Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

26 minutes ago, SMama said:

I hope Deanna received her rightful share of the properties. They were her parents as well.

Oh I think the estate is what caused the problem with Famy and her mom and thus they both signed an NDA for Boob. If Mary left Boob as executor there were probably issues on the definition of rightful share. Plus Mary may have added Boob to certain bank accounts as a help to her as she aged and then at her death, those were his alone. Which in a normal family, he would have shared with Deanna. But I just don’t think Boob is a nice, normal guy, especially where $$ is concerned.

• Love 6
40 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I thought on SM if a poster got a product free in exchange for a post, they needed to state, "this is an ad" somewhere.

They're supposed to but vast numbers of people don't. 

The FTC has to police all kinds of consumer-protection issues, plus all civil antitrust issues and they don't have the resources, especially the person power, to do it all. So they have to concentrate on violations that affect the most people most seriously. That pretty much precludes chasing down a lot of minor influencers, especially if they're shilling relatively harmless stuff like ice cream rather than potentially suspect vitamin supplements or something, or if they're not actual famous people. 

For a while, it seemed Jer was being careful about his posts that involved the book publisher he gets freebies from. I think the publisher may have warned him after he basically stated that he was personally giving away books in a contest that actually involved publisher freebies. Other than that, though, they haven't said anything  much about ads in their posts. Realized that almost nobody obeys that rule and virtually everybody gets away with it, I guess. And since they're probably mostly getting products rather than cash, they're quite low on the list for enforcement,  probably. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I thought on SM if a poster got a product free in exchange for a post, they needed to state, "this is an ad" somewhere.

They're supposed to; something like #ad or #<company name>partner. I think Twitter and Instagram terms of service require it and can suspend an account for violations. But of course, many influencers just ignore that rule.

• Love 4
Just now, ginger90 said:

Jeremy’s posts are probably more along the lines of advertising himself, hoping the company will contact him. 🤷🏼‍♀️

That's what I think, as well.

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Jeremy’s posts are probably more along the lines of advertising himself, hoping the company will contact him. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I agree that that's very often true. Definitely for many if not all of the dining and coffee joints, for example. 

But I don't think it's true for the book publisher or for Salt & Straw, specifically, since they've done many many posts for both.

And because those particular companies can really benefit, in ways that others may not or don't need to, from having influencers exactly like Jinge and Jeremy -- and thus given those influencers a little free product. Obviously. I may be wrong about this. However, they're far from the only people who post ads without noting the fact. So doing it figuring you'll get away with it isn't at all unheard of, since the enforcement focuses almost entirely on businesses and agencies, not individuals, except for the very famous. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 1
On 3/23/2021 at 10:27 AM, Churchhoney said:

Interesting thought. He's said in the past that when he was cut from the New York Bulls, he went into a bit of a tailspin. Always hard to know how seriously to take anybody when they describe that kind of thing, since one person's tailspin may look like somebody else's minor upset, but still...

I think Jer described just hanging around his parents' house sleeping all the time after he left the Bulls. As I recall, Chuck kind of took the lead and found some opportunities for him in Texas, on the minor-league soccer team and with Tim Conway's San Antonio Grace Church,. And then I think maybe Chuck actually drove Jer to Texas to get him started? 

So -- while I may be misremembering or his story may overstate the case, it's possible resiliency is an issue for him....He is the baby of his family and I think has been pretty cherished on that account. Largely homeschooled. Possible he's just never had much experience with struggling and recovering....

I distinctly remember when Jeremy announced his engagement to his parents.  Both of their jaws dropped in surprise.  I always thought his parents had assumed Jeremy was just not good marriage material, for reasons they knew.

• LOL 6
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

I agree that that's very often true. Definitely for many if not all of the dining and coffee joints, for example. 

But I don't think it's true for the book publisher or for Salt & Straw, specifically, since they've done many many posts for both.

And because those particular companies can really benefit, in ways that others may not or don't need to, from having influencers exactly like Jinge and Jeremy -- and thus given those influencers a little free product. Obviously. I may be wrong about this. However, they're far from the only people who post ads without noting the fact. So doing it figuring you'll get away with it isn't at all unheard of, since the enforcement focuses almost entirely on businesses and agencies, not individuals, except for the very famous. 

What do you call breakout stars, chopped liver?

• LOL 6

Oh, look. Jeremy and Jinger have rebranded again. Podcast Instagram is under construction as some sort of cooking venture. What will they be hawking this time?

Screenshot_20210325-153303_(1).png

Edited by BitterApple
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Oh, look. Jeremy and Jinger have rebranded again. Podcast Instagram is under construction as some sort of cooking business. What will they be hawking this time?

Hope We Hold podcasts, Hope We Hold retail and Hope and Stead retail? 

They are all over the place.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Jinger put this in her stories, and then  the pizza place put it in theirs. Boxes, a freaking picture of the boxes. 🤷🏼‍♀️

6B2A7B93-13BE-43B4-B0B1-2814EAC6C6F1.jpeg

10024D24-28D5-4C3F-8937-ABA87B76D702.jpeg

I think we all know that Jinger had nothing to do with that post. 

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

Is this what it's like to watch a midlife crisis unfold in real time, ten to fifteen years too early? 

It's a trainwreck, that's for sure. And like any good trainwreck, I am rubbernecking. 😂

• LOL 13
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

It's a trainwreck, that's for sure. And like any good trainwreck, I am rubbernecking. 😂

At this rate, he's days away from adding a ponytail and motorcycle (or sports car) to the trainwreck. 😂

• LOL 11
9 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Yeah, I could see JereME with a crotch rocket. 😂

I'm already exhausted just imagining how he'd post about that on the Gram. 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 7
On 3/24/2021 at 8:51 PM, QuinnInND said:

$13.00 a pint ice cream?!? Seriously?? Who the hell would pay that much for ice cream?? Unreal. 

Hee! Me. I would pay 13 dollars for ice cream. I do enjoy Salt and Straw, but tend to buy more of Jeni's ice cream which is around 12 dollars for a pint. I spend a ridiculous amount on wine as well. 

Edited by Misslindsey
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
Just now, Misslindsey said:

Hee! Me. I would pay 13 dollars for ice cream. I do enjoy Salt and Straw, but tend to buy more of Jeni's ice cream. I spend a ridiculous amount on wine as well. 

Thank you! I rarely buy Salt & Straw by the pint, but that shizz is LEGIT! And living in a big city in California, that price doesn't really faze me. If I can get out of a dessert store for less than $20, I feel like I'm doing well. And if S&S wants to send me $100 worth of ice cream in a bag, you know I'd be posting about it on Insta. I mean, I'm not an influencer, so I don't get stuff for free, but I still tag good businesses.

Jinger's pizza photo is a little perplexing because you'd think you'd want to actually show the pizza. And why do they need like 5 large pizzas for 2 1/2 people? But it's not surprising to me that the pizza place would repost her story. A lot of places repost all of their mentions. Yesterday, I posted a photo in my stories from a tattoo artist in another country because it featured a cartoon I like and the artist reposted my story thanking me for posting. 😂

• Love 7

Why don't they brand themselves for what they are - a religious family, 2 cute kids, dad and mom, living in LA. They could get so much more audience from that. But no, shoes and food is so much better

• Useful 4
  • Love 9
15 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Oh, look. Jeremy and Jinger have rebranded again. Podcast Instagram is under construction as some sort of cooking venture. What will they be hawking this time?

It's the Second Coming! 

Is that what "The King Is Coming" t shirt was about? (and if so -- worse and worse and I didn't think it could get worse...)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 7
5 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

Why don't they brand themselves for what they are - a religious family, 2 cute kids, dad and mom, living in LA. They could get so much more audience from that. But no, shoes and food is so much better

My guess is that, despite his declared career ambitions, Jer isn't actually, deep down, very interested in religion (maybe not in kids and family either, but definitely not in religion). 

He really really loves shoes and food, though. So it makes no sense to me that -- since he already has one and a half business degrees -- he didn't finish up the Syracuse degree online while seeking a job in a food or fashion business that he likes after his sports career didn't work out and his first pastoral job didn't make him happy.

All I can figure is that he so wants to be his parents' golden boy and to be a big shot leader of men that those desires overwhelm any common sense. Preaching seems to him like the road to those -- outcome-centered, rather than interest-centered -- goals...while working in the food or the fashion business doesn't.

But the food and the fashion business are things he likes. And he could work successfully in one of those without having to be a public speaker -- which he's terrible at -- or even a writer, which he doesn't seem very good at either. 

If that hypothesis is anything like what actually happened, he'll continue to founder careerwise probably, I would guess. And be unhappy. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 15

But he can't ignore the fact he married a Duggar, and they won't get any endorsements and will keep loosing the one they actually manage to get, as it happened before - because everyone knows Duggar beliefs.

He just does not know how to find his place 

• Love 9

I'm thinking maybe the online podcasts and stores are more gimmicks and interests, rather than career pursuits. 

Jeremy fancy's himself a celebrity. Almost every celebrity out there has a side gig and not always for the money. These gigs include cookbooks, alcohol, podcasts, clothing lines, shoes, kid's books, health & wellness blogs, etc. Maybe he's just doing a sucky job at being a 'celebrity'.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
39 minutes ago, Snow Fairy said:

But he can't ignore the fact he married a Duggar, and they won't get any endorsements and will keep loosing the one they actually manage to get, as it happened before - because everyone knows Duggar beliefs.

He just does not know how to find his place 

He will never find that place.  Because as has been pointed out before, some people will search every square inch of the Vuolo's lives to find something they can torpedo, just because. 

We've all seen the absolute glee some individuals take in heading straight to a new or potential sponsor, in order to trash this couple in social media and point out every single bad thing they can.  Even when they can only base it on the fact that there is a Duggar involved somewhere.

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, leighdear said:

He will never find that place.  Because as has been pointed out before, some people will search every square inch of the Vuolo's lives to find something they can torpedo, just because. 

We've all seen the absolute glee some individuals take in heading straight to a new or potential sponsor, in order to trash this couple in social media and point out every single bad thing they can.  Even when they can only base it on the fact that there is a Duggar involved somewhere.

The fact that he will never find that place can be simply down to his struggle to know and understand himself, his aptitudes and talents.   That's the case for many, many people, and it can make life very difficult and much less enjoyable.   A lot of people in the public eye go through this after their 15 minutes of fame are up, sometimes when their careers go through a valley.   Some manage to reinvent themselves publicly, some find their spot out of the spotlight, sometimes it may be the reason others fall into substance abuse, etc.   Even those who are born with a silver spoon, or a crown as it were, can suffer immensely trying to find the spot where they can achieve balance that works for them.     

• Love 13
26 minutes ago, leighdear said:

That's why I said that they needed to work on their "religious family living modern life in LA" branding. They wouldn't hide the Duggar side, the Jesus side, the food and shoes side - they could blend this together to be interesting

But who am I kidding, that's Baabe I'm talking about

• Love 11
27 minutes ago, leighdear said:

8 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

The fact that he will never find that place can be simply down to his struggle to know and understand himself, his aptitudes and talents.   That's the case for many, many people, and it can make life very difficult and much less enjoyable.   A lot of people in the public eye go through this after their 15 minutes of fame are up, sometimes when their careers go through a valley.   Some manage to reinvent themselves publicly, some find their spot out of the spotlight, sometimes it may be the reason others fall into substance abuse, etc.   Even those who are born with a silver spoon, or a crown as it were, can suffer immensely trying to find the spot where they can achieve balance that works for them.     

Both these theories could be right and when combined it seems like an uphill battle.

• Love 2

I think Jeremy wants fame and power in whatever way he can get it, but doesn’t have the drive and vision to make it happen. We saw how half-assed he was a pastor at the church in Laredo, especially after he married Jinger. Then he gloms on to McArthur and his organization as his ticket to fame, while simultaneously trying to cash in on the Duggar name to be an influencer. Problem is, he doesn’t seem to  have a vision beyond “get people to notice me and give me stuff.” Their brand is a mess, there is no cohesion in their messaging, and for 2 people who have a book coming out, seem to be doing fuck-all to promote it. He wants the rewards without the work. All sizzle, no steak.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 20
46 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Both these theories could be right and when combined it seems like an uphill battle.

Just from the aspect of people who are floundering to find the place in life where they are fulfilled and have a feeling of purpose and capability is an uphill battle in and of itself.   I think an easy way to look at that for everyone to relate to is looking at people who became famous as children.   What happens when the source of their initial fame comes to an end?   So many have had really public and unfortunate paths while they grappled with what to do next.   Without a doubt that's a hard thing for people to go through, and fame no doubt only adds layers of difficulty to the mix.

In regards to the idea that they are merely the innocent victims to malicious gangs of social media warriors out to destroy them, IDK.   There no doubt are people who engage in stuff like that for sport, which is truly unfortunate.   But it also has to be considered that others may well reach out to sponsors or companies or whatever and voice their concerns about affiliating with Jeremy and Jinger as a legitimate counter argument to public opinions they put out there that could be viewed in a light of marginalizing others or trampling on other belief systems.   In that case it seems Jeremy and Jinger need to accept that there can be a price to disseminating their opinions publicly as they do and they have no right to expect that they are entitled to a bully pulpit.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

I think there certainly has been a learning curve for the Vuolos. First, I think they both lived in tiny worlds, (yes, Jeremy too) and didn't realize the amount of folks who 100% disagree with their beliefs. Secondly, they didn't realize the amount of advocacy or hate their detractors have.

In their worlds, believers are/were admired and spreading the word is/was admirable.

I believe they have started to recognize and embrace this, and pivoted to their podcasts and ridiculous 'store(s)'.

Maybe Jeremy is still fishing for influencer gigs and seeing who will bite. What's there to lose?

I don't think Jeremy risks his reputation with the Fundy community because of his IG posts. He's a Fundy with bougie tastes. If believers can overlook the helicopters, mansions and cars of big time preachers, expensive ice cream and sneakers are really no big deal for a D-list celebrity, going to school to become a preacher.

• Love 5

Yeah, Jinger and Jeremy getting cancelled when they do sponsorships isn't just a matter of people ganging up on them. Yes, some people do take a lot of pleasure in reporting them every time they get a sponsorship, but they're not innocent victims. They also bring a lot of this on themselves because they are so bad at it and because they try to have their cake and eat it too. Their messaging is a disaster with no focus. Even when they haven't been cancelled, they've fucked up the gig because they don't know how to do an ad. They also choose to work with people who don't share their values, and they refuse to disavow the beliefs that cause people to complain about them. That is their prerogative, but there are consequences for aligning yourself with people like MacArthur (and the Duggars, for that matter). There are also consequences for being inept at your job. 

To be honest, if Jinger and Jeremy were my family or friends, I'd probably be having conversations with other people in our circle on how to stage an intervention. It's funny to watch this implode as a snarker, but if someone I genuinely cared about was doing this, including but not limited to the weird, almost unhinged shit he's posting on social media right now and how exhausted and miserable she looks and how they keep changing careers like a billionaire burning through trophy wives, I'd be concerned about their mental well-being. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 2
  • Love 22
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

But the food and the fashion business are things he likes. And he could work successfully in one of those without having to be a public speaker -- which he's terrible at -- or even a writer, which he doesn't seem very good at either. 

I couldn't agree more, but the problem for Jeremy is that he doesn't have the discipline or the inclination to score an entry-level job in either food or fashion and then work his way up through the ranks. Nor would he be content with a desk job or a behind-the-scenes position. More than an interest in any particular profession, Jeremy wants to be a STAR. He wanted to be a hero on the soccer field and his goal in religion is to be a famous and powerful preacher like MacArthur or a Calvinist version of Joel Osteen. Fashion and food would only work for him if he could be a model in the pages of GQ or the host of a cooking show. Unfortunately, as you pointed out, he doesn't have the speaking or writing skills (or the looks, for that matter) to succeed. His best bet is to stick with MacArthur and hope that his patron will find a safe, secure niche for him. 

• Love 13
1 minute ago, Albanyguy said:

I couldn't agree more, but the problem for Jeremy is that he doesn't have the discipline or the inclination to score an entry-level job in either food or fashion and then work his way up through the ranks.

Yes. He doesn't even have the discipline, determination, and wherewithal to persist with any of his influencing gigs, eithers! Though they are just now making it obvious, it seems like Hope and Stead lasted all of 6 weeks before it was dropped. 

• Love 9
34 minutes ago, Albanyguy said:

I couldn't agree more, but the problem for Jeremy is that he doesn't have the discipline or the inclination to score an entry-level job in either food or fashion and then work his way up through the ranks. Nor would he be content with a desk job or a behind-the-scenes position. More than an interest in any particular profession, Jeremy wants to be a STAR. He wanted to be a hero on the soccer field and his goal in religion is to be a famous and powerful preacher like MacArthur or a Calvinist version of Joel Osteen. Fashion and food would only work for him if he could be a model in the pages of GQ or the host of a cooking show. Unfortunately, as you pointed out, he doesn't have the speaking or writing skills (or the looks, for that matter) to succeed. His best bet is to stick with MacArthur and hope that his patron will find a safe, secure niche for him. 

All most likely true, sadly. 

The only hitch with his best bet is that before terribly long MacArthur will, one way or another, age out of his top spot.

Then Jer's gotta make sure he's backing the right horse among the potential successors.....Sometimes that's tricky! 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Churchhoney said:

All most likely true, sadly. 

The only hitch with his best bet s that before terribly long MacArthur will, one way or another, age out of his top spot.

Then Jer's gotta make sure he's backing the right horse among the potential successors.....Sometimes that's tricky! 

My guess is it's gonna be Death of Stalin levels of absurdity at the seminary when MacArthur passes.

• LOL 12
21 minutes ago, Zella said:

My guess is it's gonna be Death of Stalin levels of absurdity at the seminary when MacArthur passes.

Which is really telling if the mission is really supposed to be about faith in Christ, or not as the case may be.   If the focus is truly learning about and spreading the message of Christ it's expected they would mourn a beloved founder, but be able to readily continue the mission.

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, Zella said:

And possibly at the church as well. And at Grace to You, the media arm. And at the University. 🙃

There are FOUR big enterprises to fight over here. Apocalypse. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

Because there are so many of those out there already? None of that would make them special or interesting.

4 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

It's the Second Coming! 

Is that what "The King Is Coming" t shirt was about? (and if so -- worse and worse and I didn't think it could get worse...)

Are we sure that isn’t a Kanye shirt? 🤣

• LOL 8
  • Love 2