Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

With all due respect, InDueTime, that Faith Hill song tears me up inside every time I hear it.  I will concede, however, that the song is not really appropriate for that particular PSA.

Oh, I have no problem with Faith Hill (or the song itself), erikdepressant.  It's just that these dumb ads don't do these song that are played over them any favors.

I loathe the "Values.  Pass it On" commercials, and this one is no exception (although I've always liked that song).  I'm not glued to my phone the way he is - in fact, I hardly ever use mine - but if I dropped it in the sink, I'd be pissed.  And if I'd scooped it out quickly, possibly salvaging it, and someone tossed it back in and then prevented me from getting to it?  Hell, no.  This is not the time for her to address their problems, period, and certainly not the way to go about it.  What a stupid ad.  As usual.

Plus, it makes the wife look like a hypocrite when she was just as distracted with her laptop in the beginning.

There's a new Belvita commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RivcvCMhgec

You would think that they would do the "Morning win" of someone who could sing.

• Love 1

DelMonte green beans. I. Can't. Stand. That. Song.

What does this have to do with people riding bikes? In that closing shot, the camera is coming perilously close to showing right up the woman's dress.

Not to mention, it's a retread from last year.

There's a new Jennie-O ground turkey commercial which irritates the crap out of me. Jennie-O (a pretty big freakin' company) drives out to some little, succesful food truck serving tacos and then prepares to show them how much more awesome they are. Beyond the fact that it is bullcrap that their little turkey taco is ZOMG more amazing than this food truck taco that people drive miles for, why does this national company feel the need to steal customers from this little food truck. It's distasteful.

• Love 7

What does this have to do with people riding bikes? In that closing shot, the camera is coming perilously close to showing right up the woman's dress.

I don't remember it from last year, but I like the current one. I think the song is cute, and it's a different way to sell canned green beans.

• Love 1

I'm a mean and petty person.  I know that. So maybe it is no surprise how much I HATE the snack bar commercials that feature the blind father who uses his daughter a a guide animal through the wilderness.

First, she is not that old and I get that they filmed a commercial.  But to show you having your young teenage daughter supposedly guide you across rugged adn downright dangerous looking terrain to perch on a cliff?  When she could have walked you around the neighborhood before resting on the back porch and, yes I'm going there, for Mr. Egocentric, it would amount to the same damn thing.  For her maybe not.  But maybe deep down she doesn't want to be responsible for herself and her self-important father on the edge of a cliffside pocked with crevasses and treacherous drops.  If a father blindfolded himself and did this as some kind of confidence building exercise I'd consider the asshole likely hero worships The Great Santini.

Second, in a following ad, he takes away her phone.  The man who cannot see.  The blind man who if I accept the paradigms of the commercial is only alive thanks to his daughter and not a broken corpse waiting for vermin and scavengers to have their culinary way with his remains seeing as how it looks like any fall is not only going to be painfully fatal but also perhaps irretrievable.  Douche.  He takes her phone.  Is she texting she is safe to mom?  Taking a picture and sending it to a friend or family member to show what she has achieved?  Doesn't matter.  Snack bar munching douche is all about teaching her.  I say leave his ass out there on the ledge and let him see his way back safely.  Yeah I went there again!

And I hate cell phones.  I hate the parasitical ubiquity they have become on social interaction.  But boy does that man and those commercials make my head explode.  The message they are trying to use to sell the wholesome simple natural image attached to their product is totally lost , to me, thanks to how an incredible douchebag this guy comes across.  A guy I know I'm just suppose to be in awe of because he is blind.  Fuck him and the bar he stuffs in his mouth.

Edited by heebiejeebie
  • Love 13

Yes. We're getting pointers on how to plan the perfect murder. We'll then rise up, kill all the yogurt bitches, whining brats and the lawyers who have those vaginal mesh ads. We'll be able to convince the forensic guys that they all died from moderate to severe [fill in your favorite ailment].

ROFLMAO!  Too, too funny!  Thanks, CarpeDiem54

• Love 3

OK, I was tolerant of the Values adverts until the one I saw last night. There's a guy carrying packages, and he comes up onto the stoop to help an elderly lady who is holding some groceries or something open the door. He contorts himself to get the handle with his foot, then a whole string of other people take advantage of him standing there awkwardly trying to keep hold of his own armfuls of stuff to parade out the door. Then he ends of dropping his boxes and no one helps him! "Values," indeed.

Edited by St. Claire
  • Love 1

I'm a mean and petty person.  I know that. So maybe it is no surprise how much I HATE the snack bar commercials that feature the blind father who uses his daughter a a guide animal through the wilderness.

I couldn't agree more with your post. That commercial has been on my shit list for some time now. If his daughter wants to take pictures with her phone, it's her business. At least she's not taking a selfie of her and daddy dearest doing duck lips.

If it's the same one I saw (which, whatever, they're all stupidly the same), each family member is making arguments for why he/she should get the last cinnamon roll. One of the things that bothered me is that it's a family of four and there's an extra roll. Do rolls come in five-packs now?

My next thought was: Split it; duh. Then I thought, why does the dopey son get it? Did he go to work to earn the money to pay for it? I thought not. Go mow my lawn, kid.

• Love 4

I liked the Little Caesar's Pizza ad where the guy is on hold for pizza ('you're holding for pizza', 'don't listen to your wife', etc.) but I hate the newest one where (because the father has to give out all kinds of information on the pizza place's website to order) he yells 'We're going off the grid!'  Then we see them in a hovel all grimy.  Then the mom says 'we could have gone to Little Caesar's and got a hot 'n ready pizza'.  The dad then yells 'We're going back on the grid!'  I think I just don't like him--the rest of the family is okay (although the mom could have mentioned Little Caesar's a little earlier).  I did laugh when I saw that the teenage daughter ended up with a unibrow when they were 'off the grid'.  Yeah, I think it's the dad that's annoying in that one.

• Love 3

I liked the Little Caesar's Pizza ad where the guy is on hold for pizza ('you're holding for pizza', 'don't listen to your wife', etc.) but I hate the newest one where (because the father has to give out all kinds of information on the pizza place's website to order) he yells 'We're going off the grid!'  Then we see them in a hovel all grimy.  Then the mom says 'we could have gone to Little Caesar's and got a hot 'n ready pizza'.  The dad then yells 'We're going back on the grid!'  I think I just don't like him--the rest of the family is okay (although the mom could have mentioned Little Caesar's a little earlier).  I did laugh when I saw that the teenage daughter ended up with a unibrow when they were 'off the grid'.  Yeah, I think it's the dad that's annoying in that one.

What I hate is the way he enunciates "griiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid"

• Love 1

Why does a kid who can pretend to be a robot get the last Pillsbury biscuit, or whatever it is?  And the whole family just blithely agrees, like that's some super skill he's just demonstrated.

I'd slap that kid, tell him to sit down and stop acting like a spaz. And since he's such a lame doofus he doesn't get any cinnamon rolls next time either.

• Love 5

Oh Lord, Kate Gosselin is coming back to TV. The blurb ends with a shot of her shaking her head and rolling her eyes in disgust that she has to deal with - horrors - teenagers. Really, bitch? Didn't you actively seek fertility treatments to conceive those kids? And haven't you ridden that "8 children!" shtick to the bank and back? Aren't those kids your continuing meal ticket and the reason we even know who the hell you are? Shut the fuck up, lady! Plenty of people have dealt with teens without acting disgusted by their own offspring. Don't act like you're being imposed upon. And did I say "Shut the fuck up!" already? God, she's annoying.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 15

I liked the Little Caesar's Pizza ad where the guy is on hold for pizza ('you're holding for pizza', 'don't listen to your wife', etc.) but I hate the newest one where (because the father has to give out all kinds of information on the pizza place's website to order) he yells 'We're going off the grid!'

I haven't seen the newest one yet, but your description reminded me of the Monty Python "Fire Brigade" skit: "Hello, hello, operator? Yes we're trying to get the fire brigade ... No, the fire brigade. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, what? ... (he takes his shoes off, looks in it) Size eight. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, no of course not, Yes..."

• Love 3

Then the mom says 'we could have gone to Little Caesar's and got a hot 'n ready pizza'.

Or they could have gone to a competitor. Just because you can go to a web site to order a pizza doesn't mean you have to and I've often walked out of a Domino's with a pizza I didn't pre-order faster than doing the same at Little Ceasar's.

If it's the same one I saw (which, whatever, they're all stupidly the same), each family member is making arguments for why he/she should get the last cinnamon roll. One of the things that bothered me is that it's a family of four and there's an extra roll. Do rolls come in five-packs now?

My next thought was: Split it; duh. Then I thought, why does the dopey son get it? Did he go to work to earn the money to pay for it? I thought not. Go mow my lawn, kid.

The "Grand" cinnamon rolls are 5 to a tube.  The smaller ones (which are basically biscuits with cinnamon and frosting) are still 8 to a tube.

And yeah, I definitely wouldn't have given him the cinnamon roll.  He wasn't even very good at doing the robot. It should have gone to either the mom or dad (or both, with each getting half).

• Love 1

This commercial only goes in the "annoy" range, not full-on rage. The new KFC commercial with the kids who are getting all despondent over their parents serving a rotisserie chicken makes no sense to me. They show mom and dad preparing to serve the chicken, then the plethora of rotisserie chicken containers. Oh my goodness! We are depending too highly on serving roasted chicken as our go-to meal! Let's shake things up by buying...a bucket of chicken. 

What really bugs me about that commercial is the sound of the mother trying to pry the molded plastic lid off of the container.  Drives me nuts.  

And IA, serving them KFC is pointless when all they had been eating was chicken.  It would have made more sense for them to show the family having constantly eaten meatloaf or something.

Edited by Amethyst
  • Love 2

One of those stupid Juno songs.

Oh Lord, Kate Gosselin is coming back to TV. The blurb ends with a shot of her shaking her head and rolling her eyes in disgust that she has to deal with - horrors - teenagers. Really, bitch? Didn't you actively seek fertility treatments to conceive those kids? And haven't you ridden that "8 children!" shtick to the bank and back? Aren't those kids your continuing meal ticket and the reason we even know who the hell you are? Shut the fuck up, lady! Plenty of people have dealt with teens without acting disgusted by their own offspring. Don't act like you're being imposed upon. And did I say "Shut the fuck up!" already? God, she's annoying.

Now, I love that commercial, because I have two boys at either end of teenagerhood (and I know girls are worse). There's that moment when Kate goes go hug one of her daughters and gets stiff-armed, and I'm holding my fist in the air like, Yours in the struggle, girl. I didn't really watch her original show, but I totally feel this ad.(especially how the song ends over her rollyeyes: I'm over it. Girrrrl, I totally hear you.) Edited by Archery
  • Love 1

The problem with the Kate Gosselin "teenagers" ad, is that the particular teenage daughter in question highlighted in that part of the ad? has always acted like a broody/whiny/petulant teen. Even when she was 7 on the earlier show. I mean, I know they've been mostly out of the public eye for a while, so maybe no one remembers what they were like. I'm kind of even ashamed to admit I used to watch that show when the kids were little and before they drank their own kool-aid and the family imploded, but if you've ever watched them before, that's just that kid's personality. It's also not remotely shocking to me that she has broody teens, beyond the norm of that happens to almost everyone, because from what I've seen of Kate Gosselin, she's basically a walking talking eyeroll, so of course her kids do that.

The new KFC (? can't remember that's how much the commercial annoys the hell out of me) commercial.   Grandma sends the guy $5, tells him to spend it on something nice.   So he goes around looking at fast food to spend it on.   Because that is totally what a Grandmother means when she says "something nice" junk food.   Uh-huh.    What a jackass.    Although he is better than the manchild who won't grow up and get a checking account so he can't cash the check from grandma.

• Love 1

The ad for the new show Fifty Ways To Kill Your Mother. I hate the guy and especially when he goes "I fell in love with my mommy all over again." Ewwwww and ick, ick, ick!!!

Edited by ethalfrida
  • Love 1

There's a new Trivago ad where the guy actually cleans up (he shaves on screen) and puts on a suit.

I caught that one yesterday.  He's actually kind of nice-looking when he doesn't look like he needs a shower and a shave (and his clothes always looked kind of disheveled.)

Makeover attempt # 2 for the Trivago dude and yes, he's a lot less creepier.  Also his wardrobe doesn't showcase how oddly disproportionate his body is (his torso is so long compared to his legs).

• Love 1

There's a Dodge commercial that just got a lot of play during the Golden Globes, and it filled me with so much rage I had to come here and post ASAP.

The commercial talks about the competitive spirit of the Dodge brothers and goes back to 1914 or so, then proceeds to show the two Dodge brothers acting like total asshats and street racing in games of chicken in some spectacularly stupid, dangerous and idiotic driving "through the years," in varying Dodge models, whooping it up, nearly killing themselves and oncomers multiple times.

The commercial ends on a surge of "uplifting" music while culminating in two Dodge models (I think the Charger and Challenger or something), then the voiceover solemnly pledges to continue the brothers' "spirit" of competition. The two brothers whoop it up again, then go zooming off to endanger thousands more farther up the road. The end.

Did this bother anyone else? Yes, it shows off the cars, but in an utterly irresponsible way. It's certainly not in the best of taste, and the whole idea that a car manufacturer is actually celebrating street racing as somehow symbolizing the company's healthy "spirit of competition" is just asinine.

I realize what I sound like. But it bugged me enough to post. (And thank you, I feel better.)

• Love 8

There's a Dodge commercial that just got a lot of play during the Golden Globes, and it filled me with so much rage I had to come here and post ASAP.

The commercial talks about the competitive spirit of the Dodge brothers and goes back to 1914 or so, then proceeds to show the two Dodge brothers acting like total asshats and street racing in games of chicken in some spectacularly stupid, dangerous and idiotic driving "through the years," in varying Dodge models, whooping it up, nearly killing themselves and oncomers multiple times.

The commercial ends on a surge of "uplifting" music while culminating in two Dodge models (I think the Charger and Challenger or something), then the voiceover solemnly pledges to continue the brothers' "spirit" of competition. The two brothers whoop it up again, then go zooming off to endanger thousands more farther up the road. The end.

Did this bother anyone else? Yes, it shows off the cars, but in an utterly irresponsible way. It's certainly not in the best of taste, and the whole idea that a car manufacturer is actually celebrating street racing as somehow symbolizing the company's healthy "spirit of competition" is just asinine.

I realize what I sound like. But it bugged me enough to post. (And thank you, I feel better.)

Yeah, but I'm inching further into my forties so it's getting harder to trust my judgement. But, assholes are assholes in any era.

• Love 3

I don't get why two men still having breastfeeding and bedwetting issued by trying to one up each other is necessarily the spirit of success in terms of building a company together.  In fact to me it sounds more like the trope Twix should have employed instead of after how many years?  Suddenly recreating the whole left and right side Twix ads.  Another stupid campaign. 

But yes I hate the road racing.  Somewhere in one of string theories alternate universes a Final Destination type twist involved a huge multi-trailered semi plowing fierily through at least one if not both. 

• Love 3

I know Monsanto is the ultimate low-hanging fruit for anything that enrages, but I'm really annoyed by their commercials for "bigger discussions about food" and being "a part of the conversation."  Monsanto goes out of its way to control or silence conversations.

• Love 8

Speaking of which:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3_IE0W9j84

Everyone else's snacks have to be altered just so these self-centered two don't get tempted. 

OMG, the rage I felt on seeing that yogurt commercial! Those bitches were shrinking everyone elses snacks so they wouldn't be tempted themselves--what gives them the right?? If I want to eat a 1,000 calorie cookie while you sit there with your crappy yogurt, that's my business.

I thought she shrunk their snacks so SHE wouldn't be tempted to eat their snacks. What a bitch!

• Love 1

The new KFC (? can't remember that's how much the commercial annoys the hell out of me) commercial.   Grandma sends the guy $5, tells him to spend it on something nice.   So he goes around looking at fast food to spend it on.

The ad agency should have saved this idea for Five Below or some other retailer of low-priced items.

• Love 1

I know Monsanto is the ultimate low-hanging fruit for anything that enrages, but I'm really annoyed by their commercials for "bigger discussions about food" and being "a part of the conversation."  Monsanto goes out of its way to control or silence conversations.

I'm pretty sure Unilever has a similar ad  As well as a similar list of not so secret crimes against humanity.  Talk all you want the both of you.  Until you admit how much a part of that very problem it is meaningless to me. 

Funny how the rotation of said ads, joining those of GE and Exxon and the natural gas concern was so heavy before and following the mid term elections.  It makes you relaly wonder just how ridiculously evil these companies must do that they feel the need to tell everyone with just odd general ads how warm and fuzzy they really are.   No really.  They are.  Just ask them and the multi million ad campaign they created to tell.

• Love 4

GET OFF MY LAWN!  (Shakes fist at sky)

Yeah, I hear you.  Stupid ad.  Irresponsible.  And doesn't even tell the story right.  Wonder what the other concepts were that they shot down? 

• Love 3

Tbh, imo they're not 'low-hanging fruit'... people have every right to be enraged at them. They're messing up crops, seeds, etc. And that isn't good for anyone. GMO anything isn't good. Honestly I try to do my best to try to avoid it.

Just saw that ad on tv and it made me want to throw something at my tv. It kind of reminded me of the ones that the ads that the MPAA put out about Piracy and how they care about their workers jobs. They never have.

Same with Monsanto, like you said, they don't want people to talk about it. They want to control the conversation and where it goes. And that's where the ads come in.

• Love 8

Tbh, imo they're not 'low-hanging fruit'... people have every right to be enraged at them. They're messing up crops, seeds, etc. And that isn't good for anyone. GMO anything isn't good. Honestly I try to do my best to try to avoid it.

I totally agree, AntiBeeSpray.  They also destroy farmers' lives and have too much influence in government.  I just meant that the particular commercials were annoying for reasons other than the fact that Monsanto was putting advertisements on TV.

Add this from heebiejeebie:

I'm pretty sure Unilever has a similar ad  As well as a similar list of not so secret crimes against humanity.  Talk all you want the both of you.  Until you admit how much a part of that very problem it is meaningless to me. 

Funny how the rotation of said ads, joining those of GE and Exxon and the natural gas concern was so heavy before and following the mid term elections.  It makes you relaly wonder just how ridiculously evil these companies must do that they feel the need to tell everyone with just odd general ads how warm and fuzzy they really are.   No really.  They are.  Just ask them and the multi million ad campaign they created to tell.

People still buy stock in these companies.  These PR ads are trying to sway future investors.

• Love 4

Don't forget about Monsanto's Magnum Opus, RoundUp, the kills-it-all weed killer that wipes out wildlife (and maybe ALL life).  Want to scare yourself?   Read about Round-Up.

I saw something on tv about that awhile back. Scared the heck out of me O_O.

• Love 3

Some intelligent folks have said that autism is linked to that awful product, AntiBeeSpray.

Yea I just found an article about that tonight, Bratinella. That's scary too. The special I saw dealt more with Monsanto's past history, which is just as bad.

A link to a search about it

Best Meal's site lists some information about it. Really scary stuff tbh. Given their history in WWII, they give a new meaning to the word Roundup. That's what me and some friends think. It's frightening. They're not doing anything for anyone.

Saw Food, Inc and it was a good documentary dealing with them. The World According to Monsanto is another one.

• Love 2

The new Geico ad where people are at the zoo yelling at the camels "HUMP DAY!!!! GUES WHAT DAY IT IS!!!!!  MIKE, MIKE, MIKE, MIKE, MIKE, MIKE!!! GUESS WHAT DAY IT IS etc......" I can't change the channel fast enough!!!!

The nationwide one where the guy is humming the little ditty for the product over and over and making up his own lyrics for it. I know that want you to get an earworm for but I can't find the remote fast enough to mute it.

• Love 2

The new Geico ad where people are at the zoo yelling at the camels "HUMP DAY!!!! GUES WHAT DAY IT IS!!!!!  MIKE, MIKE, MIKE, MIKE, MIKE, MIKE!!! GUESS WHAT DAY IT IS etc......" I can't change the channel fast enough!!!!

"It's not even Wednesday."

"Let it go, Phil."

• Love 2

The nationwide one where the guy is humming the little ditty for the product over and over and making up his own lyrics for it. I know that want you to get an earworm for but I can't find the remote fast enough to mute it.

I like that one (but, then, I usually like Peyton Manning's commercials ... except with that asshat from Papa John's), and I sing along with him.  "Losing feeling in my toes."

The Hump Day ad is back?  It amused me the first couple of times, but I quickly reached lunging for remote levels of annoyance.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

The Hump Day ad is back?  It amused me the first couple of times, but I quickly reached lunging for remote levels of annoyance.

No, worse. You know how Geico likes to use its spokescharacters over and over? This is a new ad in which people are shouting the original camel's lines at a couple of camels in a zoo. Over and over. It couldn't be more obnoxious if it tried. Well, actually, it is trying and succeeding.

• Love 4