Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

This Stelara commercial with CariDee English annoys the hell out of me. I was watching America's Next Top Model back when she was on it, but it was so long ago I don't remember if this was what her walk was like. It's like she's got a swayback & stomps, I can't imagine her walking a runway.

• Love 9

This Stelara commercial with CariDee English annoys the hell out of me. I was watching America's Next Top Model back when she was on it, but it was so long ago I don't remember if this was what her walk was like. It's like she's got a swayback & stomps, I can't imagine her walking a runway.

She walks like someone who's never worn heels before and doesn't know how to adjust the heel-toe position.

• Love 5

Shoes go on a shoe tree in the front hall (or front alcove--it's a small house) which sits in a tray with ridges. Wet shoes go on the other half of the tray to dry out.

One of my previous cats used to try to stick his whole head in my loafer. It was adorable and a nice memory to begin the day. Thanks!

• Love 3

On the plus side, now that I have given this WAAAAY too much thought, I'm now trying to figure out lyrics to "The Tobin Stance," set to the tune of "The Safety Dance."

Thank you, Ivy, I'll now have that song in my head all day...

I have to admit, though, that I love when Big Jerry talks about "deep couch sitting."

I really like that too!

• Love 3

The lady in the Samsung ad trying to jam her iPhone into the clock radio really should be doing that in black and white because it's not half as difficult as she is making it out to be.

Speaking of annoying Samsung phone commercials, I really dislike the one that shows how the Edge revolutionizes being an asshole.  Even if you're just discretely glancing at the edge of your phone, people are still going to notice that you're tuning them out.  And you don't miss out on life's important moments because your phone's display is too big; you miss out from checking your phone too often in the first place.

Samsung is also touting the Edge's improved selfie-taking powers.  Since the phone is better at helping you take pictures of yourself and ignore other people, its ad slogan could be "Samsung Galaxy S6: the cutting Edge of narcissism."

• Love 16

I used to have a cat who would stick her face into my shoes as soon as I took them off. She would also sniff my work clothes the minute I took them off. The current duo just "interrogate" me every time I come home, sniffing at my shoes, pant legs, grocery bags, etc. They also watch me shower with this puzzled/concerned look that clearly means, "Why are people such weirdos?"

That reminds me of one of the better "adopt a pet" ads featuring a cat getting distressed about a little boy playing in a sandbox ("Poop, damn you, POOP!!!!").

Speaking of annoying Samsung phone commercials, I really dislike the one that shows how the Edge revolutionizes being an asshole.  Even if you're just discretely glancing at the edge of your phone, people are still going to notice that you're tuning them out. 

I know, right? And won't you have to look at it longer because it's a narrow view and has to scroll?

• Love 7

There is also a cell phone commercial that tells me my cell phone is the first thing I look at in the morning, the last thing I look at before bed, the one thing I’d never want to lose, etc.  First of all, it’s not any of those things; my cell phone is generally in my briefcase or car, with a battery that needs to be charged, and I bother to turn it on maybe twice a month.  But even if I did use it regularly, come on.  It's a phone.  But I guess it's honest advertising for many people.  They should just come out and say “It’s the most important thing in the world to you.”

• Love 12

As we enter the election season, the mod team just wanted to clarify something:

We're not going to allow political ad discussion here because there's really no way to discuss the ads without it devolving into a discussion about the actual politics, and that never ends well.

Posts violating this request will be deleted without explanation.

• Love 12

I'm glad to read that others take their shoes off when they enter the house. It amazes me that so many people on TV wear shoes in the house and store shoes in their bedrooms.

Other than my work shoes, it's a comfort thing for me. I would never dream of demanding that visitors take off their shoes before coming in.

• Love 3

Other than my work shoes, it's a comfort thing for me. I would never dream of demanding that visitors take off their shoes before coming in.

Me, either, Riley!!!!  And the (very) few times I've been asked to leave my shoes by the door I'm grossed out thinking about all the smelly, sweaty, athletes' feet people walking on the floors that I'm now walking on!  YUCK! 

Methinks this is a conversation better served on the "Pet Peeves" forum, cuz people really feel strongly one way or the other...we could go on about this til tomorrow!  ha!  But thank you for thinking like me -- I wonder if we're in the minority...

• Love 6

Aldi, having a kid mumble through a mouthful of peanut butter is the LAST way to get me interested in shopping in your stores.

Also, peanut butter brands are NOT interchangeable so I apologize but I am not going to buy your bargain peanut butter. I won't buy Jif either for that matter.

• Love 8

There's a new ad for ancestry.com featuring a man who spent his life doing German shit until he learned the truth about his ancestry...  Am I wrong for thinking he learned he had Gypsy or Jewish ancestors in Germany in the 1940's? Well, it turns out he discovered via DNA test, that his ancestry is Scottish, prompting him to ditch the lederhosen and wear a kilt. What fickle fool!

• Love 4

Not sure what is going on at Chobani's ad agency, but if they got backlash for that same-sex couple ad, maybe inter-species dating isn't the best direction to go.

This ad was sponsored by NAMBullA, the National Man Bull Love Association.

Incidentally, I was inspired by the topic to dig out one of my old CDs. As I type this, I'm listening to Guadalcanal Diary's "Cattle Prod":

I got Bossie and Flossie and Rosebud too

They swish their tails and they all say "moo"

When I do my milkin' feel my temperature rise

See a little twinkle in those big brown eyes

I got a cattle prod

Every time I see one of those stupid Jeff Goldblum apartment ads I want to find him and punish him for those ads by crying at him for hours about the horrible apartment market in my area. First of all, what is even the point of having him play a character? Every character he plays is the same and there's no story line, so what in the ever-loving Hell is the point, other than seeing Jeff Goldblum play a character which could just as easily be achieved by Jeff Goldblum playing Jeff Goldblum. Second of all, the website is useless, at best. I tried using it once. I put in my maximum price and of the ten apartments featured per page, probably seven to eight of them were way over my price range. A couple were "featured" so I figured they were ads and didn't get too bugged. But most of the rest of the time they were just showing me the same buildings I could have found by Googling "apartments." It's definitely no better than Zillow Rentals. And then, after trying it and calling a couple of the places, I found out that the prices that they had on the website weren't even correct about half the time. So if I could never, ever see one of those rage-inducing ads ever again, I'd be a much happier camper.

• Love 9

Apartments.com is now owned by CoStar, which is a research site for commercial real estate. (I work in marketing and support in commercial real estate; I'm not a broker.) The information is somewhat accurate, but far from 100%. The researchers employed by the site call the brokers (and reason stands, the apartment complexes) and get information from whoever answers the phone. I've been in the position of answering their questions before. They'll have very, very old listings or not recent/updated listings. They get paid A LOT for their commercial real estate research--it's only available via subscription, and my company pays for it. In some cases, it doesn't seem like they do basic web searches to verify info if they can't get anyone on the phone/e-mail. That having been said, they are worlds better than they used to be.

I used multiple sites when I looked for my apartment 1.5 years ago. No one site does it all.

• Love 3

Aldi, having a kid mumble through a mouthful of peanut butter is the LAST way to get me interested in shopping in your stores.

Also, peanut butter brands are NOT interchangeable so I apologize but I am not going to buy your bargain peanut butter. I won't buy Jif either for that matter.

I worked with a woman who had lived in Germany for a while. She was absolutely thrilled by all the European brands of stuff in Aldi.  I think we just think it's cheap junk because we're unfamiliar with it.  Although, I've never shopped there, so it just might BE cheap European junk.

• Love 3
I worked with a woman who had lived in Germany for a while. She was absolutely thrilled by all the European brands of stuff in Aldi.  I think we just think it's cheap junk because we're unfamiliar with it.  Although, I've never shopped there, so it just might BE cheap European junk.

some stuff at Aldi is pretty good, but I wouldn't buy everything there. Basically no name brands, but the packaging makes their products look like the name brand. I don't see them advertise very often, though

There's an Aldi up the street from me but I seldom go in there because it's depressing.  I feel like a refugee, foraging for food.

This should probably go under "Ads That Scare The Hell Out Of You":  The Promoted Stories photos we see below has the picture of the kid with the caption "Disturbing Photos of the Most Evil Men in History as Children" and that is the ugliest, devil spawn kid I have ever seen.

• Love 4
Word of advice: Don't get pissed off and punch out your laptop screen like the douchecanoe in their commercial.

I don't get why his fist is through the monitor the wrong way. Who punches a laptop through the back of it, and wouldn't that just shut it?

GAH!!  I have never even considered the soles of my shoes before!  I am disgusted now, and will probably die of some exotic, side-walk borne disease.

I've gotten into the habit of dragging my feet/scraping my soles on the concrete when I get out of the car at home. This probably looks pretty weird to anyone peeking out from other condos, but I'm OK with it, I guess; it makes me feel better.

I'm glad to read that others take their shoes off when they enter the house. It amazes me that so many people on TV wear shoes in the house and store shoes in their bedrooms.

I am a shoe-taker-offer at home, as soon as I come in mostly (unless I am running back inside in the morning because I left something), but I don't really care if others wear shoes inside...though I cannot understand why someone would. What I really do not get is people on TV who put their shoes--sometimes even soles-down--right on couches and beds! WTF?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4

There's an Aldi up the street from me but I seldom go in there because it's depressing.  I feel like a refugee, foraging for food.

This should probably go under "Ads That Scare The Hell Out Of You":  The Promoted Stories photos we see below has the picture of the kid with the caption "Disturbing Photos of the Most Evil Men in History as Children" and that is the ugliest, devil spawn kid I have ever seen.

I go to Aldi about 2x a month, definitely NOT for meat or frozen goods but GREAT prices on fresh produce (although I once bought advertised 25cents/pd @ 2 pds 'bananas' that never ripened I chumped up to being 'plantains'), taco stuff, spices, bagged snacks, clearance items, milk and coffee creamers, bulk coffee, and canned goods. I consider it my stock up store for essentials like tuna, tomatoes, cream soups, ect. They advertise weekly specials on website only but nothing note-worthy and have to go to store live for best deals as each store varies ( I got 5 lbs white pepper for $5 and sold excess to friends LOL). Love the parking lot quarter exchange too....(Im crazy like that) Hope this helps!

Edited by Flnurse
  • Love 1

I don't get why his fist is through the monitor the wrong way. Who punches a laptop through the back of it, and wouldn't that just shut it?

I'm guessing their ad agency drew it that way on the story-boards (those big white cards Darrin Stevens used to draw on Bewitched), so that's what the director filmed.

• Love 2

Oh. My. GOD.  WHAT the fuck was that?  There was no way in hell I was clicking on that link to to find out.  That seriously needs to be banned from showing up on this site.  I had to purge my internet buffer.  I don't want the demon image anywhere on my computer.

• Love 1

What I really do not get is people on TV who put their shoes--sometimes even soles-down--right on couches and beds! WTF?

What I don't understand is why everyone in commercials, especially those with multiple crotchfruit, have white carpet.

• Love 5

I've been bombarded with Macy's Pentatonix singers lately. The singing is just fine, I'll give them that, but do we have to see them? When they show each one in close-up, each one is weirder looking that the last. It's like they went out of their way to recruit the goofiest looking people they could find. 

• Love 2

I had foot surgery weeks ago, so  I'm home during the day, watching the court shows.  This commercial drives me nuts.  First, for the fake purring in the background, and then the woman's voice and how she pronounces the word "perfect", she says "purrrrfect" which isn't cute at all IMO.

Doesn't that little girl in the commercial know how to call 911?

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buFHobKU78I

I had foot surgery weeks ago, so  I'm home during the day, watching the court shows.  This commercial drives me nuts.  First, for the fake purring in the background, and then the woman's voice and how she pronounces the word "perfect", she says "purrrrfect" which isn't cute at all IMO.

The amount of money you spend on a cat bed is inversely purr-portional to the cat's use of the bed.

ETA: I hope you feel better soon, Neurochick.

This is where you can buy cat beds that will actually get used:

Edited by erikdepressant
  • Love 8

This commercial drives me nuts.  First, for the fake purring in the background, and then the woman's voice and how she pronounces the word "perfect", she says "purrrrfect" which isn't cute at all IMO.

They should have had her do it just once at the end and really draw it out, like you hear Catwoman do in an old Batman movie or TV show. Just lengthening the word a little in the middle of a sentence sounds dumb.

• Love 3

Please Sony Studios, give Alex Trebek a raise so he won't have to do those Colonial Penn commercials anymore.  It could be worse, though.  Alex could be doing endorsements for DirectTV like such distinguised alumni as Rob Lowe, Kevin Bacon, or Eli Manning.

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 2

Please Sony Studios, give Alex Trebek a raise so he won't have to do those Colonial Penn commercials anymore.  It could be worse, though.  Alex could be doing endorsements for Dish Network like such distinguised alumni as Rob Lowe, Kevin Bacon, or Eli Manning.

OMG! Can you see Alex as Sleezy French Guy Alex? He'd be in hog heaven the way he loves to over pronounce foreign words, especially French.

• Love 11

I've been bombarded with Macy's Pentatonix singers lately. The singing is just fine, I'll give them that, but do we have to see them? When they show each one in close-up, each one is weirder looking that the last. It's like they went out of their way to recruit the goofiest looking people they could find. 

Do you think Pentatonix, one of the biggest bands in the country, was HIRED as individuals for that ad?

Edited by Rick Kitchen
  • Love 1

Doesn't that little girl in the commercial know how to call 911?

That was my reaction when I first saw the ad. I'm willing to concede that she's probably scared and in shock, but she certainly seems old enough to know about 911.

• Love 2

Please Sony Studios, give Alex Trebek a raise so he won't have to do those Colonial Penn commercials anymore. It could be worse, though. Alex could be doing endorsements for Dish Network like such distinguised alumni as Rob Lowe, Kevin Bacon, or Eli Manning.

Rob & Eli actually have done/do ads for DirecTV, not Dish. I'm not sure about Kevin Bacon though, I haven't seen his ad yet.

• Love 1

I love that the Belsombra ad tells us not to take it we have narcolepsy.  In other words, if you have trouble staying awake, don't take this sleeping pill.

I did a double take on that warning. If you involuntarily fall asleep all day why would you take a sleeping pill? Of course, that's similar to warning post menopausal women not to use the concoctions for dried out hoohaws if they're pregnant.

• Love 5

Actually, we have several official "cat beds" in the condo and the two cats use most of 'em.  Their favorite, however, is the box I covered with a T-shirt - they use the neck hole as the door.  Kitties love them some boxes!

Yes.

Yes, they do.

70540040f2500070c8b6259e01175a0f.jpg

• Love 13