Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E07: Hawaiian Vacation Erupts

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, 4leafclover said:

http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/kody-brown-sister-wives-5th-wife-catfishing-scandal-marry-robyn-nanny-step-niece/

Don't know how reliable this is or if anyone posted it yet but it's pretty interesting.

I wonder if Radaronline knows who they're talking about.  "Pretty blond" with a hot young body doesn't sound like Mindy.  I'm not meaning to criticize her appearance, it just doesn't sound like a description of her.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Don't worry Meri, if I had to run over one of the children with a surfboard, I'd pick Mariah, too.

I'm sure I'm the only one, but I think I could watch an entire episode of Meri and Janelle working on their relationship.  I think it's genuine, and I'm unnaturally invested in the outcome.  I was laughing right along with them, and they actually got sourpuss Mariah to crack a smile.

LOL...me too. The "relationship working" AND picking Mariah to surf over. 

As for Mykelti, I also have the impression that she likes to be the center of attention, and that she wants a little of the spotlight that Maddie is getting since announcing her engagement.  Case in point, the day that they were introduced to Arieola shortly after her birth, Mykelti made sure to stand up and loudly proclaim "She looks like MEEEEE," more than once. Honey, there's a newborn sleeping. Low voice, please. But no. She wanted everyone (including the cameras) to know. She's definitely not as mature as Madison. Maybe that's also genetic. They both have an immature douche as a father, but their mother's personalities couldn't be more different. Janelle being serious, almost to a fault, while Christine is more flighty and maybe less mature. Aspyn seems more mature, but she was stuck in a parental role, helping her mother with a small brood while her father was servicing the other wives. Mykelti, being second born, wasn't hit with the responsibilities Aspyn was. She didn't mature quickly, like her sister had to. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I saw Kody's little douchemobile today on the way home from work.  It was his little cabriolet.  It had a ding in the back.  Unless Kody cut his hair really short, one of his boys was driving.

3 hours ago, toodles said:

Edited by toodles
  • Love 5
41 minutes ago, toodles said:

I saw Kody's little douchemobile today on the way home from work.  It was his little cabriolet.  It had a ding in the back.  Unless Kody cut his really short, one of his boys was drivings.

Isn't that the car he gave to Logan?

Somebody asked previously about Logan and sports...Logan wrestled and had Kody's attention for that.  I think he was good but maybe not as good a wrestler as Hunter, who won the state title.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Isn' the whole purpose of their lifestyle for the man to take on more wives, so he can continue to procreate?  Although I am not exactly sure what "religion" they are following.  None of the wives should be upset or mad, they should have know going in there would or could be many more wives.  I always think of the show Big Love, in that they followed "the principle".  Also the wives got to know any new potential wives and they voted on whether they wanted her to join the family.  Majority ruled.

• Love 3

The disturbing thing about King Kody is the irrational outbursts and/or pout sessions, followed by the PC patter: "ohh, this may be the last time we are all together as a family; I need to savor these sweet moments," etc yet he can barely contain himself from harping on Christine over the umbrella, for example. It's like he's a time bomb waiting to go off. And the wives are like, "ooh, Kody's TIRREED." (tee hee!)

Just a few random observations:

-Janelle without makeup seems almost featureless;

-some of those kids (I noted mostly the pre-teen/teenaged boys) look a little "off" somehow;

-Robyn's delivery (esp at couch time) has degraded to bland and emotionless

-the "Kody is our LEADER, not our dictator."  And his comment about not wanting to always be in charge.  Yes, he does... but he's not.

• Love 7

That was the most pathetic trip to Hawaii I've ever seen. Even the Brady Bunch did it better. That was also a piss poor luau. I figured they'd go to the beach and do the tourist version which would have been more engaging. 

The eyebrow thing was the best part of the show and it was nice to see Meri and Janelle having fun and no one called it a project. 

Kody is a big baby. Really?  Piss off?  And please why would Maddie want him to officiate?  He loves to steal the scene and it should be the couple's day. He's going to ruin it. At least for me!  I guess with him officiating it will be on TLC 

The whole kosher thing is ridiculous in their case. Do they eat dairy and meat together?  Um yeah. And do they have separate plates? Um, no. Do they try to keep a kosher kitchen?  Again, no and do they eat shellfish?  I have no idea. 

Not sure if Mykelti's rush to get married  is her wanting attention. Do we know anything about Tony?  

Not much Robyn so that was a nice break. 

• Love 10

Argh! He just said he was taking Meri out to the woodshed. And Meri says, "Gwendolyn says I'm in trouble." Har har. 

Yer paintings were cool. Neat. Everyone thinks so. Really neat. Wanted to tell you in private in front of a zillion viewers. 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Mykelti is 1 year younger than Maddie, and already has two additional years of college under her belt than Maddie does. Now, some of it may not count towards whatever degree she ends up taking....  

I don't think this is true.  Besides, she dropped out of school.

As for the kosher thing, when Janelle was explaining why Kody decided to not eat pork, she prefaced the story by saying that when thinking about how to raise the kids, it was important to him to observe traditions from the Bible and to bring this tradition into their family life.  Only then she segued into admitting that it's only something Kody does.  And of course we saw that no one else follows this edict.  It's just so screwy.  And reveals Kody to be such a lackadaisical and ineffective father.  If your religion or your traditions are important to you, then you raise your family accordingly.  But Kody doesn't.  He has no principles.  He only pulls out one from his religion to justify his multiple wives.  How convenient.  

• Love 2

"That was also a piss poor luau. I figured they'd go to the beach and do the tourist version which would have been more engaging."

("Quote" function doesn't like me today.)

I'd be willing to bet that when TLC saw how LITTLE was happening in spite of all the money it cost to send this crew to Hawaii, they were unwilling to foot the bill for 28 people to go to a nice tourist luau.  One that I checked out would have been about $2500 plus tips for the Brown mob.  If TLC wasn't paying, and the luau wouldn't comp them (why would they?), they weren't going to spend that kind of money on their own.  (Credit cards are probably close to maxed out again.)  So TLC probably gave the retreat owners some money to put together something reasonably priced.

• Love 5

Not to harp on it it but now that I've seen the episode the kosher thing was wildly inappropriate. It was disrespectful to people who keep kosher. I'm a Seventh Day Adventist and we keep many of the same dietary restrictions but we do not call it kosher. 

That was the saddest looking Hawaiian vacation I've ever seen. It looked so unorganized and low rent. I'm hoping the adult kids had fun off camera since it was a complete snooze fest and Kody meltdown on camera. Grow up, you tool. 

• Love 12

Lotusflower -

MyKelti graduated high school with two years of college under her belt (a dual program at a high school on a college campus) and went to UNLV for a year after that.  Maddie went to school in Utah for a year, then moved to Montana last August around the same time MyKelti moved to St. George.  They graduated the same year from high school

year 1 - Logan

year 2 - Mariah and Aspen

year 3 - Maddie and MyKelti

year 4 - Hunter

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

Lotusflower -

MyKelti graduated high school with two years of college under her belt (a dual program at a high school on a college campus) and went to UNLV for a year after that.  Maddie went to school in Utah for a year, then moved to Montana last August around the same time MyKelti moved to St. George.  They graduated the same year from high school

year 1 - Logan

year 2 - Mariah and Aspen

year 3 - Maddie and MyKelti

year 4 - Hunter

Yes, I seem to remember her talking about that.  Was it a fashion program, maybe?  I just think it's misleading to say she has three years of college under her belt (i.e. in a way that's equivalent to three years at UNLV or a similar university).  Maybe the dual program gave her college credit, or maybe a certificate or something.  But again, that's different than working three years towards a B.A. or B.S.  Plus, she dropped out and is getting married.  That's not a good sign (if getting a degree is the goal).  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, toodles said:

I saw Kody's little douchemobile today on the way home from work.  It was his little cabriolet.  It had a ding in the back.  Unless Kody cut his hair really short, one of his boys was drivings.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

Isn't that the car he gave to Logan?

Somebody asked previously about Logan and sports...Logan wrestled and had Kody's attention for that.  I think he was good but maybe not as good a wrestler as Hunter, who won the state title.

I think so.  I didn't remember he gave Logan a car.  

I just think it's misleading to say she has three years of college under her belt (i.e. in a way that's equivalent to three years at UNLV or a similar university).  Maybe the dual program gave her college credit, or maybe a certificate or something.

That is true.  In a been there done that way with some of my kids, they generally don't take every course junior and senior year of high school at the college level.  It could be as little as one class or usually it's two to four classes per year.  I doubt she came out with the equivalent of two full years at UNLV. 

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, Absolom said:

That is true.  In a been there done that way with some of my kids, they generally don't take every course junior and senior year of high school at the college level.  It could be as little as one class or usually it's two to four classes per year.  I doubt she came out with the equivalent of two full years at UNLV. 

I agree. When I was in high school, I was in something similar where my calculus class was considered a college course and it in no way equated to a year of college, even though I took it for a year. All it did was knock off the one semester math requirement for my undergrad courses when I finally went to college.

Logan got the Lexus. 

The cabriolet is the LIV "company" car. 

One of the 2 or 3 Gosselin eps I've seen was the Hawaiian trip they did. Some vow renewal or something. From what you guys are telling me this was very low rent in comparison. 

Shit - now you're making me want to see this shitstorm!

23 minutes ago, Zanne said:

I agree. When I was in high school, I was in something similar where my calculus class was considered a college course and it in no way equated to a year of college, even though I took it for a year. All it did was knock off the one semester math requirement for my undergrad courses when I finally went to college.

You know, I always wondered how that worked because for one thing, Mykelti never struck me as the type that is driven to excel in school - she seemed a tad too much like her dear ol Dad.

additionally I remember reading/hearing something along the lines that the actual reason she was doing the college courses was because of trouble in high school i.e. getting in some sort of trouble...I could be recalling that incorrectly.

but IMO her choice of fiancé doesn't exactly reflect well on her. He just seems...lazy and sloppy.

• Love 1

I thought I heard her say a few episodes back that college was very hard and she needed to mature before she tried it again. That doesn't sound like someone who was driven to be taking a lot of college classes as a junior in high school.

• Love 1

Kody's pointless rant about there being "too many people" on the island during the parking escapade was really rich, coming from the guy who just increased the population of the island significantly just by being there with his family.

• Love 16
8 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Logan got the Lexus. 

The cabriolet is the LIV "company" car. 

One of the 2 or 3 Gosselin eps I've seen was the Hawaiian trip they did. Some vow renewal or something. From what you guys are telling me this was very low rent in comparison. 

Shit - now you're making me want to see this shitstorm!

Drink plenty of coffee first.  Or the beverage of your choice.  Unless you want to watch people parking cars or a grown man whining while playing with legos, I would skip it.

And the car was the liv car.  The plates told me so.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, gardendiva said:

Kody's pointless rant about there being "too many people" on the island during the parking escapade was really rich, coming from the guy who just increased the population of the island significantly just by being there with his family.

He sounded a little unhinged, didn't he? It was embarrassing to watch. I thought his "King of the Family" proclamation* might possibly have been slightly tongue-in-cheek since he was laughing a bit, or pretending to, and the family were basically rolling their eyes. But the parking lot and luau rants were CRA-ZEE. 

* Isn't it a little late to lay this on the family, anyway? Either he is, and there is no need to remind them. Or it's NEW RULZ! 25 years into this grand endeavor, as he notices the kids thumbing their noses one-by-one and moving on. 

I would love to know if he has ever tried to convince the kids to stick with polygamy Kody-style and whatever his other so-called tenets may be, since allegedly this is the only way to Heaven. He seems fairly blasé about his kids hurtling toward eternal damnation by breaking away. So do the moms. What mental gymnastics the parents must employ. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

"Piss-Poor Luau" is my new band name. 

Perhaps you could open up for Van Lady Love.

Hawaii, did you hear that?  The next time Kody Brown visits your fine state with his brood, please do what you must to decrease the tourist population so that Mr. Brown can successfully park his 14 rental vehicles facing outward without throwing an epic hissy fit.

Seriously, did Kody even want to go on this trip?  He was behaving like a gigantic spoiled brat the entire time.  I mean, it's not like he really had to do anything to prepare or pack other than flit around the cul-de-sac, going from house to house looking for his best faded denim dress shirt.

• Love 3

Right??? Most people only take one car, not four, to the coffee shop. So I'm sure they have no trouble parking. He should know when bringing several dozen people to an island that there are going to be logistic problems and just roll with it. Instead he acts like this is just one more way the world is persecuting polygamists. 

4 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I long for more glimpses of Kody's Wedding-Day Hairdo. I wish he would make that his default. It is so flattering. 

Has he tried a man bun yet? Those seem tailor-made for his image. 

No, but Jenelle loves when he sports a ponytail. Personally, I'm not a huge ponytail fan with men, but I thought on him it looked ten times better than the werewolf in transition hair. One time they did some weird computer generated thing of him with a shaved head and he looked GOOD. I mean, not "I want to jump his bones" good, but it made such a remarkable difference. 

• Love 9
12 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

That was the saddest looking Hawaiian vacation I've ever seen. It looked so unorganized and low rent. I'm hoping the adult kids had fun off camera since it was a complete snooze fest and Kody meltdown on camera. Grow up, you tool. 

This! Did I hear Kody mention that their rental was some sort of corporate facility or retreat? How? If my company said it was taking me to Hawaii for a corporate event and we rolled up on that place, I wouldn't be too happy. If a company can afford to take people to Hawaii, I would assume it could put them up some place with at least a 3 star rating. Hell, I'd take a Hilton.  It looked more like a youth hostel of some sort. The hosts seemed nice enough but sorry, not sorry that place was sad and a step below basic. 

Woah! I just noticed we didn't get a Brown vacation trip to the supermarket. What is this world coming to?

13 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

No, but Jenelle loves when he sports a ponytail. Personally, I'm not a huge ponytail fan with men, but I thought on him it looked ten times better than the werewolf in transition hair. One time they did some weird computer generated thing of him with a shaved head and he looked GOOD. I mean, not "I want to jump his bones" good, but it made such a remarkable difference. 

The ponytail is the worse mainly because it unveils the tragic coast line that is his hairline. I'd say the struggle was real but the truth is the struggle is over. The hair follicles lost. Forehead skin won! Maybe he would be best to shave it all. I can't say as I didn't see the computer generated bald Kody. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
48 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I would love to know if he has ever tried to convince the kids to stick with polygamy Kody-style and whatever his other so-called tenets may be, since allegedly this is the only way to Heaven. He seems fairly blasé about his kids hurtling toward eternal damnation by breaking away. So do the moms. What mental gymnastics the parents must employ. 

I think he is blasé about it because he doesn't actually believe any of the religious part of it. He believes he deserves a harem. He believes women exist to serve him. He believes he is superior to the rest of the family. But the real religion part, nope. 

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Seriously, did Kody even want to go on this trip?  He was behaving like a gigantic spoiled brat the entire time.  I mean, it's not like he really had to do anything to prepare or pack other than flit around the cul-de-sac, going from house to house looking for his best faded denim dress shirt.

I wonder if when the trip was proposed he thought TLC would be sending them to some fancy 5 star resort and it would be super 1st class. But either TLC wouldn't pay for that much or wouldn't pay at all so they had to fork over for it and he was pouting.

• Love 5

OKAY i officially recind my previous comment in wanting to actually see the show.  But I did really enjoy the pix that All About the Tea posted in their recap.  Whoever commented on Janelle's "amphibian-like" features - well, I don't want to snark on looks as generally there is nothing the person can do about it - was spot on.  Plus MAN that dirty red apron and the photo with "Mindy#5" and Janelle beached on the sofa with plates of food...did neither of them any favors.

Well, it sounds like they didn't rip off the Bradys - but this morning when I woke up, I flashed on an old movie I saw when I was a kid back in the 1970s - with Bobby Sherman (and costarring "Cousin Oliver" from the last season of the Brady Bunch) titled "He Is My Brother" where Bobby and Cousin Oliver are shipwrecked on a Hawaiian Island in a leper colony.  I barely remember the film but THAT sounds more like the Brown Hawaiian Nightmare Vacay.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, islandgal140 said:

This! Did I hear Kody mention that their rental was some sort of corporate facility or retreat? How? If my company said it was taking me to Hawaii for a corporate event and we rolled up on that place, I wouldn't be too happy. If a company can afford to take people to Hawaii, I would assume it could put them up some place with at least a 3 star rating. Hell, I'd take a Hilton.  It looked more like a youth hostel of some sort. The hosts seemed nice enough but sorry, not sorry that place was sad and a step below basic. 

Woah! I just noticed we didn't get a Brown vacation trip to the supermarket. What is this world coming to?

If you've ever been grocery shopping in Hawaii - Safeway prices are on average 2x more in Hawaii than on the mainland, so it was probably over TLC's budget for the trip. :) 

Ya, Trip Advisor reviews make this place sound pretty stark (more of a hostel).  But what other place would take them?  and again, I really think that TLC was doing this on a shoestring budget.  Also, I feel that TLC has determined that the true audience for this show is the snark/critical/trainwreck audience rather than the pro-Brown audience, so they purposely picked the shittiest place they could find.

• Love 3
(edited)
42 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

I wonder if when the trip was proposed he thought TLC would be sending them to some fancy 5 star resort and it would be super 1st class. But either TLC wouldn't pay for that much or wouldn't pay at all so they had to fork over for it and he was pouting.

All of the 5-star resorts in Hawaii, when asked if they would like to accommodate the Browns, collectively said "HELLZ NAW."

41 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

OKAY i officially recind my previous comment in wanting to actually see the show.  But I did really enjoy the pix that All About the Tea posted in their recap.  Whoever commented on Janelle's "amphibian-like" features - well, I don't want to snark on looks as generally there is nothing the person can do about it - was spot on.  Plus MAN that dirty red apron and the photo with "Mindy#5" and Janelle beached on the sofa with plates of food...did neither of them any favors.

I don't normally comment on looks either, but when I saw Janelle wearing that long-sleeved (polyester?) track suit and apron...she looked sweaty and exhausted.  Do we think she agreed to stay behind and cook while everyone went to the beach so she didn't have to put on a bathing suit?  But even so - a long sleeved shirt, while cooking for 28, in Hawaii (where it's known to be warm) adds up to a kind of gross fashion choice.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 3

Good hotels in Hawaii don't need a polygamous promotion. Plus, can you imagine how the other guests would react? Most would be annoyed at best with the chaos caused by the cameras, and TLC would either have to blur their faces or get permission to show them on TV, so it would be a lot more work for the film crew.

Actually if my extended family could all afford to go to Hawaii, assuming this place was walking distance to the beach, this would be a great place for us. No worries about tracking in dirt/sand (it looked easy to clean), a kitchen area where we could prepare our own meals if we wanted to, and big enough where you wouldn't have be stuck in a room with everyone else at one time.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, islandgal140 said:

I thought that might have been a bit of an "FU interwebs" moment after all of the flack from the last time. Claiming to be broke but buying gallons of almond milk and organic everything.

2 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

Yes. I can see this. Kody's tantrum is partly due to not receiving the red carpet treatment in Hawaii that he feels he is owed. 

• Love 6

I don't know why they just didn't rent a couple of limos and have them drive around the block a couple of times while they all went in and had their breakfast, from what they splashed out for those Thanksgiving feast centerpieces obviously money is no object.

Lol, I have to wonder what hotel management thought of that bunch, and Kody skipping from room to room nightly, one room I bet he didn't darken was Meri's.

• Love 1

I don't understand going out for breakfast in the first place. We are only a pathetic monogamous family, but if we are on vacation and have access to a kitchen, we make breakfast in our hotel. It's much easier to go out to dinner than breakfast. And with that many people going to a coffee shop just seems stupid.

• Love 3
(edited)
21 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I guess Kody is finding it hard accept that the days of arriving home from work and being swarmed by a pack of diaper-clad little ones who worshipped him and being fawned over by three wives who were falling all over themselves competing for his attention are a thing of the past.   

I think you've nailed it.  The wives now have older children (and their partners) to hang out with away from the littles. And the littles have all these teen and pre-teen siblings to take them places and horse around with -- everybody has moved on.

And nowhere is this more evident than on vacation, where the older kids go out and take the camera crew WITH them!  

Edited by kassa
  • Love 2

TLC knows that the older kids are more interesting than Kodouche.  He was no doubt pissed that he didn't get to take a wife and film a special scene in a fancy restaurant.  He was stuck eating with the fam, probably mostly at home in the hostel.  Logan and Maddie got to go out.  Poor old Kody was slighted in many different ways...no wonder he was so pissy!

• Love 6

You guys have nailed it!  I think we all deserve some college credit in child psychology for these seasons of Kody watching. Sorry not sorry, but I lurve when he is mad!  Especially when the kids are rattling his cage. 

• Love 9

I just checked out the retreat center.  Anytime you can rent a place in Hawaii that will accommodate that many people in relative privacy (four 2-bedroom master suites plus a couple of extra bedrooms) for $800 per night, you've got to know you're not getting a lot of luxury.  Most of us would be delighted with the accommodations at those prices.  KB just thinks that he and his group are so special that they should be staying at a luxury hotel on Maui like the Roloffs and Gosselins have done in the past.

He just doesn't get it that taking care of more people costs more money.  The network probably allowed a set amount for the Hawaiian vacation episodes on each show.  Even if they each got the same lump sum, you have to realize that the money will be spread thinner over a larger group.  Well, at least most of us realize it.  Kody . . . not so much.  I'm so done with that yahoo.

• Love 4