Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

Is he saying "crib in my pants"?

I know y’all tripped on my bearskin rug 

But soon it will be fine-polished wood and ready for love

I get it, girls, fixer-uppers ain’t your thing

So I’m renovating the North, East, West, and South wings 

So please, ladies, come back

Welcome back, girls, to the crib in my pants

Won’t ya’ please give it one more chance

The views are breathtaking wherever you glance

I know, I know, the plumbing had sideburns

And the stairs—stairs had hairs

But down in my basement, cleaned my junk and all

Got a new toolkit that’s right on the ball

Beep, beep, beep, back the construction truck in

It’s all been refurbished, so come on in

Got a housewarming gift that’s ready to dance

Welcome back, girls, from attic to foundation

When you see what I’ve done, there’ll be a standing ovation

So come navigate my whole new floorplan

The design is user-friendly—I’m a changed man

But I left a little something, just a little trace 

Wanted to make sure you recognize the place 

Welcome back, ladies, to the crib in my pants

Welcome back, ladies, to the crib in my pants

• Love 2

I think the Schick razor commercials are sort of a after school PSA for women from men. Because I am over fifty and I have never met a woman who I was intimate with, who was not more than a little concern with their pubic hair. From my first who was so proud that her pubic hairs were shaped into a perfect little isosceles triangle. To most women who are overly concerned about razor stubble. Some how, if I date a woman for anytime before being intimate, I know the state of their pubic hair before hand. I guess most women after awhile adopt the policy of, to be warned is to be forewarned. Which is much better than being an appeaser or a bait and switcher. Speaking as a guy, women discuss their pubic hairs with men, more than they know or care to admit. Almost as much as they discuss their periods and other women's camel toes. Oy with the periods and camel toes already.

Since you didn't respond, I will quote you again and ask:  Does being warned and forewarned mean that women TELL YOU if they shave their twat?  And what is an appeaser?  And what is a bait and switcher?  A woman who lies about their shaving habits?  Sincerely, I really want to know!

• Love 5
(edited)

I think the Schick razor commercials are sort of a after school PSA for women from men. Because I am over fifty and I have never met a woman who I was intimate with, who was not more than a little concern with their pubic hair. From my first who was so proud that her pubic hairs were shaped into a perfect little isosceles triangle. To most women who are overly concerned about razor stubble. Some how, if I date a woman for anytime before being intimate, I know the state of their pubic hair before hand. I guess most women after awhile adopt the policy of, to be warned is to be forewarned. Which is much better than being an appeaser or a bait and switcher. Speaking as a guy, women discuss their pubic hairs with men, more than they know or care to admit. Almost as much as they discuss their periods and other women's camel toes. Oy with the periods and camel toes already.

I am a woman over 50.  I am not sure about the women you have been intimate with.  I have never told anyone about the state of my pubic hair prior to having sex with them.  I have dated both men and women.  I can only think of one person who told me anything about their pubic hair in advance and that was just because of a skin infection which meant there was not going to be anything going on in her pubic region for awhile.  Then again, I have never discussed camel toe with anyone either unless a friend was trying something on and it did not fit well.  I certainly would not go on about some other woman showing camel toe.  As for period discussions, I have had a few in my day, but no where near as many as are suggested by TV shows.  Unless there's a problem, I've never known anyone who made a big deal about it.  So again, I'm really wondering about your dating pool.  Are you sure you're not somehow sending out the "Hey, why don't you tell me about your pubic hair, camel toe sightings and menstrual flow" vibe?  

Edited by Muffyn
  • Love 13

I have bad news for those of you that hate the graphic anti smoking PSAs. I was listening to an interview with someone that runs an anti-smoking non-profit and he said there is a direct correlation between the number of times the ads air and the number of calls they get to their smoking cessation hotline.

So they work, which is good, and they aren't going away. 

• Love 2

*My irritation with this type of song/dance extends to TV shows -- especially sitcoms -- in which S/D routines are non-existent.  IME, they come across as something forced into the script for no reason other than to highlight a cast member's that usually remains hidden, as it should be.  You want America to watch/hear you sing and dance?  Go on Broadway or film a musical and leave your day gig alone.

Exception: "Nothing Suits Me Like a Suit" on How I Met Your Mother. Totally awesome and, to be fair, Neil Patrick Harris DID perform on Broadway. Honorable mention: "Everything Comes Down to Poo" on Scrubs.

However, this is not commercial-related so I'll go away now.

• Love 1

Aw, I love Nina Simone! It's just the time-honored jazz tradition of scat singing. It's not so much about the words as it is the emotion in the voice. :-)

Gotta love Sinnerman

Love that Nina. I heard a version of Jolene that we thought maybe was her of a man with an unusual voice... nope it was Dolly at a different speed. Much better.

Hate the 'commando' commercials. Still FF the babies grow up to be cowboys one - I used to want to beat the kids but now I hate the oblivious mom "Boys?" Really woman. You know they are little trolls so why not keep them in the car...OK they might arrest you if you put them in the trunk but...

Exception: "Nothing Suits Me Like a Suit" on How I Met Your Mother. Totally awesome and, to be fair, Neil Patrick Harris DID perform on Broadway.

Sorry but nothing is universal. This number did absolute nothing for me, in fact I kind of hated it, but to each his own and all that. Of course I hold the unpopular opinion of detesting the character of Barney Stinson and not being all that enamored with Neil Patrick Harris for that matter.

Topic: the commercial with the cars being portrayed as giant babies pisses me off to no end.

• Love 3

The Miller High Life with the delusional guy annoys me.   First of all, it's freaking Miller High Life, drink a real beer dude.   Second, no you are not living this wonderful life where you have a private helipad, hobnob with titans of industry or have a private jet that you bought from some guy who couldn't afford the payments.   You can't afford the payments either.   You are a regular schmoe with regular friends.   Why are you pretending to be somehting you are not?    And if that is the kind of delusions that drinking Miller gives you I am staying far far away (well I am anyway, but if I were so inclined, I wouldn't be so inclined due to the commercial).

• Love 1

The Miller High Life with the delusional guy annoys me.   First of all, it's freaking Miller High Life, drink a real beer dude.   Second, no you are not living this wonderful life where you have a private helipad, hobnob with titans of industry or have a private jet that you bought from some guy who couldn't afford the payments.   You can't afford the payments either.   You are a regular schmoe with regular friends.   Why are you pretending to be somehting you are not?    And if that is the kind of delusions that drinking Miller gives you I am staying far far away (well I am anyway, but if I were so inclined, I wouldn't be so inclined due to the commercial).

What annoys me about Miller High Life in general is that its called the "champagne of beers", which.....please. I know what champagne tastes like, and if it tasted anything like beer, I'd never drink that either.

• Love 3
(edited)

As an upstate New Yorker, the fact that the state's current tourism campaign about the entire state only features people from the city (Whoopi Goldberg, Robert DeNiro, David Wright) talking about the joys of upstate really annoys me. 

ETA. I should clarify. The ads are only about upstate attractions. Not the city.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 6

As an upstate New Yorker, the fact that the state's current tourism campaign about the entire state only features people from the city (Whoopi Goldberg, Robert DeNiro, David Wright) talking about the joys of upstate really annoys me.

I live in nearby Connecticut, but the only celebrities I can think of from upstate New York are Martha Stewart & Hillary Clinton.

That's no different than California's tourism campaign which seems to forget that the state even exists north of Palm Springs.

• Love 1

I'm not liking the new KFC ads. As an African American, bringing back that kind of Southern iconography doesn't exactly bring out feelings of warm and fuzzy nostalgia for me.

The South during the Colonel's time wasn't a great time for my people.

• Love 10

The one Ancestry.com ad that bugs me is the one where the woman claims that somehow she was able to find out through the census records that her ancestor was the only doctor in town.  How does a census record do that?  Did she go through the entire census for the town checking to see if there were any other doctors?

• Love 3

I live in nearby Connecticut, but the only celebrities I can think of from upstate New York are Martha Stewart & Hillary Clinton.

Lots of celebs have houses in upstate New York. Earl Jones and Liam Neason have houses in the Hudson Valley. So does Uma Thurman and Billy Joel. And actually Robert De Niro does too. There are quite a few others. Jimmy Fallon doesn't live here anymore but he got his start in comedy clubs in Poughkeepsie NY.

I assumed the guy was being sarcastic and mocking hipsters who buy overpriced beer.

The Miller High Life guy's name is Rich. The "I Am Rich" ads are a dig at Dos Equis's "most interesting man in the world."

I never thought of that.

• Love 2

Everyone has great historical figures in their family tree. What a surprise!

Just a guess on my part since I have no idea what Ancestry.com charges, but I might resent any amount if all they were gonna tell me was that my grandpa had been drafted.

• Love 3

I'm not liking the new KFC ads. As an African American, bringing back that kind of Southern iconography doesn't exactly bring out feelings of warm and fuzzy nostalgia for me.

The South during the Colonel's time wasn't a great time for my people.

That commercial creeps me out. Col. Sanders was a real person who died 35 years ago. In the earlier days of KFC he appeared in commercials. I assume that's what they are trying to recreate.

But to have someone dress up like him is morbid. Didn't they try this approach a few years back?And if I remember correctly it was criticized so much that it was dropped very quickly.

• Love 5

I did the free trial thing on ancestry.com.  Didn't get much out of it, since all four grandparents immigrated from Europe.  I did get the town in Poland one set of grandparents were from, and I already knew about the other set.  Unless I wanna stalk somebody, it's useless for me.

• Love 3

Do the Ancestry.com ads annoy anyone else?

Somehow they never promote finding out the family dirt - the long standing, hushed murmurs that great grandma came over from the Old World with her two sisters who are never mentioned ever again (and rumored to have become prostitutes), you're descended from cousins who married each other or that your brutal ass of a grandfather died under suspicious circumstances (overlooked by the rural country doctor/ME who treated grandma and the kids for various "accidents").

• Love 2
(edited)

Everyone has great historical figures in their family tree. What a surprise!

Do they? Apparently they can't find any real people with historical figures willing to promote their services. The photographer at Gettysburg is fictional. God only knows who that creepy suffragette is who gives that look to the camera.

As an actual user of Ancestry.com's services my main complaint with their commercials is how misleading they are. Joining them will give you convenient use of many data bases. But to assure your information is accurate you have to actually put in some work. The leaf thing may give you information that some distant cousin spent weeks, months or even years researching and the information may be totally accurate or not. Or it may link to information for someone who isn't related to you at all, especially if that person had a common name.

The impression the commercials leave is that you can start clicking leaves and will find out exactly how you descended from Adam and Eve!

Edited by Cara
  • Love 8

Did she go through the entire census for the town checking to see if there were any other doctors?

If the town were small enough to only have one doctor, that wouldn't be too difficult, but I'm not sure how meaningful that is anyway. Half the town could have been going to a doctor in the town next door.

• Love 1

"The impression the commercials leave is that you can start clicking leaves and will find out exactly how you descended from Adam and Eve!"

I tried the free trial and found it very disappointing. My search for my maternal ancestors only went as far as my grandparents. That was because I supplied their names! It was all an exercise in redundancy and not worth the extra money.

• Love 5

"The impression the commercials leave is that you can start clicking leaves and will find out exactly how you descended from Adam and Eve!"

I tried the free trial and found it very disappointing. My search for my maternal ancestors only went as far as my grandparents. That was because I supplied their names! It was all an exercise in redundancy and not worth the extra money.

Yep, they expect people to pony up the dough to be able to search further.

• Love 4

Commercials in general are aggravating me lately. I've been watching mostly DVR'd shows. I inevitably am one second too late FF-ing the commercials, and it never fails to be some annoying twenty-something screeching at full decibel level and with far too much enthusiasm.

• Love 4

Commercials in general are aggravating me lately. I've been watching mostly DVR'd shows. I inevitably am one second too late FF-ing the commercials, and it never fails to be some annoying twenty-something screeching at full decibel level and with far too much enthusiasm.

They are bubbly critters.

• Love 5

I know exactly what I'd find if I went on Ancestry.com, because everything they've got on my family comes from the research my mom contributed to an entirely different genealogy database.

• Love 2

That commercial creeps me out. Col. Sanders was a real person who died 35 years ago. In the earlier days of KFC he appeared in commercials. I assume that's what they are trying to recreate.

But to have someone dress up like him is morbid. Didn't they try this approach a few years back?And if I remember correctly it was criticized so much that it was dropped very quickly.

The way he says "cooookieee" sounds like someone trying to lure children *shudder*

• Love 6

And he was always a dignified presence (if memory serves) but they've just made him creepy and weird with a high pitched voice and clown like demeanor.  I no like. 

• Love 4

I'm generally indifferent toward the Jimmy Dean commercials featuring The Sun, his family and his coworkers, but I really hate the one with the wife lounging in a bathrobe on the front porch of her home enjoying a sunny morning. Her husband, The Sun, offers her a Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwich and she, of course, bites into it and lets the orgasmic pleasure of doing so roll across her face. Then all the sudden a car drives up and blasts its horn and a screechy voice calls, "Let's go! Time to get to work!" So the wife hops up, disrobes, and reveals she's been wearing her work clothes underneath the robe. The impatient woman who yells from the car just gets the hell on my nerves. If I were The Sun's wife, I'd be throwing some serious shade on her.

• Love 8

The douchey guy in the Stella Artois ad bugs me to no end.  I suppose it's his look of smug self-satisfaction when he sends glasses of the product down on an elegant table to some lucky stiff.  I didn't know Stella Artois was a beer!  Silly me, I thought it was champagne because of the pomposity that Monsieur Douche used to send it down.  He reminds me of Captain Obvious, another character whom I loathe.

• Love 4