuban.

Both sides of my family were on the continent pre-Revolution, so we always just called ourselves American.  I mean, we're almost all English with German and others thrown in, as we found out lately, but it never was discussed or thought about.  When I married a man most of whose family still lived in Norway, I was subjected to endless questions about where we were "from," and they were just flabbergasted that we didn't really know and absolutely didn't care.  My husband's grandmother had a thing about everyone in their family marrying a Scandinavian - all others were "utlendinger" and didn't belong.  Heh.  

• Love 6
On 7/19/2016 at 8:30 AM, MajorWoody said:

Everyone seems to have missed the other insult, though. When her daughter was intoduced, she called her an "Irish Twin", because she was born 11 months after her sister. I didn't realize the Irish were the only ones that were pushing out kids at a rapid rate. In fact, it would seem to me that maybe she should ask her fellow castmate, the famous Irishman Jernard.

"Irish twin" is not an insult.  My two oldest brothers were born 11 months apart and we've always called them Irish twins.  We're Irish, of course.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Calamity Jane said:

Both sides of my family were on the continent pre-Revolution, so we always just called ourselves American.  I mean, we're almost all English with German and others thrown in, as we found out lately, but it never was discussed or thought about.  When I married a man most of whose family still lived in Norway, I was subjected to endless questions about where we were "from," and they were just flabbergasted that we didn't really know and absolutely didn't care.  My husband's grandmother had a thing about everyone in their family marrying a Scandinavian - all others were "utlendinger" and didn't belong.  Heh.  

Typically, people who've been here fewer than three generations are more likely to "obsess" about where they're "from" and where other people are "from."  However, I also know people of Scottish descent who came generations and generations ago and still talk about their clans and traditions back there.  Same with Irish (which I can understand - left because of famine and faced discrimination this side of the Atlantic). 

To make this legit for the thread:  Regarding Donal - I haven't seen him on anything before.  Does he usually have an accent?  Or was that fake?  

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

Regarding Donal - I haven't seen him on anything before.  Does he usually have an accent?  Or was that fake? 

No, that's legit.  He's Irish.

Here's one of his YouTube videos:

And this is when he was a singer (he's in the gray shirt):

• Love 1

Jernard and Tregaye seem to act the way really white writers would create black characters.

And Bobby and Giada tripping over each other to get jiggy wit' it.  

I mean, did Giada actually slip into Ebonics during Tregaye's live-stream challenge? "Mmmm, Mmm!  Your man fine, Tregaye!"

• Love 11
15 hours ago, PRgal said:

"Just fake it and talk like Nonna.  If they ask, tell them we're from Nonna's town."  Bwahahahahahaha! :D :D

That was awesome!  Too bad Damiano forgot to tell the poor soul how to say frog legs in Italian. 

It was pretty weird how Tregaye's husband and Damiano's brother seemed to be confused by these people in front of them.  Jernard has associated himself so much with baby-making in my mind that I really didn't want to see what would happen when his wife showed up . . . I must have tuned it out because I don't remember how his wife reacted to him.

And yes,Giada did lapse into some Ebonics there.  New lows being set each episode this season, it seems.

And what was Giada's helpful advice for when you have someone on stage with you that really doesn't want to be there?  Why would anyone, ever be on stage when they didn't want to be there?  Is Food Network forcing people's family and friends to appear on TV?  That was just weird.

• Love 1
On July 21, 2016 at 11:26 AM, spiderpig said:

You're right, Blue.  This show needs Alton Brown back stat for a massive injection of anti-BS.

Not only would I not watch any show hosted by Tregaye, I'd go out of my way scrambling for the remote if I accidentally left FN on while I walked the dog, and found her yammering on my return.  I doubt her onscreen personality is manufactured in any way.  She's supremely annoying with a nasty core.

Alton used to be a judge with Bobby and Giada, right?  Back when this was an enjoyable show that seemed actually to have a purpose connected to its title?  Bobby and Giada need someone to pull hard on the reins and bring them back from whatever fantasyland they're galloping through the past few seasons.  Alton's curmudgeonly input would help enormously, and I have a feeling that all their egging on of stereotype behavior would disappear right away.  So tiresome.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Alapaki said:

I mean, did Giada actually slip into Ebonics during Tregaye's live-stream challenge? "Mmmm, Mmm!  Your man fine, Tregaye!"

2 hours ago, Aquarius said:

And yes, Giada did lapse into some Ebonics there.  New lows being set each episode this season, it seems.

At least she wasn't in black face. Yet.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Calamity Jane said:

Alton used to be a judge with Bobby and Giada, right?  Back when this was an enjoyable show that seemed actually to have a purpose connected to its title?  Bobby and Giada need someone to pull hard on the reins and bring them back from whatever fantasyland they're galloping through the past few seasons.  Alton's curmudgeonly input would help enormously, and I have a feeling that all their egging on of stereotype behavior would disappear right away.  So tiresome.

Eh, toward the end Alton became a caricature of himself to the point that he was just the grumpy old man in the room.  I remember Giada and Bobby acting like ridiculous children in front of him, with him just rolling his eyes and saying something that Gramps might say when the kiddos misbehave.  I don't think any of this crap would stop with Alton around, it would just be punctuated with occasional shouts of "Get off my lawn!"  I think Alton may have had too many years of bowties.

I agree, though, the Terrible Twosome do need someone around to reel them in.  I think Tyler might work.  I don't know, I can just picture him saying, "You didn't just say 'Your man fine', did you?"

• Love 6

LOVED Damiano's brother's comment "What happened to your hair?".  And count me with those who think the brother wasn't shy, just didn't recognize the character his brother was playing and didn't know how to react.

And the female guest judge being all over how handsome he is, I just don't get it.  Maybe I'm too old or something, he's cute but not all that.

I find the comments about Jenard being treated with racism interesting.  I'm a big girl, and I see it almost more as laughing at the big guy who thinks he's smooth and can dance.  More sizist then anything.

• Love 7
On 7/18/2016 at 4:41 AM, Aging Goth said:

I knew when he put worstershire sauce in his gumbo (a fierce no-no) it was going to backfire on him.  Glad he wasn't eliminated, tho.

I grew up in NOLA and no one ever told me not to put worcestershire in gumbo and a quick google search revealed that even Emeril does it.  So does John Besh.  

I think the problem with Jenard's was that he put too much and Bobby could actually taste it.  You shouldn't be able to pick it out as an ingredient. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Calamity Jane said:

Valarie did an excellent job with that!  I was sorry to see her stint end with only one episode with them. 

• Love 4
23 hours ago, Aquarius said:

Eh, toward the end Alton became a caricature of himself to the point that he was just the grumpy old man in the room.  I remember Giada and Bobby acting like ridiculous children in front of him, with him just rolling his eyes and saying something that Gramps might say when the kiddos misbehave.  I don't think any of this crap would stop with Alton around, it would just be punctuated with occasional shouts of "Get off my lawn!"  I think Alton may have had too many years of bowties.

I agree, though, the Terrible Twosome do need someone around to reel them in.  I think Tyler might work.  I don't know, I can just picture him saying, "You didn't just say 'Your man fine', did you?"

Just replace both with Tyler and have the contestants use food trucks...oh wait :D (August can't get here fast enough! Tyler dont take no shit!)

• Love 3
On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 1:52 PM, lh25 said:

I find the comments about Jenard being treated with racism interesting.  I'm a big girl, and I see it almost more as laughing at the big guy who thinks he's smooth and can dance.  More sizist then anything.

If so, then they're still laughing AT him, which makes me very uncomfortable. They're encouraging him to play the clown for their amusement. Of course he might be fully aware of that, and is happy to go along if it's going to be keep him around in the competition. If that's what this show has become, it's pretty sad.

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 2:14 PM, toolazy said:

I grew up in NOLA and no one ever told me not to put worcestershire in gumbo and a quick google search revealed that even Emeril does it.  So does John Besh.  

I think the problem with Jenard's was that he put too much and Bobby could actually taste it.  You shouldn't be able to pick it out as an ingredient. 

Gumbo is traditionally slow cooked for an extended time. My thought was that since Jernard didn't have that time, he added the Worcestershire as a shortcut to try to punch up the flavor. But maybe he added too much, especially given that with the limited cooking time the flavor wouldn't be absorbed with the other ingredients.

• Love 2

If so, then they're still laughing AT him, which makes me very uncomfortable.

I totally agree, I just saw a different motive for lack of a better word.