Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

On 4/2/2021 at 1:43 PM, Turquoise said:

I'm late to the party, but Duchess & Thieves. Apparently I should be running a pub instead of this accounting nonsense...

Duchess and the Thieves would be a cool band name. 

On 4/4/2021 at 8:47 AM, Jeeves said:

Good grief. That apron is really sh*t merchandise. Unreadable long word + "hope." 

Let's see. It's pretentious and badly executed. Oh, let me guess whose idea it was. Heh.

I wonder how many they will sell to their loyal fanbase. 

For the love of Christ, use an iron. Or Downy wrinkle spray. Or the homemade wrinkle spray (fabric softener, water & alcohol).  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Is he trying to put sprinkle on the unfrosted cookies as well? It certainly looks like it, which is stupid even for him. And are they trying to fool us into thinking that they actually baked those cookies? The two different types of cookies on the same tray are a dead giveaway because there is no way that they whipped up two different types of cookie dough, not to mention the perfectly round cookies. We’ve seen enough of their baking efforts to know better.

• Useful 1
  • Love 21
1 hour ago, OpieTaylor said:

Where did the “insider” quote at the top come from?

There was a short series of planted stories in The Sun -- UK -- a couple months ago. That's a website -- in this case a U.S. version -- that The Sun started (along with a few others) a couple years ago to garner clicks from more places than their UK base, where their money struggles are gigantic.

They run what looks to be literally thousands of "stories," virtually all things tossed over the transom by the two-bit celebs themselves. There's no way any pub, let alone one as tottery as The Sun, could possibly field reporters who know -- or have time to find out -- stuff about all these people. This story, for example, talks about how the Vs are addressing their alleged marriage issues with regular "date nights." 

So the "insider' is either Jer, their publicist or some buddy that Jer coached in what to say. I vote for it being Jer, though. The story was pretty clearly intended both to shine his star, so to speak, and build up some drama and excitement out of their dull lives and make them look more like celebrities (Yay!) in advance of the book publication and the podcast's rebirth. 

https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/2177556/jinger-duggar-jeremy-vuolo-hire-nanny-exhausted-marriage-issues/

Among other horse hockey in the piece...

The insider said: "Jinger is especially exhausted, and Jeremy took time off work to help care for the children, but they are looking at hiring a nanny to give them some respite....

"Jinger and Jeremy have started dressing up and cooking at home for a special date night after the girls go to bed, it's become a cute day for them to reconnect every few weeks."

Query: If they're doing this primarily because Jinger is exhausted  then -- since Jer cannot and does not cook -- exactly how would this "cooking at home" happen? 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8
On 4/9/2021 at 10:44 AM, laurakaye said:

@Churchhoney...I had to read those reviews a couple of times to decide if they were real or crafted from your imagination.  To be honest, I'm still not entirely sure.... 🙂

Oh, they're real. Can't say I've ever noticed reviews all coming from family and friends -- or ones that said so little about the actual book. They all gave nice affirmations of their faith, though. 😁

• LOL 8
4 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

304B2B4F-3CEC-44FB-89C8-481F4F51397B.jpeg

🤣🤣🤣🙄🙄🙄 work for free for them!!!

A. I wonder if Jer can spell "shameless." 

B. Somebody at the publisher must have really reamed them out last week. 

• LOL 15
6 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

304B2B4F-3CEC-44FB-89C8-481F4F51397B.jpeg

🤣🤣🤣🙄🙄🙄 work for free for them!!!

Oh, this is a big thing in publishing, particularly among YA and romance authors. They used to call them "street teams" (I don't know if they're still called that), basically authors develops groups of enthusiastic fans that they give advanced copies to, and those fans go out and promote the hell out of the books on social media. I wouldn't be surprised if their publisher told Jeremy to do this...it's my understanding that more and more publishers and requiring authors to do more of their own promo to cut costs on the publisher's end.

• Useful 6
  • Love 7
42 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Oh, this is a big thing in publishing, particularly among YA and romance authors. They used to call them "street teams" (I don't know if they're still called that), basically authors develops groups of enthusiastic fans that they give advanced copies to, and those fans go out and promote the hell out of the books on social media. I wouldn't be surprised if their publisher told Jeremy to do this...it's my understanding that more and more publishers and requiring authors to do more of their own promo to cut costs on the publisher's end.

Yeah, you're definitely right that it's common ..... It's likely you can't even get a book deal these days unless you say you're willing and able to do a ton of promotion on your own. 

But it annoys me so much that they have fans for no reason!!!!!  and that Jer comes off so entitled to me in this post and because I'm dead certain that he does believe he's miles above their fans in every way -- So in their case it infuriates me!  His tone when talking about the little people (basically everybody except him, his parents and the MacArthur muckety mucks) drives me crazy.. 

And it drives me crazy that Jer and Jingle have done virtually no book promotion on their own but are then pushing it to their followers as big fun.......Friends of mine who publish books on the regular work their asses off on the publicity. That's so different from what Jer and Jingle have done..(and these are people who work really really hard on their books too -- and their books have substance!).

The Vuolo book's coming out only about three weeks from now and until the last few days they've done nothing!  They've literally posted nothing on their social media that could actually drive interest in the book.....and they're still not posting anything that drives interest -- they're just asking people to donate their labor to Jer and Jingle's cause .... Without offering anyone a damn thing from their alleged store of great wisdom on how to have hope in your life to whet people's appetite to get more of that insight in their book..... That's what you're supposed to do in your book promotion -- you're supposed to offer interesting tidbits of your stories and your advice so people will want more and buy the book in order to get more. You're supposed to be advertising, not just demanding that other people do it for you.

(of course we see how good they are at advertising.... in venture after venture.... They truly do think that if they're photographed near something, everybody should run out to buy the thing...period. )

That earlier post (near the bottom of the previous page here, I think) where Jer says one reason they wrote the book was to give people an inside look into their lives (!!!!!) strikes me as so frigging arrogant and absolutely inappropriate for a book that supposedly features an aspiring pastor and his wife talking about how their particular faith helps them -- and can help others. 

Instead, you can tell that in his mind it's really just a book that allows the little people to get a rare and privileged peek into his (stupid, boring, ridiculously self-involved) "celebrity" world! You're not a celebrity, you boob. 

Doesn't infuriate me at all when somebody who I think actually deserves fans does it. 

I wonder if the fans will find more to talk about in the book than their reviewers have? 😁

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 10
4 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I was just coming here to post this.

This launch team shit will go over like a lead balloon. 🤣

I dunno. Something tells me a bunch of Jingle's humpers will be falling all over themselves to do this. They get to be on a livestream with their beloved! 

And, heck, they only need a few people to do this and make it look like a big success. If 10 people out of her 1.4 million followers (down from 1.6 million at one point -- heh) do it, it'll seem like their book has admirers galore, unfortunately. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Everyone's right that the launch team stuff is pretty standard now for many book releases. It could backfire on them, though, if a lot of the people get the book and are underwhelmed by it. Let's keep an eye on Goodreads and see if reviews from ARCs start to be added. The schemers are supposed to give the book in exchange for an honest review, and I could see some fans even being disappointed by the skimpy or lackluster content. 

• Love 12

I'm very naïve about publishing. I figured once one wrote a book, the publisher takes over and directs everything from that point.

One of y'all should try and get on this launch team. I'm imagining the Zoom discussion now. 😁

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

One other thing I meant to mention is this is very late to be giving out ARCs. I often see reviews from ARCs posted a few months before the slated release. It is well before the proofer even looks at it (which is usually one of the last steps) before the printing process starts, so there will be errors that still need to be cleaned up. But by this point, I would assume the book has already gone to press and is being printed, so if the ARC folks notice glaringly bad errors, it's too late to do anything about it. The small publisher I worked for always got books back about a month after sending them to the publisher. I think one time my boss pitched a shit fit and got a 2-week turnaround, but I am pretty sure the printer hated him for it. But yeah according to that timeline, this horse has already left the gate. 

3 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

You still have to buy the book. Pass.

Whaaaaaaaat? I am laughing so hard I can barely breathe. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 8
30 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm very naïve about publishing. I figured once one wrote a book, the publisher takes over and directs everything from that point.

Not any more That used to be the case. But for well over a decade now, having some online -- and real-world, too, to some extent -- platforms that you regularly use to gain followers and communicate with them -- and provide something of value to them -- has become a prerequisite for getting just about any book deal, fiction or nonfiction. 

The publisher wants to just fill in around the edges. You're supposed to do the day to day lifting. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

You still have to buy the book. Pass.

What?! So they want you to read it, critique it, give them publicity AND spend your money to do so? Omg, they have lost their damn minds.

• LOL 12
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

Are those the store-bought cookies he splurted store-bought frosting on and pretended to bake himself? 

If he baked those cookies, he would have transferred them to a wire rack to cool.  So that pan, while the cookies are on it, would be hot.  Dumbass, do better....

• LOL 8
  • Love 8
45 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

What?! So they want you to read it, critique it, give them publicity AND spend your money to do so? Omg, they have lost their damn minds.

They're big celebrities. And it's a great honor just to be near them, no matter what you must do to achieve this. Why it's an honor just to post on their social media (with no reponse!). Let alone be on a livestream with them! 

This is what drives me crazy. Jer's attitude is so entitled I find it unbelievable (not to mention nauseating). 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 13
18 minutes ago, Zella said:

One other thing I meant to mention is this is very late to be giving out ARCs. I often see reviews from ARCs posted a few months before the slated release. It is well before the proofer even looks at it (which is usually one of the last steps) before the printing process starts, so there will be errors that still need to be cleaned up. But by this point, I would assume the book has already gone to press and is being printed, so if the ARC folks notice glaringly bad errors, it's too late to do anything about it. The small publisher I worked for always got books back about a month after sending them to the publisher. I think one time my boss pitched a shit fit and got a 2-week turnaround, but I am pretty sure the printer hated him for it. But yeah according to that timeline, this horse has already left the gate. 

Exactly. Everything they're doing is so not timely it isn't in the least funny. 

And there's no way in hell this experienced publisher didn't let them know beforehand exactly what needed to be done when. 

I'm convinced Jer just said to himself at some point "Well, we've probably got all the money we're going to get from the book, via the advance, so I'm just going to forget all this other stuff."  And he figured (to the extent he ever does that) that since he was okay with that, the publisher wouldn't care either. He's idiotically self-absorbed enough to actually believe that. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
17 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

What balls they have.  Hardest pass ever.

• Love 13
6 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Exactly. Everything they're doing is so not timely it isn't in the least funny. 

And there's no way in hell this experienced publisher didn't let them know beforehand exactly what needed to be done when. 

I'm convinced Jer just said to himself at some point "Well, we've probably got all the money we're going to get from the book, via the advance, so I'm just going to forget all this other stuff." 

I am wondering why the publisher wasn't on their asses more to begin with? Dealing with authors can, admittedly, be a little like herding cats, but how much has the process broken down if you're this far into the process and only now are they actually doing marketing? Did they just ignore reminders and timelines? Did the publisher just get sick of dealing with them and ignored being more forceful about it? In publishing, you live and die by deadlines. I just don't understand it. 

I do suspect that Jeremy has been in for a rude awakening in that I am sure he meant getting a book deal was an affirmation of his specialness, and he may have been put on notice that, no, his book deal was an affirmation of what they thought was their ability to sell books with his wife's image and name plastered on the cover, and they need to follow through with the bare minimum.

I would be shocked if they ever do another book with how badly they've bungled this. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 12

I am looking forward to Jinger’s cookbook full of her own gourmet recipes! That’s going to be their next book! 

the title will be

Hope you know your way around the buffet section of Whole Foods because I don’t actually cook anything! 

• LOL 17
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, Zella said:

I am wondering why the publisher wasn't on their asses more to begin with? Dealing with authors can, admittedly, be a little like herding cats, but how much has the process broken down if you're this far into the process and only now are they actually doing marketing? Did they just ignore reminders and timelines? Did the publisher just get sick of dealing with it? I just don't understand it. 

Yeah, it's hard for me to imagine that the publisher wasn't sending them reminders about what to do...... But I can picture Jer getting those and ignoring them....figuring he'll get to them later or figuring that he does enough promotion just by existing and posting pictures of his snacks and pens. 

I also wonder whether the publisher didn't modify their goals a bit as soon as they saw what thin gruel the book actually was and how boring and stupid these two -- and their story -- are ....

Maybe they figure that with the 1.4 million followers and the fact that a decade plus of tv exposure has been there until quite recently, they'll pull in enough sales from Jingle's fan base to recoup costs plus a wee bit more...so they're just ready to move on....Thinking that maybe in the long run they're better off not putting much more money into -- or attention on -- a book -- and a couple -- that don't have much of value to offer? It's not like this book will do anything positive for their reputation as a publishing house, I'd imagine. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, QuinnInND said:

Jeremy took time off work... What work? 🤣

It takes a lot of time to pose for pictures of free food and pricy sneakers. And writing in his journal... sipping $10 coffee. 

Edited by iwantcookies
  • LOL 8

Apparently, the leghumpers are more gullible than we thought (or the publisher has a deal with Amazon) because when I go to the listing for their book this is its ranking

Best Sellers Rank: #231 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)

#1 in TV Shows

#1 in Television Performer Biographies

#4 in Christian Inspirational

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Apparently, the leghumpers are more gullible than we thought (or the publisher has a deal with Amazon) because when I go to the listing for their book this is its ranking

Best Sellers Rank: #231 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)

#1 in TV Shows

#1 in Television Performer Biographies

#4 in Christian Inspirational

That's kind of what I was expecting., actually. People who got attached to Jingle as a young girl are just all going to buy it. They all rushed over as soon as they got Jer's messages. 

Everybody in this category probably still follows her (and his) social media, so they're informed about what's happening and they buy. 

Most will probably love the book, too, because Jingle wrote it (ha) and is in it. Some will probably even love it because her wonderful husband Jer (he must be wonderful because beloved Jingle chose him!) is in it! 

That's a big enough fanbase to sell books -- since books don't sell. The book won't sell beyond that group. But it doesn't matter because there are enough of them.  (Only 1 percent of Jingle's instagram followers need to buy the book to sell 14,000 copies. That's actually a solid sale.....and I'd expect somewhat more than 1 percent of her followers to be longtime fans.....) 

(The publisher may have hoped for a bit more, though. I'm sure Jer sold them on his high value as a media influencer for people under 40 the same way he sold MacArthur on it. I mean, the phrase "breakout stars" is everywhere in the book promotions -- and that phrase never actually existed anywhere before other than in Jer's arrogant, deluded head.) 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

There was a short series of planted stories in The Sun -- UK -- a couple months ago. That's a website -- in this case a U.S. version -- that The Sun started (along with a few others) a couple years ago to garner clicks from more places than their UK base, where their money struggles are gigantic.

They run what looks to be literally thousands of "stories," virtually all things tossed over the transom by the two-bit celebs themselves. There's no way any pub, let alone one as tottery as The Sun, could possibly field reporters who know -- or have time to find out -- stuff about all these people. This story, for example, talks about how the Vs are addressing their alleged marriage issues with regular "date nights." 

And for the record, the Sun is such a lousy publication, it is mostly given away free at the till these days, because it is such rubbish they can't even sell it anymore. All their money comes from advertising, and all the advertisers care about are eyes on the page. The actual words on the page are meaningless to anyone at that publication. And the website, of course, just wants clicks, no matter what it takes to lure them in.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Imagine being desperate enough to create divorce rumors about your marriage in order to sell book. I’m sure they’ll be closer than ever as soon as you spend money on it.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

Everytime she says "many of you asked to hear more," I assume what she really means is "Jeremy asked me to do this multiple times." 

Nah, the company is running another special. She's got the script written all over her story. But she actually said "volumous." I'm at a loss how to spell it, so I went phonetically. 🤣

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

"Volumous?" Honey, that's not a word. 🤣

I like it, though. Sounds like an especially bloodthirsty emperor from I, Claudius or a Hogwarts Dark Arts professor. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 18
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I like it, though. Sounds like an especially bloodthirsty emperor from I, Claudius or a Hogwarts Dark Arts professor. 

Livia and Caligula ain't got shit on Volumous! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• LOL 15
2 hours ago, Zella said:

Whaaaaaaaat? I am laughing so hard I can barely breathe. 

Yep, all you have to sign up for the Launch Team and THEN pre order the book.  You'll get an advance digital copy and can participate in an exclusive livestream event for team members only.  As a reward for your support, you might win a prize, maybe even FREE COFFEE!  How can they go wrong with this kind of promotional juggernaut?

• LOL 20
3 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

So the "insider' is either Jer, their publicist or some buddy that Jer coached in what to say. I vote for it being Jer, though. The story was pretty clearly intended both to shine his star, so to speak, and build up some drama and excitement out of their dull lives and make them look more like celebrities (Yay!) in advance of the book publication and the podcast's rebirth. 

https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/2177556/jinger-duggar-jeremy-vuolo-hire-nanny-exhausted-marriage-issues/

Among other horse hockey in the piece...

The insider said: "Jinger is especially exhausted, and Jeremy took time off work to help care for the children, but they are looking at hiring a nanny to give them some respite....

"Jinger and Jeremy have started dressing up and cooking at home for a special date night after the girls go to bed, it's become a cute day for them to reconnect every few weeks."

Query: If they're doing this primarily because Jinger is exhausted  then -- since Jer cannot and does not cook -- exactly how would this "cooking at home" happen? 

***BARF** not you, them

• LOL 9