Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

There's an internet service commercial with a tiny house -- half a house, I think, is what the narration says -- and I just don't get it. The point is that even half a house can receive complete service like a full-size house. But why wouldn't it? Homes outside of commercials come in all kinds of sizes. Am I dumb?

And the bitchy dishwasher lady with the red alfredo sauce is standing in such a stupid way.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, riley702 said:

Argh! That stupid commercial that tries to tell you nice and kind mean different things can just go DIAF already. They mean the same thing! Stop trying to make this happen!

If it's any consolation, the product comes in a plastic wrapper so they can't claim to be kind/nice to the environment!

• Love 2
On February 8, 2017 at 9:13 PM, bilgistic said:

My mother lost about 70 pounds many years ago with Weight Watchers when they first had the points system. (She has since gained the weight back.) I asked her back then what they learned at the meetings.

I asked if they learned about nutrition, like how complex carbohydrates will keep you fuller than simple carbohydrates, which should be eaten in moderation. She asked me what a complex carbohydrate is. In summation, I gathered that Weight Watchers teaches people to count, not how to eat better.

The thing with WW is that it is, first and foremost a business. I was a Leader and TPTB were MUCH more interested in the bottom line than how much weight the members lost. We had a minimum goal of how much product we had to sell each meeting. And believe me, if we did not sell our quota, there was hell to pay. I used to tell my members if they ever saw that I was hawking products in the meeting, that I was being monitored and to make me look good. 

• Love 3
On 2/8/2017 at 8:46 PM, Ilovecomputers said:

Who wants a crunchy salad with just a hint of vinegar and the scent of chicken, and who wants a slice of pizza with the kids?

I noticed this a.m. that the Nutrisystem ad says their program includes pizza and chocolate. I think that's how they stay in business. If you eat their pizza and chocolate and lose weight, go off the program, eat pizza and chocolate and gain weight, you'd scurry back to the program.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ennui said:

I noticed this a.m. that the Nutrisystem ad says their program includes pizza and chocolate. I think that's how they stay in business. If you eat their pizza and chocolate and lose weight, go off the program, eat pizza and chocolate and gain weight, you'd scurry back to the program.

<Raises hand.>

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Blergh said:

If it's any consolation, the product comes in a plastic wrapper so they can't claim to be kind/nice to the environment!

Or to your body. I looked at the nutritional info on those bars - the ones I looked at were 190-200 calories, 120-130 calories from fat. No thanks! I consider a food like that to be empty calories.

• Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 5:14 PM, ennui said:

It occurred to me that these DNA commercials are really a sneaky way to collect data for a DNA database. Heck, felons kick up a fuss over DNA collection, but with the commercials, people can't wait to sign up and pay for the privilege.  *adjusts tinfoil hat*

Hee. I thought the same thing  bc it reminded me of a comedian who says he never tosses a soda can out in the bushes bc it might land near a hidden , as yet unknown, dead body and here we go. His DNA on the can beside the body and he's toast. :) 

• Love 6
44 minutes ago, ari333 said:

Hee. I thought the same thing  bc it reminded me of a comedian who says he never tosses a soda can out in the bushes bc it might land near a hidden , as yet unknown, dead body and here we go. His DNA on the can beside the body and he's toast. :) 

Hey ari333, are you the one who had a disturbed kid in your neighborhood?

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Hey ari333, are you the one who had a disturbed kid in your neighborhood?

Yes. I'll take long comments to small talk, but in short, the cops were there a couple of days ago and I saw the kid outside their apt packing some clothes into a garbage bag.  Maybe some type of detention happened.

• Love 1
On 2/8/2017 at 5:51 PM, Duke2801 said:

So glad I am not the only one.  I totally rock out to that song when it comes on (mostly on the 80s station on Sirius XM).  It's definitely one of my jam-a-lams.  Therefore, I like that commercial. Love the "nailed it" at the end. 

I don't mind the Walgreens ad at all.  And I'm feeling their excitement in this ad. They ended up having a topless beach at our resort in Jamaica and it was sort of liberating to be on a mostly deserted beach and be "free." Anywho, I think these women in the ad are very attractive and don't look "elderly" at all. MY MIL is in great shape and super active and is 65; and they look younger than her.  I'd estimate them to be in their early 60s; possibly even late 50s.   

They're the same women that are in last year's Walgreen's commercial, getting ready to go to their 1966 high school reunion, which would make them about 67-68.

• Love 2

I'm new to this forum so I don't know if this commercial has been mentioned. Anyone else think the commercial with the fake beards on the deer and the New Zealanders saying they were idiots because they were scaring away the deer is stupid?

I think it's an insult to the kiwis.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, rcc said:

I'm new to this forum so I don't know if this commercial has been mentioned. Anyone else think the commercial with the fake beards on the deer and the New Zealanders saying they were idiots because they were scaring away the deer is stupid?

I think it's an insult to the kiwis.

I think it's funny. The point of the commercial is that small businesses can ship overseas with FedEx. I take it as a joke on hunters everywhere, not confined to NZ.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Snark Byte said:

They're the same women that are in last year's Walgreen's commercial, getting ready to go to their 1966 high school reunion, which would make them about 67-68.

I'm not speaking of the age that they are playing in the commercials.  I am speaking of the age that they appear in real life. 

But, hell, if they actually are 67-68 biologically....? I'll have what they're having. Because they look frickin' fantastic. 

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 4

I love cashews and I LOVE coconut, but cashew coconut milk sounds horrific.  Go away soy milk.

But that's not why I am here.  For some reason, I have a visceral hatred for Zillow ads.  As soon as I hear that plinkety-plonky piano music I get irritated.  Especially the one with the woman who cooks.  Why is it funny that the baby likes bananas?!?

• Love 11
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I love cashews and I LOVE coconut, but cashew coconut milk sounds horrific.  Go away soy milk.

But that's not why I am here.  For some reason, I have a visceral hatred for Zillow ads.  As soon as I hear that plinkety-plonky piano music I get irritated.  Especially the one with the woman who cooks.  Why is it funny that the baby likes bananas?!?

Plus why is she making banana bread for a baby? Usually you just mash up a banana and feed that to the baby.

• Love 8

These new Little Debbie Mini Muffins for breakfast for active kids and busy moms? Holy cow, moms and dads. Fix your children a nutritious breakfast before school! Get up 15 minutes earlier to give your kids a good start to the day. This makes me crazy since I made a cooked breakfast for my two kids every morning before work. I know not everyone can do that but a bowl of good cereal with sliced bananas and a slice of whole grain toast only takes 5 minutes! This sets a terrible example for families in my opinion.

• Love 10
58 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

These new Little Debbie Mini Muffins for breakfast for active kids and busy moms? Holy cow, moms and dads. Fix your children a nutritious breakfast before school! Get up 15 minutes earlier to give your kids a good start to the day. This makes me crazy since I made a cooked breakfast for my two kids every morning before work. I know not everyone can do that but a bowl of good cereal with sliced bananas and a slice of whole grain toast only takes 5 minutes! This sets a terrible example for families in my opinion.

Boy howdy! Let's fill 'em up with empty calories and processed foods! Whole grain cereal with fresh fruit - how hard is that? No wonder we have a child obesity problem.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Plus why is she making banana bread for a baby? Usually you just mash up a banana and feed that to the baby.

I took that as saying she has lots of bananas to use up since the baby probably doesn't eat enough to use them all up, and banana bread is the traditional way to use up leftover bananas.

• Love 3

Is that the commercial where the "baby" looks like he is at least two years old?  Because it bugs the hell out of me.  I hate when people refer to toddlers or preschoolers as babies.  And wouldn't most parents use the child's name rather than saying "the baby".  

• Love 3

I recently found an ancient photo of me - I was three - and my grandmother had written on the back, "Infant Lucy."

I think "the baby" is probably "the baby" until the next baby comes along. I've always wondered when the cutoff was for measuring the child as "long" vs "tall."  (Unless, of course, your name is Sally & your 'dating' Uncle John behind Aunt Mary's back. Then, you're long and tall.)

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I think "the baby" is probably "the baby" until the next baby comes along.

My mother's cousin was the youngest child in his family, and he was called Babe until the day he died at 75 years old.  Growing up, I called him "Uncle Babe".

• Love 4

For some reason, I have a visceral hatred for Zillow ads.  As soon as I hear that plinkety-plonky piano music I get irritated.  Especially the one with the woman who cooks.  Why is it funny that the baby likes bananas?!?

THIS! Why does the fact that a baby likes bananas require such Joker-ish laughter?

• Love 6
18 hours ago, Gam2 said:

I'm with you on the processed crap. That said, there certainly are "grab-and-go" options available that don't involve making breakfast every single morning; but they might involve taking 10 or 15 minutes on a weekend. You can make your own healthy granola and bag it up in Ziploc baggies; you can make oatmeal squares and portion them out for the week; you can even make a big pot of steel cut oats that will last throughout the week.

At the very least, there are Kind bars, Lara bars, etc that are premade, but not sugar and fat bombs like Little Debbie. 

• Love 2

These new Little Debbie Mini Muffins for breakfast for active kids and busy moms? Holy cow, moms and dads. Fix your children a nutritious breakfast before school! Get up 15 minutes earlier to give your kids a good start to the day.

Our daughter says that almost every kid in her class brings a Lunchables.  We bought her these bento boxes with separate compartments so she can take fresh fruit, hummus and carrot sticks, Special K, etc.  Takes <5 minutes to put it together for the next morning.

• Love 6
49 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Our daughter says that almost every kid in her class brings a Lunchables.  We bought her these bento boxes with separate compartments so she can take fresh fruit, hummus and carrot sticks, Special K, etc.  Takes <5 minutes to put it together for the next morning.

Smart. I tried to do that with little plastic containers but he kept losing them. We went back to Lunchables. Expensive, not particularly healthy but better than the greasy crap they served at school.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Wait, what is this? Is it a hybrid of two different things (or three with the soy)? I'm sorry--bad day and I am confused. I think.

I love me some cashew milk (coconut milk and soy milk less so, although I am not actively opposed to either), but I don't think I've ever even considered putting them together.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

I like milk milk.

If cashew milk tastes anything like almond milk, ain't no way I'm drinking it.

As for soy milk, even if I could stand the taste of it, the annoying ass commercials (the one with the Silk man and that seizure inducing music video one) would keep me from ever partaking of it.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 6

I don't drink just a glass of milk in any format--never liked it on its own--but if I need it for cereal (rarely) or a recipe, it's definitely almond or coconut (which does not really taste like a coconut in the common sense). Honestly, I was never sure why anyone other than a baby animal drinks real milk--oh, how I wish I knew how to articulate that back when I was little and forced to do so! Not that it would have gotten me anywhere, of course.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I don't drink just a glass of milk in any format--never liked it on its own--but if I need it for cereal (rarely) or a recipe, it's definitely almond or coconut (which does not really taste like a coconut in the common sense). Honestly, I was never sure why anyone other than a baby animal drinks real milk--oh, how I wish I knew how to articulate that back when I was little and forced to do so! Not that it would have gotten me anywhere, of course.

Being poor and raised on powdered milk gives you a healthy respect and desire for whole milk.  *Or me, anyway.

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 8

In university, my roommates and I bought groceries together. We soon realized how expensive it was to buy milk for 4 adults (2 male), and I was outvoted in the decision to switch to powdered.  I bought my own milk, wrote my name on the carton and marked the level each time I used it.   That stuff ain't milk; you know it, I know, and God knows it. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

Being poor and raised on powdered milk gives you a healthy respect and desire for whole milk.  *Or me, anyway.

My mother finally  mixed it half and half. If  you got it   very cold you could not taste   that  funky powdered  milk taste . 

• Love 4

Milk was always an adventure in our house.   Five kids, so keeping up with the demand was a tall order.   For awhile my mother and her friend next door started going to a local dairy and buying milk in three-gallon dispensers with a spigot (like the plastic Poland Spring water dispensers they have in the supermarket these days) but the more milk there was in the fridge, the more of it we drank so all the anticipated savings of buying in bulk went out the window.   Next, the two of them decided powdered milk was the way to go.   I have a feeling powdered milk was a fad in the 1970s, kind of like wigs.  Anyway, we found ourselves subjected to a half-and-half powdered milk regime for several months.  Mom would mix it up in a Tupperware pitcher.   I remember how the resulting pseudo-milk foamed up when you poured it into the glass.   Milk shouldn't have a head.  That lasted about three months before we went back to whole milk, but doled out in rations at dinnertime with a side of guilt about how much milk we all drank.   "Maybe I should buy a cow!"   And what was milk then?  A dollar a gallon, maybe?   Here it's $4.59 a gallon now.

• Love 5

I weaned myself off of whole milk several years ago, I use 2%, but cannot go to 1%. Since I only use milk on cereal, or gravy for sausage biscuits and gravy or once in a while a glass with brownies or chocolate cake or chili, it's not a big deal. But I keep close track of the milk I buy because of living with my sister. She will drink a gallon in a day and "hates" anything other than whole milk. Except mine mysteriously goes awfully fast when I'm only having a bowl of cereal once a day. I think part of it is that she wakes up hungry and doesn't want to cook because all the dishes are dirty and she'd have to wash them. So she drinks a big glass of milk and goes back to bed for another 12 hours. My sister has mental health issues. She doesn't grasp the little thing about if you wash the dishes after you use them, it takes 5 minutes and they are clean. I had to start keeping my own dishes in my room because I'd never have clean dishes. 

But to bring things back to commercials, I can't stand when some one is bopping around and dancing to some weird techno music and I guess that should go to as seen on tv, some speaker thing that you put your cell phone on to get great musical sounds.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I like milk milk.

So do I, but my gut doesn't. Sigh. I'm pretty used to soy milk and almond milk now. I don't buy almond milk from that little walking, talking almond though.

Guess what, everyone? There's another new Cottonelle commercial with that British woman talking to people about how rippled toilet paper will "clean better". NO ONE ASKED FOR ANOTHER ONE OF THESE COMMERCIALS, COTTONELLE.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

As for soy milk, even if I could stand the taste of it, the annoying ass commercials (the one with the Silk man and that seizure inducing music video one) would keep me from ever partaking of it.

If that's the one where that guy is taking a video of himself going on and on about how much he loves Silk, then I can't begin to say how much I hate that commercial. It's all because for about 3-4 months that was the only commercial YouTube would show before every single video I wanted to watch.

• Love 2