Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Hold Your Horses

• Start Topic

How embarassing (for both of them) that Thomas went to Patricia saying that his spoiled brat baby mama "WEPT" when she found out she wasn't invited to her party.  Give me a freaking break.  She doesn't even muster up a bit of concern for how their behavior is bound to affect their children in the future, but she wept because she didn't get an invite from a lady who she despises.   She is a total child.  My 16 year old daughter didn't believe me when I told her how old she is.   If she's this way at 24, I don't see 30 being that much better, but I guess one can hope for a miracle for the sake of the kids. 

• Love 7

This is so true when one parent is histrionic, the child is the one who pays.  Kathryn might want to realize for once that maybe it is time for some of the events to be about Kensie.

As a family law attorney I feel compelled to comment on Kathryn's behavior at the event. At this age, Kensie is too young to comprehend what is going on, but she's only a few months away from the age that she will. When she is old enough, heartbreaking. It won't matter what really happened or what the truth is. All she will see is that her father did something that upset her mother; as a result, she has to leave with her mom, even though she was excited to see her dad and spend time with her dad; and, there's a very good chance she'll blame herself. If her Mom is going to act like this, there will be a knot in her stomach at every school party, dance recital, soccer game, parent-teacher conference. It's reprehensible. And, even with a court order of parenting time there is plenty that Kathryn can do to disrupt things. Yes, Thomas has his own issues, but I don't see him publicly causing a scene and embarrassing his children.

As for Thomas, eventually there will be a court order of child support. Actually, whenever Kathryn wants it she can get it. My suspicion is that she has been told what she is likely to get in court, and she doesn't like that number - as she has said, she was promised a house, etc. So, she is trying to hold out and get more on her own. Regardless, he will be ordered to pay support, and these children are not starving or wanting for anything. I am not excusing his lack of support, and he should be paying her at least the minimum every month, but the financial shortcoming is easily fixed - Kathryn's emotional shortcomings are not.

I believe the reason Kathryn is not taking Thomas to court is because she is cashing six figure paychecks from the show.  By her third season, and essentially she is the star of the show, there really is no desperate financial need. It makes for a good storyline and she will certainly need the support after the end of her reality TV career ends. Maybe he is matching what he earns on the show with hers to arrive at the child support amount.   

• Love 3

Kathryn would think going to Walmart is slumming. :)

Well of course it is :-D But they still got what you need.

Probably, but I think I recall last season that she mentioned she was wearing some clothes from Target.  I don't think she was happy about it, though.   ;-)

Shep's looks have really faded. He is looking haggard and has lost some of that boyish charm. It would serve him well to fall in love with a nice woman and settle down or he is gonna end up like TRav part 2...maybe without the two kids but who knows. It's not like Shep used protection when he slept with Kathryn so he has shown he is capable of the same poor judgment at least once.

• Love 2

Shep's looks have really faded. He is looking haggard and has lost some of that boyish charm. It would serve him well to fall in love with a nice woman and settle down or he is gonna end up like TRav part 2...maybe without the two kids but who knows. It's not like Shep used protection when he slept with Kathryn so he has shown he is capable of the same poor judgment at least once.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see Shep settling down unless Cameran gets a divorce and sees him in a new light.  Yep, I said it!  ;)

Edited by straightshooter
  • Love 7

You're right - I stand corrected.  Just watching a rerun now, and both Kathryn and Jennifer are wearing the green bracelets at the polo field, but they were not wearing them during the filming we saw of their drive to the polo field.  :-)

Yep - I stand corrected too - the green bracelets didn't appear until they were driving on the track up to the field. Interesting that no one else was wearing them though.  Maybe it was for access to the green porta-potty...

• Love 4

The only reason I can think of for Thomas to be having a SECOND child with Kathryn is that he really wanted an heir (son) and it's better in Charleston society to have one babymomma, rather than two.  That's all I got.  The same way some men marry pregnant girlfriends - knowing it will never last - because it's better to be divorced than to have a child *gasp* out of wedlock.  Idiots, all of them . . . 

I agree. Two baby mamas is extremely tacky in his social circle. If he plans to have a third child, it will definitely be with his wife. Kathryn is fucking crazy. 

• Love 3

Landon is one of those bohemian artsy people that I used to see at Grateful Dead shows back in the day. The main difference being that they genuinely didn't care about material things and were happy in their existence. She wants to be free and flighty and have all the finer things too. Life doesn't work like that. Pick a lane.

Kinda like a "Coachella" girl...looking all boho and granola, but the clothes are super, super expensive and the attitudes are the same!   ;-)

• Love 4

Just got a Cost Plus World Market flier in the mail. Front page was everything needed for a summer Flamingo Party. If it wasn't a flamingo it was bright coral or those big tropical leaves and hibiscus. Can't wait for the party scans Katherine.

• Love 4

I don't understand Kathryn's objection to Kensie being around alcohol at the polo event. Did I miss something along the way? It's not like anyone was taking Kensie to a house party at Shep and Whitney's or a late-night bar. What's the big deal about people having cocktails or wine at an adult event during the daytime even if a toddler is running around? I really didn't get that.

• Love 3

I took Kathryn's objection to alcohol at the Polo game as it being related to Thomas drinking. Say what you want about Kathryn but Thomas is bad drunk. Seriously what 50+ father gets a black eye at a bar? He also had that issue wit the assault that occurred when he was drinking. I would think that having all the alcohol removed would have been more of a scene.

• Love 4

After watching this episode, it's Kathryn that is the fakest of everyone. She wants Thomas to get her a place downtown and she is being nice only to get this. She's so beautiful and she seems pretty intelligent. If she wasn't so fixed on her culture, being a southern bell, she could be making it big in Hollywood. She is chasing this "southern bell" dream that doesn't exist and now has all these kids and an older man that will absolutely never marry her. It's very sad, but a lot of people sacrifice their happiness for their "culture." She seems to bent and determined to live in Charleston and have that life. I think she is incredibly manipulative, but I DO think she totally screwed herself by having kids with a man and not making him marry her. She's in for a hard life when the show and attention are over, and she is a 30 something year old with school kids. 

Edited by bravofan27
  • Love 2

Yeah, I doubt it had anything to do with Thomas drinking since he wasn't even in the tent but was playing in the match. When she made her objection Elizabeth said they would get rid of the alcohol and anything else she didn't like and Kathryn still stormed off. Also, Jen had a glass of wine so I think it's not an objection she has ever made before.

Landons list of business ideas reminded me of Tom Haverford's on Parks and Rec!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5

Kathryn used this polo match as an opportunity to be dramatic. I don't believe her histrionics for one damned minute. She's using those kids to make bank from Thomas. He's not admirable, either, but he seems to value his child and the one to come. Kathryn may love them, but she's using them big time. Thomas needs to go to court to settle this and put the mama with the drama in her place. I've seen this BS first hand, and the court can settle this crap once and for all--at least in California.

• Love 4

I took Kathryn's objection to having Kensie around alcohol as Kathryn seeing another opportunity to be a raging, out of control asshole.

Yep, the alcohol was nothing but a scapegoat.  She just wanted something to blame her freak-out on.  It's all about her - and, as far as she's concerned, it can't be when there are other people around - until she freaks out and leaves, of course.

• Love 4

I don't see anything mystifying about Kathryn's general antipathy toward and suspicion of JD and Elizabeth in the context of the narrative trajectory that has been broadcast over the past three years. Viewers watched as a cultured, erudite, and globe-trotting fifty-year-old ex-con explicitly stated on national television that he hoped his callow, sheltered twenty-one-year-old would get pregnant; audiences were also treated to scenes of said fifty-year-old implicitly promising to support her sans conditions once she delivered his progeny. And, of course, everyone got to behold this middle-aged man getting every bit as drunk on camera as his barely-out-of-teens squeeze; sloppily running into CVS for a disposable urine test to determine whether their blacked-out assignation had resulted in conception of a scion; etc, etc.

Despite all of this footage, the cast and many fans of the program alike somehow devised a formulation by the commencement of season 2 in which a vapid, bar-hopping party girl who couldn't even manage to get home after some all-nighters somehow nefariously "manipulated" a veteran politician, drug dealer, and felon into their state of domestic discontent. Now, the social circle of which both are a part continue to accept Thomas's intoxicated escapades as if a fifty-something frequenting the VIP section of a downtown bar (let alone incurring a black eye there) is somehow normal while crying for smelling salts over the emotional instability of a young adult grappling with the fallout of her admittedly questionable choices.

To me, that is some Twilight Zone-level up-is-down and down-is-up borderline gaslight Kafkaesquery. I'd side-eye JT and Elizabeth, too.

Which is not to say that Kathryn presently wields the linguistic skills, faculties of introspection, or maturity to articulate herself adequately. She's made vague gestures toward her point with the invocations of  the "Scarlet Letter" clichés but that is obviously a pretty elementary analogy for the situation. Ergo, she meltdowns and reaches for the first objectionable element that she can identify (the alcohol).

And as for the idea that she's being intractable with and/or weaponizing custody arrangements. Well, yeah, and that's exactly what Thomas is doing with the financial largesse that he initially assured her; had he his druthers, he would be able to exclude Kathryn from the situation entirely, win primary custody, and not be obligated to provide any support through his children's mother whatsoever.

Good for her for leveraging what she can. He's so insistent that he shouldn't be on the hook for alimony since there was no marriage; but that reality goes both ways. No marriage? The mom has autonomy over the kids produced from the union.

Edited by lunastartron
  • Love 12

Brookland is WAY out in the boondocks, unlike Summerville which is more suburban and similar to Mount Pleasant in it's demographics and retail make up. It's a very quick drive if traffic is moving....unlike Brookland which is about an hour from downtown and is two lane roads much of the way. And she cracked me up talking about living at her parents and "being able to get what she needs out there". Please.....there's a Walmart 5 miles from her momma and daddy's house.

I looked up Monck's Corner. According to Wikipedia, it's a small town but it's grown like over 20 percent in just the past 4 years or so. Which makes me think that her family farmland is either completely unable to get developed, or her parents sold off their development rights, because it makes absolutely no sense to me otherwise that they haven't subdivided that 800 acres for at least some development, because it sounds like Monck's Corner actually is a pretty decent hotbed for development now. I mean, I get that her family land has to be mostly wetlands, but it still sounds absolutely insane to me that there aren't some old tobacco fields they had that can be turned into something. I'm guessing more likely that it's family land pride thing, which probably pisses Kathryn off because they really should be turning a decent profit if they sold their land. (My sister's in-laws refuse to sell their land to development, which also pisses them off.)

I mean, it's lovely land, but it doesn't seem like anyone really wants to farm anymore.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see Shep settling down unless Cameran gets a divorce and sees him in a new light.  Yep, I said it!  ;)

Cameran is pretty steadfast about how she seems Shep like her little brother, but Shep honestly is pretty hard to read. If he does have feelings for her, he'd never show it.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3

Anytime Kathryn whines that Thomas promised her this, promised her that, I want to shake her and remind her that he gave her the opportunity to live with him. But she wasn't happy with that arrangement. He moves her into town. She's not happy with that. But now all of a sudden she demands he support her. Thomas could set her up in a mansion with servants, and she'd find a way to screw that up and complain about it as well.

The girl wants a wedding ring. But even then, if that happened, she'd complain. Oh Thomas, what on earth were you thinking?

Edited by Major Bigtime
  • Love 5

Thomas is just as self-absorbed and spoiled, but at least the dude has an ounce of breeding and knows how to properly interact with other well-ma

Also, that big fancy candle Thomas gave Patricia is worth at least $250---French-made by Dyptique, so I was quite envious of her gift...must be nice to throw around money for upscale offerings to acquaintances so casually.

I wish the attention whores I knew overcompensated by out-sized hostess gifts.

Just my luck that all the narcissists in my life are also cheap fucking bastards!

Edited by bosawks
  • Love 11

Something obviously occurred behind the scenes to make Kathryn react that way to the sight of JD and Elizabeth.

That said, Kathryn seems to have histrionic personality disorder. Or maybe borderline. She's got something.... I think her parents know this about her and that is why they were so silent when she was dating a 50 year old man and trying to get pregnant by him. They figured maybe he would take her off their hands, support her.

Jennifer-the hanger-on friend. Having to chase Kensie around while Kathryn installs the car seat and complains about being a single mom. Well yea, it sucks but then....why the heck did you get knocked up AGAIN?

Why is Craig's face so damn craggy? Those lines on his face are trenches and he's like 27. Yikes.

Naomie's parents are really going to be into a lazy, user guy who couldn't be bothered to take the bar, marrying their daughter? I think not.

That ring was hideous. He tries too hard to be Mr. Charleston; I have known those poseur types.

I wonder if Danni dates anyone or does she just wait around for Shep to come back to her? Landon too seems to be hoping for Shep..... move on ladies. It ain't happenin'.

• Love 4

I wonder if Thomas' prior conviction is a reason he doesn't want to go back to court. Maybe he is worried that he won't get much visitation with that. 

I'm sure JD and Elizabeth talked some shit about Kathryn but I also bet that they would be generally supportive of her. I think they are also fully aware that Thomas is no angel and wouldn't be like 100% Team Thomas either.  i feel like they probably did some random thing that pissed Kathryn off and then she blocked them from her phone as Elizabeth suggested and now claims that they aren't in touch with her. 

• Love 6

Well this episode was not charming in the least, except for Cameran chowing down and telling Shep "you'll live" when he asked if the fried chicken was good for them. And Patricia trying to wrap her hands around a candle the size of a trash can. I also got a kick out of her accidentally ordering 144 inflatable flamingoes.

In no particular order of annoyance:

- Kathryn doesn't want her preverbal toddler around people who are civilly sipping wine because why? Is Kensie a booze fiend? Do her diapers often reek of gin? Does she stash little airplane bottles in her pack'n'play?

- Kathryn's meltdown was probably for the cameras but it made me sad that Kensie couldn't stay; she was playing so gleefully when she saw the horses and liked the attention from JD et al

- Landon's dumb storyline about earning money by opening a members only bourbon bar and launching a girlier version of Garden & Gun is completely fake (and gosh, Craig just happens to work for Gentry group now so what a coincidence Landon wants to open a bar! who could ever think this is scripted?) but it still struck a nerve with me when she whined about people telling her she can't have 50 dreams, because I know someone just like that - constantly broke, half-assed education, bad resume, two divorces, in debt to her eyeballs, one bankruptcy already under her belt but god forbid anyone tell her to get a fucking job while pursuing her "dreams"

- scrubs look super comfortable and I'm jealous of anyone who gets to live in them, but it annoys the hell out of me when people buy them just to look more "official"; a nanny in scrubs is ridiculous unless she's a nurse, and even then a nurse who is simply minding a toddler at a polo match would have no need to wear scrubs; I wouldn't put it past Thomas or Kathryn to make the nanny wear a uniform, though, as in their minds Kensie is a Ravenel and therefore American Royalty; if Kathryn ever gets a housekeeper she'll have her in a french maid's outfit from Frederick's because it's "classy"

- if there is any shred of truth to Thomas saying that Kathryn has felt left out and disregarded (or whatever) her whole life then yeah, it makes me wonder if there's something going on with her mentally, although frankly it just sounds like typical manipulative b.s. from your garden variety asshole, or from a reality show script (written by assholes)

- I feel ripped off that we didn't get to see more of the polo match and family day (minus the hillbilly femme fatale); this show needs more horseshit, less bullshit

• Love 7

Some speculated that the wristbands were possibly either for the polo match or a hospital. I disagree. Not only were the others not wearing wristbands, but the polo match was at T-Rav's plantation, so I don't see why they would need wristbands to get in. And those certainly weren't hospital wristbands; and Jennifer wouldn't need one if Kathryn was admitted. To me they definitely looked like something you would get in a bar to prove you're 21. (Another alternative is unlimited rides at a carnival, but I doubt that.) I wouldn't doubt that in this two hour car ride they stopped for a break and some "liquid courage" to get through the day. Being drunk might explain Kathryn's erratic behavior. She seemed to be okay when they started off on the drive. But once she had the wristband on in the car, she was acting insane and slumping in her seat--even before they arrived and saw other people there. Although suddenly she acts all self-righteous about Kensie being around alcohol, perhaps either to deflect off herself...or maybe she left Kensie outside with the cameraman while she went in the bar. I KNOW she's pregnant and SHOULDN'T be drinking, but that doesn't detract from the point that she wasn't acting like a person in her rational mind. She seemed "on something." And we've seen her both sober and drunk. I think she can hold herself together when she's not drinking, such as at the #NewCraig party. But she gets crazy like that when she's drinking, e.g., every other party episode in the history of this show, with the exception of the outdoor cocktail party where she first met T-Rav (and we first met her) in season 1.

Well, that debacle definitely proved Patricia's point that Kathryn isn't ready to be around civilized people. Psst, Kathyrn, there will be PEOPLE at the flamingo party. If you can't handle sharing an outdoor space in the general vicinity of other people, a party probably isn't the place for you! Last week Elizabeth was saying how she's tried calling Kathryn and she doesn't answer, speculating that Kathryn blocked her number. This week Kathryn is off on a rant because Elizabeth doesn't call. Not sure whether one is lying or there's just some misunderstanding. I wouldn't be surprised if Kathryn did block Elizabeth in some drunken tizzy and doesn't recall that she did and is, thus, all upset that she doesn't call.

Seems like I'm the only one who liked the ring. I adore Art Deco style! I don't understand the concept of a promise ring when one is a grown adult who is old enough to be married--either get engaged (with a long engagement) or continue your relationship with the intent that you're working toward getting engaged. I have a feeling that he wants to get engaged but doesn't have the money for a ring that a Charleston socialite would come to expect. Certainly $3,000 could buy an engagement ring in a "lower echelon." But maybe he should have saved the $3,000 to work toward "The Ring."

Now Shep is Cameron's pet project to help become a big boy? #ShepIsTheNewCraig

• Love 1

I don't see anything mystifying about Kathryn's general antipathy toward and suspicion of JD and Elizabeth in the context of the narrative trajectory that has been broadcast over the past three years. Viewers watched as a cultured, erudite, and globe-trotting fifty-year-old ex-con explicitly stated on national television that he hoped his callow, sheltered twenty-one-year-old would get pregnant; audiences were also treated to scenes of said fifty-year-old implicitly promising to support her sans conditions once she delivered his progeny. And, of course, everyone got to behold this middle-aged man getting every bit as drunk on camera as his barely-out-of-teens squeeze; sloppily running into CVS for a disposable urine test to determine whether their blacked-out assignation had resulted in conception of a scion; etc, etc.

Despite all of this footage, the cast and many fans of the program alike somehow devised a formulation by the commencement of season 2 in which a vapid, bar-hopping party girl who couldn't even manage to get home after some all-nighters somehow nefariously "manipulated" a veteran politician, drug dealer, and felon into their state of domestic discontent. Now, the social circle of which both are a part continue to accept Thomas's intoxicated escapades as if a fifty-something frequenting the VIP section of a downtown bar (let alone incurring a black eye there) is somehow normal while crying for smelling salts over the emotional instability of a young adult grappling with the fallout of her admittedly questionable choices.

To me, that is some Twilight Zone-level up-is-down and down-is-up borderline gaslight Kafkaesquery. I'd side-eye JT and Elizabeth, too.

Which is not to say that Kathryn presently wields the linguistic skills, faculties of introspection, or maturity to articulate herself adequately. She's made vague gestures toward her point with the invocations of  the "Scarlet Letter" clichés but that is obviously a pretty elementary analogy for the situation. Ergo, she meltdowns and reaches for the first objectionable element that she can identify (the alcohol).

And as for the idea that she's being intractable with and/or weaponizing custody arrangements. Well, yeah, and that's exactly what Thomas is doing with the financial largesse that he initially assured her; had he his druthers, he would be able to exclude Kathryn from the situation entirely, win primary custody, and not be obligated to provide any support through his children's mother whatsoever.

Good for her for leveraging what she can. He's so insistent that he shouldn't be on the hook for alimony since there was no marriage; but that reality goes both ways. No marriage? The mom has autonomy over the kids produced from the union.

I agree.   Kathryn is immature and unstable, but everyone acting like Thomas is not just as bad (or worse) is driving me bonkers.   Neither one of them has handled any part of this situation as they should have. 

• Love 6

I looked up Monck's Corner. According to Wikipedia, it's a small town but it's grown like over 20 percent in just the past 4 years or so. Which makes me think that her family farmland is either completely unable to get developed, or her parents sold off their development rights, because it makes absolutely no sense to me otherwise that they haven't subdivided that 800 acres for at least some development, because it sounds like Monck's Corner actually is a pretty decent hotbed for development now. I mean, I get that her family land has to be mostly wetlands, but it still sounds absolutely insane to me that there aren't some old tobacco fields they had that can be turned into something. I'm guessing more likely that it's family land pride thing, which probably pisses Kathryn off because they really should be turning a decent profit if they sold their land. (My sister's in-laws refuse to sell their land to development, which also pisses them off.)

I mean, it's lovely land, but it doesn't seem like anyone really wants to farm anymore.

Yes, the entire area has grown so much in the past few years.....they even got a Chick-fil-a out there in Moncks Corner now! ;-) But....the land is owned by Grandma Dennis, not Kathryn's parents....they have a 5-10 acre spot on the property where they built their house about 20 years ago (yes, the brick house shown on the show)...as do a couple other family members. Her grandparents bought the place back in the 70's, renovated the original house, and had it listed on the National Register of Historic Places.....this may affect development. But I don't know that the family necessarily wants to develop it. Lots of it is used for timber now. She's so worried about having a home....I'm sure she could talk Grandma out of a couple of acres to build on. But I know that's not what she wants...she wants to be downtown...or as close as humanly possible.

Edited by SweetCaroline

What makes me even more insane about the continued acceptance of Thomas and icing-out of Kathryn, and the continuation of the "Kathryn is a crazy manipulator" storyline is people ignoring the massive age and power difference between these two individuals. First, Kathryn was, what, 19 when all of this began with Thomas? And she is 22 now? Her brain is literally not even fully developed yet. Most people's frontal lobes, which are involved in "planning, organizing, problem solving, selective attention, personality and a variety of 'higher cognitive functions' including behavior and emotions, are not fully developed until around 25...it's the reason teenagers are functional morons 90% of the time. They have the increasing freedom to make stupid choices in the moment without the mental capacity to fully process the consequences. Unlike Thomas, Kathryn actually has a developmental reason for her poor decision making - and the possibility of growing out of it as she ages and her brain develops (i.e. she matures). Thomas, on the other hand, is well into middle age and has shown himself to be little more than an out-of-control drunk, a (allegedly former?) drug addict, a felon with no remorse for his actions (other than the fact he got caught), narcissistic, self-indulgent and just plain mean. That is WHO HE IS.

Second, I think people ignore the borderline predatory manipulation that Thomas exerted on Kathryn. She was barely over the age of consent, seems to lack a lot of education, and had been raised to believe that being a political wife (and marrying very young like her grandmother ) were her destiny. She seemed to be sort "Fancy-ed" out there by her family who had lost their wealth ("here's your one chance, Fancy don't let me down"). Thomas, saw all of this and used it to get what he wanted - a child. It really has the feeling of way a sexual predator chooses his or her victims (especially in an authoritarian situation). (I am not saying Thomas is a rapist, but I am saying he found someone who would be primed for his influence, and who lacked the life skills or resources to fully evaluate the situation and see it for what it was.)

I do believe at the time Thomas promised Kathryn that he would take care of her if she was pregnant and that she would never want for anything that he meant it. But because he appears to be borderline sociopathic in his lack of conscience, he has no compunction about withdrawing those promises once he got the "scion" that he wanted out of Kathryn, and lording them over her to try to get what he wants out of her. I have no doubts that he preyed upon Kathryn's desperation to live up to her "political wife" destiny to lure her into having a second child. (I also think he preyed upon her genuine belief that she loves Thomas - even if she will someday realize she really doesn't - and to be a nuclear family that will be accepted in Charleston "society") . My heart really breaks for Kathryn in a lot of ways. None of this absolves her of the responsibility for all of her choices, but I do think much more of the onus is on Thomas, the "adult" in the situation who ultimately ended up with what he wanted out of it: two kids from a fertile, young ingenue without shelling out any cash or marriage entanglements. (Notice, Kathryn did not get what she wanted and was promised: her role as a young, well-kept Charleston society wife and mother ... so again, who is the manipulator?)

I would totally understand a bunch of 30 somethings not wanting to hang out with a 22 year-old who engages in normal 22-year-old melodrama while drunk. What I do NOT understand in the acceptance of the 54-year-old, alcoholic felon who is equally tempestuous and violent while drinking, and who as made the same shitty life choices.

Edited by jkitty
  • Love 14

Regarding the green wristbands, my personal theory (based on nothing but me sitting through a boring lecture this morning with nothing else to think about) is that while the cast/production had their own tents and port-a-potty to keep filming away from the actual polo game, as described in the article linked upthread, Kathryn played the pregnant card and went to use the club facilities, which may have issued wristbands to designate members (Thomas is one). Jennifer went to the facilities also because she is Kathryn's therapy dog.

As for Thomas, I don't give him any sort of pass for being a pathetic horny washed-up nasty old drunk felon who should have had the maturity if not the decency not to hook up with a fame/money hungry college-age girl and impregnate her TWICE. T.W.I.C.E. Patricia was right: he's a moron. A sad old moron whose poor choices and inability to control his dick have resulted in two innocent babies being born as props for a reality show. Ugh. His only saving grace is that he doesn't spend his time on my t.v. screen making a loud, trashy spectacle of himself. Comportment goes a long way with me. Also: polo ponies!!!

• Love 8

Regardless of their respective behaviors, Kathryn normally wouldn't be in that milieu of older, more affluent people.

So she had obstacles to begin with and she didn't help herself by sleeping around and then screaming at members of that circle.

• Love 3

His only saving grace is that he doesn't spend his time on my t.v. screen making a loud, trashy spectacle of himself.

Lol so true, I think that's why Kathryn is perceived as worse than Thomas. Although the preview of his end of the season dinner party may push him into the same category!!

• Love 2

What I don't get is why isn't Kathryn's family whispering in her ear that she's making Thomas's case for him? They should be sitting her down and telling her to take her meds if she's on any and if not, then to stop providing fodder for all the tv cameras. Or if they are trying to get her to see reason and she's ignoring them, she's just fame hungry and doesn't care what she's doing to her reputation or her children- which is entirely possible.

Gawker has an interesting article on Thomas today. A very good read and reinforced my own opinions of him- spoiled and useless.

http://gawker.com/thomas-ravenels-southern-gothic-1769445426

Edited by Chicklet
  • Love 6

Anytime Kathryn whines that Thomas promised her this, promised her that, I want to shake her and remind her that he gave her the opportunity to live with him. But she wasn't happy with that arrangement. He moves her into town. She's not happy with that. But now all of a sudden she demands he support her. Thomas could set her up in a mansion with servants, and she'd find a way to screw that up and complain about it as well.

The girl wants a wedding ring. But even then, if that happened, she'd complain. Oh Thomas, what on earth were you thinking?

Absolutely all of this. She wants the ring and him wanting her, but is so damn childish and petty that she threw away her chances with him. I just think he's over her crazy and she knows it. It drives her mad that he will eventually get married, and some other women will have her "life".

Everytime, I post about how messed up Katherine is, I have to also post that I think Thomas is a terrible person. He is not the kind of man I'd ever want or want anyone I love involved with. Patricia is also imo a snobby rude classsist, (I can find her funny at times) . Whitney is also seems like a miserable human.

Saying all that, that is how much Katherine annoys me, I would rather watch Thomas, Patricia or Whitney .... If your the least likable of that small group, girl you're messed up.

Eta: I do think Katherine will be fine. when she eventually get Thomas out of system, she'll find a rich man. She is stunning she just needs time to be over Thomas. She will still be crazy and throw fits when she doesn't get her way, (because I don't really think it's her age and just who she is, I could be wrong *shrugs*)

I'm sure she'll find someone to get her a big house and invites into great parties.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 1

Some speculated that the wristbands were possibly either for the polo match or a hospital. I disagree. Not only were the others not wearing wristbands, but the polo match was at T-Rav's plantation, so I don't see why they would need wristbands to get in.

I have no idea about the wristbands but as pointed out above the polo match was not at Thomas's plantation it was at the Aiken Polo Club .

• Love 2

I don't find Kath that attractive. She has clear eyelashes and eyebrows. She has the type of skin that damages easily so will start to show all the sun damage, dehydration, and broken blood vessels and capillaries when she's in her 30's.

• Love 5

I agree that Kathryn acts like a petulant child...in part because she practically is a child. Some 22 year olds are capable of great maturity and sound judgment. Kathryn is not one of them. It's mostly sad for the children but I think there is hope that Kathryn can grown it of her antics (probably not with Bravo lining her pockets to encourage them though). Maybe in time for her children to not remember much of her drama. I agree her best-case scenario is to meet another guy who actually loves her and is a healthy relationship for her so she gets over Thomas.

Thomas, however, will not grow out of his bad behavior. He is a violent drunk and felon who has DUIs (at least one), prison time, has been video taped yelling at people naked, accused of assault, and who preys on barely legal young women. The guy is vile.

It's not so much that I am "team Kathryn" but I see her behavior has having the potential to dissipate with time. Really I don't think we have seen anything too awful from her this season (yet). She got snippy when Thomas said "we" (implying someone else was involved) decided to change the nursery decor and he wanted to touch her (I would have told him to GTFO) and she left the polo match (really bc JD and his wife were there, she knows they hate her but will pretend they do not trash her behind her back, and she went under the promise of a "family day" with Thomas but it clearly was not.) It didn't seem like she was flipping tables or throwing punches to me. She just kinda left in a huff, no? She didn't even have a confrontation with anyone. She was just upset Thomas lied to her and she left. Thomas was the one stripping and throwing his shirt in a tantrum.

Edited by jkitty
  • Love 2

How sad, I just saw on Jennifer Snowden's Twitter that her unborn baby has been diagnosed with brain encephaloces (?) and to please pray. I feel so badly for her. She seems like a very sweet person. :(

• Love 1

I don't get why some feel that Shep should settle down.  How can he settle down when it looks like he doesn't want to and why do people think that settling down is this magic pill that will make people child grow up?  Maybe Shep needs to grow up first and then, if he wants to, settle down.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 11

I don't get why some feel that Shep should settle down. How can he settle down when it looks like he doesn't want to and why do people think that settling down is this magic pill that will make people child grow up? Maybe Shep needs to grow up first and then, if he wants to, settle down.

You are right. For me at least, the "grow up" is implied in settle down. Heck, if he would just grow up I would be on board - with or without a partner. When I say settle down, really I see the inverse Of Thomas or Mathew McConaughey in Dazed in Confused... Getting older while the women stay the same age. At some point it just gets weird. Plus just the idea of binge drinking until the wee hours of the morning and chasing ass in my mid 30s give me a headache. So yeah, I guess I DGAF if Shep gets married, but at some point he needs to mature a bit beyond sleeping until 11:00 everyday bc he has been out with 20 year olds until 4:00 am? Ugh, I just realized I actually don't care at all lol.

Edited by jkitty

I found the most offensive and laughable scene to be TRav in his bathroom shirtless using a pink clarisonic....!

Totally!! Hey T-Rav, Clarisonic won't work properly if you use it like a shaving brush. Duh!! Either it was left behind by Kathryn or left behind by another ahem lady friend. Edited by RedDelicious
  • Love 2

Just to set the record straight, Thomas is currently 53 years old and Kathryn is 24 (not 22). She got involved with Thomas when she was 21, not 19.

Otherwise, I'm not disagreeing with anyone's comments above.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 4