Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, crazy8s said:

were Jer and Jing on the show last night? If they are still following the Jer and Aud Roloff pattern, which they have every step of the way. book, podcast, silly themed online store that fails, if they continue follow the Roloff pattern they will quit the show and their new shop will be selling essential oils......

Scented pocket squares.  You're welcome, Jeremy.  Make sure I get my 50% cut for thinking of it.

13 hours ago, Nysha said:

I honestly think Jeremy has what I call "the grass is always greener" syndrome. As soon as something quits being fun or easy he's off to the new thing that will fulfill his desire to be rich and famous instead of slogging through until it's a success. Jeremy might be boring, but he could learn to act naturally enthusiastic and knowledgeable long enough to preach a sermon, give a speech, or put together a social media post.  But, he doesn't want to be entertaining, he wants to be the respected authority of all things and he doesn't have the talent or experience to pull that off.

So what's strange to me is that he did reach a level of success as a soccer player, which takes a tremendous amount of time and discipline, so we know he has experience in working hard - but I also think that BECAUSE he reached such a high plateau in sports, he thinks that he can just hang his hat on that accomplishment and the "hard work" portion of his life is over.  He must assume that companies are going to come knocking down the door of a Z-list former soccer player and his wife for endorsements.  I think he sees himself and Jinger as a slightly less famous version of David Beckham and Posh Spice.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
(edited)
10 hours ago, laurakaye said:

So what's strange to me is that he did reach a level of success as a soccer player, which takes a tremendous amount of time and discipline, so we know he has experience in working hard -

I actually suspect that Jeremy's lack of discipline and laziness is a big factor why he really didn't get very far in soccer. I mean, compared to the average person, yes, he did achieve some modest success in professional sports, but I don't think you end up playing football* in Finland if you're a top talent. That's not to say he perhaps didn't have the potential to go farther, but he clearly didn't. And he didn't last long with the MLS team he was with either and never played a game with them as far as I can tell. 

*and by football I mean soccer 🙂 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 17
5 hours ago, Zella said:

I actually suspect that Jeremy's lack of discipline and laziness is a big factor why he really didn't get very far in soccer. I mean, compared to the average person, yes, he did achieve some modest success in professional sports, but I don't think you end up playing football in Finland if you're a top talent. That's not to say he perhaps didn't have the potential to go farther, but he clearly didn't. And he didn't last long with the MLS team he was with either and never played a game with them as far as I can tell. 

If you're any good, you end up at the other side of Europe not in Finland. Germany, Italy, England, France, Spain, there's where the real money is to be made.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, Zella said:

It's . . . not a picture that reassures me my customer service issue will be resolved, that's for sure. 

If anything, it projects circumvention. Everything hidden except for the eyes. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
1 minute ago, emmawoodhouse said:

If anything, it projects circumvention. Everything hidden except for the eyes. 

If they weren't so spectacularly inept, I'd think this was some sort of elaborate subliminal messaging attempt to quell the complaints. LOLOL

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
Just now, Zella said:

If they weren't so spectacularly inept, I'd think this was some sort of elaborate subliminal messaging attempt to quell the complaints. LOLOL

Yeah, HOPE BOLD has hidden meanings that we mere mortals will never divine. 😂

• LOL 13
10 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Yeah, HOPE BOLD has hidden meanings that we mere mortals will never divine. 😂

Hope BOLD they ain't reporting your ass to the credit card companies you charged for broken candles and unfulfilled orders for fraud!?!?  😄 

• LOL 14
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, Zella said:

Hope BOLD they ain't reporting your ass to the credit card companies you charged for broken candles and unfulfilled orders for fraud!?!?  😄 

Sadly, that won't happen. The sorry Christians who bought into their bullshit will eat the loss and hopefully be a little more wary about who they give their money to. From the complaints I read, people seemed more disappointed than angry. Maybe THAT'S Hope BOLD!!!!111 😁

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, beckie said:

Who is the person incognito?

According to Reddit, it's Cambria Jacobson. She does their marketing. She was also behind Audrey Roloff's online store.....which shut down. Not a good track record, but she's hot, blonde and Jesus-y, so she ticks the right boxes for Jeremy. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Useful 7
  • LOL 5

It also just dawned on me that this is a Story, right? So, it's going to expire and disappear. It's not the same as making a stable post encouraging people to contact them. What a bunch of fucking weasels! (That's probably an insult to weasels, to be fair to weasels.) 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 5
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

It also just dawned on me that this is a Story, right? So, it's going to expire and disappear. It's not the same as making a stable post encouraging people to contact them. What a bunch of fucking weasels! (That's probably an insult to weasels, to be fair to weasels.) 

Too bad, so sad. Assholes. 

• Love 6
(edited)
1 minute ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Too bad, so sad. Assholes. 

Yep How very Christian of a budding minister and his wife! 

WWJPOI What Would Jesus Post on Instagram? Not a Story in response to a complete business failure. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 13
5 minutes ago, Zella said:

WWJPOI What Would Jesus Post on Instagram? Not a Story in response to a complete business failure. 

A giant middle finger to their loyal, gullible customers. I can't believe they're going to get away with this.

• Love 7

That picture isn’t even on the Hope & Stead page. Instead, it’s on their  podcast page, for 24 hours as a story.

The original Instagram page the products were on, currently looks like this:

3C5B52B3-D5A4-4CF9-AA14-7FFC8616A88D.jpeg

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, Zella said:

I think you're talking about your Jesus. Theirs......may be a little different....apparently. 😁

I mean, theirs absolutely hates social justice, for example. And thinks a city with a lot of Catholic residents has a demonic-horde problem. More of an Ayn-Rand-style Jesus. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8
35 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

So their effort are "Non-Profit"??  Have we seen that and discussed before?  It's the first time hearing that for me.

Sounds like a CYA retcon to me -- and I've spent 15 years listening to lawyers' arguments.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Why does this picture look like a still from a crazy Lifetime stalker movie? "A Barista's Worst Nightmare" 

I was thinking it was one of those lifetime movies where woman runs away from her abusive husband, makes the best friend in a new city, and then the best friend takes off her wig and it turns out to be the husband. And then they fight and she kills him.

• LOL 21

When they first started Hope & Stead they did not mention non-profits. Shortly after, people asked if they were going to donate proceeds, up popped the non-profit info. They did not say proceeds were going to them, just that they support them. 

17 weeks ago:

679A6044-90CC-4748-A283-E9A7A22D1FFD.jpeg

• Useful 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

So their effort are "Non-Profit"??  Have we seen that and discussed before?  It's the first time hearing that for me.

I'm pretty sure that's always been something they list.

I remember at least a short discussion of it back around the time they started the store the first time.

I think maybe at that point they made some vague statement about donating proceeds and maybe even some vague description of the kind of cause/group/whatever to which they'd donate them....

ETA: Day late. Dollar short. Thanks, @Ginger

I also remember that when they were asking people to predict (before it opened) what their store would do, some people guessed that it'd have a charitable function of some kind! I remember we discussed that as touching innocence about what the Vuolo Jesus is interested in . 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

When they first started Hope & Stead they did not mention non-profits. Shortly after, people asked if they were going to donate proceeds, up popped the non-profit info. They did not say proceeds were going to them, just that they support them. 

17 weeks ago:

679A6044-90CC-4748-A283-E9A7A22D1FFD.jpeg

Compassion International, Inc. is a mission-type organization that must make pretty decent use of its money. They get good marks from the charity-rating groups. 

Unusual for a mission that these people are involved in to actually try to help real people with real problems rather than just preach at them. So I'll definitely give them points for that. ....

Of course, we don't know how much of the proceeds they intend to donate. Although we can probably be pretty sure that the total revenues so far have been quite slim.....and there may not be a lot of HOPE for them to get any fatter....

https://greatnonprofits.org/org/compassion-international-inc

Target demographics: children living in extreme poverty.

Direct beneficiaries per year: 1,461,116 children

Geographic areas served: 26 countries

Programs: Compassion International exists as a Christian child advocacy ministry that releases children from spiritual, economic, social and physical poverty and enables them to become responsible, fulfilled Christian adults. Compassion's Child Sponsorship Program creates a one-to-one relationship between a child living in extreme poverty and a sponsor, who, through a $38 monthly commitment, provides that child with physical, social, spiritual and economic care and training, making a difference in that child’s life, thereby changing her world and empowering her to improve her environment for future generations. Compassion's Child Survival Program responds to the needs of mothers on behalf of their babies by ensuring a healthy environment and a strong start in life for the poorest and most vulnerable so that they may escape the cycle of poverty. Using proven child survival strategies, caregivers are equipped to nurture and disciple their children, who otherwise might not survive to age 5.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3

They are being so willfully unhelpful and lazy with their failed "store" and their soon-to-be defunct podcast.  With the store's site being redirected to another site - the site of the podcast - where Jeremy asks his listeners to tell him what to talk about and who to interview - it seems designed to get their customers to just say, "forget about it, I'm out $18.95, lesson learned."  And with a "sorry your items got broken" IG story that's designed to only be seen for 24 hours and then it's gone, the onus is on the customer.  Excellent business savvy, Jeremy.  What a colossal jerk.

• LOL 1
  • Love 14
3 hours ago, JoanArc said:

I was thinking it was one of those lifetime movies where woman runs away from her abusive husband, makes the best friend in a new city, and then the best friend takes off her wig and it turns out to be the husband. And then they fight and she kills him.

To be fair, that sounds like an amazing movie.

2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I also remember that when they were asking people to predict (before it opened) what their store would do, some people guessed that it'd have a charitable function of some kind! I remember we discussed that as touching innocence about what the Vuolo Jesus is interested in . 

That was so delicious!

I don't think it even was purposeful trolling, I think leghumpers were suggesting that in earnest... yet it was still *chef's kiss* trolling anyhow 😂

15 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

They are being so willfully unhelpful and lazy with their failed "store" and their soon-to-be defunct podcast.  With the store's site being redirected to another site - the site of the podcast - where Jeremy asks his listeners to tell him what to talk about and who to interview - it seems designed to get their customers to just say, "forget about it, I'm out $18.95, lesson learned."  And with a "sorry your items got broken" IG story that's designed to only be seen for 24 hours and then it's gone, the onus is on the customer.  Excellent business savvy, Jeremy.  What a colossal jerk.

Yup, exactly, they want it to be such a pain to get a refund that nobody can actually do it. Which is incredibly sleazy, and also bad business.

There is no way their other ventures are going to last long if this is their idea of customer service. They're clearly not even thinking long-term in terms of their own viability as a brand, just trying to grift as much as they can now and then run away later.

Which I think is a terrible plan, but then a lot of what the Vuolos do seems like a terrible plan to me.

• Love 13
25 minutes ago, rue721 said:

To be fair, that sounds like an amazing movie.

It’s called A Dangerous Secret.  You know, the same title as every other lifetime movie. 

I’m waiting for one named Counting On: The Hope We Hold (based on a true story).  It should be out in about 10 years. 

• LOL 18
(edited)
19 hours ago, doodlebug said:

My brother in law started an online store and has managed to turn it into a full time business with hundreds of employees and a very nice income for his family.  However, he started with a product that he made himself in his basement at first, something unique and not available just anywhere.  Something that a lot of people might enjoy and that was also going to appeal to people who wanted to make a wholesale purchase and then re-sell it.  He literally spent a couple of years doing research in his off-hours from his regular job.  He went online, read books, contacted successful entrepreneurs for advice.  He also studied the internet in detail; how search engines work, how to rise to the top of the first page on Google, etc..  Then, he launched his product, starting out using someone else' store on E Bay before getting his own site.  He made fast and friendly customer service his trademark.  Even today, doing millions of dollars in business every year; any customer with a complaint will receive a personal reply from him within a day and often a phone call, too.  He guarantees to make things right if the product is damaged or delivered late or otherwise unsatisfactory.  Then, he goes out and does what he promises.  He also spends well over 60 hours a week at the business doing the actual work to this day.

People like my brother in law can run profitable internet enterprises.  People like Jing and Jer will never do it right, so they'll never make much money.

Exactly.

All this is necessary. And congrats to your brother in law, because I know of some people who actually have done all that and still have trouble turning a good profit. It's  very hard work and to some degree remains a chancy enterprise even for those who make the proper effort, due to whims of the marketplace. 

And even trying it is insanity for people like Jer and Jingle, none of whose pursuits lend themselves in the slightest to spinning off a good product for which they could find a sufficient market, whether self-invented or bought wholesale elsewhere. Jer -- who has a business degree and a half -- must not have read or listened to one iota of advice about online businesses before glomming onto this idiotic doomed project. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, JoanArc said:

I’m waiting for one named Counting On: The Hope We Hold (based on a true story).  It should be out in about 10 years. 

Oh God it sounds like it would be the fundie version of Revolutionary Road.

• LOL 7
Just now, BitterApple said:

Side note: I love that movie.

I do too. I love Michael Shannon in that movie. 

I keep trying to read the book and then noping out of it. Not because it's not good but just because I don't think I can emotionally handle reading it. 

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

kmq4bfxsjvq61.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

Okay, what this seems to be is a branch of the MacArthur church enterprise that's reaching out to moneyed, prosperous and upwardly mobile  all young adults in the LA area in an attempt to hornswoggle  invite them into this grift mill for greedy fuckers like MacArthur and Jer  longstanding spiritual community to continue Johnny Mac's and his cronies' cash flow ad infinitum  help them set up automatic tithing in their bank/credit card accounts navigate this sin-filled world by shoring up the sexist, racist snotty-Christian patriarchy  through superior adherence to MacArthur's obnoxious bigotry and meanness  Christian faith.

This Austin Duncan guy, pictured above with so-so-pleased-with-what-he-thinks-are-his-good-looks jerkwad Jer, is the guy Jer was sucking up to at the parking-lot breakfast(s?) he posted about last year.

So I guess Jer's become a kind of adjunct in this program, which the church leaders likely intend to stem the increasing flow of younger people out of the churches, including theirs.

Jer has preached at least one sermon to this group, which, for anyone in search of a non-habit-forming sleep aid, is found here       https://www.gracechurch.org/sermons/16836            It's "Defying God's Word," based on passages from Jonah. 

Called a "college and career" ministry, this group runs sermon/lecture series, bible study groups and whatnot in various places and for various target audiences around the LA area. For example, there are separate groups for USC people, UCLA people, Cal State Northridge people, College of the Canyons people and others.    

Here's their anchor web page       https://www.gracechurch.org/crossroads

Here's hoping they don't manage to tempt too damn many young people into this misogynistic, homophobic, racist brand of religion. (Maybe Jer's boring droning sermonizing style can actually help me get my wish on this one...although it's not clear they let him speak very often....) 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 11
  • Love 13

Does this mean Jing and Jer aren't going to the great celebration of love... er... I mean business deal signing that is Jed! and Katey's wedding. Going to Arkansas for the wedding and being back to lead Easter Sunday service in California at 8 seems like a lot. 

• Love 16