Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

The eggo commercial also shows what technology has done to people. Too lazy to talk in the same room so opt to just whip out the cell phone. That's sad.

To be fair, I think that's part of the point of the commercial--to poke a little fun at "the way we live today." The sadness isn't a bug, it's a feature.

• Love 1

Finally figured out what was annoying me about the "Bad Cell Recpetion for Geese" commercial (Verizon, I think?)

Everything...everything annoys me about that commercial.  I've never watched enough of it to see there were different geese.

• Love 3

The funny thing is I actually rather liked the bird commercial at first - "little bird phones" still makes me smile - but after seeing it 50 times or so, I realized that something about it was really bugging me (other than the fact that I had seen it about 50 times.)

Anyway, it also irks me that no one, during the final edit of the commercial, caught the fact that they were using clips of two different types of geese.

• Love 2

I love Canada Geese.  They are here pretty much year-round at the reservoir.  I love when they fly overhead and honk (huge flocks). 

Those other "Geese" look like an arts and crafts project in summer school, made with felt and string.  False Geese.

• Love 1

I hate this commercial so much and it's so stupid.

This is the dumbest commercial I've ever seen. The whole family is sitting around waiting for one eggo to pop up while I see an eggo box in the background resting on the counter. So it looks like there's still some more in there that none of these lazy people bother to put in the other toaster slot. Why is the mother calling the daughter and texting each other about a waffle? They're all in the same room. 

Yeah, that one pisses me off as well. I get that they're riffing on people who cannot disengage from their portable electronic devices, but that's just ridiculous!

I saw a new one today that really grosses me out. It's a dorky kid with Skittles stuck all over his body. He says he has Skittle aPox, and a girl comes up and pulls a Skittle off his face and eats it. Totally nasty and vomit inducing.

That's not new; it's been put back into circulation. Yes, it IS nasty!

• Love 2

There is another Eggo commercial where the toaster is broken and some random Asian kid walks in and nukes an Eggo breakfast sandwich, which is perplexing to the confused white family who apparently didn't know they bought Eggo sandwiches?

Maybe they didn't. It's not unusual to see folks with SNAP cards be very indiscriminate in shopping, picking up whatever looks good.

• Love 2

I hate Papa John. Sometimes I think company owners/founders should stay the hell out of the advertising. That means you too, creepy e-Harmony oil slick.

An exemption should be made for Wendy Thomas (Morse), whose matter-of-fact commercials that speak to customers like adults do a lot more to make me go through the Wendy's drive-thru than ones featuring Red, her smug fancier-than-thou attitude, and whatever noxious chemicals she used to get that Bozo the Clown hair color.

I used to think it would be impossible for any loving parent with two brain cells to rub together to accidentally leave their child in the car until I read this Pulitzer-winning article years ago:  Fatal Distraction

I try to bear in mind that odds are any parent with an infant or small child is sleep-deprived and not at their peak of concentration and recall.

• Love 9

The Subaru commercials where all anyone says is "They lived" feels like something out of a horror movie. Shot after shot of smashed, wrecked cars and people saying "they lived." Now, I know what they're going for here: Subarus are so safe that when you get into an accident it's the difference between life and death. But, what I'm seeing is a bunch of wrecked cars and wondering why Subarus get into so many accidents! Do they have faulty breaks or something? Also, the way the people keep going "They lived" makes it sound like they're disappointed. Like they purposely cut the break lines or something and are lamenting their plan to kill whoever was driving the car was foiled. "They lived," sigh. Damn.

• Love 7

Also, the way the people keep going "They lived" makes it sound like they're disappointed.

I think they're going for it being remarkable that "they lived" because it was a bad accident, but you can also read it as remarkable because Subarus are unsafe enough that people usually don't.

• Love 1

Shot after shot of smashed, wrecked cars and people saying "they lived." Now, I know what they're going for here: Subarus are so safe that when you get into an accident it's the difference between life and death. But, what I'm seeing is a bunch of wrecked cars and wondering why Subarus get into so many accidents! Do they have faulty breaks or something?

I didn't read it as multiple Suburus and multiple accidents. I totally might be misunderstanding the whole ad. That said, it played to me like a single, catastrophic-looking accident and as part of the aftermath, the wreckage is transported to-from various places. So the first person to say it is assuming that the person they're passing on the remains of the car to will see it and think "oh gosh how horrible how many people died in this disaster" and thus gives them the surprising but pleasant news that actually they lived. Lather rinse repeat as the mangled metal makes it way to...wherever it's supposed to end up. So it's each person in the chain of what is usually a sad reminder of a tragedy that this time the metal ruins they're receiving were not an instrument of death for once. Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 8

I didn't read it as multiple Suburus and multiple accidents. I totally might be misunderstanding the whole ad. That said, it played to me like a single, catastrophic-looking accident and as part of the aftermath, the wreckage is transported to-from various places.

Yes, it's the same wrecked car as it makes its way from the accident scene to the junk yard.  But didn't Subaru do more than one "They lived" spot?  Maybe that's what the poster meant.

• Love 1

I saw a new one today that really grosses me out. It's a dorky kid with Skittles stuck all over his body. He says he has Skittle aPox, and a girl comes up and pulls a Skittle off his face and eats it. Totally nasty and vomit inducing.

I had hoped these Skittles commercials were long gone, because they aired a couple years ago.  Why they want to equate their delicious candy with a contagious skin disease is beyond me.  

There's another one with the same boy, only he has Skittles for teeth instead of a pox.  So a girl makes out with him and it ends with her crunching on the Skittles...which used to be his teeth.  She's eating his teeth.  Seriously, no words for how disgusting this whole ad campaign is.  Whatever happened to "Taste the rainbow?"

• Love 8

Finally figured out what was annoying me about the "Bad Cell Recpetion for Geese" commercial (Verizon, I think?)

There are two distinct types of geese in the commercial - Canada geese and some black-and-white geese (I don't know the name, but they're definitely not Canada geese, as these guys have no brown and different markings on their heads.)

So the commercial starts by showing Canada geese flying, cuts to black-and-white geese grazing, cut to close-up of a Canada goose (when the announcer says "they hate that"), then cut to black and white geese flying off. (Now, I may have some of the editing cuts turned around, but regardless.....).

It's not the same geese! Those are two different flocks of geese having problems with their cell phone reception! But the commercial acts like it's the same group of geese for the whole commercial! What, do they think we're blind or something!!

(Such a little thing, I know, but gah! It gets under my skin!)

The one thing I know about geese is that they poop. . . a lot. So that nice field they land in? Is now a toxic waste site.

Oh, the ad is about cell service? I didn't notice.

• Love 6

But aren't they in like Minnesota or something? There's snow on the ground until Memorial Day up there.

And beyond, sometimes. My sister lived in Red Wing for a year and a half, and the rock salt on the roads was starting to strip the paint off of her car.

• Love 1

Are there any people an TV as annoying as the three old ladies on the Volkswagen commercials?  Two out of the three annoying harridans must be moms of the Sonic idiots.   Jeez, their shrill whiny voices make me want to stick my head in the oven.  If I'm like that when I'm old, please, shoot me!

• Love 9

Are there any people an TV as annoying as the three old ladies on the Volkswagen commercials?  Two out of the three annoying harridans must be moms of the Sonic idiots.   Jeez, their shrill whiny voices make me want to stick my head in the oven.  If I'm like that when I'm old, please, shoot me!

There's that third woman who doesn't say anything and I wonder why in the hell she's with those other two biddies.

• Love 1

There are two distinct types of geese in the commercial - Canada geese and some black-and-white geese (I don't know the name, but they're definitely not Canada geese, as these guys have no brown and different markings on their heads.)

So the commercial starts by showing Canada geese flying, cuts to black-and-white geese grazing, cut to close-up of a Canada goose (when the announcer says "they hate that"), then cut to black and white geese flying off. (Now, I may have some of the editing cuts turned around, but regardless.....).

It's not the same geese! Those are two different flocks of geese having problems with their cell phone reception! But the commercial acts like it's the same group of geese for the whole commercial! What, do they think we're blind or something!!

Exactly! Once you spot it, the geese are so dissimilar, it's almost intentional or something. 

Otherwise I think it's a cute commercial. 

• Love 2

So it's each person in the chain of what is usually a sad reminder of a tragedy that this time the metal ruins they're receiving were not an instrument of death for once.

Oh. They still sound sad about it though. "They lived." "Damn! We plotted that death so carefully, too!" "And we would have gotten away with it except for those meddling kids."

• Love 9

As far as psychedelic videos go, in my opinion, nobody tops Grace Slick:

Whenever I hear White Rabbit I think about the scene in Platoon where Willem Defoe teaches Charlie Sheen about the glories of pot.  Ironic, much?  It was a sad trajectory for Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship/Starship when they went from White Rabbit to We Built This City.

• Love 4

forumfish - One of the cheap thrills of my life was in the mid-70s when my brother somehow wrangled me a backstage pass for Jefferson Starship. I was trying to not get in the way and all of a sudden this teeny tiny woman wearing a huge fur coat ran into me. It was Grace Slick! Man, she's little. Anyhoo, she asked if I'd hold her coat. One of the guys lifted me up on the stacks behind the band and I got to watch the concert 10 feet from the action whilst gripping Grace's coat as if my life depended on it. Very cool.

Back to your regularly scheduled snark...

• Love 22

PLEASE get that "Newsflash, Nobody's Perfect" BITCH off my TV!!!!

While your at it, get Mr. "How Can My Car Depreciate Before It's First Oil Change You Ask" off as well.   No, fuckhead, I don't ask that.  Because I'm not a damn moron that doesn't understand the way new car buying works...and has worked for decades.

• Love 20

I want all the Liberty Mutual fools and their strident ignorance off my TV.

- You named it "Brad."

- ...but there will still be pain.

- torque ratios

- How can my car depreciate before its first oil change?

- Newsflash: Nobody's perfect.

- You're the poster child for paying on time.

Douchebags.

• Love 15

And another thing, Liberty Mutual:  YOUR company is not the ONLY one that offers full replacement value, AND you charge accordingly for it, too!

I guess nitwits that don't have two brain cells maybe might believe that you charge less and promise more, but other than that...

• Love 9

*applauds*

"Maybe you should have researched them (the insurance company) a little more."

No, bitch, maybe you should have researched driving a car a little more so you didn't hydroplane into a ditch or smash it into a tree.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 7

I've yet to encounter anyone who doesn't hate those Liberty Mutual ads. 

Every time I think, "Okay, this is the worst one yet," they come out with another entitled moron who doesn't understand how insurance (or depreciation) works. 

If you don't know how to parallel park, just buy some insurance and drive around tearing off other people's bumpers.  No need to, you know, learn how to parallel park (and park in a lot until you do).

How could my premium go up after I rammed into someone else's car?  Sure, that's the very basis of insurance -- premiums are based on the likelihood of the insurer having to pay a claim -- but, but ... I paid my bills on time. 

Used cars are worth less than new cars, and driving it off the lot constitutes using it.  But when my used car gets totaled, I should get the value of a new car because I haven't yet changed the oil.

Et cetera, et cetera. 

That's not how it works.  That's not how any of this works.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 13

That's not how this works.  That's not how any of this works.

Aww, haven't seen that commercial in a while. But seriously, I fear those Liberty Mutual ads are aimed at a large segment of an entitled generation growing up thinking the rules don't apply to them. Grr. "Don't they know you're already shaken up?" They are not your mother and therefore don't give a rat's ass about your special snowflake feelings! "I just tapped their bumper - no big deal." just makes my blood boil. It's not up to you to decide how big of a deal it is!

Thanks for restarting this, Brattinella - this has been cathartic.

• Love 20

But seriously, I fear those Liberty Mutual ads are aimed at a large segment of an entitled generation growing up thinking the rules don't apply to them.

I hate those Liberty Mutual spots and their ^%#*^& green-screen New York Harbor too. But a more generous interpretation is that they're aiming at first-time insurance buyers--young people (not necessarily "entitled") who really don't understand depreciation, or the way insurance works, because a mom or dad never took the time to explain it to them. Yes, they're ignorant, but (arguably) they deserve to breathe our air, too. And they represent a market.

Although (IIRC) the people in the ads don't always look like first-time insurance buyers. So %#^# em.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 1

If they use a famous location (in actual filming or greenscreen it in) do they need to pay a fee?  I hope so because if I have to be bombarded with the damn Liberty Mutual commercials, I want them paying someone - anyone! - big bucks to use the Statue of Liberty in the background.

"Give me your entitled, your delusional grandeur,
Your cuddled masses yearning to drive free,
The wretched shrew of your reaming whore.
Send these, the clueless, witless to me,
I lift my middle finger beside the car door!"

• Love 10

Here's some good news about the younger generation, Every time my 14 year old son hears that commercial he says, "no big deal? How about I tap your face with my bumper?"

Melts my cold dark heart. ...

• Love 21

I am a happy Liberty Mutual customer, and I hate their commercials with the fire of a thousand nuns. I love that they dealt with the insurance companies of cars #2 and 3- who were squabbling about which one of them was responsible for paying out the claims- in my four-car rear ending accident (I was car #1, car #4 was also a LM customer). A LM representative was actually the person who let me know that accident forgiveness services is (a) not unique to LM and (b) can be determined on a state-by-state level (i.e., he told me I qualified for it because all insurance conducted in my state provided for it). I hate that they use idiocy of drivers as a reason to buy their insurance. 

• Love 7

I may worry about the emotional health of the over-invested driver who named her car Brad (and maybe asked it to be her prom date?), but she's not entitled and actively offensive like the other Liberty Mutual morons. I hope What's Depreciation? Guy wraps his next $40 grand status symbol around a tree in a DUI and has to drive to work on a riding mower from now on.

It does make me thankful that my insurance spokespersons are khaki-wearing Jake and the Coneheads.

• Love 9

I hate the Liberty Mutual ads too but man, they hosted the greatest party I ever attended.  They must have dropped $1million on it, it was jaw dropping opulence.  Marie Antoinette would have approved.

The Odyssey I used to drive was named Penelope.  Obviously.

• Love 5

What, you want a ribbon because you paid on time...like you're supposed to do?

It appears that LM has at least two people who think that, the "poster child", and an Asian woman with long hair who talks about paying "like clockwork". I just saw the latter this morning; why is this woman asking "why pay for insurance?" right after the company ponied up for her accident?

• Love 5

What, you want a ribbon because you paid on time...like you're supposed to do?  Do you get a certificate every time you take out the garbage too?  I bet you even have grandiose music and confetti cannons queued for when you empty the dishwasher or dryer.

Do you know something, self-aggrandizing douche, if you enrolled in your insurance's automatic payment plan, you would have something less to worry about. Then you could pat yourself on the back for replacing a new toilet paper roll.  God knows that's worthy of a commendation from the governor.

Liberty Mutual needs to hire spokespeople like Lindsay Lohan or Amanda Bynes.  They could probably use the work to defray their legal expenses.  LL or AB could tell an anecdote about their latest fender bender and how Liberty Mutual came through for them.  It's better than hearing from the lady who was aghast at the possibility of driving on 3 wheels for the millionth time.

• Love 5