Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I did a double take on that warning. If you involuntarily fall asleep all day why would you take a sleeping pill? Of course, that's similar to warning post menopausal women not to use the concoctions for dried out hoohaws if they're pregnant.

Is this even a POSSIBLE thing?  Post-menopausal AND pregnant??

Oh, and our cats love boxes and brown paper bags!

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 2
OMG! Can you see Alex as Sleezy French Guy Alex? He'd be in hog heaven the way he loves to over pronounce foreign words, especially French.

Lord, that made me laugh!  Sleazy French Alex could wear a pencil-thin mustache and sport a beret.  His exaggerated French accent would put Pepe LePew to shame.

Is this even a POSSIBLE thing?  Post-menopausal AND pregnant??

Only in soap opera plots from the 1970's.

• Love 6

I'm not familiar with the blonde "model" in the newest Carl Jr's ad, but watching her flaunt her unsupported jiggly bits does not make me want to buy a hamburger.

Wait, that was a hamburger commercial???

• Love 4

The cat bed commercial confuses me.  The regular bed that the cat slept on and covered in fur is shown in color.  If it's not in black and white, I just don't see the problem.  

• Love 6

"Kitty Shack" is a dumb name, but that commercial cracked me up with it's ludicrousness. They dosed those cats with catnip--or soaked the Kitty Shacks in catnip-infused water--to get them to roll around on the mats like that. My cats would give one look at those things and turn their cat asses toward them. My bed is the kitty shack.

That "PURRfect!" nonsense needs to be shut down. No one over the age of three thinks that's funny, and they don't after the first time they hear it.

• Love 8

In the interest of science (okay, not really, but I used to hear that all the time in TV shows), I clicked on above-mentioned "evil men of history" link and the blonde girl's picture didn't show up at all. I think I've seen that photo before, and if I remember correctly, she was the victim of a serial killer. Bless her creepy-smiling little heart.

On behalf of the rest of us, thank you for taking one for the team.

Our cat has decided he likes sleeping in the bathroom sink.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 4

Do you think Pentatonix, one of the biggest bands in the country, was HIRED as individuals for that ad?

Pentatonix is one of the biggest bands in the country? Seriously? Then why have I never heard of them before seeing them on the Macy's commercial? And could they at least switch it up and do different songs? Hearing the same one over and over again is really my main beef with the ad.

Has anyone else seen the ad for Amazon.com with the little white doggie limping around with his back leg wrapped up in a bandage? Then some guy orders a baby bjorn and starts carrying him around. I can't figure out if that guy is the dog's owner, ignoring him for the first half of the commercial, or if the poor doggie is homeless (in which case, who bandaged his leg?) until he finds this guy. The commercial makes me sad.

I can't believe that hideous plastic surgery abomination is the formerly lovely Deidre Hall.

Morgan Fairchild looks worse.

• Love 6

Pentatonix is one of the biggest bands in the country? Seriously? Then why have I never heard of them before seeing them on the Macy's commercial? And could they at least switch it up and do different songs? Hearing the same one over and over again is really my main beef with the ad.

They have a platinum album, the number four album in the country last year (and the biggest selling Christmas album since 1962).  They have two gold records and a Grammy.  They sell out venues all over the world (they're huge in Asia as well as the US), and they're currently touring with Kelly Clarkson.  Their YouTube channel has over 8.5 million subscribers. Their most popular video, of 77 on their channel, has almost 150 million views, the one video alone.  Their second channel, in which two members of the group talk to the camera, has 1.5 million subscribers.

And why should they sing more than one song when it's only one commercial?

Edited by Rick Kitchen
  • Love 2

I'd never heard of Pentatonix or seen the Macy's ad, so I just looked it up.  It's fine, but I imagine the song snippet would get annoying pretty quickly with a little repetition.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

Call me an old fart but I've never of Pentatonix until I started reading posts about them.  I'll have to give them a listen on Spotify.

• Love 2

There's a commercial for Neulasta that I despise with the fury of a thousand suns. 

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/747M/neulasta-sisters

Big sister is looking out for little sister (one with cancer).  Big sis' condescending manner and her domination of the conversation seems so wrong.  Who is it with cancer anyway?  Little sister is allowed to chime in once of a while.  As anyone with cancer knows, just because we have cancer, it doesn't diminish our mental capacity or ability to articulate.  Big sister, just shut the fuck up!

• Love 4

They have a platinum album, the number four album in the country last year (and the biggest selling Christmas album since 1962).  They have two gold records.  They sell out venues all over the world (they're huge in Asia as well as the US), and they're currently touring with Kelly Clarkson.  Their YouTube channel has over 8.5 million subscribers. Their most popular video, of 77 on their channel, has almost 150 million views, the one video alone.  Their second channel, in which two members of the group talk to the camera, has 1.5 million subscribers.

And why should they sing more than one song when it's only one commercial?

I've never heard of them until now. But I've never heard of Weezer either.

Get off my lawn!

• Love 7

There's a commercial for Neulasta that I despise with the fury of a thousand suns. 

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/747M/neulasta-sisters

Big sister is looking out for little sister (one with cancer).  Big sis' condescending manner and her domination of the conversation seems so wrong.  Who is it with cancer anyway?

Since the fine print reads "Patient dramatization," I'm guessing neither one of them.  Pharmaceutical companies know that the alternate route to your wallet is through your heart (if the primary route of fear doesn't work).

• Love 2

I know about Pentatonix because they won The Sing Off a few years ago.  While I agree that they are successful for an acapella group, I wouldn't exactly call them one of the biggest bands in the country.  I would say they've built a nice niche audience.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 7

Me, either, Riley!!!!  And the (very) few times I've been asked to leave my shoes by the door I'm grossed out thinking about all the smelly, sweaty, athletes' feet people walking on the floors that I'm now walking on!  YUCK! 

Ok, wait a minute, I'm confused.  Presumably these are friends or at least acquaintances, or you wouldn't be at their house, but the first think you think is that they are diseased and don't practice general hygiene?

• Love 5

"Since the fine print reads "Patient dramatization," I'm guessing neither one of them. Pharmaceutical

companies know that the alternate route to your wallet is through your heart (if the primary route of fear doesn't work)."

That's a very good point, erik. Sloppy sentimentality or fear is what keeps advertising going.

• Love 3

I'm annoyed by this woman saying, "I had no idea I was going to have three children." That line would have worked well if the commercial featured triplets. I get that some children are surprises, but I don't want to hear about her multiple surprises in a Burlington Coat Factory commercial. You chose to have three kids, now go find some bargains. 

• Love 11

I'm annoyed by this woman saying, "I had no idea I was going to have three children." That line would have worked well if the commercial featured triplets. I get that some children are surprises, but I don't want to hear about her multiple surprises in a Burlington Coat Factory commercial. You chose to have three kids, now go find some bargains. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KItZQH1IdU

Perhaps someone needs to have "The Talk" with her...
  • Love 10

"And I didn't ever see a stork or anything!"

Rose, is that you?

So, we know that the Liberty Mutual commercials suck. I still like Flo, but a lot of others don't. But the ads for The General are a whole different level of stupid. There's this new one where a guy walks into a house two find two friends watching sports, and he's wearing one of those helmets because he just insured his car with the General. The two friends seem completely boggled by the idea that the guy saved money, and to be fair I can see why as none of them seem like rocket surgeons. Then the guy's wife comes into the room, and she asks why he's wearing an army helmet. As you do. What exactly is the point of the helmets? Do they give them out in real life when you buy a policy with their company? If not, why do all the people in their commercials sport one? Plus, the "acting" is generally (sorry) horrible. Like, infomercial bad. So irritating.

• Love 7

What exactly is the point of the helmets? Do they give them out in real life when you buy a policy with their company?

If they do, you probably have to be dropping a ton of cash with them to get it. All I've ever gotten from an insurance company is calendars and other cheap giveaways with their name printed on them.

• Love 1

The first time I encountered the Humira "Grocery Store" commercial, I was only listening to the TV.  I heard, "My moderate to severe chronic plaque psoriasis made a simple trip to the grocery store anything but simple."

I assumed the guy meant that the pain and/or bleeding prevented him from easily putting things into his cart, paying for his purchase, and then getting everything out to the car.  Then I saw the commercial.

The obstacle that complicated his shopping trip was a judgmental bitch who walked away from him and the food in his vicinity.

I'm having trouble verbalizing why "anything but simple" irritates me so much.  It's like the visuals say "emotional pain,"  but the narration just says "inconvenience."  I would not have been bothered by something like, "Even a simple trip to the grocery store could make me uncomfortable about my moderate to severe chronic plaque psoriasis."

• Love 4

The description for that commercial says:

"A man's plaque psoriasis made simple trips to the grocery store uncomfortable. After he talked to his dermatologist about HUMIRA, he was able to attend parties with newfound confidence."

Huh? I don't have psoriasis, but if I take Humira, can I go to parties with confidence? Usually, that requires copious amounts of Xanax and a week-long peptalk with myself beforehand. Also, I don't go to parties.

I'm pretty sure the problem with psoriasis in the commercial is the hateful woman's, not the man's. What sane person even acts like that?

• Love 12

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be vey happy if I saw a man with oozing sores all over his arms reaching over the salad bar. That said, I didn't see any sores on his arms, but it might be my sucky TV and cataracts.

• Love 6

I'm pretty sure the problem with psoriasis in the commercial is the hateful woman's, not the man's. What sane person even acts like that?

The one at the salad bar? She gave him a look that just barely tipped into disapproval and then walked away - and I agree with Ubiquitous: open sores and open salad bars aren't a good mix.

• Love 2

The one at the salad bar? She gave him a look that just barely tipped into disapproval and then walked away - and I agree with Ubiquitous: open sores and open salad bars aren't a good mix.

If I saw someone with big oozing sores on his arm at the salad bar, I'd probably go tell the store manager. Blech! And the guy could always wear long sleeves instead of getting a 13 year old girl bitch face on.

• Love 3

Not to mention they bring their grubby little crotchfruits in and let them loose.

Forget salad bars, have you been to Golden Corral lately? I can never understand WTF they would put a chocolate fountain in a place like that, with ten thousand bratty kids picking stuff up off the floor and dipping it in, or just their hands. Nasty.

And get off my lawn.

• Love 9
Forget salad bars, have you been to Golden Corral lately? I can never understand WTF they would put a chocolate fountain in a place like that, with ten thousand bratty kids picking stuff up off the floor and dipping it in, or just their hands. Nasty.

I don't know why anyone would have a chocolate fountain.  The chocolate turns to melted, waxy crap and no one can use it in a sanitary manner.  It's like a damn chocolate germ pool.  Eww.

And you kids get away from my car!

• Love 9

I don't have it, but I don't think psoriasis gives one "open sores" but rather dry, scaly patches. I know that's not appetizing, either, but it's not like the guy had leprosy and left an ear on the salad bar. Everydamnbody leaves skin cells everywhere. Let's all just agree not to use salad bars and maybe they'll go away.

• Love 16