Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

• Start Topic

Jesse Custer, who is inhabited by a mysterious entity that causes him to develop a highly unusual power. Jesse, his badass ex-girlfriend Tulip and an Irish vagabond named Cassidy come together and when they do, they are thrust into a crazy world populated by a cast of characters from Heaven, Hell and everywhere in between.

I've watched the pilot and it's good

Spoiler

but different from the source material. The biggest change IMO is that Jesse seems less cool cat rocker turned preacher and more non-descript bowl of oatmeal turned preacher. About to watch episode 2 so I hope that's just pilot-itis.

• Love 2

I tolerate Chris Hardwick as well as the next gal, but the point of "Talking Dead" being called "Talking Dead" is because the original flavor show is "The Walking Dead". Yes to what @Cekrypton1 says, and the name "Talking Preacher" is dumb. Also, I still watch TWD but quit on "Talking Dead" long ago. I know what I just watched, Hardwick; I don't need you to yell it at me. Plus, PTV message boards exist. Aaaanyway, looking forward to "Preacher", but not the aftershow!

• Love 1

Mild pacing-related, non-plot spoilers to follow up on my original post up top:

Spoiler

Jesse doesn't get much better in the oatmeal department through episode 4 but Tulip is a better drawn character in the show. It's interesting to see how the show is slow-burning character and plot introductions versus the comic. Characters are teased earlier but generally the series is taking its time. Still interested but I wonder how it'll play to a larger audience.

Wow @Cekrypton1 you are right on the money with Preaching To The Choir. I don't watch those after shows but I think we can consider maybe thinking about the possibility of perhaps giving one to a non-Chris Hardwick entity.

• Love 1

I went into this cold. No idea what it was about, but needed a palate cleanser after the crap that Fear...Dead is. And I found it interesting.  Loved the girl (tulu?) and I liked the little girl and her admiration. "I'm in charge. I'm 10". Ha.  Really liked the end scene. That asshole got what he deserved. 

• Love 4
(edited)
6 minutes ago, riverheightsnancy said:

I went into this cold. No idea what it was about, but needed a palate cleanser after the crap that Fear...Dead is. And I found it interesting.  Loved the girl (tulu?) and I liked the little girl and her admiration. "I'm in charge. I'm 10". Ha.  Really liked the end scene. That asshole got what he deserved. 

I read the article up thread and it filled me in somewhat. Great characters.

Not for the queasy, perhaps.

Edited by SoSueMe

Weird.  At times it felt like Kill Bill, or maybe trying to pick up on that energy and the tone seemed off, like it wanted to be a dark comedy but then not and then back again to dark humour.  Mostly it was unsatisfying, like it was trying to be something, but then not really being anything.

• Love 8

It was a decent pilot.  I don't know what it is about Joseph Gilgun, but I can't understand a word he's saying., good thing there's closed captioning.  I read the wiki description of the plot and it doesn't seem to be too far off, unlike iZombie. 

• Love 1

I liked it, but it might have helped that I need something to wash away the taste of Fear the Walking Dead out of my mouth.  There are a few questions I still have, I hope Jesse gets a bit more interesting (Dominic Cooper is great; the character was a just a bit to similar to a lot of "mysterious characters running from shady pasts"), and I couldn't understand anything the Irish guy was saying, but I enjoyed the dark humor, the acting, the look of it, and curious to see where this is all heading.

Besides Cooper, it was fun seeing fellow Marvel alumni, Ruth Negga (Raina from Agents of Shield) as Tulip.  Always great seeing W. Earl Brown as well.  Took me a while to place Lucy Griffiths as Emily, without her British accent.  Hopefully she'll last longer on this show then she did on Constantine.  Curious to see more of the mysterious characters played by Tom Brooke and Anatol Yusef.

So, judging from Brian Huskey's fate, did Jesse get some kind of power where people will do what he says, but they take it literally or something? I had no idea what to make of all that, and why he didn't combust like those other preachers (and Tom Cruise!) did.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yep, Jessie needs to remember not to be too literal next time he gives advice.

I haven't read the Preacher comics in a long time and only remember Arseface and the "Fuck Communism" lighter. Completely forgot about the exploding preachers before whatever power picks Jessie.

Always loved Ruth Negga on Agents of SHIELD and am glad that she was cast as Tulip.

Edited by VCRTracking

Rudaaay! and other Misfit! Hated her on AoS, though.

I guess I'll have to reread Preacher. It's been awhile but so far this perfectly captures the spirit of the book. I love whoever's directing. The shots are beautiful, the characters and humor are great. Great editing too.

I almost didn't recognize Dan Dority.

• Love 2

Wowsers. Not bad, especially for the pilot. 

It's been literal decades since I've read the comics so I'm going to go pretty much strictly by what they do with the show, and so far, so good.

The "guy with no life who wants to discuss it endlessly" is as old as The Simpsons but it still makes the point quickly--the difference between wanting sincerely to Do Good and the depth of exhaustion and contempt you can have actually dealing with your flock. How you think you get the dynamic between two people and realize you have it ALLLLLLLL WRONG and woof, now what? The realizing that most people don't want anything to change, not one thing, because the only thing more terrifying then their present desperation is the black unknowing void that is something different. 

The "comic book/we're so edgy!" stuff was slathered on a bit thick but some good acting bits stuck out: Sarah and her quiet love for the preacher while knowing it's hopeless in the worst way--that it literally will never occur to him that she's even female, let alone pining for him (her smashing the ipod was terrific). Assface's genuine bewilderment and fright that God has gone silent. Cassidy's reveling in the great gulf fixed like a pig in shit (but can we please just say Uncle now and just subtitle him? I caught about one word in four.) Jesse's quiet decision to just start dishing out those eye for an eyes since that idiot was on his knees begging for it.

The possession of Jesse at his nadir of faith, as opposed to the earlier attempts with those who presumably were at the apex of theirs, was very good. After all, doubt and questioning are what make room for The Big Questions and what fuel quests. 

The two searchers in their (vastly outdated/tacky/downright offensive) versions of the local garb who are hunting It/Jesse down also did a lot of information/teasing with very little actual screen time. Hope the show can keep that kind of brisk storytelling going.

• Love 6

The comic was from a generation ago, so it doesn't surprise me that people aren't referencing it. I didn't think that any live-action adaptation could do justice to the

Spoiler

Arseface

character, but they did okay. They made him more articulate than in the book, but I still had to watch with the closed captions on.

Somehow, Ruth Negga in this role reminds me so much of Annie Potts in looks, speech, and mannerisms. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

So, judging from Brian Huskey's fate, did Jesse get some kind of power where people will do what he says, but they take it literally or something? I had no idea what to make of all that, and why he didn't combust like those other preachers (and Tom Cruise!) did.

More or less, yes. You can view it as the "word of God" superpower. Less persuasion powers, not mind control, but more literal command as if God told someone they had to do something from a burning bush and only chosen someones could handle it otherwise bad things could happen, ie anyone else on Mt. Sinai would go blind or deaf from witnessing power so great. Or like Arc of the Covenant facemelting Nazis and "unworthy" Tom Cruise exploding.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Snookums said:

The "comic book/we're so edgy!" stuff was slathered on a bit thick but some good acting bits stuck out: Sarah and her quiet love for the preacher while knowing it's hopeless in the worst way--that it literally will never occur to him that she's even female, let alone pining for him (her smashing the ipod was terrific). Assface's genuine bewilderment and fright that God has gone silent. Cassidy's reveling in the great gulf fixed like a pig in shit (but can we please just say Uncle now and just subtitle him? I caught about one word in four.) Jesse's quiet decision to just start dishing out those eye for an eyes since that idiot was on his knees begging for it.

The possession of Jesse at his nadir of faith, as opposed to the earlier attempts with those who presumably were at the apex of theirs, was very good. After all, doubt and questioning are what make room for The Big Questions and what fuel quests. 

The two searchers in their (vastly outdated/tacky/downright offensive) versions of the local garb who are hunting It/Jesse down also did a lot of information/teasing with very little actual screen time. Hope the show can keep that kind of brisk storytelling going.

Several points, now that I've recovered from the hilarious aside of Tom Cruise going splodey.

Watching Sarah give Jesse a couple of openings large enough to drive a truck through, only to have him completely blip over it as it regards what he means to her, made me wince for her, because as you say he's got no idea that she's a woman. Possibly even because he'd been trying so hard to let go of who he used to be, or as Tulip told him, who he still is. I can't remember enough of the comic to recall what exactly he'd been doing before he returned home, but his adamant refusal to help Tulip with "a job" speaks of something he'd been trying desperately to forget. And it's likely why he relates to Assface, because he spent most of the pilot wondering why God has stopped answering his phone calls, as it were.

I was impressed with the makeup job they did for Assface, btw. Considering he's called that for a reason, I was very curious to see what he'd end up looking like, so good job to the makeup people.

If you notice, it isn't until the abusive husband threatens the boy that Jesse's entire demeanor changes, and if I squint hard enough I can fanwank that that's what the entity saw in him, that sense of purpose, even if it was mixed with a large dose of "What am I even doing here?" He wanted to be doing more - giving better sermons, helping that woman get away from her husband, maybe being a better man in general, and now, for good or ill, he's got the determination to do it.,

• Love 3
(edited)

I liked the scenes with Emily a lot more than the scenes with Tulip.  I don't know if it was the way the actress played it, or how her part was written but Tulip felt like an action hero caricature out of a Fast and Furious or Lara Croft type movie, while Emily's motives seemed more complex and interesting.

I feel like I may need some sensitivity training courses, but I have no idea what the talking butthole said.  It was just too distracting for me and kept wondering if the bumps nearby were meant to be some type of facial hemorrhoid.

Edited by Sentient Meat
missed a word
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Yep, Jessie needs to remember not to be too literal next time he gives advice.

I haven't read the Preacher comics in a long time and only remember Arseface and the "Fuck Communism" lighter. Completely forgot about the exploding preachers before whatever power picks Jessie.

Always loved Ruth Negga on Agents of SHIELD and am glad that she was cast as Tulip.

I am pretty sure the exploding preachers is a show creation. As far as I remember, Genesis only picked Jesse Custer in the comics, and in doing so, blew up his entire congregation. So you don't have the moment where at least in the pilot Jesse decides to be good at his preaching job.

1 hour ago, Sentient Meat said:

I liked the scenes with Emily a lot more than the scenes with Tulip.  I don't know if it was the way the actress played it, or how her part was written but Tulip felt like an action hero caricature out of a Fast and Furious or Lara Croft type movie, while Emily's motives seemed more complex and interesting.

I feel like I may need some sensitivity training courses, but I have no idea what the talking butthole said.  It was just too distracting for me and kept wondering if the bumps nearby were meant to be some type of facial hemorrhoid.

The character in the comics attempted suicide after Kurt Cobain did, but survived and looked even worse and talked even worse than the show character. I have closed captioning on for viewing, but I understood him reasonably well without it.

(edited)

I'm not a big religious guy, but even I enjoyed the whole "Blessed are those that hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they will be filled." Aspect to this show.  It was done with a big enough winking "careful what you wish for" thrown in that I am very much on board.

As a huge fan of the books, I've been skeptical as hell of this, but I'm enjoying the changes.  I'm also enjoying that they didn't give away too much info right away.  My favorite thing?  Cassidy.  That WAS Cassidy 100%.

Spoiler

What will make me really go crazy for this show?  The moment I hear "Humper-dumper-dee-do."

Edited by revbfc
Forgot spoiler stuff.
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

If you notice, it isn't until the abusive husband threatens the boy that Jesse's entire demeanor changes, and if I squint hard enough I can fanwank that that's what the entity saw in him, that sense of purpose, even if it was mixed with a large dose of "What am I even doing here?" He wanted to be doing more - giving better sermons, helping that woman get away from her husband, maybe being a better man in general, and now, for good or ill, he's got the determination to do it.

I assume we'll find out why the entity didn't explode Jesse the way it did the other preachers? The suggestion is that it found something different in him, although neither of the other two preachers were portrayed as charlatans or con men. Perhaps Jesse has an innate power or strength of character that the others did not. It's also possible that the entity was drawn to Jesse's supposed dark side. Either way, I'm curious enough to watch for a while and see how it all shakes out.

Not sure what to make of this yet. I loved the comic book, back when I was younger, but in recent years have realised how it gets off to a great start, then sags terribly in the middle until it comes to an emotionally satisfying conclusion. Anyway, this opening was much slower than the comic book, and I don't really see the need for this extended look at small-town Texas life.

None of the characters are how I always imagined them, which isn't a massive problem for Jesse, as I like Dominic Cooper. Not quite sold on Cassidy yet, and really not sold on Tulip. I loved Tulip after the first issue of the comic book, but here I found her to be an obnoxious, one-note 'tough girl'. I did like Emily, and her modest concerns and her quiet yearning for Jesse. If Jesse is going to be given a choice between the 'nice' girl next door and the 'sexy' bad girl, then nice wins every time, in this case. Weirdly, they seem to have split original Tulip into two different characters, here.

It seems like they've been very liberal with the source material, so I really don't know where this story is going to go, and what characters it's going to add, omit or change. Tulip knowing where he is from the beginning pretty much guts most of the first big arc of the comic though, that's for sure.

The Arseface reveal was effective. The makeup was not. He looks like more of a cartoon than Steve Dillon's original depiction of the character did. I did like how they used that scene as a way of illustrating what's going on with Jesse. And I enjoyed the bar brawl that took pains to show that Jesse Custer likes fighting, and he likes hurting people. 

Apart from the violence, the first bit of dialogue that made me feel this show will be done right was Cassidy saying, "I've seen the lousy kind [of preacher]. And as long as you're not walking around with a kiddie's arsehole around your finger like a bloody wedding ring, I'd say you're ahead of the game." I don't think that line is from the comic, but it's one Garth Ennis would have enjoyed immensely.

• Love 1

Well yeah, I'd imagine sodomy-style molestation is the way to Ennis' heart given how often it crops up in his work.

1 hour ago, lordonia said:

I assume we'll find out why the entity didn't explode Jesse the way it did the other preachers? The suggestion is that it found something different in him, although neither of the other two preachers were portrayed as charlatans or con men. Perhaps Jesse has an innate power or strength of character that the others did not. It's also possible that the entity was drawn to Jesse's supposed dark side. Either way, I'm curious enough to watch for a while and see how it all shakes out.

Not being that familiar with the source material, I wondered if it might not be some special quality of Jesse's but just the fact that he was drunk enough to pass out and give it time to settle into him comfortably rather than using it immediately in a sermon before he was acclimated to its power.

It really felt like two different series crashing together though—naturalistic Coen Brothers-style small town Texas anomie in Jesse's scenes and a gonzo From Dusk til Dawn-style action-horror movie for Tulip's and Cassidy's scenes. It'll be interesting to see how the two mesh.

• Love 2

I've been looking forward to this since it was announced... last year? In 2014?

I've never read the source but I've heard about it! I do get it confused with Hellblazer, like, often, when I think about it.

Anyway, I didn't know what to expect. I am really glad I had no idea Seth Rogen was involved until I read his name in the credits. I probably saw articles or fast forwarded through commercials that featured that bit of info, but, thankfully, it didn't sink in.

I <3 Dominic Cooper. While I don't want every episode to dwell on his inner broodiness or his (first half's) defeated dustbowl soul, I did love that his side eyes and clear humor were balanced by the weight of looking an ugly world in the eye and having no will to overcome it. Until he did.

Not sure how I feel about any of the rest yet. Gotta say, the preliminary "Outer Space" scene that looked like it had been filmed by Ed Wood, was a weird intro to the next thirty minutes spent, mostly, as part of an updated The Grapes of Wrath was bizarre. Interesting, but bizarre.

Can't wait for next week. Gonna watch again soon.

• Love 5

Like I said in my earlier post, I read Jesse's ability to absorb the entity as a result of him being, at that precise moment, on the verge of losing his faith. He had begged God one last time to forgive him and didn't hear anything, he just got in the kind of fight--with the enjoyment of causing pain--that he swore he'd leave behind, His ex is there to tell him that even trying to change is a waste of time; he's hit rock bottom, yet he still believes. That belief is what's causing his agony and despair, and ironically leaves enough room in his psyche/soul to hold the entity rather then disintegrate from trying to embody that power. The earlier ministers (and Tom Cruise) were all taken over when they were preaching, and presumably saying things they truly believed--that is, not con men or  charlatans. Not enough room. Like a genie shopping for the right size lamp, Jesse Custer was a perfect fit.

• Love 5

I haven't read the source material so I was a little confused by everything. Cassidy is a vampire, right? Never seen an Irish vampire before so I am totally in love with that. Is the actor actually Irish because his speech patterns are dead on. I sound like that after a week with my sister-in-law who has held onto her accent more than I have.

I've never been a fan of quiet pining so that didn't work for me. I loved Tulip and her arts and crafts project. I also enjoyed the little girl's reaction. She's not going to be anybody's victim. I was happy to see Ruth Negga; I'm one of the few people who liked her Agents of Shield character.

The possession bit was underwhelming, given that a bunch of apparently righteous people (and Tom Cruise) blew up when whatever it was tried to move in. The "open my heart to you" was shocking to me, and I just watched the Twisted Titty massacre on From Dusk Till Dawn.  Poor mother didn't deserve a shock like that at her age. Well done, Show.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Tarasme said:

Not sure how I feel about any of the rest yet. Gotta say, the preliminary "Outer Space" scene that looked like it had been filmed by Ed Wood, was a weird intro to the next thirty minutes spent, mostly, as part of an updated The Grapes of Wrath was bizarre. Interesting, but bizarre.

That was deliberately cheesy, right? I've been known to give up on shows in the first couple of minutes, but I grimaced my way through that out of curiosity.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Irishmaple said:

I haven't read the source material so I was a little confused by everything. Cassidy is a vampire, right? Never seen an Irish vampire before so I am totally in love with that. Is the actor actually Irish because his speech patterns are dead on. I sound like that after a week with my sister-in-law who has held onto her accent more than I have.

Joseph Gilgun is from Lancashire, England, and I think that's his real accent, because he's been in a couple of other things I've seen and he sounded like that  then as well. As for Cassidy, I think he may be a demon hybrid, because the sun was out when he was lying in that hole in the ground and snagged a cow for dinner. They didn't show it, but I presumed he ate the whole thing and left the bones behind.

2 hours ago, Irishmaple said:

I was happy to see Ruth Negga; I'm one of the few people who liked her Agents of Shield character.

The possession bit was underwhelming, given that a bunch of apparently righteous people (and Tom Cruise) blew up when whatever it was tried to move in. The "open my heart to you" was shocking to me, and I just watched the Twisted Titty massacre on From Dusk Till Dawn.  Poor mother didn't deserve a shock like that at her age. Well done, Show.

I wasn't a big fun of Ruth Negga on AoS, but I thought she was pretty awesome. -- kills a guy with a cob of corn.  Nice !!

I think you meant the Titty Twister massacre from 'From Dusk till Dawn'.  :)

(edited)

I'm watching this for Dominic Cooper, but Joseph Gilgun is one of my least favorite actors, so it's a 50/50.   Cooper can do better accents, so maybe it's supposed to sound a little off.  Gilgun was on Misfits, and had a fairly standard British accent there. (Negga was also on Misfits for one season).  Loved Dan Dority(Earl Brown). 

Best scene:  Jesse kicking ass.  Dom Cooper should be the next James Bond.  He was already Ian Fleming.

Runner up: Tulip kicking ass. 

Tom Cruise exploding was disappointing to me.  I wanted it to be more real, not an insert. 

Apparently, Cooper and Negga are a couple IRL. 

Edited by atomationage

So this is basically a genre dark Dramedy (genre/scifi + dark comedy + drama). I honestly think this show could easier air after The Walking Dead. It appeals to TWD fans while also being lighter and would allow viewers to unwind. Plus if they insist on making Hardwick talk about all their shows just name it Talking AMC and at 11 PM he can discuss both shows at once and not need all that filler they added once they expanded to an hour.

On May 22, 2016 at 4:26 PM, AimingforYoko said:

Chris Hardwick will soon have an aftershow for everything you watch.(On AMC) Do not resist, you will be assimilated.

They really should just call it Talking AMC. One size fits all and allows two dramas to air back to back.

20 hours ago, placate said:

It was a decent pilot.  I don't know what it is about Joseph Gilgun, but I can't understand a word he's saying., good thing there's closed captioning.  I read the wiki description of the plot and it doesn't seem to be too far off, unlike iZombie. 

His mouth is a butthole

(edited)

Not a bad start since I went into it with absolutely no background whatsoever. Not sure what it says about me that I found Tulip's interactions with the two kids the best bits about the pilot.

Edited by kdm07
  • Love 10

I'm another one who didn't know a thing at all about the show, saw on the episode description that it was a pilot for a new show and decided to DVR it out of curiosity.  I didn't think the episode was bad at all and it definitely piqued my interest enough to put it on my schedule.  I was looking for something to watch on Sundays, anyway.  I'm glad I didn't know that Seth Rogen is involved or I wouldn't have watched it at all.

I'll say this about it.  It's different.

If I'm ever in need of someone to help me make a bazooka I hope that 10 year old girl and her brother are on my side.

• Love 5

That was . . . different. I don't think we'll be neck-deep in misery porn like with TWD, but I can see how people might be turned off. Garth Ennis is a popular writer, but he's a bit of an acquired taste. If you're not into this show, you probably wouldn't like Hitman. Or The Boys. Or Adventures In The Rifle Brigade.

I was expecting more blasphemy off the bat, and I wasn't anticipating Tulip and Cassidy showing up at Jesse's sermon. I guess liberties can be taken to the point where Cassidy kills a bunch of dudes and jumps out of an airplane at 30,000 feet without a parachute.

Thankfully, Arseface still has subtitles. He's like Tai from Survivor, in the sense that I can understand most of what he's saying, but I'm thankful that they're there.

Tom Cruise went boom. That's gonna piss off some people, but I don't care.

• Love 1
(edited)

I came in cold, but I'm in for the season, and I want the soundtrack!

Although, I thought for a minute that I was going to have to call it quits if that GEICO commercial Peter Pan little shit was going to be in the show. Thank God indeed that he was just a blip in the show.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Irishmaple said:

I've never been a fan of quiet pining so that didn't work for me. I loved Tulip and her arts and crafts project. I also enjoyed the little girl's reaction. She's not going to be anybody's victim. I was happy to see Ruth Negga; I'm one of the few people who liked her Agents of Shield character.

There was an Irish vampire on the British version of Being Human (If you have not had a chance to watch that I would recommend it).

As for this show...I was not a fan.  I had heard about the source material and so it piqued my interest because I tend to watch any show that is like this.  However, I found myself bored (not as bored as I was watching the Fear of the Walking Dead mind you).  The highlight of the episode for me was the bar fight and that really is not saying much.  But I am going to give this another chance to see if it gets better and I hope it does because the concept sounds cool.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, atomationage said:

I'm watching this for Dominic Cooper, but Joseph Gilgun is one of my least favorite actors

Awwwwwwwwwwww... I love him so much that it pains me to read that! 

Anyway, cool pilot. I haven't read Preacher since I was youngish and I'm really not anymore so maybe I have forgot most of it or embellished it with time but I didn't get the sense of WTF IS WRONG WITH ENNIS???? that I had reading the comic books (or everything he ever wrote... Damn, The Boys is seriously twisted shit! and his Punisher is brilliantly written). 

I don't know, I had fun watching it mostly but in my mind, the comic is superb and outrageous (in a good intelligent way behind all the outrageous) and it was just a little empty. I'm staying in of course but I'm cautious and will be managing my expectations from now on.

• Love 1