Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Have you seen the ubiquitous Pinterest recipe that has ham and cheese in the Hawaiian King Roll, then brushed with melted butter and baked for a bit? (You make a pan of them, not just one.)  I can't remember what else is in there (maybe mustard or something) but oh Dear Lord does it look good.  And it probably has 5,000 calories. 

My mom has made them, and they are good, but messy to eat, and that's always a bit of a turn-off for me.  I'm weird like that.  I also don't like my food to touch.

I love those Hawaiian rolls. I've been known to eat half a package on the way home from the store. Yummo! 

As to the commercial, only one package isn't enough for a party, and I'm glad I don't have to clean up the mess from whatever got sprayed all over grandma and the kitchen. 

• Love 3

Sick of the Alex Trebec commercial selling life insurance.  It makes me miss the old life insurance commercial where the busybody neighbor has a discussion with a woman at the mailbox.  The women talk about one of the death of one of their mothers, and the woman at the mailbox triumphantly raises a Colonial Penn check she received in the mail.  At least I could snicker about that.

I miss the ads with busybodies because they were so unintentionally funny.  Remember the laxative ad where the busybody said, "Everybody needs help now and then" which was then changed to, "Lots of folks need help now and then"?  They have some dishwasher soap ads on where women are scolded by strangers about water spots or whatever, but they just don't go far enough on the busybody scale.  I want one of those new busybodies to slap the wrist of the offending homeowner or something really outrageous.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Annber03 said:

On a related icky note, I was watching some show on the Discovery Family Channel recently, and I saw a thing of ads for fake zits that kids could buy and put on their faces and, uh, pop. And the commercials kept showing the kids with the zits on their faces going up to other kids and gleefully popping them, while the other kids looked all disgusted. Yeah. 

And they kept showing those commercials virtually every commercial break, too. Every time I saw one, I just kept thinking of John Oliver's "Why is this a thing?" segment. 

There's also one where the kid uses that to scam a free pizza off the delivery guy. Yeah, right. Pizza delivery guys are running on a thin margin, they are *not* going to drop the pizza and run.

• Love 2

Am I the only one who thinks the guy in the Claritin commercial who's rolling around with a puppy in a field and laughing and cuddling him is just a little too into that poor puppy? Who is adorable x 100, btw. But for a reason I can't quite figure out, the guy creeps me out so much that I have to turn the commercial off, and then I have to miss the puppy, who I feel strongly needs to be rescued. 

• Love 1
On 4/30/2018 at 5:29 PM, PradaKitty said:

Who else hates the insurance (can’t remember ehat company it is, so the commercial is a bad idea) ad with the annoying woman getting into her “ replacement vehicle” and screeching byyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeee as she drives off? 

Hell, want to slam into her. 

It's Mercury Insurance.  And I'll come with you; we can take turns slamming into her!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

Chevy douche strikes again, this time showing cars to couples who just started dating. He ups his douche game exponentially by mentioning the cars are great for when you’ve gotten married and had your first kid, when you have three kids, dogs and a cat, etc. The whole thing is awkward and weird. His usual nonsense is bad enough, but it’s like he’s integrated the Match.com buttinsky’s obnoxiousness into his routine. 

Its the worst one yet

And that is saying something. 

• Love 9
12 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

Chevy douche strikes again, this time showing cars to couples who just started dating. He ups his douche game exponentially by mentioning the cars are great for when you’ve gotten married and had your first kid, when you have three kids, dogs and a cat, etc. The whole thing is awkward and weird. His usual nonsense is bad enough, but it’s like he’s integrated the Match.com buttinsky’s obnoxiousness into his routine. 

That one is especially horrible, because his final giant auto is pitched to a ridiculously large family -- not three kids, but FIVE kids (plus two dogs and a cat).  It's bad enough to present it as a given that every one of these random couples will wind up having kids, but to act like it's a good thing to shit out that many new people into a world already suffering an overpopulation crisis (one of the downsides of which is needing an oversized gas-guzzling vehicle)?  Sure, they could stay within the replacement rate with biological children and adopt the rest, but that's hardly the vibe the ad is going for.  It's gross.

• Love 9
On May 4, 2018 at 3:04 AM, spiderpig said:

This has to have been mentioned before, but it's ba-a-a-ck...

Skittles.  Where the girl meets the boy who has them plastered all over his face like chicken pox, and she plucks one off and eats it.

Where is my barf bag?

Right?!?!? So gross!!!

• Love 5
On May 4, 2018 at 8:27 PM, kirinan said:

Am I the only one who thinks the guy in the Claritin commercial who's rolling around with a puppy in a field and laughing and cuddling him is just a little too into that poor puppy? Who is adorable x 100, btw. But for a reason I can't quite figure out, the guy creeps me out so much that I have to turn the commercial off, and then I have to miss the puppy, who I feel strongly needs to be rescued. 

I love that commercial...nothing at all "creepy" about it, to me, anyway.

• Love 9

I can’t stand the disembodied voice of Jimmy Dean selling his breakfasts.  The poor man has been gone since 2010. 

Why do ad agencies think that kids selling adult products is a good idea.  I just saw a Kia commercial where the little girl has a squeaky voice that sounds like she sucked helium.  To me her voice was like nails on a blackboard.  And we have a local commercial where the Dad owns a car dealership and just has to put his 3 year old son in every commercial. You can’t understand one single thing the kid says. 

• Love 9
On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:45 PM, NinjaPenguins said:

The couple he was shilling cars to didn't look thrilled by his presumptuousness.

• Love 9
22 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

... And we have a local commercial where the Dad owns a car dealership and just has to put his 3 year old son in every commercial. You can’t understand one single thing the kid says. 

Dad probably had the kid record the announcement on the telephone answering machine at their home too.

• Love 10
On 5/6/2018 at 9:50 PM, KLovestoShop said:

And we have a local commercial where the Dad owns a car dealership and just has to put his 3 year old son in every commercial.

I always want to tell these people that their kid/grandkid isn't as cute as you think he/she is.

• Love 14
3 hours ago, spaceytraci1208 said:

I really hate the Clorox commercial where the little boy is mopping the bathroom with toilet water. The visual doesn't bother me at all, but the sound effects make me gag

Yes, when he says, "Mom, we have a situation here," I want to choke him.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, Ilovecomputers said:

I also want to smack his mom for putting that kind of belt in his wardrobe. I know adults that struggle with those.  When I was little, I had pants that had a sewn in belt with that enclosure.  My mom cut the belt off.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

I always want to tell these people that their kid/grandkid isn't as cute as you think he/she is.

Not to mention that there may come a time when these kids could grow up to totally resent having been put on TV and their childhood privacy having been trashed for the parents' profits.

Some years back there was a local business that kept putting the owner's small kids front and center to shill for it. Then came a very ugly public split between their two parents and, in addition to having to deal with the fallout of that, I  can't help but think that they got needless angst (and attention) via those commercials!  I hope the owners aren't surprised re possible future estrangements.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

I love that only because that's exactly what my nephew would say and has on many occasions its never "there's a problem" or "oops" its "we have a situation". He picked it up from his father who he copies everything his dad does. He often sounds like he's 30 years old instead of 7. 

• Love 10

I want to choke him because he sounds like a know-it-all to me--like one of those five-year-old "precocious" children on Kids' Chopped who talk about how he learned to prepare a scrumptious banh mi after spending the summer in Vietnam.

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, Ilovecomputers said:

I want to choke him because he sounds like a know-it-all to me--like one of those five-year-old "precocious" children on Kids' Chopped who talk about how he learned to prepare a scrumptious banh mi after spending the summer in Vietnam.

Because he can't get his belt off?

• Love 6
On 5/3/2018 at 9:31 PM, Wings said:

"Dad was just playing with Emma and he hit his head, it won't stop bleeding..."

THEY HAVE BEEN PLAYING THIS AGAIN.  I thought left for good.

For Warfrin, an implant.  Ugh I am  sick of it.

What dafuq? I guess I'm off to research Warfarin. I've heard the commercials many times but never paid attention. Sounds like it must be some concoction to slow down excessive bleeding when playing with Emma.

On 5/4/2018 at 1:34 PM, Ilovecomputers said:

Sick of the Alex Trebec commercial selling life insurance.  It makes me miss the old life insurance commercial where the busybody neighbor has a discussion with a woman at the mailbox.  The women talk about one of the death of one of their mothers, and the woman at the mailbox triumphantly raises a Colonial Penn check she received in the mail.  At least I could snicker about that.

I miss the ads with busybodies because they were so unintentionally funny.  Remember the laxative ad where the busybody said, "Everybody needs help now and then" which was then changed to, "Lots of folks need help now and then"?  They have some dishwasher soap ads on where women are scolded by strangers about water spots or whatever, but they just don't go far enough on the busybody scale.  I want one of those new busybodies to slap the wrist of the offending homeowner or something really outrageous.

Alex Trebac's face always startles me every time I see that commercial. Thankfully, he lets us know who he is since he looks like an alien from too much bad plastic surgery (or whatever the hell happened to his face)

• Love 4
6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I love that only because that's exactly what my nephew would say and has on many occasions its never "there's a problem" or "oops" its "we have a situation". He picked it up from his father who he copies everything his dad does. He often sounds like he's 30 years old instead of 7. 

And that reminds me of MY nephew...grown up now, but when he was very little, would say "I know what this is...it's a calamity!",  which he got from my mom ;-)

• Love 9
3 hours ago, spaceytraci1208 said:

We have disdain for 2 different ads lol. I was referring to this one:

Well I have to agree with you that those sloshing sounds are disgusting. Maybe he’s mopping the floor because he couldn’t get his belt unbuckled in time. 

• Love 4
On 5/6/2018 at 8:50 PM, KLovestoShop said:

I can’t stand the disembodied voice of Jimmy Dean selling his breakfasts.  The poor man has been gone since 2010. 

When he starts off with "I'm Jimmy Dean and I wish I could tell you how I feel..." I almost always end up finishing with it with "but I can't because I'm dead!" The fact that while he was living he sued Sara Lee to try to make them stop using his image just makes it so much worse. And it was already really bad.

• Love 12
50 minutes ago, JamieLynn832002 said:

The fact that while he was living he sued Sara Lee to try to make them stop using his image just makes it so much worse. And it was already really bad.

I hadn't heard about the lawsuit, but why was it bad that he sued Sara Lee for using his image?  

19 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I hadn't heard about the lawsuit, but why was it bad that he sued Sara Lee for using his image?  

The fact he didn't want them doing it while he was alive makes it especially gross that they (or the company that bought them out) are doing so now, years after his death.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, JamieLynn832002 said:

The fact he didn't want them doing it while he was alive makes it especially gross that they (or the company that bought them out) are doing so now, years after his death.

I agree with you but I guess the question that needs to be asked here is whether the late Mr. Dean's heirs have authorized the company's usage of his audio. If they did NOT, then they need to nail the company but if they DID then shame on them.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, JamieLynn832002 said:

Oh, ok I thought you were saying that it was bad on him because he was suing Sara Lee.

12 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

Well I have to agree with you that those sloshing sounds are disgusting. Maybe he’s mopping the floor because he couldn’t get his belt unbuckled in time. 

That kid with the mop.....so gross.  Mute now.

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

I agree with you but I guess the question that needs to be asked here is whether the late Mr. Dean's heirs have authorized the company's usage of his audio. If they did NOT, then they need to nail the company but if they DID then shame on them.

I can't stand commercial as Jimmy Dean publicly dumped his long time wife for a young thing.  "Judgement, line one!!!"    But yes, "You know how I feel in the morning?"  No, I don't know because you are dead.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

That kid with the mop.....so gross.  Mute now.

I can't stand commercial as Jimmy Dean publicly dumped his long time wife for a young thing.  "Judgement, line one!!!"    But yes, "You know how I feel in the morning?"  No, I don't know because you are dead.

Mrs. Hanson,

I don't disagree that it was a rather mean thing for the late Mr. Dean to have done (and if you want to boycott his company's sausage over it, you'll get no argument from me). For the record, I can't boycott his sausage because I very rarely eat sausage and, on those occasions when my resolve wanes, I opt for sausage made from pigs raised on local family farms not some processed thing out of a factory.

However; his behavior in life doesn't change the fact that he fought against his likeness being used by the company against his will when he was alive so, if his heirs have opted to allow his voice to be used by the company after his death, IMO that's rather shameful for them to have done (whether they're his progeny by his first wife or his much younger widow).

42 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Mrs. Hanson,

I don't disagree that it was a rather mean thing for the late Mr. Dean to have done (and if you want to boycott his company's sausage over it, you'll get no argument from me). For the record, I can't boycott his sausage because I very rarely eat sausage and, on those occasions when my resolve wanes, I opt for sausage made from pigs raised on local family farms not some processed thing out of a factory.

However; his behavior in life doesn't change the fact that he fought against his likeness being used by the company against his will when he was alive so, if his heirs have opted to allow his voice to be used by the company after his death, IMO that's rather shameful for them to have done (whether they're his progeny by his first wife or his much younger widow).

I completely agree with you on the likeness issue. and let's face it, if I judged everything I ate by the personal life of the owner/CEO/Board of Directors.....I would starve!!

I think the estate wanted some cash.......

• Love 2

If the company had the right to use his likeness when he was alive against his wishes, then I would assume that part of the sale of his company included a contractual agreement for the purchaser to do so.  It's unlikely such an agreement would be contingent on his being alive (the company wouldn't take a risk of paying for that asset and then losing it if he died two days after the sale) so I would think they've always had the right to use his image and have just recently decided to exercise it again.   

• Love 1

It's back....that odious, horrific Brightstar commercial that tries to guilt the children of Alzheimer's patients into keeping Mom at home because "Dad made us promise."

These Brightstar people are fucking monsters. And so is "Dad" for extorting that promise from his children in the first place.

• Love 23
2 hours ago, Eliot said:

It's back....that odious, horrific Brightstar commercial that tries to guilt the children of Alzheimer's patients into keeping Mom at home because "Dad made us promise."

These Brightstar people are fucking monsters. And so is "Dad" for extorting that promise from his children in the first place.

Loathe, hate, despise.......how can I count the ways?  Okay, look, Dad is dead, your mom needs A LOT of care.....she needs more than you can give.  Emotional blackmail....UGH!  I am going to hell but......methinks Dad would be all for someone else taking care of Mom, too.  I will show myself out......

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Loathe, hate, despise.......how can I count the ways?  Okay, look, Dad is dead, your mom needs A LOT of care.....she needs more than you can give.  Emotional blackmail....UGH!  I am going to hell but......methinks Dad would be all for someone else taking care of Mom, too.  I will show myself out......

I did an extended rant on this commercial a while ago, but every time I see it it makes my blood boil.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Eliot said:

I did an extended rant on this commercial a while ago, but every time I see it it makes my blood boil.

My mom made us kids promise HER we would not put her in an assisted living facility.  We all said, (and I paraphrase here) "Well we can't make that promise."  She was not pleased but oh well.....sometimes the best everyone has to give is not good enough.

• Love 12

This is a commercial for one of those apps that you send someone money on your phone. There is a horse  and jockey in the winners circle and the horse starts eating the flowers of some woman's hat that is standing next to it for pictures. If you are standing next to the horse I would think that you are the owner of the horse so you are the one responsible for the hat. but the jockey takes his phone (which was in his pocket of his jockey uniform) (I don't think they have pockets) and sends the woman money over his phone for her hat. Even if that woman is not the owner of the horse, the owner is not the jockey and he should not have to pay for the hat. The owner pays not the jockey. It irritates me every time this ad plays.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, margol29 said:

but the jockey takes his phone (which was in his pocket of his jockey uniform) (I don't think they have pockets) and sends the woman money over his phone for her hat.

I've never seen a jockey outfit with pockets because every ounce counts (so you shouldn't be carrying anything). Equestrian outfits for horse shows can have pockets since weight doesn't matter.

• Love 3