Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Maverick said:

With that shaved head, head he looks like some serial killer.  

Seriously.  I would SO much rather see a naturally-balding head than this baby's bottom look.  It creeps me the hell out, and it is pervasive as hell!  That one commercial where the groom shaves his head and leers into the camera, YUCK!!

• Love 4

I have long thought that the Skittle ad where the girl pick and eats the "skittles-pox"  off a boy's face was THE most disgusting commercial. 

And now Skittles has some messed up commercial with a giraffe.  The giraffe eats rainbows.  And there's a guy on a stool, "milking"  the giraffe.  Of course, the "milk"  isn't milk at all - there are Skittles pouring out of the giraffe and  into a bucket.   Now, if this were done in cartoon form, it would be less disturbing.  But it's a real person, on a milking stool, next to a giraffe.  It took me a minute to understand that the point was this is how you "taste the rainbow."  the giraffe can reach the rainbow, eats it, and makes skittle-milk. 

Why?  Why, skittles, are you doing this to me?  

I was just coming here to comment on this. And the guy milking the giraffe is Rastafarian, for some inexplicable reason. What on earth is the Skittles company thinking? Who wants to eat candy that's either picked off the face of some greasy looking teenager or milked out of a giraffe?

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

Seriously.  I would SO much rather see a naturally-balding head than this baby's bottom look.  It creeps me the hell out, and it is pervasive as hell!  That one commercial where the groom shaves his head and leers into the camera, YUCK!!

He's the same asshole who shaved his head moments before a job interview after noticing the men in their chairmen of the board photos/paintings are all bald.

7 hours ago, Maverick said:

I can't stand that Tide ad. "I'm awesome!". Yeah, no.   More like a tool.   With that shaved head, head he looks like some serial killer.  

I was disappointed after getting the impression he was a nice guy after appearing on Family Guy.

• Love 3

I can't wait for Tuesday when  they'll knock off the political ads.

No, mods - this isn't about candidates.  It's that we have a proposition in California about animal cruelty that broadcasts 24/7 and I can't stand the shots of tortured animals.  I already voted.  I know this goes on all over the world and do what I can, but Geez.  I can't hit the mute button fast enough.

• Love 18
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I was just coming here to comment on this. And the guy milking the giraffe is Rastafarian, for some inexplicable reason. What on earth is the Skittles company thinking? Who wants to eat candy that's either picked off the face of some greasy looking teenager or milked out of a giraffe?

Yes!  What in the world are they thinking?  I have to change the channel on the Pox one and now this?  It’s gross- he eats them!

Skittles are a decent non-chocolate candy. Why in the hell would they choose to go with makes you want to vomit marketing choices?  Yeah, I’m talking about it so there’s that but I used to enjoy a bag of the Wild Berry (original good too) and now I can’t imagine eating them because they’ve ruined them for me. 

• Love 7
On 10/30/2018 at 2:34 PM, chessiegal said:

Some days I watch Golden Girls marathons on Logo and will see the occasional condom commercial.

On 11/1/2018 at 7:51 AM, chenoa333 said:

Well THAT sounds like the target demographic for selling condoms! 

Old people have sex. And according to this 2017 AARP article: STD Rates Keep Rising for Older Adults, so sounds like it's the perfect demographic. Also, Logo used to be the "gay" channel, so gay men are also a prime demographic to market condoms to.

On 11/1/2018 at 1:51 AM, backformore said:

I have long thought that the Skittle ad where the girl pick and eats the "skittles-pox"  off a boy's face was THE most disgusting commercial. 

And now Skittles has some messed up commercial with a giraffe.  The giraffe eats rainbows.  And there's a guy on a stool, "milking"  the giraffe.  Of course, the "milk"  isn't milk at all - there are Skittles pouring out of the giraffe and  into a bucket.   Now, if this were done in cartoon form, it would be less disturbing.  But it's a real person, on a milking stool, next to a giraffe.  It took me a minute to understand that the point was this is how you "taste the rainbow."  the giraffe can reach the rainbow, eats it, and makes skittle-milk. 

Why?  Why, skittles, are you doing this to me?  

Don't forget the one with David Groh ("Rhoda"'s husband), who was getting milked like a cow, but it turns out his milk is sour because he was eating sour Skittles.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, spiderpig said:

I can't wait for Tuesday when  they'll knock off the political ads.

No, mods - this isn't about candidates.  It's that we have a proposition in California about animal cruelty that broadcasts 24/7 and I can't stand the shots of tortured animals.  I already voted.  I know this goes on all over the world and do what I can, but Geez.  I can't hit the mute button fast enough.

I always tell myself that the somewhat graphic animal cruelty ads are not made for people like us who are already aware of these atrocities. It's for the folks who DON'T know/believe that these things exist every day, all day, everywhere. If those commercials can educate/change just one person, then it's worth it. I can always hit the mute button. And I'm quite fast at it! Lol!

• Love 9
On 10/31/2018 at 3:40 PM, zillabreeze said:

Since I'm a Big Boned Gal, this is NOT fat shaming.... The longass commercial for My Fit Jeans makes me stabby.

It's just huge woman after huge woman shoving herself into the cheap stretchy "skinny" jeans.   Ummmm,  Johnsonville called and wants their sausage casing back.

Why? Just why?  Good and Plenty women can (and do) dress nicely.  But to shoehorn 250+ lbs into tight clothes ain't the way to go.  I can't imagine that it's good for the blood circulation either.

Every day I see women of 200 pounds or more packed into yoga pants and skinny jeans, muffin tops exploding all over the place, without the least bit of self-consciousness.  I don't know what more I can comment about it without getting into trouble.

• Love 11

Okay, the relentless commercial that is really grating on me lately:

Any DQ "Fan Food, Not Fast Food" spot with that Andy Richter-ish announcer.   The voice is annoying as hell, but even worse, DQ is trying to force a phrase that does not exist.   There's no such thing as "fan food," no matter how many times they repeat it in every commercial break.

I googled "fan food" and found this in the Urban Dictionary:

fan food

Dairy Queen's failed attempt at rebranding fast food.

"Hey you wanna go get fan food?"
"What?"
"Dairy Queen"
"Oh, you mean fast food?"

by Tomtris June 02, 2016

Edited by millennium
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, millennium said:

Okay, the relentless commercial that is really grating on me lately:

Any DQ "Fan Food, Not Fast Food" spot with that Andy Richter-ish announcer.   The voice is annoying as hell, but even worse, DQ is trying to force a phrase that does not exist.   There's no such thing as "fan food," no matter how many times they repeat it in every commercial break.

I googled "fan food" and found this in the Urban Dictionary:

Yeah, they really need to stop trying to invent cutesy new words.  Fan food means nothing.  Leave Dairy Queen alone!  Remember when they tried to introduce "healthing" as a VERB?

• Love 6
On 11/2/2018 at 9:04 PM, SmithW6079 said:

I hate the Tide Pods commercial with Rob Gronkowski (Gronk). It sounds like he's saying, "Tie Pahs." Enunciate dammit!

Thank you for posting this. Every time he says that, I want to break my TV. It just drives me up the wall.

• Love 6
On 11/2/2018 at 9:04 PM, SmithW6079 said:

I hate the Tide Pods commercial with Rob Gronkowski (Gronk). It sounds like he's saying, "Tie Pahs." Enunciate dammit!

Gronk would totally eat Tide Pods.

• Love 15

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but the USAA "water rocked our world" commercial is annoying on so many levels. A wet stuffed animal is not world-rocking except to a three year old,  most in-laws will cut you some slack if you've got a water leak, and as another comment on ispot pointed out, this is really insensitive to those who have lost everything in storms and hurricanes, big privilege that USAA will let you pay them money for insurance, and lastly, so narcissistic that Sgt Baker needs to bring up how he is greeted on the phone.  

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/dt3J/usaa-usaa-members-for-life-the-baker-family

Edited by SoSueMe
changed period to comma :)
  • Love 12
On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:32 PM, KnoxForPres said:

Skittles are a decent non-chocolate candy. Why in the hell would they choose to go with makes you want to vomit marketing choices?  

I think Skittles are nasty, so I think the marketing choices are perfect. ;-)

There's a new ad I saw last night that wasn't annoying to me but I am sure someone will, especially if it gets overplayed. The ad in question was for some sort of Donald Trump teddy bear with a mop of yellow hair and a removable American flag inside. One of the selling points seemed to be that it could fit on a Hell's Angels' motorcycle handlebars, at least I think that's what they said.

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

The ad in question was for some sort of Donald Trump teddy bear with a mop of yellow hair and a removable American flag inside. 

Yeah, that's an annoying ad.  First time I saw it, I thought it was some kind of SNL spoof.

• Love 8

Argh! There's an ad for some super duty deodorant for people with excessive sweating that shows a woman trying to dry her nasty armpits under a restroom hand dryer. First of all, GROSS! Second, the air in those dryers is hot so it probably will only make her problem worse!

• Love 9

That one commercial where the groom shaves his head and leers into the camera, YUCK!!

In a slight defense of the groom in that one, apparently his groomsmen had shaved something embarrassing into his hair while he was unconscious, and it was either shave his head completely or possibly humiliate the bride.  Don't get me wrong - it's a stupid commercial, but at least there's a reason for the groom to do that.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

In a slight defense of the groom in that one, apparently his groomsmen had shaved something embarrassing into his hair while he was unconscious, and it was either shave his head completely or possibly humiliate the bride.  Don't get me wrong - it's a stupid commercial, but at least there's a reason for the groom to do that.

I think he's hot.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Yeah, but I'd be pissed if someone did that to me the night before my wedding. That's a dick move.

• Love 7

Once again, Hulu is showing the HP computer ad with the little brat that uses his mom's finger to unlock her computer, and mom thinks it's cute. No. No. No. It's not cute. It's not a toy. And what if mom had something that wasn't appropriate for the kid on YouTube? My kids know that the laptop isn't a toy. They don't touch it without me or their father present. And if they're watching something, they leave it alone. 

• Love 8

I just saw another commercial that's barf inducing. For Chipotle. Some Godawful thing wrapped in a tortilla. The younger of my twin toddlers was walking by, and declared it "yukky looking" and made a squinchy face. I agree wholeheartedly. That crap looks barf making. 

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Hey, dummy in the Crest Whitening Strips commercials - if you think your teeth are yellow, you need to go back and learn your primary colors.

But they're not perfectly absolutely white either! That's unacceptable in commercial land! 

• Love 6
On 11/4/2018 at 5:28 PM, SoSueMe said:

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but the USAA "water rocked our world" commercial is annoying on so many levels. A wet stuffed animal is not world-rocking except to a three year old,  most in-laws will cut you some slack if you've got a water leak, and as another comment on ispot pointed out, this is really insensitive to those who have lost everything in storms and hurricanes, big privilege that USAA will let you pay them money for insurance, and lastly, so narcissistic that Sgt Baker needs to bring up how he is greeted on the phone.  

Normally I really like the USAA commercials, but this one bothers me too. In addition to what you said, I really think I've seen Mrs. Baker in other commercials.  I thought these were real families and really USAA customers!

• Love 4
On 11/4/2018 at 5:28 PM, SoSueMe said:

Those USAA commercials drive me crazy because every one of them mentions that the person in the commercial is supposedly greeted in regards to their rank in the military. Is it really that important to people who are or were in the military that they are addressed by their rank when calling places like their insurance company? 

• Love 6
On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 4:28 PM, SoSueMe said:

All of this yes. In-laws are going to understand your three year old probably not. But the part that bugs me is she didn't realize water did that much damage. She's never watch the news? Seen what happens in hurricanes and the aftermath? Big storms. But also her husband is in the military and this is what rocked her world? He's never told her the crap he's seen? Places he's been stationed, never been deployed to hurricane or other disaster areas? Storms where ever he was deployed? My dad still talks about typhoon season he experienced during Vietnam. Every time one hits he brings it up again. How bad it was. He did search and rescue. He still talks about all the places he's had to rescue people. Being called out on Thanksgiving during a blizzard to go rescue someone in the mountains. Having a spouse in the military she should be even more aware of how bad things can be not "shocked" and having her world "rocked" by a water leak?

• Love 12
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

But also her husband is in the military and this is what rocked her world? He's never told her the crap he's seen?  Having a spouse in the military she should be even more aware of how bad things can be not "shocked" and having her world "rocked" by a water leak?

As a military spouse, I wish I could like this a million times.  In regards to the ad, I think maybe she thought all that bad stuff would never happen to her, so it was a shock. Obviously she's never had the "deployment curse" visit her. That's where everything falls apart and fails two days after your spouse gets deployed for 6 months or more. ? Not that I would know anything about it, mind you. No.. Not at all. 

• Love 19

I also don't think they explain their story very well.  They apparently come back from vacation and he goes to get something out of the dryer.  I want more information.  How long were they on vacation for him to remember what was in the dryer?  I think they should just leave out the detail about him needing to get something out of the dryer.  (TBH, that might be the radio commercial.  I never pay attention when the TV one comes on.)

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Jaded said:

Those USAA commercials drive me crazy because every one of them mentions that the person in the commercial is supposedly greeted in regards to their rank in the military. Is it really that important to people who are or were in the military that they are addressed by their rank when calling places like their insurance company? 

It's not important to me, but I think it's a nice little touch, a bit of respect for my service, even though I've been out of the Air Force for 30 years.  Damn, has it been that long? Now I feel old!

• Love 10
12 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

As a military spouse, I wish I could like this a million times.  In regards to the ad, I think maybe she thought all that bad stuff would never happen to her, so it was a shock. Obviously she's never had the "deployment curse" visit her. That's where everything falls apart and fails two days after your spouse gets deployed for 6 months or more. ? Not that I would know anything about it, mind you. No.. Not at all. 

Thank you for your and your spouse's service. I meant absolutely no offense. I admire and am grateful to you guys. I just get cranky when some commercials hit me the wrong way.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, SoSueMe said:

Thank you for your and your spouse's service. I meant absolutely no offense. I admire and am grateful to you guys. I just get cranky when some commercials hit me the wrong way.

Thank you. No offense taken at all.  I hate that commercial too. I get the same way. My husband will sometimes remind me it's only a commercial when I get riled up about one. 

• Love 6
16 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

But also her husband is in the military and this is what rocked her world? He's never told her the crap he's seen?

My father was "in the service" and hardly said anything more than that. I expect a lot of veterans would prefer to put the crap they've seen behind them, or at least not view it as stories to be telling.

• Love 16
8 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

My father was "in the service" and hardly said anything more than that. I expect a lot of veterans would prefer to put the crap they've seen behind them, or at least not view it as stories to be telling.

This is true for me, as well.  Most of the men in my family were/are Military, and some went through well-known and publicized hell.  I wouldn't dream of questioning some of them, curious as I might be.

• Love 7

The Ozempic ad, or however you spell it, makes me extremely stabby.  Every time I hear it, I will always yell out, "I HATE THAT FLIPPIN' COMMERCIAL!!!"  Seriously, I wish I could force all the people who were involved with bringing that monstrosity to life to be locked in a room for twelve hours with that ad played on repeat.

• Love 10
12 hours ago, Moose135 said:

It's not important to me, but I think it's a nice little touch, a bit of respect for my service, even though I've been out of the Air Force for 30 years.  Damn, has it been that long? Now I feel old!

Tell me about it.  :(

• Love 4

Don't forget the one with David Groh ("Rhoda"'s husband), who was getting milked like a cow, but it turns out his milk is sour because he was eating sour Skittles.

Oh dear God in Heaven . . . why???????????? (And yes, I'm old enough to remember Joe, Rhoda's husband. Had no idea that was David Groh.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

I've heard similar things, yeah. I wouldn't blame them for being reticent to share.

(That's why I tend to be kinda wary of the people who do go around bragging and trying to make themselves out to be big badass action heroes and whatnot when telling their military stories. Those guys seem to be more interested in the glory and attention than the service and honor. Either that, or those are the people who you later find out are lying about having been in the military at all.) 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Oh dear God in Heaven . . . why???????????? (And yes, I'm old enough to remember Joe, Rhoda's husband. Had no idea that was David Groh.

We got our first portable television because my mom and I wanted to watch Rhoda's wedding. We weren't going to get to because of Monday Night Football, which was sacred to my dad at the time. She went out and bought it and we put it in the kitchen. I remember being amazed that my mom could just go out and buy a tv without even talking to my dad about it. Of course she owned her own business and could do what she wanted.

• Love 18
6 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Oh, yes very common. My father was in the Army and went to Vietnam its taken a long time for him to open up about his time there he finally did which has helped with his PTSD. But before that he did talk about the typhoon season and then after Vietnam did search and research which made me think her husband might talk about the weather and other things where ever he's stationed or deployed. She'd still know things and hear things from other servicemen and women. Military spouses are so strong and tough dealing with constant deployments and worrying about their spouses, hearing things from other servicemen and women, from other military spouses, seeing the injured returning, PTSD, moving a lot, being the sole parent, and so much more. They go through a lot. Its surprising to hear from one in a commercial so shocked and rocked by a water leak. 

• Love 7