Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

My mom thinks it's weird that they use the "Candyman" song in that ad. I don't really get the connection, either, other than I guess the phone's color makes it look like candy, or something? 

I have still not seen this thing so yay me!

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

My mom thinks it's weird that they use the "Candyman" song in that ad. I don't really get the connection, either, other than I guess the phone's color makes it look like candy, or something? 

If anything, "Purple Rain" would have made more sense since the only phone color they show is purple and is covered in water, for... reasons?

• Love 6

Purple is one of my most favorite colors. Were it not for this annoying commercial, I may have turned in my rose gold iPhone7 for a purple one... As long as the 7 is working fine I am not upgrading....

• Love 2
8 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

The commercial I saw was about helping people get vaccinated by having Uber (I think) give them rides to vaccination centers.  Seems like a great idea to me because because there are a lot of people who don't live near a hospital or pharmacy or other vaccination site.

I very much like getting people to vaccination sites. There are also mobile vaccination buses here that take the vaccinations to underrepresented people.

I always like to see ads that give information and not misinformation about vaccination.

• Love 9

Since the Spike Lee ad has been around a few weeks now maybe it's time to do similar ads with other celebrities to encourage ways to get hold outs to get their vax.  Here in IN there's an upbeat ad featuring locally known sports celebs and other public figures saying "I got mine!" but I don't think a montage like that will change anyone's mind.  The good thing about the Lee ad is that he is offering a specific suggestion of what you can do to help.  I think we can use more of that.

• Love 10
14 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Purple is one of my most favorite colors. Were it not for this annoying commercial, I may have turned in my rose gold iPhone7 for a purple one... As long as the 7 is working fine I am not upgrading....

I have rose gold for mine too! I don't see any reason to change it any time soon.

• Love 3

"How's the menopause going?"

What's "the menopause"? 

Is the ad supposed to be funny?  Sorry, I can't even imagine a situation where one woman would begin a conversation by asking a question about menopause.

Another ad aimed at women, written by men.

(This is what happens when I forget to mute the commercials.)

• Love 10
15 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Sorry, I can't even imagine a situation where one woman would begin a conversation by asking a question about menopause.

Maybe if you see me sitting outside or in a cool room, seemingly minding my own business, but my glasses are fogged up and sweat is pouring off my face.  I don't think it's just me, but as I and my friends have entered menopause, it has become a topic of conversation.  Sorry to say.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, bankerchick said:

Maybe if you see me sitting outside or in a cool room, seemingly minding my own business, but my glasses are fogged up and sweat is pouring off my face.  I don't think it's just me, but as I and my friends have entered menopause, it has become a topic of conversation.  Sorry to say.

I've lamented with women in the same stage of life. I don't begin a conversation that way, but when you're waving a fan at yourself and breaking out in a sweat, the topic may come up.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

The shows I watch apparently gives my age away. Way too many ads for reverse mortgages, adult diapers, and medications. I don't need any of those (yet). I may do an "oof" when I stand up and joints may pop and crack but I'm not yet your target audience.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
On 5/14/2021 at 4:27 PM, susannah said:

Except as I said, those aren't the only places that offer vaccinations. Grocery stores offer them, there have been vaccination centers in parking lots, drive by vaccinations, large venues like convention centers, etc. They have bent over backwards to make them as accessible as they possibly could.

And as we've said, there are people who cannot access even those places WITHOUT transportation.  The commercial is highlighting a way to make vaccinations accessible to those who do not drive or can't get to vaccination locations without assistance, which is a good thing.

23 hours ago, Kawaiiko said:

On today's episode of "Things that Piss Me OFF"...

I would appreciate if I never saw the purple iPhone ad that plays over and over literally everyday. I will always mute YouTube whenever I see it. It's just that annoying. Please stop getting in my face, Apple. 

Yeah, it's driving me crazy too.  I guess they used The Candyman because it looks like the phone is being coated in purple candy?

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Leeds said:

"How's the menopause going?"

What's "the menopause"? 

Is the ad supposed to be funny?  Sorry, I can't even imagine a situation where one woman would begin a conversation by asking a question about menopause.

Another ad aimed at women, written by men.

(This is what happens when I forget to mute the commercials.)

Yes, it is supposed to be funny.  Starting a convo about menopause symptoms sounds perfectly normal to me.  

• Love 6
16 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

And as we've said, there are people who cannot access even those places WITHOUT transportation.  The commercial is highlighting a way to make vaccinations accessible to those who do not drive or can't get to vaccination locations without assistance, which is a good thing.

There is a free trolley here that will get people to vaccination locations and it was used way before the pandemic.  There are people in wheelchairs or using mobility devices who may have difficulty getting to a vaccination site. 

I definitely do not get annoyed or irritated by these ads.

• Love 9
On 5/14/2021 at 10:07 AM, GussieK said:

I am a probate lawyer!  I have never heard a real person use this phrase, at least in my area (NYC).   If there is no surviving spouse, and no assets, those other debts do not usually have to be paid by other family members.  They are usually extinguished.  I suppose a collection lawyer might use the phrase, as in this example, but they are also demons. 

Thanks, I meant a collection lawyer - I was thinking of that law firm that wrote to me, so yeah.  My good friend who is a lawyer told me that those law firms are really just offshoots of the collection agencies that they work for and therefore no better.  I have already been able to avoid paying the balance on my father's car loan after they auctioned the car so I'm pretty confident that I can avoid whatever this bunch is trying to get out of me.  I owned the apartment my father lived in, but I owned it for over 20 years and I even had a joint bank account with him for at least as long as that with a relatively small balance out of which I paid his bills for the last several years of his life, so hopefully they will scram.  My lawyer friend did say that the most evil of them might try to file probate on him themselves, but I can't imagine how they would ever succeed.  Besides I figure the amount they're after has to be too small to warrant going to that extreme anyway.  

• Love 4
On 5/14/2021 at 3:08 PM, proserpina65 said:
On 4/30/2021 at 9:09 AM, susannah said:

People's opinions are different, I know. Yet the CDC and other national health organizations have been encouraging everyone to get vaccinated as soon as they can, for months. But because Spike Lee, I guess also a health expert, "encourages" it, suddenly it's okay, and implies that it is everyone else's fault that they haven't gotten vaccinated already? I don't see what is great about this ad, I think it is hypocritical and biased.

The commercial I saw was about helping people get vaccinated by having Uber (I think) give them rides to vaccination centers.  Seems like a great idea to me because because there are a lot of people who don't live near a hospital or pharmacy or other vaccination site.

I am thoroughly confused by this Spike Lee commercial and I am convinced now that there is more than one version of it - One that is "softball" and the other more of a "hardball".  The softball version doesn't insinuate that it's anyone's fault that certain populations are not getting vaccinated and just encourages everyone to stop being hesitant and go get one - oh and if you need a lift we will help you get there.  The other one does seem more accusatory as if Spike is blaming everyone else for the fact that certain populations are not getting vaccinated and he insinuates that it's because of that that he is supporting this effort to get them free rides. 

I originally saw the "softball" version and posted upthread that I saw nothing offensive about it.  But the other day I was in the middle of cooking dinner when Spike came on in a spot that seemed far more accusatory.  It even pissed me off, and I did not see that coming.  I was too busy to back it up and play it again but now I just can't shake how it made me feel.  It looked just like the first spot I saw so it was easy to confuse them.  So I think that may be the problem here in this thread - that some of us did not see the more accusatory version of this ad and some did.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
On 5/14/2021 at 10:35 AM, mmecorday said:

The Colonial Penn ad bugs because the kitchen is full of delicious cookies and the guy never even gets to eat one! Not even a bite!

Also, if the actors in this ad were any more wooden, they'd need yearly termite inspections.

Speaking of termite inspections, I've been seeing a new Jake from State Farm ad where our intrepid agent is camping out with some guy named Russell who wood carved Jake's head into a knob of wood, snaps it off and gives it to him.

• LOL 4
16 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Speaking of termite inspections, I've been seeing a new Jake from State Farm ad where our intrepid agent is camping out with some guy named Russell who wood carved Jake's head into a knob of wood, snaps it off and gives it to him.

I think new Jake is a cutie.

• Love 5

There’s one commercial for some kind of panty liner where a woman flops on a bed, kicks both legs in the air and spreads them so we see her white pantied crotch.  I don’t need to see crotch to know what a panty liner does.

But now the worst commercial ever.  It’s Kim Kartrashian lying prone on her side wearing skin tone panties, which I assume are thongs because of how high cut they are, and a matching bra.  All you really see are her huge lips and hips, but the gross part is she starts pulling on the panties to show how stretchy the fabric is, that I expected to see a full view of her pubes.  You can bet your behind I’ll never put one dime in that woman’s wallet. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I am thoroughly confused by this Spike Lee commercial and I am convinced now that there is more than one version of it - One that is "softball" and the other more of a "hardball".  The softball version doesn't insinuate that it's anyone's fault that certain populations are not getting vaccinated and just encourages everyone to stop being hesitant and go get one - oh and if you need a lift we will help you get there.  The other one does seem more accusatory as if Spike is blaming everyone else for the fact that certain populations are not getting vaccinated and he insinuates that it's because of that that he is supporting this effort to get them free rides. 

I originally saw the "softball" version and posted upthread that I saw nothing offensive about it.  But the other day I was in the middle of cooking dinner when Spike came on in a spot that seemed far more accusatory.  It even pissed me off, and I did not see that coming.  I was too busy to back it up and play it again but now I just can't shake how it made me feel.  It looked just like the first spot I saw so it was easy to confuse them.  So I think that may be the problem here in this thread - that some of us did not see the more accusatory version of this ad and some did.

Thank you!

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I've only seen the softball version, then.  I was prepared to hate the commercial because 1) I can't stand Spike Lee and 2) fearing an accusatory thing.  But the softball one is very nice.

I'm not going to try and find the hardball one.

• Love 3
(edited)

I am so confused as to what are the actual issues with the "hardball" Spike Lee commercial? I am rereading the posts and just don't know why a commercial highlighting some very real issues that many of us are lucky enough to not have to think about in our own lives would be upsetting in any way other than feeling bad for those who do have to think about them. 

I hate all Colonial Penn commercials because they talk about meeting their “final expenses.”  Why did they think they needed to make up this euphemism?  

But is it even a deliberate euphemism? Seems just like an ordinary combination of words to me...like how some people say "pop" or "lanai" or "trash" while others say "soda" and "patio" and "garbage" -- not because one is more tactful than another, but because we have more than one word to express a certain thing.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 9
26 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I am so confused as to what are the actual issues with the "hardball" Spike Lee commercial? I am rereading the posts and just don't know why a commercial highlighting some very real issues that many of us are lucky enough to not have to think about in our own lives would be upsetting in any way other than feeling bad for those who do have to think about them. 

But is it even a deliberate euphemism? Seems just like an ordinary combination of words to me...like how some people say "pop" or "lanai" or "trash" while others say "soda" and "patio" and "garbage" -- not because one is more tactful than another, but because we have more than one word to express a certain thing.

In regard to the Spike Lee ad, I don't know why black communities are harder hit with coronavirus than others, but it is no one else's fault that they are. No one is going around purposely spreading it. Vaccination was also a lengthy process for everyone, including those with health issues, having to wait months... No one was deliberately withholding vaccine from black communities.

I don't think final expenses is a euphemism. An example of that is to say "passed away," instead of "died." To say final expenses is saying flat out what they are, since it refers to all costs related to the end of life.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, susannah said:

In regard to the Spike Lee ad, I don't know why black communities are harder hit with coronavirus than others, but it is no one else's fault that they are. ...

I'll just say, there are definitely reasons why, and these things don't happen randomly/by chance.

• Love 20
(edited)
1 hour ago, susannah said:

In regard to the Spike Lee ad, I don't know why black communities are harder hit with coronavirus than others, but it is no one else's fault that they are. No one is going around purposely spreading it. Vaccination was also a lengthy process for everyone, including those with health issues, having to wait months... No one was deliberately withholding vaccine from black communities.

I don't think final expenses is a euphemism. An example of that is to say "passed away," instead of "died." To say final expenses is saying flat out what they are, since it refers to all costs related to the end of life.

"Euphemism" came from someone else's post, not yours. Sorry if that was unclear.

As for the vaccination process, yes, it was tricky and tedious across the board -- it was maddening at times! But that doesn't mean that it was not even trickier for communities that may differ from one's own in various ways that some of us have not experienced and may not even think about -- ie, even though I am not necessarily affluent or powerful or exceptional in any way, I have a laptop, (overpriced) internet, 2 phones (3 if you count my work cell; 4 even, if you count my BF's cell); a car (and if it is, for some reason, inoperable, I have the means to repair it and/or pay for a cab/Uber/Lyft, plus friends who have cars); and a job that allowed me to book a vaccine appointment at any day and time I wanted, plus the freedom to take a day off in the event of side effects. I have no kids, but if I did, I would very easily be able to line up childcare for them while I was out getting my shots. Oh, and I have a home that I have no real fear of losing even if I miss a paycheck or 2 (which I wouldn't, as I have the kind of insurance that many people take for granted).

Because I have all of this and more, my only real obstacle to the vaccine was the previously mentioned tedium of trying to make an appointment (which, I should add, would at this point be made for me by my primary care provider in-office, a luxury that some people in other communities do not necessarily have). To decide that everyone's barriers must be the same as our own is in itself a luxury. There are terms for this kind of thinking, one being "anecdotal evidence"; the other I won't use here (but we all know what it is).

Anyway, that went on longer than I intended. the TL/DR point is that there is proof that certain communities are lacking in amenities that would make life in COVID times less dire. To point this out isn't blaming or accusing anyone specifically at this time. COVID didn't create these systemic disparities, it only highlighted them -- and Spike Lee's commercials are highlighting that.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 15

But now the worst commercial ever.  It’s Kim Kartrashian lying prone on her side wearing skin tone panties, which I assume are thongs because of how high cut they are, and a matching bra.  All you really see are her huge lips and hips, but the gross part is she starts pulling on the panties to show how stretchy the fabric is, that I expected to see a full view of her pubes.  You can bet your behind I’ll never put one dime in that woman’s wallet. 

I've only seen this commercial once and that was enough.

• Love 6
On 5/14/2021 at 1:05 PM, peacheslatour said:

Exactly. Any debts, funeral costs and maybe the dear departed had a *shudder* reverse mortgage.

I'm OK with a reverse mortgage. My nephew doesn't wanna get stuck with my condo, so let the mortgage lender take it.

On 5/14/2021 at 1:35 PM, mmecorday said:

The Colonial Penn ad bugs because the kitchen is full of delicious cookies and the guy never even gets to eat one! Not even a bite!

Also, if the actors in this ad were any more wooden, they'd need yearly termite inspections.

I yell at the TV continually through that ad: "Eat the damn cooky already."

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

WHY when ads are referring to sanitary pads, we now have to be treated to closeups of where said pad might have migrated to on a person? What is wrong with ad writers? Women know all about such things. All ads have to do is say that their pads will be secure. We don't need a closeup of a woman's rear and mentions of "wedgie picking," etc, for God's sake. All these ads for bladder control and period protection have just gotten gross.

• Love 15
23 hours ago, susannah said:

In fact, in NY and CT the vaccine was prioritized for minority communities and great lengths were taken to get it to them.  My late father's caregiver, who is AA and lives in the South Bronx had her vaccine before anyone I know, way back in like the first week they were available (I believe she is 75).  I just can't get over that.  Meanwhile all my friends down in NY were going nuts trying to get vaccine appointments when their age groups opened up and some had to wait weeks and months before they could get one despite constant trying on hotlines and online.   So I kind of don't buy the insinuation of blame in Spike's commercial based on personal experience.

23 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

My father, a 92 year old white man lived in the Bronx and likely because of that died last April of Covid.  So I take umbrage at anything making even a subtle accusation that there is any kind of blame to be directed at anyone based on race for this situation or the vaccine distribution situation.  I for one was shocked at how Spike's commercial came off, at least the second one I saw.  I was not expecting that nor wanting to see that insinuation, but I can't deny how it made me feel.

• Love 6

These are further examples of "anecdotal evidence," unfortunately. That said, I'm very sorry to hear about your dad; I can't imagine how you must feel and I am sorry that this whole shit-show went down in a way that it did not need to.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

These are further examples of "anecdotal evidence," unfortunately. That said, I'm very sorry to hear about your dad; I can't imagine how you must feel and I am sorry that this whole shit-show went down in a way that it did not need to.

Anecdote is not data.

• Love 5
(edited)
15 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Anecdote is not data.

When the vaccine is prioritized for a community and great lengths are taken to assure their speedy and hassle free access to it, including walk in clinics with no appointment necessary, TV ads and vaccine trucks being sent into those communities here in CT in an effort to get it to anyone that might not be able to get out that easily themselves or know how to handle it, the actual "data" show vaccination rates among minorities too low to be attributed to anything else but vaccine hesitancy.  I wonder if Spike did that second "softball" ad targeting that hesitancy because he knows that at least in some areas it is the biggest obstacle in getting minority communities vaccinated.

Now I don't know what the situation is in other parts of the country, just here in the Northeast.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 6
On 5/16/2021 at 10:33 PM, Stacey1014 said:

No matter how many times I see it, I will never understand that Oscar Mayer “Yum” commercial with the choir. 

Bring back “I Wish I Were An Oscar Mayer Wiener” and “My Bologna Has A First Name.”

• Love 23
On 5/16/2021 at 11:18 PM, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

𝅘𝅥𝅮𝅘𝅥𝅮 "If there's pain when you try to poo-- " Click. 

Holey moley, I just saw that Colace ad for the first time. The comparisons-'passing a pineapple', etc. !

Luckily I have no need for this product, but if I did, I would pick any other brand (assuming they don't all jump on the 'gross ads' bandwagon).

• Love 8

That Medicare commercial with "Andromada" talking about the advantages (You may get $148 added back to your social security check!)

1. I'm annoyed that her parents didn't know how to spell Andromeda. (Unless it's a portmanteau of grandparents' names Andrew & Madalyn (also misspelled))  I used to think Cybill Shepherd's name was spelled stupidly until I read it's a combo of her granddads Cy and Bill. That's a nice salute, but you risk being thought an idiot by people who don't know the story. But do you care who thinks you're an idiot?  Nevertheless, I'm annoyed at "Andromada."

2. Her neck looks like the Michelin Man.  Once I noticed that, I can't see anything else. Wear a scarf, lady.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Holey moley, I just saw that Colace ad for the first time. The comparisons-'passing a pineapple', etc. !

Luckily I have no need for this product, but if I did, I would pick any other brand (assuming they don't all jump on the 'gross ads' bandwagon).

I have been lucky enough not to see that particular one so far but that is beyond disgusting! So gross, and the red bears make me sick. Definitely not wanting to rush out and buy the products, EVER.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Yeah No said:

In fact, in NY and CT the vaccine was prioritized for minority communities and great lengths were taken to get it to them.  My late father's caregiver, who is AA and lives in the South Bronx had her vaccine before anyone I know, way back in like the first week they were available (I believe she is 75).  I just can't get over that.  Meanwhile all my friends down in NY were going nuts trying to get vaccine appointments when their age groups opened up and some had to wait weeks and months before they could get one despite constant trying on hotlines and online.   So I kind of don't buy the insinuation of blame in Spike's commercial based on personal experience.

My father, a 92 year old white man lived in the Bronx and likely because of that died last April of Covid.  So I take umbrage at anything making even a subtle accusation that there is any kind of blame to be directed at anyone based on race for this situation or the vaccine distribution situation.  I for one was shocked at how Spike's commercial came off, at least the second one I saw.  I was not expecting that nor wanting to see that insinuation, but I can't deny how it made me feel.

I agree, and I am so sorry about your father.

• Love 4