Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

(edited)

I think the Trivago guy is cute, but I guess I should post that over at "Unpopular Opinions."

I hate the new Yoplait yogurt commercials. I get they're going for an Audrey Hepburn/ingenue type of thing. However, the commercials are subtitled -- except the actress is speaking English, just with an egregious French accent. Either go all in and have her speak French, or don't do it at all.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 5

The video after the commercial on YouTube (at least on my browser) has Nina Simone singing the song - apparently, she wrote it and she's got that weird ching-ching stuff in the middle, too.  And I'm guessing in her case, it is about race and not house paint.

• Love 3

Do fuck and marry have to be options?

No, there is string them along in friend territory so long that they begin to think of themselves as your girlfriend. So they opt to become a transgender person to better fit the role.

• Love 2

The video after the commercial on YouTube (at least on my browser) has Nina Simone singing the song - apparently, she wrote it and she's got that weird ching-ching stuff in the middle, too.  And I'm guessing in her case, it is about race and not house paint.

Ah. So maybe that's why it's in its shorter version on tv.

• Love 1

I like him as a rare example of white guy diversity. To me there's nothing wrong with his looks, he just doesn't dress or look like every other American white guy in that age range on TV. I hope the company doesn't give in to pressure to make him just like everyone else.

I think Trivago guy is HOT (okay, I'm ducking now). But I've got to admit the "getting Lucky in the room" does kind of creep me out.

• Love 5

Since this was apparently a real song, I had to go look it up.

NINA SIMONE

"Color Is A Beautiful Thing"

Color is a beautiful thing

I know, I know

I know, oh yes, I know

Color is the E Ching Chang

For sure, ding-dang

Color is a beautiful thing, I know

Still makes no sense, but at least I know I haven't totally lost my hearing.

• Love 5

NINA SIMONE

I know, I know

I know, oh yes, I know

For sure, ding-dang

A very short real song, lol.

• Love 1

NINA SIMONE

I know, I know

I know, oh yes, I know

For sure, ding-dang

Nina, your lyrics stink wink

For sure, fink-blink

Your lyrics are a hideous thing, I know

• Love 5

Aw, I love Nina Simone! It's just the time-honored jazz tradition of scat singing. It's not so much about the words as it is the emotion in the voice. :-)

Gotta love Sinnerman.

• Love 3

Oh dear god!! (Frasier voice). I hate that Lincoln car commercial with Mathew McConaughey squinting and whispering. LOATHE. GO AWAY NOW.

An online friend made a parody of those ads with himself as the Green Goblin (the Spiderman villain).

• Love 2
(edited)

I know exactly why I hate the Yoplait commercials; I detest yogurt!  It is one of the most vile substances on earth!  It makes me wonder why the PTB at the networks need to make EVERYONE feel that they really really need to eat yogurt every day!  Seriously, do so many people have constipation nowadays?

My hatred for the yogurt craze would be equated to my hatred if they started advertising LIVER every day, Yuck!

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 5

Oh dear god!! (Frasier voice). I hate that Lincoln car commercial with Mathew McConaughey squinting and whispering. LOATHE. GO AWAY NOW.

I detest him.  I hate all versions of the Lincoln commercials with him.  But I particularly hate the one where he says something like "I was driving a Lincoln before I started getting paid to drive one".  Suck it, you ass.

• Love 10

Oh, I hate them, too, but I can't explain why. When I see them, I get an unsettling feeling like a flashback to when I was a little kid. I must have seen some foreign commercial that had an odd surreal creepiness (it was the late 60s, so who knows?), and the Yoplait ads bring that back. Especially the one where she holds the spoons above her eyes. *shudder*

I was just coming here to post about the spoons ad. She looks like she's going to gouge her eyes out. Very creepy.

Here's a clue for Jeopardy!:

A - Worse than a Yogurt Bitch.

Q - Alex, what's a French Yogurt Bitch?

• Love 8

Ok I've only seen the ad one time and I'm kind of hoping that maybe I just dreamed it since I don't see anything in this thread about it. I'm talking about an ad for razors in which three women are standing at a table trimming bonsai bushes which are strategically placed right in front of....well...their own bonsai bushes if you get my drift and I'm sure that you do. All while chatting about pube hair issues. Yes you read it correctly, this is an actual prime time commercial.

• Love 2

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KiHpibGYrew

From upthread:

Today, while watching a show on Nickelodeon, the network for kids (although that ship sailed a long time ago), I saw an ad for the Schick Hydro Razor. It featured three bikini clad women trimming strategically placed bonsai bushes, to visually suggest they are trimming their pubic hair. The one on the right trims her bush into a heart shape.

Really? What is American culture coming to? Commercials about shit smearing the side of the toilet, now women trimming their pubic hair on a kid's network?

It left me speechless.

I haven't looked lately, but when I read the comments accompanying the commercial on Youtube, respondents seemed evenly split between loving the spot and despising it.

Men, it seemed, love it.   Women, no.

I worked for years as an ad agency copywriter.   From that perspective, I think the ad is clever as hell.   The risque humor is very European. 

But here's the thing -- to whom are they marketing the Schick hydro?   Men?  People who work in ad agencies?

Of course not.   They made a clever ad, but one that repulses and offends a large portion of the target audience.   That's not good advertising.   My guess is, Schick's ad agency pushed the spot in the hopes of attracting publicity and/or winning awards, buyers be damned.   The advertising managers at Schick who okayed it will probably be looking for new jobs soon.

• Love 4

Actually, all I can think about when I see this ad, was how the casting was while looking for 3 females with crotches at the same height, & then how rehearsals were while figuring out exactly where they had to stand to get the trees in the right place for all 3. It must have been weird.

• Love 6

It's a copycat ad, anyway. I'm at work so I'm not going to go looking for it and have that stuck in my corporately monitored browsing history, but there's a European ad with a tagline of "Time to trim the bush," I think. Same deal. Young women coyly brandishing razors over something green.

I think it's clever and funny, but thinking about body hair does tweak some people and they'd prefer not to be reminded it's there. As for it being on Nick, I'll bet it's during the hours they used to call "Nick at Nite" when they stop running wall-to-wall cereal and toy ads and get down into the prescription drug, insurance policy and ambulance chaser ads. Adult stuff.

• Love 5
(edited)

"Time to Mow the Lawn"

Complete with unPC racial stereotypes. "Some bushes are really big." (black lady), "Some bushes are really small." (Asian lady, complete with shy tee-hee)

Edited by riley702
  • Love 6

"Time to Mow the Lawn"

Complete with unPC racial stereotypes. "Some bushes are really big." (black lady), "Some bushes are really small." (Asian lady, complete with shy tee-hee)

LOL, that is way beyond the US one, complete with starting with a woman with a kitty in her lap.

• Love 2

"Time to Mow the Lawn"

Seriously O_o?! I have no words.

• Love 3

starting with a woman with a kitty in her lap.

At the end, notice she's now holding a Sphynx hairless cat.

I was just coming here to post about the spoons ad. She looks like she's going to gouge her eyes out. Very creepy.

Perhaps she thinks she can eat yogurt out of her skull.

• Love 8
Men, it seemed, love it.   Women, no.

I worked for years as an ad agency copywriter.   From that perspective, I think the ad is clever as hell.   The risque humor is very European.

But here's the thing -- to whom are they marketing the Schick hydro?   Men?  People who work in ad agencies?

Of course not.   They made a clever ad, but one that repulses and offends a large portion of the target audience.   That's not good advertising.   My guess is, Schick's ad agency pushed the spot in the hopes of attracting publicity and/or winning awards, buyers be damned.   The advertising managers at Schick who okayed it will probably be looking for new jobs soon.

I think the European one is kind of tacky, but the one with the women by the pool doesn't bother me at all.  But even though I'm a woman who isn't offended by it, it's still ineffective advertising because no way in hell am I going to go out and buy a whole new implement just to manage my pubes.

Is this the same company that a few years back had women walking by shrubs that topiaried themselves as the women walked past?

• Love 3

Not only that, but did you catch the tulips (two lips) line?

"So all that's left for me to see are tulips on the mound" they really just go for it, don't they?

• Love 7

As soon as I see an equal number of asinine commercials featuring men standing behind miniature dachshunds sticking out of bushes, I'll get behind these ads. Until then, I stand by my stance that Schick/Wilkinson can fuck right off.

• Love 21

I think the Schick razor commercials are sort of a after school PSA for women from men. Because I am over fifty and I have never met a woman who I was intimate with, who was not more than a little concern with their pubic hair. From my first who was so proud that her pubic hairs were shaped into a perfect little isosceles triangle. To most women who are overly concerned about razor stubble. Some how, if I date a woman for anytime before being intimate, I know the state of their pubic hair before hand. I guess most women after awhile adopt the policy of, to be warned is to be forewarned. Which is much better than being an appeaser or a bait and switcher. Speaking as a guy, women discuss their pubic hairs with men, more than they know or care to admit. Almost as much as they discuss their periods and other women's camel toes. Oy with the periods and camel toes already.

• Love 2

I guess most women after awhile adopt the policy of, to be warned is to be forewarned. Which is much better than being an appeaser or a bait and switcher.

What does this mean?  I really do not understand these references in context.

• Love 8
(edited)

I

Speaking as a guy, women discuss their pubic hairs with men, more than they know or care to admit.

I'm curious as to what gives you the impression women don't realize they discuss their pubic hair or want to admit it?

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 5