Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Ubiquitous said:

Why are they making pancakes for everyone every Sunday?

I think it's just a way for people in the apartment building to come together and socialize--which is fine if said people really want to do it, as opposed to having some little girl knocking on your door every Sunday until you finally give in. 

• Love 6
On ‎04‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:41 PM, bigskygirl said:

The commercial for the car where the couple keeps fooling around in a car and has to update their vehicle because they have another kid drives me bonkers (sorry bad pun.) I feel like saying get a room, use birth control or both.

While we're supposed to think that's what's going on, I thought the bit at the end where the car was rocking because the kids were jumping around sort of implied that it wasn't sex happening in the car.  Or, not every time, at least.  But I could be wrong.

22 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I guess, but the Sonic Morons are not selling it very well.

I think we can all agree on that.

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

While we're supposed to think that's what's going on, I thought the bit at the end where the car was rocking because the kids were jumping around sort of implied that it wasn't sex happening in the car.  Or, not every time, at least.  But I could be wrong.

I think every time but the last, they were having sex in the car - it would show the car rocking, then them at the dealership, getting a new, larger car.  At the end, in the van-type thing, it was the kids playing in the car, but not the earlier times.

• Love 3

Bad driver! Bad ad agency!

https://consumerist.com/2017/04/25/hyundai-will-review-tv-ad-featuring-profoundly-irresponsible-driver/

"Hyundai has decided to give some additional thought to a new ad for the Sonata where the driver gleefully tests the car’s semi-autonomous safety features by behaving like a reckless buffoon."

Bet that driver uses Liberty Mutual. "You totaled your brand new car. Nobody told you the automatic braking system wasn't meant to be a challenge."

• Love 18

For the record, I love frozen custard and I love concretes, they are delicious! I haven't tried Sonic's, but if I had a car and could get there, I certainly would try it. The nearest frozen custard place is about 7 miles from where I live, Sonic is about 2 miles.

And to be honest, I don't really mind the Sonic guys, the dumb one has definitely gotten dumber over the years though.

I forgot the main reason I came here tonight! I just saw the grossest ad and of course I have to share it in all it's grossness! It's for a product called Blackout - for removing blackheads, I looked at the screen at just the wrong second, just in time to see someone squeezing a pimple. I may have or I may not have ever done that myself, but I really don't want to watch anyone doing it.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 4
58 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

And to be honest, I don't really mind the Sonic guys, the dumb one has definitely gotten dumber over the years though.

Even though he uses his smart phone every day...

• Love 3

I saw that VW commercial with the people doing it in their car for the first time.  It went on way longer than I was expecting.  I wonder if they thought it would be funnier the more kids the couple had, because it would be over-the-top?  But I just just thought it was an excessive amount of kids, and I wondered if these people had sex anywhere besides their car.

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

They just wanted to show as many of their cars as they could.

Without actually mentioning anything that would remind people of their other cars, like emissions.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

They just wanted to show as many of their cars as they could.

Well it shows how good a job they did of that.  I was paying too much attention to the story to even notice the cars.

Man in office, complaining that his A/C is broken. Turns out he's talking to his home insurance agent, and he's just baffled that a broken A/C is not covered. The ad is for some kind of extended warranty service, but I'm just thinking "the Liberty Mutual attitude towards insurance is spreading!" especially with the way the insurance agent is all perky when she turns him down, as if the only reason it's not covered is he "bought the wrong kind of insurance" instead of not grasping the concept of "expected wear and tear".

• Love 10
On 4/26/2017 at 11:30 PM, bilgistic said:

I hate the mother of the pregnant woman. *I'm* so happy? Um, it's not about you?

Admittedly, I would hate the commercial far less if it weren't played every 10 minutes on Hulu.

I will admit that if either of my kids told me they were pregnant, I would be happy.  I don't think it's so weird to be happy that one is going to be a grandma.

On 4/26/2017 at 11:52 AM, peacheslatour said:

I don't know about you but sand and gravel are not my go to's for smooth creamy deliciousness. 

Culver's Restaurants have Concrete Mixers - custard plus whatever you want to mix in it.  Living in a multiple-Culver's area I never gave much thought to the "concrete" name, but now thinking about it makes my teeth hurt.

• Love 6

That National Car Rental commercial with Patrick WhatHisName doing the self appendectomy?   I have to turn the channel every time it's on (and it seems to be on between every half inning of this ballgame) because the noises gross me out.  Not to mention the thought of an actual self appendectomy.  Yuck.  

And Shake Shack makes very tasty concretes! 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

Culver's Restaurants have Concrete Mixers - custard plus whatever you want to mix in it.  Living in a multiple-Culver's area I never gave much thought to the "concrete" name, but now thinking about it makes my teeth hurt.

Culver's was the first place I thought of, too.  I guess "concrete" is an easy name for ice cream like that because of the appearance, and how you can mix things in it?  Their concretes are delicious, btw!

• Love 3

There's a commercial for some restaurant, a buffet-type restaurant, with some gal singing about how wonderful it is - but she sings completely off key.  It makes my skin crawl.

And, it didn't work because I don't remember what restaurant is doing this to me.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

There's a commercial for some restaurant, a buffet-type restaurant, with some gal singing about how wonderful it is - but she sings completely off key.  It makes my skin crawl.

And, it didn't work because I don't remember what restaurant is doing this to me.

This seems to be becoming a thing.

Why??? It sure as hell doesn't make me want to buy whatever product they're shilling!

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

It's Ruby Tuesday. The same place where the woman was awkwardly rapping about the cheese on the salad bar.

• Love 8
On 4/26/2017 at 8:15 PM, Brattinella said:

I agree with your loathing of the Clear Blue Easy ad.  I also wonder why they don't have a realistic reaction to the test "oh, NOOOOOOOOO!"

Because not everyone considers pregnancy to be a curse to be avoided at all costs.  Some people actually look forward to becoming parents and even pray for the day when it finally does happen after years of trying and failing.

• Love 7
29 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Because not everyone considers pregnancy to be a curse to be avoided at all costs.  Some people actually look forward to becoming parents and even pray for the day when it finally does happen after years of trying and failing.

I do know that, and don't understand how I was misconstrued (everyone?).  But to consider adding THAT reaction to the test would be realistic, to a small degree.  Some people would consider an unplanned pregnancy a disaster.

• Love 20

It has always amused me that in real life home pregnancy test results are awaited by people hoping for a positive result, people who aren't entirely sure what result they're hoping for or how they're going to react, and people who spend those minutes promising the universe they will never, ever have sex again if it will just let that test turn up negative, yet in commercials, it's only the first group. 

And there's obviously some sense to that from a marketing perspective, to focus on happy users, but the product's selling points are about speed, accuracy, and ease of use, and that applies to everyone.  I'd love a commercial that incorporated a greater array of users, and especially love a humorous one that included someone from the third group.

• Love 21
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

It has always amused me that in real life home pregnancy test results are awaited by people hoping for a positive result, people who aren't entirely sure what result they're hoping for or how they're going to react, and people who spend those minutes promising the universe they will never, ever have sex again if it will just let that test turn up negative, yet in commercials, it's only the first group. 

And there's obviously some sense to that from a marketing perspective, to focus on happy users, but the product's selling points are about speed, accuracy, and ease of use, and that applies to everyone.  I'd love a commercial that incorporated a greater array of users, and especially love a humorous one that included someone from the third group.

Point taken.

27 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I agree completely. 

*Sorry, I responded to the wrong person with my other comment*

Edited by Brattinella
57 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The third one should use "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" for its background music :)

• Love 6
(edited)

Wasn't there a series of ads several years ago showing real couples(not actors!)finding out if they were expecting?  I seem to recall one having a negative test and being relieved because "it isn't the right time."

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, smittykins said:

Wasn't there a series of ads several years ago showing real couples(not actors!)finding out if they were expecting?  I seem to recall one having a negative test and being relieved because "it isn't the right time."

That's my memory also.

Yes!  I knew there was one where they showed someone who was relieved not to be pregnant, but I couldn't remember what exactly happened.  I don't remember if it was a series or just the one.

Saw the most recent Priceline one with the Negotiator's Valley Girl Daughter pitching the website solo. Ironically, the part of her starting to talk about some Vegas show that supposedly caused the audience to go to sleep mode was MORE interesting than than the rest of the commercial which actually touted the service.  I can't say I'm a fan of hers but let's hope that with her doing an ad solo that this means they're DONE with William Shatner!

(edited)

"Being comfortable in your own skin isn't about how you look. . . "

Says the  man with movie star features who hasn't visibly aged in two decades.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 14

I'm super annoyed by the commercial for  Dixie Paper Plates where a piece of lasagna is dropped out of thin air and smashes through the "subpar" plate but is caught by the far stronger Dixie plate. Who the hell is serving lasagna this way, that this commercial makes any sense? 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Blergh said:

Saw the most recent Priceline one with the Negotiator's Valley Girl Daughter pitching the website solo. Ironically, the part of her starting to talk about some Vegas show that supposedly caused the audience to go to sleep mode was MORE interesting than than the rest of the commercial which actually touted the service.  I can't say I'm a fan of hers but let's hope that with her doing an ad solo that this means they're DONE with William Shatner!

Isn't that the quite-famous-herself Kaley Cuoco?

• Love 6

And the scary Snyder's Pretzel lady ("Pretzels, baby!") is baaaack! She drives me crazy for two reasons: first, because she's terrifying and, second, because I know her from somewhere else but I can't place her (probably because of the bad wig). Her voice sounds exactly like the late Eileen Brennan.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

And the scary Snyder's Pretzel lady ("Pretzels, baby!") is baaaack! She drives me crazy for two reasons: first, because she's terrifying and, second, because I know her from somewhere else but I can't place her (probably because of the bad wig). Her voice sounds exactly like the late Eileen Brennan.

I like her.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, riley702 said:

Isn't that the quite-famous-herself Kaley Cuoco?

On 5/1/2017 at 11:44 AM, Blergh said:

I wouldn't know but she IS more appealing than Mr. Shatner , IMO. Not that this is the most clever or funny kind of ad but her alone is FAR better than him being anywhere around those ads.

I hate the Jergens tanning commercial where the obnoxious woman at the end says "I'm not here with anybody!" ... Shouldn't it be "I'm not here with anyone!"? I don't know, something about the wording pisses me off. It doesn't help that Hulu plays it a million times an hour (plus, that annoying Italian subway commercial, ugh).  

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, OrigamiNightmare said:

I hate the Jergens tanning commercial where the obnoxious woman at the end says "I'm not here with anybody!" ... Shouldn't it be "I'm not here with anyone!"? I don't know, something about the wording pisses me off. It doesn't help that Hulu plays it a million times an hour (plus, that annoying Italian subway commercial, ugh).  

The Jergens lotion lady creeps me the hell out! Where did you come from?  "The window".  They need to tone down the creep-factor a little.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, OrigamiNightmare said:

To me it's not the wording, but she puts the emphasis on the wrong syllable.

• Love 2
(edited)
14 hours ago, Brattinella said:

The Jergens lotion lady creeps me the hell out! Where did you come from?  "The window".  They need to tone down the creep-factor a little.

I thought it was funnier in the version where she answered "Phoenix."  That's Leslie Mann, a fairly well known actress.  (But apparently not here. LOL)  Her saying "I'm not here with anybody" is a pretty weird thing to say.  I can't imagine Leslie Mann being stalkerish or needy.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 3

I hate that commercial with Candace Cameron Bure and Charley the Tuna. It's just stupid. 

I'm sorry, a pouch filled with chemical-laden tuna is not lunch. It's cat food.

• Love 14