Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I thought the point of Terminator 2 is that you really should have technology on your side, but it should be the older, bulkier, stuff; don't trust the newer, trimmer, model.

Also the point of Battlestar Galatica!

• Love 2

Seriously, guys?  You got "breast" from that commercial?

I'm gonna go consult with hubby, see if he gets that too.  Maybe we're supposed to?

Maybe she demanded a "good credit" discount on her boobs and ended up with lopsided ones.  What a life lesson!

• Love 5

I just saw a Fan Duel commercial... again... and it reminded me of the Simpsons episode "Lisa the Greek":

Homer:  Daddy's friend Moe promised to give him $50 if the Dolphins won.
Lisa:  You made a bet?

Homer:  I wouldn't call it a bet.  It's a little thing daddies do to make football more exciting.
Lisa:  What could be more exciting than the savage ballet of pro football?

Homer:  Well, you know.  You like ice cream, don't you? Don't you like ice cream better when it's covered with hot fudge and mounds of whipped cream, chopped nuts and those crumbled-up cookie things they mash up? Mmm crumbled-up cookie things.
Lisa:  So gambling makes a good thing even better?

Homer:  That's right!

(Emphasis mine.)  Isn't that pretty much what one of the guys in the commercial says?  

• Love 5

On this day, Oct. 21, 2015, being "Back to the Future Day," if I had a time machine, I'd go back in time and do everything in my power to keep Montell Jordan from selling the rights of "This is How We Do It" to Dish Network for their earwormy commercials.

• Love 6

There are a couple car commercials (I don't know for what, so fail right away) that suggest you should purchase their vehicles because they feature wifi and will pacify your kids, otherwise they will be noisy, obnoxious brats.  (One tike chants "Chocolate chip!  Chocolate chip!")  It pisses me off that the concept is that good parents buy cars that please their precious little snowflakes.  I don't know if it's the same mfr as the one in the commercial where the kids choose a van based on movie screens or not, but it's the same idea.  

• Love 5

There are a couple car commercials (I don't know for what, so fail right away) that suggest you should purchase their vehicles because they feature wifi and will pacify your kids, otherwise they will be noisy, obnoxious brats.  (One tike chants "Chocolate chip!  Chocolate chip!")  It pisses me off that the concept is that good parents buy cars that please their precious little snowflakes.  I don't know if it's the same mfr as the one in the commercial where the kids choose a van based on movie screens or not, but it's the same idea.  

This has been going on for a while now, I remember one a few years back where we were supposed to select a car based on what fifth graders (in the commercial) considered cool.

Awwww shit....this little fucker.....this commercial makes my blood boil

• Love 3

Isn't this pretty much how ALL kids are now?

Well than this might as well be an ad for birth control.  Because no way am I having some bratty ass kid snarking on me.  He can walk his little emo ass to school.

• Love 14

I see FanDuel has settled on a spokesdouche to aggressively spit sports cliches at us. He may not confess to being a douche, but every follicle of his facial hair whispers it..."This guy's a douche." As he struts about commanding us to get off the sidelines and get some, I realize that FanDuel has stumbled across the Ur-douche, the everydouche, the superdouche. He is the one douche to rule them all and in the doucheness bind them. Your move, Draft Kings.

• Love 7

I actually love the idea of in car wi if, so that doesn't bother me.

But what does bother me is that damn zillow commercial where basically they let the kid pick out the house based on a damn treehouse in the back yard. You can build a damn treehouse pretty much anywhere. Idiots.

I get the general idea of the commercial, but I just can't get by that point. Let's let our kid pick out our house, and based on something we could easily add to any house we buy that has a backyard tree

• Love 5

I don't know if it's the same mfr as the one in the commercial where the kids choose a van based on movie screens or not, but it's the same idea.  

I originally read "mfr" as an abbreviation for motherfucker and laughed. Some of those manufacturers are motherfuckers. Good rant.

• Love 8

Yeah I am not telling the whole world every time I order a pizza by actually putting it in a tweet.   I'll call or use the online order so it's just between me and the NSA.

Also, regarding writing checks -- nothing I hate more than people who get all the way up to the cashier, all their items checked out then they start digging out their wallet.   Like having to pay was a HUGE surprise.   "Oh you mean I have to give you money after standing in this line forever?   The line is not to just walk out of the store with the items?"

In my part of the world, most of the people who still write checks are quite elderly (and I say this as an officially old person myself), which means that everything takes extra time anyway.  And they watch the ring-up with the eagle eye of death for a mistake, so of course they can't have the check and pen out and ready until after that is over.  I have been known to tell people behind me to memorize my face and never get in line behind me again because I have an infallible instinct for choosing the check-out with the person bearing 1,000 coupons, or a check that won't clear, or a paycheck to cash, anything that will add plenty of extra minutes for my hair to turn grey(er) and my blood pressure to mount and people behind me to grind their teeth audibly. 

• Love 5

I'm starting to think that Liberty Mutual merits a hate thread of their very own. I have hated almost every campaign they've done, going back to the Hem commercials years ago. Those ones seemed intent on telling us all that we need to take responsibility, no shit. But I would kind of like my insurance co. to take some freaking responsibility too. These new ones in front of the statue are making me so ticked off, I stay grouchy for way too long after I've seen them. And they are played constantly!!!!

• Love 5

The woman from the YES hair removal device commercial makes me stabby. She hates waxing, but I want to tell her I hate her obnoxious acting and voice more.

I truly don't understand the appeal of Fran Drescher.  She is a very good-looking woman, keeps herself in shape, but that VOICE!  Can she speak without talking through her nose?

• Love 5

Ok this is shallow.

I hate that chicken broth commercial in which the woman says, "I make the best chicken NeeYOO-dle soup"

Who says NeeYOO-dle?

Heh Now I feel like Stewie and Brian on Family Guy with the "Cool Whip" debate. :)

hWat? :-)

So, whats the hustle here -- do you pay to get onto the site, is it like Ebay where the site takes a percentage of the sale price?

I feel like any site luring older people with the promise of $2.53 IPhones has to be hustle-y

They're called "penny auction" and yes, they're a total rip off. They make their money by charging you each time you bid, plus, if memory serves, they're not obligated to give the item to the winner.

• Love 4

I truly don't understand the appeal of Fran Drescher.  She is a very good-looking woman, keeps herself in shape, but that VOICE!  Can she speak without talking through her nose?

I think that is mostly just her "schtick". I've seen her on interviews and the accent/voice isn't nearly so exaggerated.

• Love 5

Dear Kay Jewelers,

There is no such thing as "Engagement Season." It's obnoxious enough that you have turned every holiday into a "go into debt to buy diamonds" event, you don't need to make up another.

I just saw one (not sure of the brand) that says something like "you're marrying the love of your life AND your best friend, so you need two big honkin' diamonds in your ring!"

• Love 8

I think that is mostly just her "schtick". I've seen her on interviews and the accent/voice isn't nearly so exaggerated.

I read a self-help book once by a speech therapist. She actually worked with Drescher to help her lose the accent, but she made more money with it. Sort of like Sophia Vegara.

Edited by 90PercentGravity
  • Love 3

Then yall steer clear of lemon meringue pie, blackberry cobbler and ghost pepper delight! My daughter does actually like the orange and cream (like creamsicles) but shes only 10 yrs old. My new fav is the Yoplait Plenti Greek with the seeds and flax and grains... years back they used to make a similar product called "breakfast yogurt" It was awesome! My man HATES IT--he says he like Yoplait!   (hahahhaha). Oh well, Kroger here gives it for free every other month it seems in their weekly freebie coupon.

I got some free Plenti yogurt recently and yes, it reminded me of "breakfast yogurt". I liked it until I realized it was made by Yoplait. Ha ha.

ok I made the ghost pepper up. but its as ridiculous.  Which brings me to Lays flavor campaign!!!

BOOO-YAAAA

Reuben? Chicken and Waffle? Biscuits and Gravy, ect​

I need someone clever with Photoshop to change the "biscuits and gravy" one...

This commercial makes me stabby.  Why is it wrong for a father to play with his daughters?

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/AL8x/papa-murphys-pizza-re-bold-your-man

At least he didn't accidentally wash himself with "vagina shampoo"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k8iaCjSiBQ

I just read that the black hamburger buns cause green feces.

They do, and I have photographic evidence. :-)

• Love 3

I just saw one (not sure of the brand) that says something like "you're marrying the love of your life AND your best friend, so you need two big honkin' diamonds in your ring!"

Probably not Jared, not unless there were a bunch of random strangers gawping in amazement when he showed her the ring.

• Love 4

She can, but it takes effort, but she's more famous for it. Her natural voice when she's not "on" is less severe than what she uses when she acts. It's her calling card. People pay her because they want to hear the voice. But she can also speak in a much more neutral accent, and has done so occasionally on her various sitcoms, usually as a punchline. She hasn't needed to make that her most-of-the-time voice so she doesn't.
  • Love 1

There's some new Chevy commercial I've seen a bunch this weekend that pisses me off.  They bring in a group of "Real People, Not Actors" into a room, and the guy tells them it's a market research thing, and takes all of their cell phones so they can take pictures or record anything being discussed.  He then proceeds to drop them in a running wood chipper, spraying cell phone bits across the room.  I don't get what destroying someone's property has to do with selling crappy Chevys, I've long since muted or switched channels, and I don't know if it's a trick and they don't really destroy the phones, but if I were one of those "real people" in the commercial, they wouldn't be able to air my segment - I don't think they would want to show a clip of me shouting "You frigging moron..." while I repeatedly smashed a chair on the guy's head...

I hate that ad, and the other where he's throwing pingpong balls or eggs at people. I despise douchy "street magicians" like him.

This really made me think.  I've never seen an ad for scented ball wash.  Do guys not have to worry about picking the right perfumed ball wash for night and day like us ladies and our gross stinky "V"s?  How are they going to feel confident enough to ask for raises or even just go grocery shopping if Axe doesn't get on this right away?  Especially if they are following that English bint's advice and going cah-mahn-doh.  Guys, your boss doesn't want to deal with your stinky schweaty balls while doling out your cost of living increase.

Isn't that what Axe body spray is for?

• Love 3

I was going to say, replace Fran Drescher with Sofia Vergara and "speaking through her nose" with "screaming in an exaggerated accent" and you have my personal irritant, but someone beat me to it upthread.  I've also read that Leah Remini spent years losing her Brooklyn/Queens/whatever accent only to be cast on King of Queens and have to haul it out again for the next eight or nine years.

• Love 4

Heh. Can we get a speech therapist for Michael Rapaport? I swear I need closed captions half the time with him. [/OT]

------

There is a new GROSS ad campaign from a mousetrap maker that features "dead" mice. Because, apparently, once we've killed the suckers, we need to do things with the carcasses besides trash them and get them far away from our homes.

And yes, I'm aware there are people who use carcasses in art/taxidermy, but I pretty sure that THAT (tiny) audience is mutually excluded from the consumers who actually want to get rid of vermin.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 3

And yes, I'm aware there are people who use carcasses in art/taxidermy, but I pretty sure that THAT (tiny) audience is mutually excluded from the consumers who actually want to get rid of vermin.

I'd kind of hope that taxidermy artists aren't using the disease-ridden vermin from traps. Ew.

• Love 3

Don't you all get a kick out of all these commercials for medication, and when they give the adverse reactions, they always say, "Don't take this if you're allergic to it or any of it's ingredients.".  Hmmmm, don't you actually have to take the medicine to know  if you're allergic?  In that same vein, the ambulance chasers who say "If you've done so and so, and have died from taking this drug", I'd like to be there when the dead person  contacts them for a lawsuit.  

There's a new commercial for something, I just can't remember what it is, but it's with fingers covered with white stuff?  I don't what to say what I thought of when I saw that white covered finger.  it's gross.  

• Love 3

There's a new commercial for something, I just can't remember what it is, but it's with fingers covered with white stuff?  I don't what to say what I thought of when I saw that white covered finger.  it's gross.  

Yoplait?

• Love 5

Dear Kay Jewelers,

There is no such thing as "Engagement Season." It's obnoxious enough that you have turned every holiday into a "go into debt to buy diamonds" event, you don't need to make up another.

And "every kiss" does not begin with Kay!

• Love 4
There's a new commercial for something, I just can't remember what it is, but it's with fingers covered with white stuff?  I don't what to say what I thought of when I saw that white covered finger.  it's gross.

Little Baby's ice cream?

Edited by Sandman87
  • Love 5