Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, ScoundrelJosie said:

Perhaps the worst to me is the one where two teenage boys are stranded in the middle of the night with a flat tire. 1) Parents never showed their teenager how to change a tire? 2) Why are you letting your kid and friends drive the car in the middle of the night anyway??

I hang my head while I say I never showed my kids how to change a tire. I don't actually think I know anyone who did, which I guess is weird?  I did, however, always have AAA covering all the drivers in our family, until the kids were settled enough to pay for it themselves.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, MaryPatShelby said:

I hang my head while I say I never showed my kids how to change a tire. I don't actually think I know anyone who did, which I guess is weird?  I did, however, always have AAA covering all the drivers in our family, until the kids were settled enough to pay for it themselves.

That's what AAA is for. I know how to change a tire, but at almost 68 years old, not going to do it. I had a flat last year, and my husband who rarely answers his cell or home phone, AAA got me home.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Ugh, the Bounty commercial where the kid is playing pirate and jams a plastic sword into her dad's ass. I'm sorry but that kid would become initimately acquainted with the back of my hand.

I agree, although at the same time I'm yelling at the mother to stop her caterwauling and just move the damn laptop out of the way.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

I still remember when NBC traded in their peacock logo for the letter "N" (and got sued for infringement of somebody else's "N").

And they had paid a small fortune to the ad agency for the design. A letter N.  I think it was some university in Nebraska who had it first. Bet that ad agency got fired.

• Love 1

Just saw another one I can't stand: the Charmin commercial where the young bear breaks into song that "my heinie's clean" because he uses Charmin. I hate all the bear commercials but that is my most despised.

• Love 13

I usually manage to let potentially annoying commercials roll off my back, with liberal use of the Skip Ahead 30 Seconds button, but Alex Trebek for Colonial Penn is sorely trying my patience. They just act like very elementary information is of blinding significance and cleverness.

Alex: "Just remember the three Ps."

Old Geezer: "The three what???"

Old Coot: "The three Ps?!?!?"

Old Granny, respectfully asking Alex to share his unimaginable wisdom: "What are the three Ps?"

Folks, it's not that fucking brilliant a concept. 

(No disrespect intended with the "old" designations; I'm old myself. But the thing is just so idiotically simple-minded.)

• Love 11
19 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I've never changed one. I think I know how in theory (but I am admittedly confused by where the jack goes?) and I know my dad tried to show me but he also got me AAA so clearly he didn't want me to, haha!

Where it goes depends on the vehicle. There's usually a diagram somewhere, but where they put that varies too.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Okay - this is the WORST song with the WORST beat and waaaay too many kids trying to be cool.  It is rapid fire and may cause epileptic seizures.  Auto mute!!!

Here's a behind the scenes video interviewing the kids in the ad.

3 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Here's a behind the scenes video interviewing the kids in the ad.

Super natural and VERY talented kids - their personalities should have/could have been showcased in that ad!!!!  Then I would buy Sunny D!!!!

• Love 1

Being bombarded with the blonde Nationwide Singer tonight. The one that graduated from the Michael Bolton School of Singing. She majored in "do not enunciate." And she seems so pleased with herself when she's done.  This is me imitating her, in a monotone, "ngah, ngah, nanana, ngah, ngah, ngah, nanana. I have no idea what she's warbling about. Enunciation is a friend to singers.

• Love 13
32 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

Being bombarded with the blonde Nationwide Singer tonight. The one that graduated from the Michael Bolton School of Singing. She majored in "do not enunciate." And she seems so pleased with herself when she's done.  This is me imitating her, in a monotone, "ngah, ngah, nanana, ngah, ngah, ngah, nanana. I have no idea what she's warbling about. Enunciation is a friend to singers.

Oh, I thought I was the only one!  Thank you!

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

And jacks aren't the same thing they were when I learned to drive.

I loved my Bloomfield jack! Hate those stupid scissors jacks, and currently have bottle jacks (or hydraulic jacks).

9 hours ago, friendperidot said:

This is my current Most Hated commercial. Well, at least until the creatively bankrupt ad agency working for Chevy drops a new Chevy douche masterpiece. 

• Love 11
12 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

This is my current Most Hated commercial. Well, at least until the creatively bankrupt ad agency working for Chevy drops a new Chevy douche masterpiece. 

I still haven't recovered from the Chevy ad about a dream car's most important features.  The earnest "safety for the kids" guy  would win the Most Annoying Voice award if it weren't for the airheaded "SEEER EE ously??!!" woman -- if they were to marry & have children, what would those little monsters sound like? 

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I want the Lumify people to explain why you shouldn't just use Visine or somesuch.

Because Visine is bad for you? That shit just makes it worse in the long run.

• Love 5

"Our lavender stinkbomb is so awesome, people think it smells more like lavender than the real flowers do!"

Of course they do - they've probably never been anywhere near a real lavender, only chemical goop.

• Love 12
On 8/19/2018 at 5:21 PM, Simon47 said:

Has anybody seen the commercial with this 1964 song in it?

I really think this commercial is going to be a plant.

Apparently the lead singer was Larry Henley who later co-wrote "Wind Beneath My Wings".

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:13 PM, MaryPatShelby said:

It was a requirement in my driver's ed that you could change a flat tire.  I actually had to have a note signed by my dad verifying that I could.  These days the lug nuts are put on with air wrenches, and I'm not sure I could.

• Love 6

Oh, jeez. I just read the wikipedia for Henley and he had a horrible end. Parkinson's, Alzheimer's AND Lewy Body? His poor family that had to deal with all of that.  Lewy Body Dementia is what Robin Williams was diagnosed with and I don't blame him one bit for taking the easy way out. I have a friend whose mom eventually died from it. It's nasty.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 3
On 8/25/2018 at 3:16 PM, Rinaldo said:

I usually manage to let potentially annoying commercials roll off my back, with liberal use of the Skip Ahead 30 Seconds button, but Alex Trebek for Colonial Penn is sorely trying my patience. They just act like very elementary information is of blinding significance and cleverness.

Alex: "Just remember the three Ps."

Old Geezer: "The three what???"

Old Coot: "The three Ps?!?!?"

Old Granny, respectfully asking Alex to share his unimaginable wisdom: "What are the three Ps?"

Folks, it's not that fucking brilliant a concept. 

(No disrespect intended with the "old" designations; I'm old myself. But the thing is just so idiotically simple-minded.)

This commercial makes me laugh so hard because the screen with 
P _ _ _ _ 
P _ _ _ _
P _ _ _ _

makes me think that Alex Trebek is about to say "pussy, pussy, pussy!" a la Cheech in From Dusk Till Dawn. But I hate the lady that says "the three whaaaaat?" like she never heard of a P before.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Alex Trebek is about to say "pussy, pussy, pussy!" a la Cheech in From Dusk Till Dawn.

I always figured, considering it's a product for seniors, one of the Ps stands for "pee" and another for "piss".   I think that lady is in some of the other commercials for products for seniors.   

24 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

This commercial makes me laugh so hard because the screen with 
P _ _ _ _ 
P _ _ _ _
P _ _ _ _

makes me think that Alex Trebek is about to say "pussy, pussy, pussy!" a la Cheech in From Dusk Till Dawn. But I hate the lady that says "the three whaaaaat?" like she never heard of a P before.

It annoys me that the 3 P's are all the same word.  They could make a more effective point by choosing 3 different terms that all still apply, like Price/Pre-existing/Physical (as in whether you have to worry about Pre-Existing Conditions or having a Physical before getting approved).

• Love 3

Also, doesn't that commercial say that one of the Ps "fits your budget" and another "is affordable" (or something along those lines)? Are they not similar enough to shrink the list own to TWO Ps?!

Edited by TattleTeeny

LOATHE anything using owls to sell a product, especially Trip Advisor with the owl screech. 

Hotel chains.  Bada book, bada boom.  Please tell me what this means.  Also where the guy is told to chose the highest chair around the table, and then complimented as "tall meeting man"  No.  No  Nonononono.

• Love 11
19 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Because Visine is bad for you? That shit just makes it worse in the long run.

Maybe, but how is that other stuff any better?  They don't explain!  Presumably it costs more money.  Why should anyone spend it?

Edited by janie jones
15 hours ago, janie jones said:

Maybe, but how is that other stuff any better?  They don't explain!  Presumably it costs more money.  Why should anyone spend it?

I got some because my rosacia affects my eyes. It makes the whites of your eyes almost blue. I don't use it very often because it gives me a headache.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Jaded said:

I struggled to get through the movie Dune once and was so tired of hearing the word spice by the end of it. 

The movie is abysmal. The book is good. Put the movie from your mind.

Topic? I agree with the message but I hate hate hate those anti-smoking commercials with the people who have/had cancer because of cigarette smoke. I don't want to hear someone speaking without a larynx. I don't want to know how you shave with a hole in your throat. 

• Love 15
7 hours ago, iHateAmpersands said:

I don't know if it's because I don't like the taste of them, but I can't stand those Twizzlers commercials where the people in them are stonefaced until the Twizzler shows up causing them to break into a smile.

yeah those all suck.  the fact is, Twizzlers ain't all that fun!  

• Love 8

I have no idea how long Liberty Insurance has been doing this, and apologies if it's been mentioned, but...

You know how Farmer's Insurance has that very unique and memorable musical tag, the a cappella vocal group that sings "We are Farmer's, da da da da da da da"? Last night I noticed that Liberty has out and out copied them. An a cappella vocal group singing "Liberty, liberty, liberty, liberty." This is shameless. As in, the agency and client must literally have no ability to feel shame.

• Love 8

I cannot stand the new kid in the wheelchair in the Shriners Children's Hospital commercial. I feel bad for him, but he gets on my nerves. I also wonder if the kids really make the baskets while trying to make the shot with the basketball or if someone else does it for them. Having the commercial shoved down the viewer's throats constantly probably makes people not want to donate.

Edited by bigskygirl

You know how Farmer's Insurance has that very unique and memorable musical tag, the a cappella vocal group that sings "We are Farmer's, da da da da da da da"? Last night I noticed that Liberty has out and out copied them. An a cappella vocal group singing "Liberty, liberty, liberty, liberty." This is shameless. As in, the agency and client must literally have no ability to feel shame.

Reminds me of the tag "We're Beatrice" in the 1980s. Everyone was asking, "Um, who's Beatrice?"

• Love 5

And was I the only one who was freaked out by it when I wasn’t expecting it?

I guess because I grew up around food companies, my father worked for Frito before and when it became Frito Lay, Planter's Peanuts and then became a broker for lots of different food companies, Sara Lee, for one, Beatrice didn't bother me. I don't think he ever represented Beatrice or any of their products.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, iHateAmpersands said:

I don't know if it's because I don't like the taste of them, but I can't stand those Twizzlers commercials where the people in them are stonefaced until the Twizzler shows up causing them to break into a smile.

I love Twizzlers, but hate those ads. Yeah, sticking something in my face like that won't make me laugh. It will make me want to punch you. 

• Love 11