Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

19 minutes ago, susannah said:

There are devices for that so that you don't need to be holding or looking at your phone while you are driving. There is nothing a phone can do that is worth risking people's lives, no matter how "convenient" they are.

To be fair, the last few posts were responding to this proposal:

4 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Can't they just make cars that disable all smartphone functions inside their frame while they're running? Or override whatever's on the screen with a "PAY ATTENTION TO THE ROAD, STUPID!" message?

Hands free capabilities for vital functions, and allowing passengers use their devices, all for that.  Cars that disable all smartphone functions, wouldn't work for me.

• Love 8
22 minutes ago, susannah said:

There are devices for that so that you don't need to be holding or looking at your phone while you are driving. There is nothing a phone can do that is worth risking people's lives, no matter how "convenient" they are.

I agree, but I was talking about passengers using their cell phones to videotape.  Or the driver can pull over to the side of a street or highway in case of emergency.  In California it's hands free only, you should have your cell phone attached to a holder or placed in a holder.  Navigation is crucial for Lyft and Uber drivers (taxis too I suppose).

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:
13 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

What a time to be alive.

Isn't that a line from a commercial?

Autotrader Vikings Version

My first thought was Hamilton, but that works too.

But to be fair, I think anyone at any point in history could have a reason to say that (sarcastically or otherwise).

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

But to be fair, I think anyone at any point in history could have a reason to say that (sarcastically or otherwise).

It's like the old Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times."

• Love 10
1 hour ago, susannah said:

I don't have to hold or look at my phone to use its navigation features, but the phone does have to function inside the car.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Can't they just make cars that disable all smartphone functions inside their frame while they're running? Or override whatever's on the screen with a "PAY ATTENTION TO THE ROAD, STUPID!" message?

If they have the technology to have your car call 911 when your airbags deploy they should have technology that senses when your eyes aren't focused on the road. 

When I have my bluetooth connected it automatically won't show me text messages on screen if the car is in motion and reads them to me instead.  Even if someone's driving a car without bluetooth cell phones should be able to go into driving mode and refuse to show text messages while the car is in motion.  They have GPS so they know when you're driving.

Personally I think that icell phones should disable themselves from anything but calling and navigation while a car is in motion unless they are connected via bluetooth.  I have been using a bluetooth for well over a decade now and just can't understand why anyone still needs to hold a cell phone.  Young people are supposed to be so tech savvy but can't seem to get with that program after all those years, meanwhile this 62 year old had that all figured out over 15 years ago. 

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Personally I think that icell phones should disable themselves from anything but calling and navigation while a car is in motion unless they are connected via bluetooth.  I have been using a bluetooth for well over a decade now and just can't understand why anyone still needs to hold a cell phone. 

That technology would be able to differentiate between drivers and passengers, though, right?  Because I would not want to be the driver for a minivan full of passengers with no cell service. License plate game, anyone? No thanks, lived through that!

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Since we're here talking about commercials, I posted the commercial, lest we get too far off topic again with random comments.  I'm well aware of the usage of the quotes about interesting times, even the Vikings had theirs.  I just thought it was funny.

And can someone please explain to me why those Peloton people yell “Come on Peloton”.  Why do they call the customers Peloton?  I know they can’t yell anyone’s name, but why do they yell Peloton?

Peloton means the main group of cyclists competing in a race (something I never knew until these damn commercials made me look it up, and then knowing that fact recently led me to correctly answer a Jeopardy! clue I'd have previously missed).  So that's why an instructor is addressing their client group as "Peloton" in each of these annoying commercials.  It's the same as encouraging folks, class, everyone, etc. in speaking to any exercise class (where no one has paid enough to be called out by name), just an address specific to a biking class.

The thing I find the most annoying is the instructor who is telling the peloton "they can't break you." Who? Who the fuck is trying to stop you from using your exercise bike?

Do they show them calling the people participating in the non-cycling classes "Peloton," too?

• Love 2
On 5/9/2021 at 6:12 PM, SmithW6079 said:

I don't know why it bugs me as much as it does, but the GEICO gecko claiming credit for the "15 minutes could save you 15%..." slogan does. I think he's lying and stole someone else's idea and got away with it because he's the spokeslizard. ;-)

The current commercial where the gecko is riding on a bus always makes me wonder why he paid for a whole seat. I mean, he's famous, friendly and wants to help people save money. Surely someone would return the favor by letting him chill on their armrest?

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

The current commercial where the gecko is riding on a bus always makes me wonder why he paid for a whole seat. I mean, he's famous, friendly and wants to help people save money. Surely someone would return the favor by letting him chill on their armrest?

I love this!

• Love 4
(edited)

There's one recent commercial that I've found particularly annoying and tone deaf. It features a woman practicing a speech about some vague topic, full of meaningless platitudes like "follow your dreams" and "never give up" and ends with her giving the speech to an adoring crowd. Well, one of the dumb lines she includes is basically "in these uncertain times, it's not about David vs. Goliath, but David *helping* Goliath." And what is this advertising? Lexus. That's right, a luxury car brand decided that the best way to go is to have some smug self-satisfied lady tell the viewers that in our current global situation it's time for the underdog to help out the big guys. Screw you, Lexus, and your stupid big red bows. I mean, I guess it might appeal to their target audience, but damn.

Edited by Cherpumple
  • Love 17
7 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

There's one recent commercial that I've found particularly annoying and tone deaf. It features a woman practicing a speech about some vague topic, full of meaningless platitudes like "follow your dreams" and "never give up" and ends with her giving the speech to an adoring crowd. Well, one of the dumb lines she includes is basically "in these uncertain times, it's not about David vs. Goliath, but David *helping* Goliath." And what is this advertising? Lexus. That's right, a luxury car brand decided that the best way to go is to have some smug self-satisfied lady tell the viewers that in our current global situation it's time for the underdog to help out the big guys. Screw you, Lexus, and your stupid big red bows. I mean, I guess it might appeal to their target audience, but damn.

If you look up vapid in the dictionary, you'll see her picture.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

Well, one of the dumb lines she includes is basically "in these uncertain times, it's not about David vs. Goliath, but David *helping* Goliath." And what is this advertising? Lexus. 

Did anyone at Lexus actually ever read the Bible? David fought Goliath because someone had to - the guy was bullying and threatening the Israelites. Giving each other hugs and singing loving songs around the campfire was not exactly an option.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, SnarkySheep said:

Did anyone at Lexus actually ever read the Bible? David fought Goliath because someone had to - the guy was bullying and threatening the Israelites. Giving each other hugs and singing loving songs around the campfire was not exactly an option.

I guess Lexus's point was that David was supposed to help Goliath subdue and enslave the Isrealites?  An anti-semitic commerical?  Or maybe he was supposed to help him to change and become a better person so that he didn't want to fight David?  But, this was battle by champion, so if Goliath didn't do it, someone else would have.  Yeah, it really makes no sense.  There are probably better examples they could have used of 2 people fighting (killing) who could have instead helped each other. Cain and Abel.  Scar and Mufasa.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I guess Lexus's point was that David was supposed to help Goliath subdue and enslave the Isrealites?  An anti-semitic commerical?  Or maybe he was supposed to help him to change and become a better person so that he didn't want to fight David?  But, this was battle by champion, so if Goliath didn't do it, someone else would have.  Yeah, it really makes no sense.  There are probably better examples they could have used of 2 people fighting (killing) who could have instead helped each other. Cain and Abel.  Scar and Mufasa.  

I think you're overthinking it juuuuust a tiny bit.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Katy M said:

Darth Sidious and Qui-gon

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 5/12/2021 at 1:56 AM, Cherpumple said:

I think it would have worked better if they had said Androcles and the Lion! 

• LOL 5
(edited)
On 5/13/2021 at 8:08 AM, Blergh said:

I think it would have worked better if they had said Androcles and the Lion! 

If they still want to use David, they could have  him, instead of cheating with Bathsheba and sending Uriah to his death. David and he become bros and develop a very successful frankincense exporting LLC.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • LOL 10
  • Love 1
On 5/11/2021 at 4:52 PM, peacheslatour said:

Or if you're in hot pursuit of some mugs who've just knocked over a bank and have their gats a blazin' and you're trying to call the cops.

Oh Peaches..."gats a'blazin'...thanks, I really needed that for a good laugh. 😆

• Love 3
On 5/3/2021 at 5:34 AM, dleighg said:

what town is it? I spent my formative teen years in Morris County. I worked at the Korvettes at the Willowbrook Mall, and my best friend worked at the Sears at the Rockaway Mall (which I hear is now a mass vaccination site LOL). And yeah, 150k for a condo in Morris County? That's a laugh.

Korvettes. OMG.  We used to go to the one in Douglaston Queens. 

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Korvettes. OMG.  We used to go to the one in Douglaston Queens. 

"Shop the other Korvettes, shop the other Korvettes at Korvettes!"

• LOL 4
(edited)

I hate all Colonial Penn commercials because they talk about meeting their “final expenses.”  Why did they think they needed to make up this euphemism?  I should cross post on pet peeves. 

2 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

"Shop the other Korvettes, shop the other Korvettes at Korvettes!"

Thank you!  This is even on topic!  

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, GussieK said:

I hate all Colonial Penn commercials because they talk about meeting their “final expenses.”  Why did they think they needed to make up this euphemism?  I should cross post on pet peeves. 

Thank you!  This is even on topic!  

What is wrong with it? Funeral costs, medical bills, debts, etc ARE final expenses. They may not include just funeral costs.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, susannah said:

What is wrong with it? Funeral costs, medical bills, debts, etc ARE final expenses. They may not include just funeral costs.

I still think it's a made-up euphemism.  I have never heard a real person use that phrase.

5 minutes ago, susannah said:

What is wrong with it? Funeral costs, medical bills, debts, etc ARE final expenses. They may not include just funeral costs

Exactly. As the executor of my father's estate, there's the special distress of paying for the completely futile ambulance ride to the hospital.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, GussieK said:

I still think it's a made-up euphemism.  I have never heard a real person use that phrase.

I never did either until my 92 year old father died of Covid last year.  Be glad you haven't heard it yet.  I got letters from creditors looking for money that used that expression.  They wanted to know if I was the person responsible for "paying his final expenses".  Probate lawyers will use that phrase too.

14 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Exactly. As the executor of my father's estate, there's the special distress of paying for the completely futile ambulance ride to the hospital.

I am so sorry you had to go through this - I was "fortunate" that my father left no appreciable estate so no probate was filed and when the creditors came knocking I in effect told them to go suck an egg.  I too got a bill from the ambulance company, but Medicare or TriCare (he was a veteran) should have picked up that expense, so I ignored it and fortunately never got another bill.  The distress of the circumstances of his death combined with fighting off the creditors was a special kind of hell I'm still going through.  I just got a letter last week from a law firm asking me if I'm the person responsible for my father's "final expenses".  They wouldn't even tell me why they were writing.  He didn't leave many debts so this may be some other medical bill mix up that should have been paid by insurance.

One thing I do know is that now the cost of his cremation is going to be paid for by the government through that special program for Covid victims.

• Love 7
(edited)
48 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I never did either until my 92 year old father died of Covid last year.  Be glad you haven't heard it yet.  I got letters from creditors looking for money that used that expression.  They wanted to know if I was the person responsible for "paying his final expenses".  Probate lawyers will use that phrase too.

I am so sorry you had to go through this - I was "fortunate" that my father left no appreciable estate so no probate was filed and when the creditors came knocking I in effect told them to go suck an egg.  I too got a bill from the ambulance company, but Medicare or TriCare (he was a veteran) should have picked up that expense, so I ignored it and fortunately never got another bill.  The distress of the circumstances of his death combined with fighting off the creditors was a special kind of hell I'm still going through.  I just got a letter last week from a law firm asking me if I'm the person responsible for my father's "final expenses".  They wouldn't even tell me why they were writing.  He didn't leave many debts so this may be some other medical bill mix up that should have been paid by insurance.

One thing I do know is that now the cost of his cremation is going to be paid for by the government through that special program for Covid victims.

I am a probate lawyer!  I have never heard a real person use this phrase, at least in my area (NYC).   If there is no surviving spouse, and no assets, those other debts do not usually have to be paid by other family members.  They are usually extinguished.  I suppose a collection lawyer might use the phrase, as in this example, but they are also demons. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

I never did either until my 92 year old father died of Covid last year.

I am so sorry for your loss and for what you are going through now. Fighting with bureaucracy at any level is a special hell.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, GussieK said:

A euphemism for what?

I've never had to deal with anyone's final expenses, but the phrase just seems like a catch-all for all of the costs after someone dies.

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, janie jones said:

A euphemism for what?

I've never had to deal with anyone's final expenses, but the phrase just seems like a catch-all for all of the costs after someone dies.

Exactly. Any debts, funeral costs and maybe the dear departed had a *shudder* reverse mortgage.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, janie jones said:

A euphemism for what?

Funeral expenses.  Advertising people don't like to mention certain things, like death.  I guess I'm the only one feeling it for this issue. 

• Love 4

The Colonial Penn ad bugs because the kitchen is full of delicious cookies and the guy never even gets to eat one! Not even a bite!

Also, if the actors in this ad were any more wooden, they'd need yearly termite inspections.

• LOL 17
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

The Colonial Penn ad bugs because the kitchen is full of delicious cookies and the guy never even gets to eat one! Not even a bite!

Also, if the actors in this ad were any more wooden, they'd need yearly termite inspections.

You can even see the knot holes.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
45 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Funeral expenses.  Advertising people don't like to mention certain things, like death.  I guess I'm the only one feeling it for this issue. 

But I thought it was referring to more than just the funeral expenses?

• Love 4
On 4/24/2021 at 10:18 PM, InDueTime said:

I'm not liking this recent Subway ad. It's one thing for Megan Rapinoe to suggest a sub sandwich instead of a greasy burrito, burger, etc. It's another for her to kick a damn soccer ball at your face to make her point.

I hate this one because a) I can't stand Megan Rapinoe to begin with, and b) No, if I want a burrito, a Subway sandwich won't do.  Get stuffed, Megan Rapinoe.

There's also one with some guy I don't know doing something similar to two people who suggest ordering a pizza, which is an even more horrendous substitution.  When I want pizza, I want pizza.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 4/30/2021 at 9:09 AM, susannah said:

People's opinions are different, I know. Yet the CDC and other national health organizations have been encouraging everyone to get vaccinated as soon as they can, for months. But because Spike Lee, I guess also a health expert, "encourages" it, suddenly it's okay, and implies that it is everyone else's fault that they haven't gotten vaccinated already? I don't see what is great about this ad, I think it is hypocritical and biased.

The commercial I saw was about helping people get vaccinated by having Uber (I think) give them rides to vaccination centers.  Seems like a great idea to me because because there are a lot of people who don't live near a hospital or pharmacy or other vaccination site.

• Love 4
On 5/10/2021 at 12:25 AM, CrystalBlue said:

It's only been launched in Houston.  The perfect pilot city because their slogan is ready made:  "Houston, We've Had A Problem."

Extra points for getting the quote correct. :-)

On 5/10/2021 at 3:41 PM, Yeah No said:

Of course I know that!  The issue is that they didn't exactly look like the kinky type, did they?  In fact they looked quite the opposite.  Not something anyone's grandson would ever think their staid, very traditional old grandparents would do, anyway.

I think that's part of the point and why they get away with it when their clothes aren't wrinkled.  It's only the wrinkles which give them away because otherwise no one would suspect those two of having sex in the closet.  (Man, I'm thinking about this way too much.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

The commercial I saw was about helping people get vaccinated by having Uber (I think) give them rides to vaccination centers.  Seems like a great idea to me because because there are a lot of people who don't live near a hospital or pharmacy or other vaccination site.

Except as I said, those aren't the only places that offer vaccinations. Grocery stores offer them, there have been vaccination centers in parking lots, drive by vaccinations, large venues like convention centers, etc. They have bent over backwards to make them as accessible as they possibly could.

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

16 minutes ago, susannah said:

Except as I said, those aren't the only places that offer vaccinations. Grocery stores offer them, there have been vaccination centers in parking lots, drive by vaccinations, large venues like convention centers, etc. They have bent over backwards to make them as accessible as they possibly could.

I don't know the exact numbers, but I am sure there are a lot of people who don't have a car, don't live within walking distance of any of those, or have access to public transportation, or don't have the physical ability to walk even if they're nearby...  So good for Uber and/or Lyft if they're stepping up.  I just hope it's truly paid by the company and not the "independent contractors" who do the driving.

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I don't know the exact numbers, but I am sure there are a lot of people who don't have a car, don't live within walking distance of any of those, or have access to public transportation, or don't have the physical ability to walk even if they're nearby...  So good for Uber and/or Lyft if they're stepping up.  I just hope it's truly paid by the company and not the "independent contractors" who do the driving.

I couldn't have gotten mine without my husband driving me. The Microsoft campus in Redmond is HUGE. He went out a couple days before our appointment and scouted it out.

• Love 2

On today's episode of "Things that Piss Me OFF"...

I would appreciate if I never saw the purple iPhone ad that plays over and over literally everyday. I will always mute YouTube whenever I see it. It's just that annoying. Please stop getting in my face, Apple. 

• Love 6

My mom thinks it's weird that they use the "Candyman" song in that ad. I don't really get the connection, either, other than I guess the phone's color makes it look like candy, or something? 

• Love 9