Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Maverick

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

1 hour ago, Rinaldo said:

(From pages ago)

It's also what they do in movies, or filmed TV series, for eating scenes. With the number of retakes and different angles that have to be covered (a dinner scene in a movie might take a whole day to shoot), there's no way everybody could actually eat everything they chew. So there are spit-bucket people whose job is to dash around the table each time the camera stops.

I'm not a fan of the silly song, but I like that they've had the same Honey Bunches of Oats lady for so long -- since 2002. It turns out that she's an actual Post company employee! Diana Hunter retired last year after 41 years on the job (for the last half of which she also appeared in the ads), but returned to kick off this new campaign (which will apparently then continue without her). I hope she got a good contract on the commercials and will now live out her retirement in luxury.

She was also known as "Herkel" back in the old TWOP days.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I like the Honey Bunch of Oats lady! I think she's adorable. Mileage truly does vary.

I agree - it is refreshing to see someone proud of their work but I agree she can get on some people's nerves.  Speaking of nerves, the couple who put their heads flat on the table to see how thin or thick the crust is......just stop.

• Like 12

4 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

I'd actually prefer listening to the Honey Bunches of Oats lady sing than listen to the Geico group screeching out "Heaven is a place on earth". 

Same here.  And, I'd listen to it on an hour-long loop before I'd watch that "Johnsonville brats are made in the U.S.A." woman's commercial a single time.  None of this is to say I like the new Honey Bunches of Oats commercial with the singing, just that the Progressive one is even more annoying and that Johnsonville one will be Exhibit A in my affirmative defense if I ever happen across that woman and punch her square in the mouth.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 5

I normally don't mind - or, in the case of "sprinkles are for winners," outright like - the Jamie commercials, but that one with the a capella group is awful; Jamie manages to be even more annoying than the singers.

• Like 9

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 7:46 PM, chenoa333 said:

I believe you, but that's not true where i live. 

There aren't any where I live.  The closest one was near Chadd's Ford, PA, and it was a lot more expensive, but I'm not even sure if it's there anymore.

But that commercial is obnoxious.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:10 PM, BK1978 said:

Also, I hate the 24 Karat song as well.  I believe that is Bruno Mars singing the song but I am not positive.  

Yes, it is Bruno Mars, and I hate that song with a passion.

14 hours ago, Duke2801 said:

Oh dear lord. Talk about a blooper reel that nobody asked for! 

I didn't ask for it, but I find it very amusing.

• Like 2

It's also what they do in movies, or filmed TV series, for eating scenes. With the number of retakes and different angles that have to be covered (a dinner scene in a movie might take a whole day to shoot), there's no way everybody could actually eat everything they chew. So there are spit-bucket people whose job is to dash around the table each time the camera stops.

I saw a touring version of "Hello, Dolly" with Carol Channing. There's a scene where she's supposed to be eating chicken & dumplings. You can't have a spit bucket on stage. It took 'em a while to figure out how to make realistic-looking dumplings out of cotton candy, so Channing wouldn't be laden with too much food.

• Like 5

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:20 PM, chessiegal said:

I was watching Giada this afternoon (don't judge, she has some good recipes), and she took 2 bites of a dish and clearly swallowed. I've read she exercises something like 4-5 hours a day.

Wow, that reminded me of another Food Network show from that time in which we endlessly speculated about whether the hostess had an eating disorder or not because she would sample whatever crap she was making but she never seemed to swallow her miniscule portion. We used to rag on her show all time on TVwoP. Robin's Quickfix Meals?

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:23 PM, peacheslatour said:

Really? Huh, I think It's funny.

I think it's rude for them to bring a meal when someone else is cooking for you but even worse that they're trying to subvert her Thanksgiving dinner with their own food and without her noticing!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Speaking of nerves, the couple who put their heads flat on the table to see how thin or thick the crust is......just stop.

Whoever created this fever dream of idiocy had to have been baked out of their minds.  In no way does this make me want to even consider a Little Caesars pizza.

The ad for Rexulti bums me the fuck out.  Maybe I don’t truly understand depression, but when the lady says she no longer has to use the mask she still doesn’t look happy!  I mean, I know that taking med isn’t a magic pill, but her face looks no different at the end of the ad than it did at the beginning.  Maybe it’s just the actress.  

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

I'd actually prefer listening to the Honey Bunches of Oats lady sing than listen to the Geico group screeching out "Heaven is a place on earth". 

I would rather listen to my cat cough up a hair ball than listen to either. 

5 hours ago, HighMaintenance said:

Ahh i don’t remember that. Why did

she get that nickname?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, mojoween said:

In no way does this make me want to even consider a Little Caesars pizza.

Ditto, but OTOH, even if Little Caesar's were my only option for pizza, I might just go without pizza.  Besides, I like a good crust!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Duke2801 said:
7 hours ago, HighMaintenance said:

Ahh i don’t remember that. Why did

she get that nickname?

Urkel.  HERkel.

• Like 4

The GMC ad where the woman plops down two toy trucks on the kitchen counter and tells her husband she got a Black Friday deal, and the husband says "I got one too" and takes her outside to show her two GMC trucks, one red and one black.  She runs to the black one and says "I love it" and he says "I love that you love it" and she again shares her love for the black truck and the husband says "I like red".

But hey, I bet I didn't have to type all that -- I could have stopped after "toy trucks" -- because that ad is on all the freakin' time!  Trying to watch the Rams/Chiefs and that ad has played at every commercial break, sometimes twice in the same break.

Everyone hates the holiday ads where people are giving each other cars -- it just makes it worse when the ads are so over-played.  Gah!  If I was in the market for a truck, I'd go to a GMC dealer, show them my money, and leave.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I agree - it is refreshing to see someone proud of their work but I agree she can get on some people's nerves.  Speaking of nerves, the couple who put their heads flat on the table to see how thin or thick the crust is......just stop.

What bugs me about that ad is they're doing it all wrong. If you want to see thre crust on the bottem, look at it from the edge of the table, not with your head laying on it!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

What bugs me about that ad is they're doing it all wrong. If you want to see thre crust on the bottem, look at it from the edge of the table, not with your head laying on it!

Or just pick the damn thing up and look underneath.

• Like 9

21 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

The GMC ad where the woman plops down two toy trucks on the kitchen counter and tells her husband she got a Black Friday deal, and the husband says "I got one too" and takes her outside to show her two GMC trucks, one red and one black.  She runs to the black one and says "I love it" and he says "I love that you love it" and she again shares her love for the black truck and the husband says "I like red".

I was going to chime in to say that ad is just so awful and NOT bc it's overplayed....it's because the people in it should be loaded into a rocket and shot into the sun. Here it is in all its offensive glory.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/d0cU/2019-gmc-acadia-2018-holidays-one-for-you-one-for-me-t2

Edited by Prairie Fire
  • Like 3

That stupid Little Caesar’s ad was just on and I noticed that the pizza IS ON THE TABLE.  The box is on the end of the table.

So wouldn’t they have noticed the freaking crust when they took it out?!?

• Like 10

On 11/19/2018 at 10:38 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Substitute dialog: 

"Is that a pizza? There's no crust on it. Do you see a crust?"

"Nope, no crust. Weird. We should call and get a refund."

• Like 6

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:38 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Speaking of nerves, the couple who put their heads flat on the table to see how thin or thick the crust is......just stop.

If you have to do this, the crust is too thin.  Then again I'm a Chicago Deep Dish or Detroit-style pizza guy.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tom Holmberg said:

If you have to do this, the crust is too thin.  Then again I'm a Chicago Deep Dish or Detroit-style pizza guy.

Me too I like the crust hot, tear it off, dip it in butter or marinara sauce!

• Like 3

Every time I see Jennifer Aniston on Avenio commercial, all I can think about is how expensive its gotten since she started appearing on their ads

• Like 4

On 11/19/2018 at 11:38 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

My kids love that one. They laugh like crazy. My 8 year old especially. 

• Like 2

This ad is super cute, so normally I would say it’s a favorite commercial, but Christ almighty the cover of the song is so godawful horrendous it makes me hate it.  I should probably just watch with the sound off.

• Like 3

Heh. “How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)” is from 1965.  

And the ad is stalking me, because it came on AGAIN as I was typing this.

• Like 4

Mojoween: you're kidding me! I guess I better give it another listen. Wasn't that Marvin Gaye? OMG! It's unrecognizable. I had the volume low the first time I watched. 

Edited by friendperidot
  • Like 2

That really is a horrendous cover!  I almost didn’t recognize it, either, until I listened to the lyrics.  I think the version I’m most familiar with is James Taylor’s.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Mojoween: you're kidding me! I guess I better give it another listen. Wasn't that Marvin Gaye? OMG! It's unrecognizable. I had the volume low the first time I watched. 

Yep Marvin Gaye was the original artist but like Browncoat I’m more familiar with James Taylor.

What that girl does to it is a crime against both men.

• Like 11

6 hours ago, mojoween said:

Yep Marvin Gaye was the original artist but like Browncoat I’m more familiar with James Taylor.

Oh god, what a horrific cover of a nice song. And the whole commercial is just depressing. Poor kitty.

On 10/29/2018 at 3:15 PM, Bastet said:

No, the brand of her food line (for people) is Rachael Ray, and includes "EVOO," balsamic vinegar, and some seasonings.  I'm not sure if it's in production anymore, but at any rate it came out well after the show started, and the show is where she began the EVOO crap (where she'd say "E-V-O-O," and then every time immediately follow that up with the explanation that she means extra virgin olive oil).

Charmin.  Toyota uses "Let's Go Places."

Yeah I want Toyota to go to ONE PLACE...kinda warm...

On 10/29/2018 at 3:15 PM, Bastet said:

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh god, what a horrific cover of a nice song. And the whole commercial is just depressing. Poor kitty.

Why is it depressing?  He’s a bodega cat, lots of them in NYC.  Most of them live in the stores, and keep the places free from vermin.  This one not only had a name, but a collar.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Why is it depressing?  He’s a bodega cat, lots of them in NYC.  Most of them live in the stores, and keep the places free from vermin.  This one not only had a name, but a collar.

And what looks to be a very caring owner!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

And what looks to be a very caring owner!

Who should be taking the cat home with him at the close of business. The cat looked like he felt abandoned.

• Like 1

I was thinking that if it's a bodega cat, he has a job and that is to keep the mice and other rodents out of the store and it's food. Those rodents are mostly (I don't know much about them, I've worked hard all of my life to keep my ignorance) nocturnal and don't come out much when there are people around, so they come out after the place is closed and that's when the cat's real job begins. Unrelated to the commercial, I did see a mouse running between shelves in Dollar Tree in broad daylight - I wouldn't go back in for quite a while and I don't buy foodstuffs there. And, I am from the midwest, but lived the 70s and early 80s in the WDC area, but I never heard the word "bodega" until I watched Law & Order regularly. Took me a couple of times to understand what they were saying and understand what it was.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, friendperidot said:

I was thinking that if it's a bodega cat, he has a job and that is to keep the mice and other rodents out of the store and it's food. Those rodents are mostly (I don't know much about them, I've worked hard all of my life to keep my ignorance) nocturnal and don't come out much when there are people around, so they come out after the place is closed and that's when the cat's real job begins. Unrelated to the commercial, I did see a mouse running between shelves in Dollar Tree in broad daylight - I wouldn't go back in for quite a while and I don't buy foodstuffs there. And, I am from the midwest, but lived the 70s and early 80s in the WDC area, but I never heard the word "bodega" until I watched Law & Order regularly. Took me a couple of times to understand what they were saying and understand what it was.

I never did either until I watched Law & Order. 

• Like 3

Not to mention the songwriter.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I know the cat is there for pest control but you'd think, at this festive time of year, Mr. Bodega guy could make an exception and take puss home for some Christmas cheer.

Except the store is the cat’s home — its territory. It wouldn’t like being moved. It would spend all of Xmas hiding under a bed somewhere. 

• Like 14

I go to Whole Foods many days of the week because they have quality food I want. I've never seen anyone dancing done the aisles, but I have ignored screaming children.

Whole Foods is part of this incomprehensible trend to potray a company's as morons. There's a series of ads for some VR helmet and everyone using acts like the dumb relative everyone wants to ban from the family.  Totally wants me to buy the product. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Except the store is the cat’s home — its territory. It wouldn’t like being moved. It would spend all of Xmas hiding under a bed somewhere. 

Mine wouldn't! LOL

3 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Whole Foods is part of this incomprehensible trend to potray a company's as morons. There's a series of ads for some VR helmet and everyone using acts like the dumb relative everyone wants to ban from the family.  Totally wants me to buy the product. 

Ugh. There's an ad for some quasi-VR device with some unsavory people:

• A filthy-looking "musician" seems way too interested in watching himself in concert to care about the party I assume he is hosting.
  • A grody woman (I think) is getting off in a bathtub while watching The Shape of Water ("I may never leave my tub!").
  • Two men who are not in the same room are watching a basketball game and discussing their body odor (Not sure whose).

I always hate how in these commercials for VR devices, they always show the user swaying and moving around as if they feel the action. I seriously doubt someone watching a roller-coaster with one would be waving their arms in their air over their heads.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Maverick said:

The kid with the VR helmet isn't the customer, his father is.  And I don't see anything moronic about him, anyway.

1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

If I walked into Whole Foods and found someone zooming and dancing in the aisles, I wouldn't spend my money there.

I thought this was talking about the bodega cat at first.  I was quite confused.

• Like 2

I always hate how in these commercials for VR devices, they always show the user swaying and moving around as if they feel the action. I seriously doubt someone watching a roller-coaster with one would be waving their arms in their air over their heads.

You haven't seen the ad for one of those complicated treadmill/cross training things that the guy talks about running along the beach in Greece waving to the people? I don't even think those are a VR device, I think they are more like a video screen attached to the exercise thingy. I've never used one. I have used treadmills, treadmills in front of the tv and I have never, ever, ever thought I was running anywhere but in my living room in front of the tv.

Edited to add, I have used a VR device, it was pretty primitive, about 10 years ago, it was a program to help psych staff understand what it was like to have Schizophrenia, it made me sick to my stomach and triggered a migraine. But it was fascinating.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Like 3