Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

WTF is McEnroe doing with a fungus-y toenailed foot playing tennis with Jublia?  To quote him, "SERIOUSLY?"

At least it's not as disgusting as the old Lamisil ads. DON'T LIFT UP A GROTTY TOENAIL ON TV!!!

• Love 4

Every time those Brits come on talking about clean bums and going co-mahn-do, I'm reminded of those two British women who used to be on Oprah grabbing women at the mall, lifting the poor victims boobs with their hands, telling them they needed a better bra. One of those scenes took place at the top of the escalator and I'm afraid my reflexes would have had those two women tumbling down it before I could stop myself.

Oh, dear!  I never saw that, Yuck!  I'm afraid I would react a little violently, too.

Also, I REALLY didn't need to know that Lenny Kravitz goes co-mahn-do!

• Love 1

I swear to GOD, shoot me NOW! If I have to hear "Everybody talk everybody talk, it started with a whis-perrrr" AGAIN I think my head will explode!

Oh my Christmas I could not agree more. It's on eleventy billion times a day and I HATE IT I HATE IT SO MUCH.

And now it's going through my head. Thanks a lot, sheesh.

• Love 2

This commercial doesn't anger me, as much as it freaks me out. It's more of a public service ad with the mother who's driving her daughter, and is texting a picture at the same time. If the reason is for shock value, it sure succeeds. Just to see the car hit the other car, head on, and seeing how the mother's body is basically being torn apart, has got to give one pause. What I'd like to know is how they did that ad without really injuring anyone? They need to show this ad in every middle and high school every day. Heck, for that matter, I'm not sure it would do any good. We just had an awful head on accident here between a car and a semi, and they think the car driver may have been texting. When the car hit the semi, they exploded. So, while this ad is powerful, people think it can't happen to them.

• Love 7

Think it is for Mattress Firm, but they always show the delivery guys wearing protective blue booties over their shoes.  Do they actually do that?  Are they going to jump on your mattress to test it out?  I'm so confused.

No paper booties on their shoes, but I got a (knock-off) Tempur-pedic mattress a few years ago, and the store sent me off with a ginormous plastic bag that I was supposed to put my old mattress in. I wasn't able to manhandle it into the bag by myself and the delivery guys were a bit perturbed when they got there and saw that it wasn't bagged. They were on the verge of refusing to take the old mattress until I asked them to pretty please just haul it to the dumpster. They said they weren't allowed to carry off my (apparently) biohazardous mattress in the same truck as new ones unless it was wrapped. 

The new mattress came with your basic metal bed frame that I didn't need, so after the delivery guys left, I went out to the dumpster with the frame. My old mattress was gone (eww), so I just put the metal bed frame beside the dumpster. It quickly disappeared as well.

• Love 1

I hate those types of commercials. From way back to Megan Mulalley singing about " Turn the Tub Around" for a margarine commercial to the new one "Turn Around Barry" and everything in between. I hate them all.

While I agree with you in general, I actually like the Fiber One commercials using Total Eclipse of the Heart.

for me the only one of those that is ok is the Barbara one. I'm Barbara. I never eat those things and don't plan to.

edited because I just heard this one again and remembered what I thought. 

The Lay's ad with the guy being romantic with his bag of chips.  The singer wailing, "..I'm nothing without love.." is almost painful to hear.

Thank you, I kept hearing it as "I love you with our love" or "I love you without love", neither made sense.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 1

The singer is Nate Reuss, lead singer of the band fun.

Who I love.  You'll have to answer to Big Scary Me if you talk smack about him!! 

Although, I do admit to being annoyed that he allowed his music to be used to shill potato chips.

• Love 2

Think it is for Mattress Firm, but they always show the delivery guys wearing protective blue booties over their shoes.  Do they actually do that?

When I moved into my current place, the guy from Time Warner who set up my cable stuff took off his shoes when he came in, and just walked around my place in his socks.

• Love 1

Who I love.  You'll have to answer to Big Scary Me if you talk smack about him!! 

Although, I do admit to being annoyed that he allowed his music to be used to shill potato chips.

I'm thinking there was something involving a very big bag of money and him having to do nothing at all to get it.

• Love 1

You can do lots of nifty things with CGI these days.

This makes me think of one of my general pet peeves. For years it's been a commercial cliché that if someone gets comedically injured, you need to have a little "button" at the end showing the guy is really OK. Like, if the story involves a guy falling off a seventeenth-story balcony reaching for the potato chips, you need a three-second button after the end product shot in which the guy gets up off the pavement and dusts himself off. Why can't we just enjoy believing that the guy is dead or maimed for life? :)

To give credit where due, the Mayhem commercials for Allstate dared to break this mold.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 4

This commercial doesn't anger me, as much as it freaks me out. It's more of a public service ad with the mother who's driving her daughter, and is texting a picture at the same time. If the reason is for shock value, it sure succeeds. Just to see the car hit the other car, head on, and seeing how the mother's body is basically being torn apart, has got to give one pause. What I'd like to know is how they did that ad without really injuring anyone? They need to show this ad in every middle and high school every day. Heck, for that matter, I'm not sure it would do any good. We just had an awful head on accident here between a car and a semi, and they think the car driver may have been texting. When the car hit the semi, they exploded. So, while this ad is powerful, people think it can't happen to them.

Commercials like that might actually have no effect on behavior at all.  It's kind of summed up the Wikipedia article for shock advertising:

The consumer unconsciously chooses which information to notice and this kind of selection is dependent of different perceptual filters which are based on the consumer’s earlier experiences. One example of this kind of filter is perceptual defense. Perceptual defense is the tendency for people to protect themselves against ideas, objects or situations that are threatening. This means that if a consumer finds a certain kind of advertising content threatening or disturbing, this message will be filtered out. An example of this a heavy smoker who could be filtering out a picture of cancer sick lung since the content could be perceived as disturbing and uncomfortable.

And people who fuck with their phones when they drive already know what the risks are.

I also read somewhere else that advertisements that make us confront our mortality end up making us spend more money in general.

• Love 1

Swiffer has been on my boycott list ever since the Lee & Morty commercials.  The one with Big Jerry wringing dirty water out of his mop with his bare hands definitely doesn't change my feelings.

I was simply ignoring the Swiffer commercials until the "Tobin Stance" abomination.

Swiffer's ad agency thinks that shit is charming and relatable?  I don't ritualize sticking my face out the door and smelling the neighborhood.  If my father did that regularly, I wouldn't subject him to good-natured ribbing over it.  I wouldn't even notice, let alone invent a term for it.  I certainly wouldn't link the stupidity to the family name.  How empty are the Tobins' lives?  I die a little every time that commercial comes on.

Edited by erikdepressant
  • Love 10

I take the stairs to my car in the deck where I park at work. "Bums" (or drunk people) pee in the corners of the stairwell. My shoes come off at the door when I get home.

I work in a hospital - and ditto. And I go into the shower and the clothes go into the hamper ASAP. I usually shower again in the morning because my hair is a mess. I don't understand people who work in a hospital and wait until the next morning to shower. Yuck! Yuck! Yuck!

Did we talk about the Chobani commercials yet? A guy sitting on the porch eating the yogurt. A cow comes up to him. He gets up and the two walk off into the woods...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQpQuGV_gMA

Dumb. Also dumb is the Chobani ad where the nurse on break eats her yogurt with a tongue depressor. Give me a friggin' break! Hospitals are stuffed to the gills with cheap plastic spoons. I have to admit I like Chobani in spite of their idiotic commercials.

• Love 5

Did we talk about the Chobani commercials yet? A guy sitting on the porch eating the yogurt. A cow comes up to him. He gets up and the two walk off into the woods...

Since I'm, you know, 12 years old, of course I wonder what he's doing with the cow in the woods...

• Love 7

Since I'm, you know, 12 years old, of course I wonder what he's doing with the cow in the woods...

He's one of the lonely farmers in the Farmer's Only commercial. 

• Love 15

The battling Elvi (would that be plural for "Elvis"?) in that State Farm commercial can go straight to hell. The impressions are horrible, especially the one in the gold jacket.

I hate Elvis impersonators with the fire of a thousand burning nuns.  I can not even consider switching to state farm because of that commercial.  It makes me miss Dennis Haysbert telling me about Sate Farm Stan. 

What in the high holy fuck is that?  Why is the cow coming to get him?  Where are they going?  Why is his buddy singing them off?  Who came up with this?  What drugs were they on?  So many questions.

The battling Elvi (would that be plural for "Elvis"?) in that State Farm commercial can go straight to hell. The impressions are horrible, especially the one in the gold jacket.

Those are the worst Elvi ever. I actually say, "Shut the fuck up, you assholes!" as I'm muting the commercials.

I hate Elvis impersonators with the fire of a thousand burning nuns.  I can not even consider switching to state farm because of that commercial.  It makes me miss Dennis Haysbert telling me about Sate Farm Stan. 

What in the high holy fuck is that?  Why is the cow coming to get him?  Where are they going?  Why is his buddy singing them off?  Who came up with this?  What drugs were they on?  So many questions.

Is the cow his girlfriend? I think she can do better than a Yogurt Douchebag.
  • Love 6

That reminds me.

Now, putting aside the unlikelihood that two pre-teens are going to race one another through the house to get to the last shitty-ass Yoplait, why in the hell is the boy carrying a straw around in his back pocket? Is he secretly doing coke? Does he use it to shoot spitballs? Preferably at his Yogurt Bitch-In Training of a sister? Why does she steal all the spoons? If he eats the yogurt, is there never going to be any in the house ever again?  Why are these the kind of things I think about?!

• Love 13

Not sure what is going on at Chobani's ad agency, but if they got backlash for that same-sex couple ad, maybe inter-species dating isn't the best direction to go.

This commercial is safe, because the interspecies couple is heterosexual.  If he had gone off with a bull, it would have sent kids a dangerous, immoral message.

• Love 17

I actually like the Chobani flip commercials, but this one really is odd.  I thought the guy was either going to feed the cow the last bit of his yogurt (btw, worse sound ever: the scraping of the spoon in a yogurt cup) or take the cow behind the fence and have some alone time.  Neither option looked very promising.  

• Love 1

Not sure what is going on at Chobani's ad agency, but if they got backlash for that same-sex couple ad, maybe inter-species dating isn't the best direction to go.

Sadly, they would probably get less backlash than if the hot guy walked off with a heavy woman. 

• Love 5

Whenever I see those commercials, I marvel that farmers have internet.

I marvel that farmers have time to go online. It strikes me as very demanding work.

I'm glad to read that others take their shoes off when they enter the house. It amazes me that so many people on TV wear shoes in the house and store shoes in their bedrooms.

• Love 1

Where do you store your shoes? Even people who take their outside shoes off at the door store their other shoes in their bedroom closets.  But I do wish I'd gotten in the habit of taking my shoes off at the door.

Edited by ethalfrida
  • Love 1

Hey folks, just a heads up. As a sitewide policy, there is no discussion of politics, so political ads, as annoying as they can be, aren't really allowed. Mostly because it's real difficult to parse the message from the vehicle and political discussions never, ever end well.

Thanks!

• Love 8

Where do you store your shoes? Even people who take their outside shoes off at the door store their other shoes in their bedroom closets.

They stay by the door. I don't want them tracking in the myriad sources of grossness I'm sure are all over the bottoms. Too much ick-factor for me. Bootie-wearing mattress carriers are welcome by me.
  • Love 4

Why do people in yogurt commercials pull their spoons out of their mouths upside down?  Is that a thing?  It seems like something a child would do, to me.

I'm guessing it's because it looks better (sexier?) than the other way, and is less likely to cover the actor's face.

• Love 2

I take the stairs to my car in the deck where I park at work. "Bums" (or drunk people) pee in the corners of the stairwell. My shoes come off at the door when I get home.

Another good idea is to try not to touch the soles of your shoes as people spitting (There's a reason it used to be against the law) pass TB which is making a comeback at least in Florida.

• Love 4

According to Peg Bundy, yes. "Oh, look, Al.......Elvi!"

According to Honeymoon In Vegas (hated the movie, love this quote) "We're the Flying Elvises - Utah Chapter"..

• Love 3

Sadly, they would probably get less backlash than if the hot guy walked off with a heavy woman. 

I  was thinking if he fed the cow some yogurt would that be a sort of "forced cannibalism" ala the Social Network chicken/eggs?

Bwwhahaha!

Edited by Flnurse
  • Love 1

Soles of your shoes: Working in a veterinary office makes your shoes particularly smelly - which I never realized until my cats started spending the first 30 minutes after I got home from work sniffing my shoes. Even the front desk folks have to dodge puddles every now and then until the kennel team comes with the mops.

• Love 6

Where do you store your shoes? Even people who take their outside shoes off at the door store their other shoes in their bedroom closets.  But I do wish I'd gotten in the habit of taking my shoes off at the door.

I actually have one of those doohickeys that fits over the top of a door (to the spare bedroom, which is used more for catch-all storage). It "only" holds 18 pairs, so work shoes go in the front hall closet and the house slippers get parked in the bathroom.

Soles of your shoes: Working in a veterinary office makes your shoes particularly smelly - which I never realized until my cats started spending the first 30 minutes after I got home from work sniffing my shoes. Even the front desk folks have to dodge puddles every now and then until the kennel team comes with the mops.

I used to have a cat who would stick her face into my shoes as soon as I took them off. She would also sniff my work clothes the minute I took them off. The current duo just "interrogate" me every time I come home, sniffing at my shoes, pant legs, grocery bags, etc. They also watch me shower with this puzzled/concerned look that clearly means, "Why are people such weirdos?"

• Love 9

I was simply ignoring the Swiffer commercials until the "Tobin Stance" abomination.

Swiffer's ad agency thinks that shit is charming and relatable?  I don't ritualize sticking my face out the door and smelling the neighborhood.  If my father did that regularly, I wouldn't subject him to good-natured ribbing over it.  I wouldn't even notice, let alone invent a term for it.  I certainly wouldn't link the stupidity to the family name.  How empty are the Tobins' lives?  I die a little every time that commercial comes on.

And do they really think that behavior is SO unique that it warrants THEIR name being attached to it? What if they head to someone else's house and discover a non-Tobin engaging in it? Do they say "Hey wait! *You're* doing the TOBIN STANCE! I thought only TOBINS did the TOBIN STANCE!"

On the plus side, now that I have given this WAAAAY too much thought, I'm now trying to figure out lyrics to "The Tobin Stance," set to the tune of "The Safety Dance."

T-T-T-T O-O-O-O B-B-B-B I-I-I-I N-N-N-N

TOBIN (Tobin!) STANCE! (Stance!)

We can swiff if we want to

We can leave your friends behind

Because your friends don't swiff

And if they don't swiff

Well, they're no friends of mine...

• Love 10

I find the current Crest 3D White Strips commercial to be annoying. I can't remember what the woman with the incredibly white, un-white teeth can't do because her teeth are so shameful. However, I'm more distracted by the angle of the final shot where her chin has become the unintended visual focal point. It's...uh...quite prominent.

• Love 3

Swiffer has been on my boycott list ever since the Lee & Morty commercials.  The one with Big Jerry wringing dirty water out of his mop with his bare hands definitely doesn't change my feelings.

I have to admit, though, that I love when Big Jerry talks about "deep couch sitting."  It makes me wish my couch were bigger!

And *thank you* for letting me know that the family is saying "TOBIN stance."  I always thought they were saying "token stance," and that made no sense at. all.

• Love 3