Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Suzn said:

I'm sorry to ruin childhoods, but on the farm, animals going to market were going to be food.  No exception.  That's the terminology.  Trying to pretty up reality doesn't change it. That is why I'm vegetarian.

That is reality. Nursery rhymes are not reality. Therefore the piggy went shopping, with his hat and jacket on and a basket on his arm.

2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oh sure a lot of things are obvious in hindsight. I was just addressing how I was perceiving things at the time. 

Except like I said, nursery rhymes weren't about reality.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Wait, what?  You mean a cow didn't jump over the moon?

Have you ever read the Hobbit? There is a long poem in there about all the characters from the song, and what happened that crazy night! It's great.

• Love 3

Saw a Hanes men's underwear commercial this morning that is absolutely vile. Chatter about keeping things "separated" then the guy is on a bull, holding on to what I suppose is supposed to be the saddle horn.

Only it's not the saddle horn, it's his own "horn."

Just so crude I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Deskisamess said:

Saw a Hanes men's underwear commercial this morning that is absolutely vile. Chatter about keeping things "separated" then the guy is on a bull, holding on to what I suppose is supposed to be the saddle horn.

I saw it too and it's gross.  

• Love 5

That whistling "music" in the Dupixent ads annoys the crap out of me, but I do like the new series with people dressed like the background to hide their eczema and then taking off their wraps to display clear skin.  I don't care about the message, but I think the background-matching is clever.

• Love 5
On 6/12/2021 at 9:54 AM, Deskisamess said:

Never saw this commercial but last night during the Westminster Dog Show on Fox it was on many times. Gross!

• Love 4

"Stay home. Two words everyone is saying these days.".  Um, it might be time to update your commercial. 

"I'm Erin." "And I'm Margo."  And I'm Fucking Sick of You Both of You.   Please get off my damn TV screen.  

• LOL 10
  • Love 3

The Paragard IUD commercial annoys me to no end.  Who sings and dances because they got an IUD?  The "star" of that commercial is a young woman weighing about 18 pounds prancing around in a yellow dress that has to be a size 0.  

• Love 14
26 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:
26 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I think this is the one you are taking about.

It isn't just the dancing, it is where they are dancing,   In the produce section of a store, then it spills out into an open area outside of the store.  And then she has that stupid smile on her face that just doesn't go away.  

Yes!  That's the one!

It's monumentally stupid and her stupid smile makes it worse.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, AnnA said:

The Paragard IUD commercial annoys me to no end.  Who sings and dances because they got an IUD?  The "star" of that commercial is a young woman weighing about 18 pounds prancing around in a yellow dress that has to be a size 0.  

Probably the same people who dance around with their Swiffers and showerhead speakers.

Also, I don't know what difference her size makes. Would the dancing be less annoying if she were bigger?

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Also, I don't know what difference her size makes.

Don't you know that our vaginas get bigger if we get larger? Sigh. Yes, I don't know either.

• LOL 6
21 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Probably the same people who dance around with their Swiffers and showerhead speakers.

Also, I don't know what difference her size makes. Would the dancing be less annoying if she were bigger?

It stood out because ad agencies haven't been using stick thin models for a while now.  

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, AnnA said:

It stood out because ad agencies haven't been using stick thin models for a while now.  

It's still there though. You need the large tampons? They'll show an overweight model, or a thin one with a smirk.

• Love 1

I absolutely despise the Petco commercial where a man announces that it is now a health and wellness company, all said in a haughty, arrogant, snobby tone of voice.

First of all saying you are an H & W company doesn’t make you one, and I’ve seen no evidence that you are one. Secondly doing it in a know-it-all voice doesn’t endear you to me.  Contrast this with the PetSmart commercial where they sing a happy upbeat song about I’d do anything for you.

given a choice I’d choose PetSmart in a heartbeat, but Petco is 10 minutes away and PetSmart is a hour and a half.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Woopwoopkitty said:

I absolutely despise the Petco commercial where a man announces that it is now a health and wellness company, all said in a haughty, arrogant, snobby tone of voice.

First of all saying you are an H & W company doesn’t make you one, and I’ve seen no evidence that you are one. Secondly doing it in a know-it-all voice doesn’t endear you to me.  Contrast this with the PetSmart commercial where they sing a happy upbeat song about I’d do anything for you.

given a choice I’d choose PetSmart in a heartbeat, but Petco is 10 minutes away and PetSmart is a hour and a half.

Oh, I detest that one!  It sounds pretentious, plus it gives zero specifics.  Petco is desperately trying to get aboard the "health and wellness" train in order to stay relevant but the commercial doesn't make it clear that it's going to focus on pet health and wellness in particular, not human.  Any justification the company has provided so far for its new branding is pretty weak, IMO.  Supposedly they're going to offer in-store veterinary services and have discontinued selling certain products it feels are unhealthy, plus offer some sort of pet insurance option, but other than that it's pretty weak.  I found the comments from big retail execs under this article in Retail Wire laughable.  It's obvious that most of them never shop in a store.  The last comment is from someone who actually has a clue.  It's no wonder retail is circling the drain.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, nokat said:

Don't you know that our vaginas get bigger if we get larger? Sigh. Yes, I don't know either.

And did you also know that our vaginas get bigger if we have sex with multiple partners but magically stay the same if we have sex umpteen times with the same guy?

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Woopwoopkitty said:

I know that feeling. One is closer than the other.

3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

And did you also know that our vaginas get bigger if we have sex with multiple partners but magically stay the same if we have sex umpteen times with the same guy?

Yes because then we become whores. /s They can also push out a ten pound baby. They are very flexible.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Woopwoopkitty said:

Petco in my opinion is pricier than Petco

4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Oh, I detest that one!  It sounds pretentious, plus it gives zero specifics.  Petco is desperately trying to get aboard the "health and wellness" train in order to stay relevant but the commercial doesn't make it clear that it's going to focus on pet health and wellness in particular, not human.  Any justification the company has provided so far for its new branding is pretty weak, IMO.  Supposedly they're going to offer in-store veterinary services and have discontinued selling certain products it feels are unhealthy, plus offer some sort of pet insurance option, but other than that it's pretty weak.  I found the comments from big retail execs under this article in Retail Wire laughable.  It's obvious that most of them never shop in a store.  The last comment is from someone who actually has a clue.  It's no wonder retail is circling the drain.

I like it because Matthew Gray Gubler is the shit.

• Love 7

"I'm Erin." "And I'm Margo."  And I'm Fucking Sick of You Both of You.   Please get off my damn TV screen.  

I saw this commercial and laughed, thinking about this comment. :D

• LOL 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I have no personal experience, but I have seen how big newborn babies are, and straight men need a reality check if they think they're going to be causing any significant changes to women's anatomy without a 9-month delay being involved.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10

There is a new commercial for that migraine prescription starring...again, Khloe Kardashian.  In this one, her lips are so big that it looks like a flying saucer has landed on her face.  I still cannot believe that a company trying to hawk what I would think would be a much needed and desired medication would think any of the Kardashians, especially this one, would be a good spokesperson/alien for this type of product.  

• LOL 5
  • Love 8

I didn't think Petco was trying to steer into a new direction. I thought they'd been bought out by a parent company named "Health & Wellness." Turns out, that's not the case, but I just don't care enough.

I never like Jimmie Walker but it's still distressing to see that ad. "They put $100 back into MY account." The way he keeps stressing "MY" it makes me wonder if I sign up, will that extra $100 go to Walker, as well?

• LOL 5
(edited)
34 minutes ago, susannah said:

What dis? MGG is a spokesperson for Petco? I love his character on Criminal Minds.

I picked him out in the commercial a while back, not sure which thread I posted to. I don't think he is a "spokesperson" per se., think he is doing it more as a goof. But I'll take any MGG I can get!! 😘

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I picked him out in the commercial a while back, not sure which thread I posted to. I don't think he is a "spokesperson" per se., think he is doing it more as a goof. But I'll take any MGG I can get!! 😘

I have seen that ad in passing, and thought that that guy looked alot like MGG, but I don't believe it is him. MGG doesn't have a pointed chin and his voice is different.  Are those people supposed to be animals?

No, the people at the end are really animals, running around the room, and all because Petco is now focusing on their Health & Wellness. 

I've looked, and a lot of people think it's MGG, but it isn't according to what I could find.   He certainly fooled me the first time or two I saw the ad too. 

• Love 1

Those creepy fucking Hormel chili add are back.  I swear they're harder to get rid of than a fungal infection.  What do we have to do to make these things go away?   Hire an exorcist?

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Maverick said:

Those creepy fucking Hormel chili add are back.  I swear they're harder to get rid of than a fungal infection.  What do we have to do to make these things go away?   Hire an exorcist?

Chili instead of pea soup?

• LOL 1
(edited)
On 6/14/2021 at 4:33 PM, AnnA said:

Ugh, that song is stupid and the product name sounds like bug spray. But the lady singing the stupid song looks completely "normal"-sized to me (and I think today's size 0 is commensurate with a 1970s 6 or 8--which, yes, I realize does not at all negate the ridiculousness of a size called "0"! There also is [was?] a "00," which, oddly enough, was smaller, not larger, than regular 0).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

Just saw another creepy ad from Liberty. Seriously, whoever is writing these ads, with the wet teddy bears, and the idiot who can't pronounce his lines, etc needs a different job. This one has some kind of gnome looking creatures trying to jump rope, which turn out to be very small  very old people with masses of gray hair. WTH?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, susannah said:

This one has some kind of gnome looking creatures trying to jump rope, which turn out to be very small  very old people with masses of gray hair. WTH?

Yeah, those are children. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing you've only seen the shortened version of it. Don't ask me why they aren't taller (and that their clothes still fit) by the end of it!

Edited by Kawaiiko
  • Love 3

I despise virtually every Discovery+ ad thanks to the constant exposure to them. I watch TV from 8-10 several nights a week.  I catch up on DVR’d shows when I can’t sleep.  The number of times in a 1 hour episode that I have to see all the Magnolia/Discovery/HGTV/Food Network “personalities” is ridiculous.  So many repetitions of the same crap…Oprah’s interview show , Joanna Gaines’ cooking show, some “special” about Tom Arnold’s meth-head sister ( BTW, I can barely understand what either one of them is saying.  They both sound like they had strokes…maybe they indulged too much back in the day).

But the latest Discovery+/Food Network ad in rotation is my newest peeve.  It’s some BBQ showdown with Bobby Smug-face Flay, and Michael Simon.  Then another guy walks in, and Flay and Simon say “Eddie Jackson?!?” ( umm, who?). And Eddie says, “You’re darn tootin’ right!”  Isn’t “you’re darn tootin’” the phrase?  Irks me to no end every 10 minutes it’s on.

• Love 13
7 hours ago, Kawaiiko said:

Yeah, those are children. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing you've only seen the shortened version of it. Don't ask me why they aren't taller (and that their clothes still fit) by the end of it!

I've only seen the one with the kids jump roping and then stop when they can't rhyme anything with Liberty Mutual. Haven't seen the one with the old folks...thank goodness...

• Love 2

Eddie Jackson won Food Network Star, and is supposed to be a BBQ person.      He's also hosted some of their competition shows on Food Network.    

I guess I just saw the shortened LiMu commercial with the jump rope.    Very odd. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BusyOctober said:

I despise virtually every Discovery+ ad thanks to the constant exposure to them. I watch TV from 8-10 several nights a week.  I catch up on DVR’d shows when I can’t sleep.  The number of times in a 1 hour episode that I have to see all the Magnolia/Discovery/HGTV/Food Network “personalities” is ridiculous.  So many repetitions of the same crap…Oprah’s interview show , Joanna Gaines’ cooking show, some “special” about Tom Arnold’s meth-head sister ( BTW, I can barely understand what either one of them is saying.  They both sound like they had strokes…maybe they indulged too much back in the day).

But the latest Discovery+/Food Network ad in rotation is my newest peeve.  It’s some BBQ showdown with Bobby Smug-face Flay, and Michael Simon.  Then another guy walks in, and Flay and Simon say “Eddie Jackson?!?” ( umm, who?). And Eddie says, “You’re darn tootin’ right!”  Isn’t “you’re darn tootin’” the phrase?  Irks me to no end every 10 minutes it’s on.

I ODed on the Bobby "I'm so excited" Flay and Giada in Italy ads.  Too bad they came back to produce more commercials.  Yes, it's either You're darn tootin' OR You're darn right.

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I keep seeing the Halo Top Fruit Pops commercials.   I can't explain it, but I think the commercial is weird.  Where it is filmed and the way it is filmed just comes off as truly odd. 

If it were filmed in a more public environment, like at the beach, it would make more sense, but it looks like it was filmed in some secluded spot.

No food or drinks in the swimming pool!  Also, I'm sick of chicks dancing with their arms up showing their armpits.  Don't they have other moves?

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Thank you! It IS "You're darn tootin'." Haven't their scriptwriters ever seen a '40s Western?

Or they could have gone with "You're darn right." Either would work.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 3

I cannot stand the commercial for the prescription drug used to treat Thyroid Eye Disease with the woman with the dozens of sunglasses just because she reminds me so much of Laura from "90-Day Fiance" and I'm so afraid she's going to start talking about Al-uh-den.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5