Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I love Lucky Charms and they really ARE magically delicious but who the hell are they marketing to with the ad where the dude gives his lady a jewelry box full of Lucky Charms and she swoons over them?

I agree on the Lucky Charms commercial. The noises that woman makes fill me with the rage. I actually joined just to agree with that comment!

I also can't stand the new KFC Colonel.

• Love 4

There's a commercial with a family where one of the kids starts singing "what's with these homies dissing my girl," and the rest of them join in. I think it's for an SUV, but the song gets stuck in my head and I can't think.

• Love 4

Trending HIGH on my annoyance meter this week:

1,2,3 o'clock, 4 o'clock POP.....5,6,7 o'clock, 8 o'clock POP...we're gonna POP around the clock....tonight"

~Tide Pods

Thank you!  I thought I was nuts because I can't hit the mute button fast enough when this commercial comes on.  The song is just so irritating and her twirling throughout gets me pretty stabby too.

• Love 3

I will always picture Darrell Hammond as Bill Clinton (on SNL), so his Colonel Sanders is, to me, Bill Clinton impersonating Colonel Sanders. He does that same smarmy laugh.

Yes!  that's it exactly!  

• Love 3

I think its for Visa, but the ad where the woman is walking around the house during a birthday party and first sees: Some little sh** who has painted? a dog green, so the dog is shaking itself and spraying the room and the kid just looks at her while dumping a cup of the paint on the rug. Does the woman freak out no she smiles and orders a new rug. What!!???  That little crotchfruit would have been at the nearest dump site.

But she also sees cupcakes being thrown at windows and party clown (which usually wouldn't mind clown=creepy, but dude is just working) and she just  orders herself a spa day.  What kind of hell spawn party is this???  It makes me flamey.

• Love 2

Adding to the discussion about the annoyance over the Experian ads...  Why does having good credit entitle you to a bunch of free stuff?  If a retailer sees your loan as low-risk, they might offer some incentives to get your business, but they're not going to just keep handing you inventory until they lose money on the transaction.

Gah, I hate those ads, but the worst part is that these assholes' credit score is still good! I would LOVE to see those assholes discover their credit score is shit.

• Love 6

I think its for Visa, but the ad where the woman is walking around the house during a birthday party and first sees: Some little sh** who has painted? a dog green, so the dog is shaking itself and spraying the room and the kid just looks at her while dumping a cup of the paint on the rug. Does the woman freak out no she smiles and orders a new rug. What!!???  That little crotchfruit would have been at the nearest dump site.

But she also sees cupcakes being thrown at windows and party clown (which usually wouldn't mind clown=creepy, but dude is just working) and she just  orders herself a spa day.  What kind of hell spawn party is this???  It makes me flamey.

She must have bought one of those mattresses that make you not care about anything. She's sleeping so good that if the house burned down around her, it wouldn't faze her.

• Love 2

And I'll give up my directv when they pry it from my cold dead hands.

When I got home from work tonight, I found a love note from Time Warner Cable - for being a loyal customer, my rate is going up next month.  I think it's time I get off my butt and see what DirecTV has to offer.

• Love 4
(edited)

There's a commercial with a family where one of the kids starts singing "what's with these homies dissing my girl," and the rest of them join in. I think it's for an SUV, but the song gets stuck in my head and I can't think.

It is a 90's song by Weezer entitled "Buddy Holly". There are some previous comments on that one here, so you are not alone!!!!!

Edited by Flnurse
  • Love 1
(edited)
Something hardly has to be new to irk the heck of me.  Nazis still make me mad.

After two days of reading sad and rage-inducing stories about a dentist and a lion, I am so happy to say that this simple sentence made me laugh out loud.

I suspect, by your comments, that she uses my PET PEEVE of deliberate mispronunciations!

Deliberate mispronunciations like the ubiquitous "thiiiink you" (thank you) I always hear from young chicks on TV? Ugh, makes me think of Jennifer Love Hewitt's super-annoying "Neutrogena clinser" (cleanser) commercials from way back when.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4

It is a 90's song by Weezer entitled "Buddy Holly". There are some previous comments on that one here, so you are not alone!!!!!

Apparently I am alone in the 80s.  :)

• Love 5

Topical: the paper and box commercials are some of my favorite, especially the little boy writing paper airplane letters to his deployed dad.

There's another one with a young woman and her (apparent) grandpa visiting baseball stadiums - and I swear it's the faux French yoplait girl.

• Love 1
(edited)

Not "might."

You got me to thinking about a few others I super-love. I never realized that all of them, including "Buddy Holly," are directed by the same person. While I have never had a "type" in my choice of men, I apparently do for videos.

Apparently I am alone in the 80s.  :)

Aww, no--you've got cohorts here; I was an '80s teenager (though I have destroyed all the photos that prove it; I much prefer my grunge college years--and also kind of still look like those). Did you know that the video for A-Ha's "Take on Me" just turned 30?! 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6

Here's another commercial that has made me hate their product because of the horrible "music", and I use the term lightly. This assault on my ears has been on constantly for days. Die, Infiniti, die! I'll never buy one. It's actually worse than the "dissing homies" song that I hate with the fire of 1,000 suns. I'll never buy a Honda either.

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7P2Q/infiniti-qx60-summer-in-the-drivers-seat-summer-trips

• Love 2

I love the Weezer song (and all Weezer songs) but in that commercial, I feel annoyed by the mom making a point to sing all proper and shit. She's just trying so hard to sound good (and does not) and it reminds me of Jan from The Office after she went crazy and had a baby.

• Love 2

That an e-Harmony commercial will be annoying is a given, I know, but the one where the granddaughter drags her friend into her creepy grandpa's office drives me nuts.  This little boy is obsessed with finding a girlfriend, and instead of calling the parents to say they may want to get this kid some therapy, Creepy Grandpa encourages him and says when he’s 21, he can sign up with e-Harmony and find the love of his life.  Spouse hunting at 21?  What year is this?!

• Love 9

I love the Weezer song (and all Weezer songs)

I love "Buddy Holly" too.  The song isn't just great on its own; it also takes me back to the best year of my life.

We have to accept the depressingly inevitable phenomenon of advertisers' resurrecting a generation's pop culture artifacts in order to sell shit as that generation passes through each of life's stages.

Here are the kinds of PreviouslyTV posts we'll be seeing in the future:

I can't mute the TV fast enough when that "You're gonna hear me roar" COPD medicine commercial comes on!

or

They keep playing that "I'm bringing booty baaaaack" commercial for those adult incontinence ultra-thin briefs.  I think they used that song for baby diaper commercials back in the 2010's... how cradle-to-grave creepy is that?

Back in the here and now, do you think any of the makers of those vaginal dryness/pain medicines approached Madonna to license "Like a Virgin?"

• Love 9
(edited)

Here's another commercial that has made me hate their product because of the horrible "music", and I use the term lightly. This assault on my ears has been on constantly for days. Die, Infiniti, die! I'll never buy one. It's actually worse than the "dissing homies" song that I hate with the fire of 1,000 suns. I'll never buy a Honda either.

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7P2Q/infiniti-qx60-summer-in-the-drivers-seat-summer-trips

Ha! One of the comments on iSpot was:

Infiniti has spent 10+ years and millions of $$ to build an upscale automotive brand, and if Uhmerikah has any taste in music, this eight week campaign will destroy it. With apologies to my canine friends, the audio is total dogshit. I scramble for the remote each and every time it comes on hoping that car will crash into a tree and kill all its passengers, the musicians, art director, ad buyers and the board of directors. That is all.
Edited by riley702
  • Love 4
(edited)

Trending HIGH on my annoyance meter this week:

"Even find someone to come and groom my 'pookie'?"

~Angies List

"Ever wonder if you can get lucky in a hotel room?"

~Travel website

1,2,3 o'clock, 4 o'clock POP.....5,6,7 o'clock, 8 o'clock POP...we're gonna POP around the clock....tonight"

~Tide Pods

" I don't have TIME to be walking around gassy and bloated..."

~Activiaaaahhh

OMG YES! to all and may I add..

"Lemonade... luh luh lemonade"

And I hate that funeral expense insurance commercial that plays the happy peppy Charlie Brown theme in the background. Yes, a loved one DIED, but whoopy! get this insurance and you dont' have to pay to bury them! [/que music]

Edited by ari333
  • Love 5

And I hate that funeral expense insurance commercial that plays the happy peppy Charlie Brown theme in the background. Yes, a loved one DIED, but whoopy! get this insurance and you dont' have to pay to bury them!

That commercial always makes me think of the Robot Chicken sketch where Charlie Brown's friends have all died and gone to Hell, and they're dancing to a sound-alike of that tune.

• Love 2

I love "Buddy Holly" too.  The song isn't just great on its own; it also takes me back to the best year of my life.

We have to accept the depressingly inevitable phenomenon of advertisers' resurrecting a generation's pop culture artifacts in order to sell shit as that generation passes through each of life's stages.

Here are the kinds of PreviouslyTV posts we'll be seeing in the future:

I can't mute the TV fast enough when that "You're gonna hear me roar" COPD medicine commercial comes on!

or

They keep playing that "I'm bringing booty baaaaack" commercial for those adult incontinence ultra-thin briefs.  I think they used that song for baby diaper commercials back in the 2010's... how cradle-to-grave creepy is that?

Back in the here and now, do you think any of the makers of those vaginal dryness/pain medicines approached Madonna to license "Like a Virgin?"

God, I hope not. "Buddy Holly" is a good song but it's not the best song on that album. One of the pleasures of getting older is engaging in a twenty-year old debate that never ends. Or maybe that's just senility...

• Love 3

That an e-Harmony commercial will be annoying is a given, I know, but the one where the granddaughter drags her friend into her creepy grandpa's office drives me nuts.  This little boy is obsessed with finding a girlfriend, and instead of calling the parents to say they may want to get this kid some therapy, Creepy Grandpa encourages him and says when he’s 21, he can sign up with e-Harmony and find the love of his life.  Spouse hunting at 21?  What year is this?!

It's 2015 -- and yes, many people in this country still get married before the age of 25 because they believe that starting a family while they're still young enough to do so takes priority over any worldly achievement because the family is the only thing of value that can be taken with them into the eternities.

• Love 7

I hate the eharmony ad with the couple who were matched on some other site and the woman is this crazy bubblehead and the guy is supposedly normal. The sigh the guy gives makes me want to ram a railroad spike in his forehead.

Yes, she is very annoying, but that doesn't make her UNLOVEABLE, so get off your high horse, ass.

• Love 6
We have to accept the depressingly inevitable phenomenon of advertisers' resurrecting a generation's pop culture artifacts in order to sell shit as that generation passes through each of life's stages

Well, now you kids know how we Boomers felt about Zeppelin songs in Cadillac commercials, Rolling Stones shilling Windows 95, etc etc etc

• Love 17
(edited)

The Snackeeze cups adverts are plaguing the airwaves again. Are these cups for people who love to snack but don't want to commit their tabletop or other surface to chips? If this is from the Snugeeze people, good for them on knowing how to tap into the I-hate-to-have-anything-inconvenience-my-lazy-ass-demographic.

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 5

I think that's e-Harmony's way of saying you must be 21 to sign up, it's just badly done.

• Love 4
(edited)

"Lemonade... luh luh lemonade"

That's the one where I keep expecting them to go "round the corner fudge is made."

I think the Capital One commercials with Jennifer Gardner just make me sad. Because she isn't getting enough work and has to do Capital One commercials.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 8

How does anyone get through elementary school without learning that one? (...probably by attending a better school system than the subpar southeastern U.S. one that I did.)

I have never heard of that. I Googled it, saw Amy Shumer's name and backed out. Is this really some school yard rhyme?

• Love 4

Marry early, marry often.  At least eHarmony claims to promote marriage, aside from some of the other sites who are just hook-ups. Maybe the kid would be better off with those. "You're too young for eHarmony, but have you considered Craigslist?"

I know someone who got married via eHarmony. Twice. 

• Love 4