Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

Anyone looking at my recently watched list from the free On Demand would never believe that I'm a mild mannered project manager whose most extreme hobby is knitting- I've got five Hitchcock films and three episodes of Cold Justice, and my DVR has the whole season on Murder in the First. 

• Love 5

This makes me stabby because I think going through someone's playlist without asking is a lot like going through her underwear drawer without asking.And also, one can watch movies about murder without actually being a murderer. Which is why murder movies are so popular.

Exactly! Why is this guy looking at her most recently watched? Nosy asshole.

• Love 2

I saw a new ad last night for Dole frozen fruit dipped in chocolate...it features two cartoon-y female monkeys in lounge chairs talking about snacks.

My first thought - "Wow I need those now"

2nd thought -"Yeesh, those are creepy looking monkeys!" 

3rd thought- "Hey one of those monkeys looks just like Barbara Corcoran from Shark Tank!"

• Love 4

"And also, one can watch movies about murder without actually being a murderer. Which is why murder movies are so popular."

I love watching cooking shows but I don't like to cook. It's watching the process of it that appeals to me.

I watch everything I can about cannibalism; although I enjoy the process of murdering and cooking people, I don't actually eat what I make.

• Love 9

I don't have any kids, but if I did I would tell them to run away, call 911 and report the creepy old man if they should ever see someone that looks and acts like "Colonel Sanders" in the neighborhood.

• Love 5

And one more from a competitor - a commercial from Xfinity where the man has arrived at the woman's house and she goes out for a moment, so he tunes into her TV and finds that she's been watching things about murder.  This one also makes me stabby.  Fortunately, I can't find a video for it.

The Xfinity commercial that brings out the hate of a 10, 000 (well you know) is the truly offensive one where the husband is watching the end of a game and wifey wants to watch a schmoopy kiss scene because as she says "she needs this right now".   Ick!  1) Don't you have more than one TV?  2) Just let the husband watch the game, ending in seconds, and then kick him off the couch to get you ice cream so you can watch the whole movie with a box of kleenex.  (she doesn't stay with him at the end to movie, you know)

• Love 4

I suppose funeral expenses are age related/generational, and most young'uns can't understand until they get there and find out how expensive it is to die. Most people want to take care of their affairs and not burden their kids.

I understand all of that. My point was that I just dont' think peppy Charlie Brown upbeat music fits the sad subject of a loved one dying.

• Love 3

I hate those Toilet paper Bears too but not nearly as much as the British git pouncing on people to ask about their "bums" and discussing whether they are clean enough to go commando. For Chrissake! I'm trying to eat dinner and unwind with some TV. Do I need to be concerned over a stranger's relations with his dingle berries right now?

• Love 19

I don't have any kids, but if I did I would tell them to run away, call 911 and report the creepy old man if they should ever see someone that looks and acts like "Colonel Sanders" in the neighborhood.

I saw this posted today which seems fitting...

i-LrpSrXt-X3.jpg

• Love 22

A commercial has finally done it. I've been a Diet Dr. Pepper addict for years. That Little Sweet asshole is so creepy and obnoxious that when I went to the store I bought Diet Pepsi instead. I'm having a hard time getting used to it. Thanks for ruining my guilty pleasure you freak who sounds like someone shoved a hot poker up your purple-haired ass.

• Love 6

A commercial has finally done it. I've been a Diet Dr. Pepper addict for years. That Little Sweet asshole is so creepy and obnoxious that when I went to the store I bought Diet Pepsi instead. I'm having a hard time getting used to it. Thanks for ruining my guilty pleasure you freak who sounds like someone shoved a hot poker up your purple-haired ass.

That's Justin Guarini, runner-up to Kelly Clarkson on the first season of American Idol, who now has a solid Broadway career.

• Love 6

The cashier in the Adam and Eve commercials needs to go away with her bitch faces when she has to ring up intimate items.  Bitch is only jealous because other people are having more fun than she is. 

Stay away from public pools!  That creepy Colonel Sanders has been chatting up cute young lifeguards at the pool.  Shame on him for trying to seduce her with his "taters" and lemonade!

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 5

That's Justin Guarini, runner-up to Kelly Clarkson on the first season of American Idol, who now has a solid Broadway career.

I've never watched American Idol. I don't care if he was annointed God's Gift to Broadway by the Pope. His hideous screeching ruined Diet Dr. Pepper for me. *sob*

• Love 5

Because of how much I hate that "...when you were you" Mazda (?) commercial, whenever a different one comes on with the same guy doing voiceover, I automatically hate it.  I can't even listen to what he's saying because I hate him so much based on that other commercial (which is partly because I hate the way he talks).

• Love 6

"You can always go to Little Caesar's. You wouldn't

even have to wait to get some shitty pizza."

Word of advice: Don't get pissed off and punch out your laptop screen like the douchecanoe in their commercial.

"Excuse me, young people where did you get your outfits"? Poor kid is dressed like "his dad"--dad probably

being Orville Redenbacher. Why did his clueless

mom dress him that way? Did she want him to be the

target of ridicule? Kids didn't dress like that for

school even in the 1950's

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 1

You can always go to Little Caesar's. You wouldn't even have to wait to get some shitty pizza.

As long as you're getting the right kind of pizza during the right time of day and the staff on duty doesn't happen to be a bunch of morons who can't keep up with the call-outs of what they're supposed to be making.

• Love 1

I find him annoying as well, but the main reason I hate those commercials (especially the one with the two guys looking at the cupcakes) is this:  would anyone who is craving a cupcake (or cupcakes plural) think that drinking a diet Dr. Pepper will be a good substitute?  I don't.

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 9

Oh nooooo!  I can't believe there are people out there who hate Lil' Sweet!  *sniff*  (Lil' Sweet slidin' down the balcony.)

Lil' Sweet seems to be very polarizing.  People either love him or hate him.  Personally, I think he's hilarious!  Such a cheesy parody of Prince.

I find him annoying as well, but the main reason I hate those commercials (especially the one with the two guys looking at the cupcakes) is this:  would anyone who is craving a cupcake (or cupcakes plural) think that drinking a diet Dr. Pepper will be a good substitute?  I don't.

IA.  That's why Slim Fast "meal replacement" drinks never worked for me because I usually ate something else when I was drinking them, lol.  If you're actually hungry, a beverage (diet or otherwise) isn't going to satisfy you, ime. 

Lil Sweet would probably work better if the consumer was drinking a regular sugary drink or a milkshake or something when he shows up to hawk the Diet Dr. Pepper.

Edited by Amethyst
  • Love 6

It's like that Chiclets commercial that I posted on TWoP many moons ago that suggested chewing gum instead of eating an ice cream cone. Sorry, but if I'm jonesing for ice cream, all the gum in the world ain't gonna cut it.

• Love 6

That creepy Colonel Sanders has been chatting up cute young lifeguards at the pool. Shame on him for trying to seduce her with his "taters" and lemonade!

If a creepy old guy starts talking to you about his "taters and big ol' cookie", he's not talking about food.
  • Love 6

It's like that Chiclets commercial that I posted on TWoP many moons ago that suggested chewing gum instead of eating an ice cream cone. Sorry, but if I'm jonesing for ice cream, all the gum in the world ain't gonna cut it.

http://youtu.be/xTPhGX2nBw8

That scene at the end where our heroine is carried off the stage by the dashing young man? I've fanwanked it that she's so weak from hunger that she can't walk down the stairs.

• Love 1
I find him annoying as well, but the main reason I hate those commercials (especially the one with the two guys looking at the cupcakes) is this:  would anyone who is craving a cupcake (or cupcakes plural) think that drinking a diet Dr. Pepper will be a good substitute?  I don't.

Right.  That's what yogurt is for.

• Love 10

Oh nooooo!  I can't believe there are people out there who hate Lil' Sweet!  *sniff*  (Lil' Sweet slidin' down the balcony.)

I don't get super-excited either way about Li'l Sweet. But I am very glad when I see the commercials, because I think "Hurray! Having a national 'spokesman' commercial campaign like that means that Justin Guarini can support his family on that alone, and therefore can afford to spend the rest of his time doing the less-lucrative stage work that I love so much." (His performances in Paint Your Wagon and Company within the last six months were two of the best stage performances I've seen in a long time, and I see a lot of musical theater.)

• Love 4

I HATE that FIOS commercial with Rashida Jones, when she's using her friend's tablet to talk to a man she met the night before, and because the wifi is slow, it freezes on the guy while he's mid sentence;  so one of her friends immediately thinks the guy's a sociopath, grabs the tablet and says something like, "Go back to your wife you sociopath."  The friend then looks as Rashida and says, "you're welcome."  And the guy's like, WTF?  I hate that commercial because it makes women look stupid and hysterical.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 8

I was watching my daily dose of Seinfeld and noticed a couple cool things:

Super-sexy hummus w/meat eating dad (actor Rick Hall) plays the 'squirrel vet' in the episode where George keeps hurting pigeons and eventually a squirrel that then needs emergency surgery requiring 'very tiny instruments', thus making the surgery really expensive for George.    

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/117445945"width="500" height="281" frameborder="0"webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

Then in the episode where George 'double dips' his chip and "Timmy" calls him out for it ( dip the chip, take a bite, and end it there!) at George's girlfriends relative's wake, the girlfriend is played by Megan Mullally, of Will and Grace fame.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RfprRZQxWps"frameborder="0"allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by Flnurse
  • Love 3

Given that AARP is an organization whose members are 50 years of age and older and whose mission includes lobbying for the rights of senior citizens, it makes perfect sense that an ad would not include younger people

HUH?  Are you teeling me that 30 somethings care about about AARP?  They got their nose 6 in from the screen on their smartphone...

I'm all for the org by why show yung uns?  The $$$  for this country are still in the hands of us oldies (we were taught to save ; not buy over the apex of the cranium)

• Love 2

I saw a new ad last night for Dole frozen fruit dipped in chocolate...it features two cartoon-y female monkeys in lounge chairs talking about snacks.

3rd thought- "Hey one of those monkeys looks just like Barbara Corcoran from Shark Tank!"

I literally laughed out loud like a lunatic at this one!

I am not sure who posted it, but regarding the kid in PJ's saying, "I like caramel and crunchy stuff" for Bryers Indulgences (not very good for the $ IMO)...one of you commented something like, "Shut up you nosy little brat and get back in bed!" I laugh out loud everyday about that cause I feel EXACTLY the same!!!!!! WTG!!!

• Love 2

Y'know, I must be the worst parent in the world- I used to come right out and tell my kids that the fancy stuff was *my* ice cream and that until they were old enough to contribute to the household, they were stuck with the vanilla Breyer's/Edy's/Harris Teeter stuff and Hershey's syrup. I've regretted every time I've let my children (now tweens and teenagers) try my gourmet indulgences because they have come to share my tastes and therefore eat the yummy stuff.

• Love 8

I don't know if this is local to the DC area, but there's this commercial for Everest College and the spokesperson is this annoying woman who comes off dumb as a box of rocks.  The way she talks--I guess you'd call it valley girl--just drives me up a wall.  I don't know how in the hell they chose her to be representative of this "college."  It's online and based on listening to her, there's no way I would enroll. 

• Love 3

Lincoln Heritage Funeral Insurance...we'll pay your survivors up to $20,000 UHMEDIATELY.  Uhmediately? I hope she's got that insurance, 'cause I really feel like putting her out of her misery when I hear that.

ETA: it's not that good a commercial, either, 'cause I had to see it about a dozen times before I could remember who the sponsor was.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 3

Just saw a commercial for Mattress Firm where two guys come out to take an old mattress and tell the poor lady that her mattress is so heavy because it's full of sweat and mites. Gross.

Think it is for Mattress Firm, but they always show the delivery guys wearing protective blue booties over their shoes.  Do they actually do that?  Are they going to jump on your mattress to test it out?  I'm so confused (yes, Vinnie Barbarino is sharing my head today)!

• Love 3

I don't know if they wear booties or not, because they kept postponing delivery and never told me until after I had stripped my old bed & got it ready for removal THREE TIMES, so I cancelled the whole deal & got a new bed from somebody else. (The booties are to protect your floors, not the mattress - y'know, like some people {my nephew & his wife} make you take your shoes off when you go over to their home.)

Don't forget dead skin cells adding weight to your 8 year old mattress!

(Not if you use a mattress protector, thank you.)

I now have a Tempurpedic adjustable base with a Simmons Beautyrest mattress; they work well together, but you can't flip or rotate the mattress and after only a year, there's a big dent where my hips usually are.  I can't get away from it now - it's so deep, I keep rolling back into it.  But I love the "adjustable" part - with the head elevated, my sinuses drain during the night so I don't awaken all stuffed up and I don't have reflux unless I eat something particularly heinous before bedtime.

• Love 5

I hate those Toilet paper Bears too but not nearly as much as the British git pouncing on people to ask about their "bums" and discussing whether they are clean enough to go commando. For Chrissake! I'm trying to eat dinner and unwind with some TV. Do I need to be concerned over a stranger's relations with his dingle berries right now?

I'd like to think there was at least ONE person they pounced on who said "Nunuhyerbiz and buzz off, Weirdos . Get that camera outta my face or I'm suing!'

• Love 6

That an e-Harmony commercial will be annoying is a given, I know, but the one where the granddaughter drags her friend into her creepy grandpa's office drives me nuts.  This little boy is obsessed with finding a girlfriend, and instead of calling the parents to say they may want to get this kid some therapy, Creepy Grandpa encourages him and says when he’s 21, he can sign up with e-Harmony and find the love of his life.  Spouse hunting at 21?  What year is this?!

I thought it was  Match! Too bad the kid doesn't ask the CEO ' So are and Missy's Grandma still together? If not, then why should anyone pay you to pick someone for them! '

• Love 2

Thank you so much for this. And here I thought there would be no more laughter in my life after Jon Stewart left Comedy Central...

• Love 2

I hate those types of commercials. From way back to Megan Mulalley singing about " Turn the Tub Around" for a margarine commercial to the new one "Turn Around Barry" and everything in between. I hate them all.

While I agree with you in general, I actually like the Fiber One commercials using Total Eclipse of the Heart.

• Love 2

Every time those Brits come on talking about clean bums and going co-mahn-do, I'm reminded of those two British women who used to be on Oprah grabbing women at the mall, lifting the poor victims boobs with their hands, telling them they needed a better bra. One of those scenes took place at the top of the escalator and I'm afraid my reflexes would have had those two women tumbling down it before I could stop myself.

• Love 8