Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, Spazamanaz said:

Who determines the price of a book? The author, the publisher or someone else? 

When I worked for a little rinky-dinky publisher, they were the ones who determined the prices. The author had no say in it, and I would think that would be even more true for a larger publisher. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Couldn't they make more money self-publishing on Amazon? I would think that all of their leg-humpers and many of their hate followers would be willing to pay $2.99 to $3.99 for an e-book. 

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Nysha said:

Couldn't they make more money self-publishing on Amazon? I would think that all of their leg-humpers and many of their hate followers would be willing to pay $2.99 to $3.99 for an e-book. 

That would require work. Plus, a big part of this is to show that the story is interesting and a serious publishing house sought out these two Godly Americans to write a book!

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

The "reviews" (in the section usually labeled "Editorial Reviews") at Amazon suggest to me that there's a certain, um, vagueness to the book ... 😁

“This hard-to-put-down memoir is a personal invitation from Jinger and Jeremy to meet the hope we all need.” (What? "To meet the hope?" I know he means "Jesus," but.....strange verb choice there, buddy.)
 ―Tony Reinke, author of 12 Ways Your Phone Is Changing You

“Hope is life's most valuable asset and it's found only in one place. In this book, Jeremy and Jinger guide you straight to the source. Don't just read this book—use it as a lamp to guide your feet, your family, and your faith to the wellspring of life.”
 ―Dale and Veronica Partridge, Founders or Relearn.org and UltimateMarriage.com     ("Ultimate Marriage website: "For her, it means she chooses to follow me—in battle or beauty, while safe or risky, in clarity or uncertainty. It means she does not turn to any other man for spiritual direction. It means she respects me and protects my reputation in all moments of life.....................To the world, it may look old-fashioned or outdated or even oppressive, but.....You cannot renovate God’s blueprint for marriage."     Just in case we forget that Jer is not an enlightened modern man who's different from JB and the other Duggar males. 

“This book takes the reader through the journey of their life together. Through pages of glory and suffering, we see the word “hope” sketched out in a magnificent portrait that illustrates what it is to truly be rooted and grounded in the very fountain of hope, The Lord Jesus Christ. May He bless this book and all who read.”
 ―Cade Foehner & Gabby Barrett, Country Music stars (Jer's crush and his wife...) 

“Jeremy and Jinger continue to leverage every ounce of their notoriety (????) to point us all towards true and lasting hope. We could not be more thankful for them. The book you hold in your hands contains the hope that they hold. That hope can be yours. Let them show you the way.” 
 ―Costi & Christyne Hinn, authors of More Than a Healer  (Benny Hinn's nephew, who opposes Benny's form of prosperity gospel but lurrrves the more stealth variety espoused by Jer and Jonny Mac,)

"We laughed and cried reading this book! It was wonderful to reminisce about the journey God has brought these two on, and to see their hope in Christ highlighted through the highs and lows. Much to our surprise, we even learned some new things about them both! We think you’ll enjoy this inside look as much as we have."―Jessa and Ben Seewald   (Wait....they're not STARS? Jessa has 800,000 more followers than Jinger....Surely that makes her a star of some variety...)

Glory and suffering????

• LOL 9
(edited)

I think the book will be mainly about

Jeremy droning on about being a soccer star, best HUSBAND ever, being best preacher EVER and how much he loves his meek little wife.

He will include his journal entries for half a book detailing what he ate/drank for free that day.

how God brought Jinger (her million followers and $ from TLC) into his life. 

Pray to God and he will lead you. Blah blah blah.

Boriiing yawn.

Edited by iwantcookies
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Wouldn't surprise me if she bought 20. 

That’s what she will give to all Duggars who are moms for Mother’s Day. Or xmas 🤣🤣🤣.

Mrs. Jason Duggar has a ring to it 🤣🤣🤣. She can be a real mom to him. 

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, Spazamanaz said:

Publishers set prices.  They also get to decide when to lower the price on an ebook.  It's a common occurrence now for an ebook going on sale 3 to 4 weeks after publication in order to game the Amazon algorithm.  When you browse a topic on Amazon they default to showing you the most popular books in any given genre.  Popular meaning the most sold books on their platform that day.  Once a book falls off the first page of results, sales go down.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, cmr2014 said:

That would require work. Plus, a big part of this is to show that the story is interesting and a serious publishing house sought out these two Godly Americans to write a book!

I also see Jeremy as one of those people who would think self publishing was beneath him. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
52 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Looking semi awake!

E12C2CDE-CF05-4F2A-993A-159D8113C6B8.jpeg

For the most part, I find these two super-boring and don't really like to post here but, this picture is disgraceful. Someone is publishing their book -- a serious business venture -- and THIS is their promotional video? It's not even snark to say that they look like they just rolled out of bed, because they look exactly like they just rolled out of bed.

A casual look with a clean white t-shirt and a pair of jeans for Jeremy and a tie-dyed t-shirt and whatever Jinger is wearing would have been fine. You can't make me believe that Jeremy's shirt is clean, though, and the only other option to having just woken up is that he just came back from work -- and ha ha ha ha ha.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
58 minutes ago, skatelady said:

The suffering will be about Jeremy (the burnt avocado toast, the coffee accidentally sweetened with splenda instead of stevia, the time he got a smudge on his sneakers...) and also the glory will be about Jeremy (his shoes, his pens, his jackets, his posed camera smiles...)

(And I'll just stop you right here: that says PENS, not PENIS!)

Ha!  I read it as penis, too!  

48 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Ha I read penis 🤣🤣🤣

Great minds!  🤣

• LOL 3
21 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

For the most part, I find these two super-boring and don't really like to post here but, this picture is disgraceful. Someone is publishing their book -- a serious business venture -- and THIS is their promotional video? It's not even snark to say that they look like they just rolled out of bed, because they look exactly like they just rolled out of bed.

A casual look with a clean white t-shirt and a pair of jeans for Jeremy and a tie-dyed t-shirt and whatever Jinger is wearing would have been fine. You can't make me believe that Jeremy's shirt is clean, though, and the only other option to having just woken up is that he just came back from work -- and ha ha ha ha ha.

They posted this morning, California time. 

• Useful 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, Spazamanaz said:

Publisher. They're the ones who have costs to recoup and who presumably know how the market works for certain kinds of books....

2 hours ago, Nysha said:

I expect Jer preferred the prestige of a big publisher.

Plus, maybe, even arrogant as he is, he knew they'd actually need an editor and some level of ghostwriting assistance, not to mention somebody to lay the thing out, design a cover  -- and then they would have had to pay those people, so "poof' go the profits! 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7
42 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

They posted this morning, California time. 

It was pretty late in the morning, though, wasn't it? I feel like it was pushing 3 pm my time, which is a couple of hours ahead. I kept checking their social media through the morning and asking, "What, are you two on fucking Duggar time?" before I'd remind myself they were a couple of hours behind. But even then, it was late enough in the morning that they had some time to not look like they'd just rolled out of bed. 

• Love 6
(edited)
54 minutes ago, Zella said:

It was pretty late in the morning, though, wasn't it? I feel like it was pushing 3 pm my time, which is a couple of hours ahead. I kept checking their social media through the morning and asking, "What, are you two on fucking Duggar time?" before I'd remind myself they were a couple of hours behind. But even then, it was late enough in the morning that they had some time to not look like they'd just rolled out of bed. 

Jinger had only listed a few minutes before I found it and posted here. It could have been early afternoon? IG has been down most of the day, so I can't check. 

eta I posted around 1pm CA time. What were they doing all morning? Did Jer cut school to post...THAT? 😂

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
36 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Jinger had only listed a few minutes before I found it and posted here. It could have been early afternoon? IG has been down most of the day, so I can't check. 

eta I posted around 1pm CA time. What were they doing all morning? Did Jer cur school to post...THAT? 😂

Yeah okay I was thinking early afternoon. These two are the type that hit rock bottom and start to dig. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Zella said:

Yeah okay I was thinking early afternoon. These two are the type that hit rock bottom and start to dig. 

I can't believe they thought that pic was the one to launch their pre-orders. Jer didn't need to don a suit, but something more than a tee would have been more on brand for them.

It's like they're not even trying.

• Love 14
16 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I can't believe they thought that pic was the one to launch their pre-orders. Jer didn't need to don a suit, but something more than a tee would have been more on brand for them.

Especially since he fancies himself as a fashionista! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
34 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Exactly. They'd been yammering about the "big announcement" for days, and then when the day comes, they literally roll out of bed and film some half-assed, off the cuff video. Jeremy puts more effort into his posts about cheeseburgers than they did into this. If I was their publisher, I'd be pissed.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Publisher. They're the ones who have costs to recoup and who presumably know how the market works for certain kinds of books....

I expect Jer preferred the prestige of a big publisher.

Plus, maybe, even arrogant as he is, he knew they'd actually need an editor and some level of ghostwriting assistance, not to mention somebody to lay the thing out, design a cover  -- and then they would have had to pay those people, so "poof' go the profits! 

All of this--if you're going to have any chance at success going self-pub, you have to put in the money upfront. Getting a big publisher means they get an advance and possibility of royalties, though I'll be shocked if they earn out their advance.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I'd love to know what kind of advance they got...and how much Jer has wasted on books, pens, and pocket squares. 🙄

Whatever they got it’s all gone. These 2 don’t look like they save $.

• Love 9
(edited)
9 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I'd love to know what kind of advance they got...and how much Jer has wasted on books, pens, and pocket squares. 🙄

I'm curious about the advance. To me, they're a weird combination of "celebrity" -- highest-advance people -- and "first-time author" -- lowest-by-far advances.  

But I'm guessing Jer used his Astonishing Suck-up Skills (ASS)  to convince them that his their Jingle's social-media following and long-time TeeVee fame put them firmly in the minor-celeb category, with no first-time-author risk at all. And that their social-media savvy (ha) would guarantee a great run-up to publication. (Seriously. I'd be shocked if he didn't tell them this -- many months before he totally failed to actually do anything about it....Because that's how he rolls.)  

My guess would be they got a mid-five-figure advance. Which he's now spent all of on shoes, expensive take-out food and a couple of those plug-ugly suits he's turned up with over the past year. (A book advance is self-employment income -- so their accountant would have had them pay their estimated taxes from it, too, which of course include state and federal income tax plus self-employment taxes (Soc Sec and Medicare)...Unless their accountant's as dumb as their publicists, which, let's hope not.)

I still think they'll make a reasonable number of sales. despite their abysmal behavior when it comes to promotion. People buy books by people they love, and a lot of women still love Jingle, I'll bet. The advance is very likely to be all they ever make on the book, though. That's true for most people.

Maybe Jer forgot all about promoting the book partly because, in the back of his tiny mind, he remembered that their accountant told him they've likely already seen all the cash they'll ever get from it...so why bother? 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 10

When it goes to .99 on Kindle I would probably buy it out of curiosity - OK $1.99 if I've gotten a gift card from one of vendors we use who sends $10 gift cards occasionally.   I would never buy a physical copy of the book (and I usually prefer physical copies of books) because I don't want to add anything else to the landfills.  So many people on their Instagram post have already pre-ordered the book, but after the leghumpers buy their copies, who else is going to be willing to pay full price?      

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

I wonder if they are planning a book signing tour?

No bookstore is doing in-person events yet.  It's all virtual.  Authors are still signing books, but they do it through a chosen bookstore and preorders.  Then the author has to sign all the books at home or sign bookplates that the bookstore then attaches to the books.  

According to their website, they are doing a virtual launch party with their publisher.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

Well we know the book probably doesn't say much about the Duggars other than what we already know, because it got a resounding endorsement by Jessa. I think if it had revealed anything,  she wouldn't.

• Love 16
5 minutes ago, beckie said:

Well we know the book probably doesn't say much about the Duggars other than what we already know, because it got a resounding endorsement by Jessa. I think if it had revealed anything,  she wouldn't.

If she’s read it.

• LOL 16
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, beckie said:

9 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

If she’s read it.

I assume Jessa's endorsing the book based on trusting Jinger not to say anything inconsistent with the Duggar party line, whether it's on the subject of religion, family dynamics, or whatever. It's probably a safe bet. I can't see Jinger wanting to reveal anything unflattering about her family, and I doubt Jeremy wants to sever ties with the TLC show. Breakout Star™ or not, I doubt that Boob would allow him to appear in any scenes ever again if he takes offense at something in the book.

OTOH wouldn't it be a hoot if they do let something drop? Heh.

• Love 13

I was curious and looked up the dimensions of the book.  Amazon has them listed as 6.3X 1.2X 9.25 which is one of the smallest sizes for hardcover.  And I misspoke yesterday, it's 224 pages not 200.  At those measurments it appears the book is barely reaching 50,000 words.  In fiction, that's the cutoff for a novel vs. a novella.

• Useful 11
  • Love 4
(edited)

@Churchhoney...I had to read those reviews a couple of times to decide if they were real or crafted from your imagination.  To be honest, I'm still not entirely sure.... 🙂

5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

They wrote a 200 page book. Shit, we could compile our posts from this thread and likely come up with more than 200 pages and it would definitely be a more interesting read. Sadly, I think many posters' hope was long gone after the second chapter.

• Chapter One: Who is Jeremy
  • Chapter Two: Jinger: City, Solo and Pants
  • Chapter Three: The Vuolos Have a Baby
  • Chapter Four: Jeremy: Preacher or Poser
  • Chapter Five: Show us the Income

I'm sure you all have some more ideas for the remaining chapters.

• Chapter One: Jeremy's Humble Beginnings/Potential Teen Modeling Career & Shattered Dreams
  • Chapter Two: Jeremy's Rocket-Ride to European Soccer Stardom/Jeremy's Exquisitely Painful Fall From Grace
  • Chapter Three: Jeremy Meets the Breakout Star of TLC's "19 Kids and Counting," Jill Jessa Jinger/Marriage and Baby Babies
  • Chapter Four: Jeremy's Influence/Jeremy's Fave Places for Takeout/What's in Jeremy's Library?
  • Chapter Five: Jeremy's Thoughts on Becoming a World-Renown Pastor and the Worldly Temptations Therein
  • Epilogue: Jeremy: Where Do I Go From Here?  (insert final paragraph by Jinger here - note to publisher: please spell-check this a minimum of four times.  Thanks, Jer.)

1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

I wonder if they are planning a book signing tour?

A maskless, photo-op book signing tour in the midst of a pandemic?  Why ever not?

I will gleefully read this dreck if I can either buy it for a dollar at Dollar Tree or get it free from the library.

Edited by laurakaye
  • LOL 18
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

@Churchhoney...I had to read those reviews a couple of times to decide if they were real or crafted from your imagination.  To be honest, I'm still not entirely sure.... 🙂

• Chapter One: Jeremy's Humble Beginnings/Potential Teen Modeling Career & Shattered Dreams
  • Chapter Two: Jeremy's Rocket-Ride to European Soccer Stardom/Jeremy's Exquisitely Painful Fall From Grace
  • Chapter Three: Jeremy Meets the Breakout Star of TLC's "19 Kids and Counting," Jill Jessa Jinger/Marriage and Baby Babies
  • Chapter Four: Jeremy's Influence/Jeremy's Fave Places for Takeout/What's in Jeremy's Library?
  • Chapter Five: Jeremy's Thoughts on Becoming a World-Renown Pastor and the Worldly Temptations Therein
  • Epilogue: Jeremy: Where Do I Go From Here?  (insert final paragraph by Jinger here - note to publisher: please spell-check this a minimum of four times.  Thanks, Jer.)

I think a chapter should be titled The Day Jeremy Learned 'Meek" Jinger Had 1.4 million Followers

• LOL 21
  • Love 2
(edited)

FWIW, I checked Publishers Marketplace a few weeks ago, and there was no record of the sale, so I don't think a literary agent handled it. That would lead me to believe the advance on it was not sizeable. My guess is the publisher approached them directly or it is the result of networking. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 10
14 minutes ago, Zella said:

FWIW, I checked Publishers Marketplace a few weeks ago, and there was no record of the sale, so I don't think a literary agent handled it. That would lead me to believe the advance on it was not sizeable. My guess is the publisher approached them directly or it is the result of networking. 

I was wondering about that.  I don't have access to PM and was curious.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I was wondering about that.  I don't have access to PM and was curious.

I finally paid for a subscription earlier this year for my freelance work, so I am still new to it. That thing ain't cheap, and I keep debating whether or not I should cancel it, but the info is pretty interesting. There is such a wide range of deals documented on there and agents listed, that I do feel pretty comfortable in concluding they didn't have one for no listing whatsoever to be on there. You can even search by author/celebrity to see their literary agent, and that didn't yield anything either. I feel like if they were truly breakout stars, that wouldn't be the case. 

• Useful 8
20 minutes ago, Zella said:

I finally paid for a subscription earlier this year for my freelance work, so I am still new to it. That thing ain't cheap, and I keep debating whether or not I should cancel it, but the info is pretty interesting. There is such a wide range of deals documented on there and agents listed, that I do feel pretty comfortable in concluding they didn't have one for no listing whatsoever to be on there. You can even search by author/celebrity to see their literary agent, and that didn't yield anything either. I feel like if they were truly breakout stars, that wouldn't be the case. 

I'm really not surprised to find out the Vuolos don't have an agent.  I imagine the publisher contacted them about the possibility of a book, and things went from there.  That way they can lowball them on the actual deal.  Given the minimal marketing for the book so far, I assume the advance was paltry borderline nonexistent.  One thing I know about publishing, the higher the advance, the more marketing the publisher does.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 3

I think this is just another thing that J&J thought they could throw together with minimal effort and it would just naturally be successful because they are awesome and blessed. Same with their podcast, store and influencer gigs. They are going to be in for a surprise when the show goes off the air and their built in fan base moves on to someone else. Perhaps they should look to Chet Hanks (son of Tom) as an object lesson - born on third base, but a punchline due to being an untalented dick who thinks far more of himself than he should. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 7