Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Hold Your Horses

• Start Topic

Her priorities are all out of whack though.

And I certainly don't blame it on her age or her hormones---she's made scenes and stormed out of parties/events in a huff from the first episode or two she appeared on this show.

Yes, Thomas may be just as much of a partier/boozer as she is, but he also doesn't conduct himself like that in public and he doesn't have "primary custody" of Kensington((as Kathryn repeatedly reminds everyone when she's mad as a wet hen)).

He's tried to at least see Kensie more, but Kathryn is obviously the type who only wants visitation on HER terms and will selfishly deny him time with his daughter if it doesn't agree with HER.

I certainly do hope Thomas has gone to bat finally and gotten a court order for more visitation/joint custody of those poor babies---this seems like such a hopeless situation, especially since KiKi is such a loose cannon who really just wants the good life and a good time for herself.

• Love 5

I am confused as to why Kathryn thought a polo match would be just a 'family' day for her, Thomas, and Kensie. It's almost like she expected no one else to attend. And the freakout about Kensie being around alcohol was bullshit. Kathryn slurs every other word and Thomas looks like he drinks vodka for breakfast, so I doubt Kensie hasn't been around drinking in general.

I kind of feel bad for Landon. She seems pretty depressed to me.

• Love 7

I did love Landon's dad letting her know that those weren't real ideas and he wasn't just going to give her money. Landon's only real calling/business idea is to be the wife of a guy rich enough to indulge her ridiculous whims.

Her ideas remind me of a friend who when I was leaving med school suggested the following careers as alternatives: astronaut, TV talkshow host, and supermodel. I responded "if these were viable options, I wouldn't have gone to med school."

Landon needs money now! And her money making ideas are a members only bourbon bar and a lifestyle magazine for gentleman of means?!? These ideas are so ludicrous that I question if Landon knows how money works or what work is. This dumbbell is trying to live a Whitney lifestyle on a Craig budget.

I question Landon's intelligence when she brought that up.  A magazine.  Today?  Does she understand how many little trains that couldn't are trying to pull an online magazine up that steep grade.  Don't even get me started on how stupid it would be to even think a printed magazine devoted to a lifestyle for men of means would be.  The bourbon bar wasn't better.  Since her ideas are essentially aimed at pretending to be an independent woman but wanting to meet and hook a rich second husband it seems to me, she should just ask daddy to shell out the money for one of those weird signs you see all over the south still, the arrow with the flashing lights

(http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/roadside-sign-arrow-ready-your-text-35154525.jpg) and have it read "for long term lease, considerable outlay for maintenance required, only slightly used".  I find her offensive in that I think she see this show as a means to simply try marrying well a second go.

Forgot to add.  Patricia must be really feeling her oats.  She got a book deal.  You know that came from being on the show. 

There are many things I enjoy about Patricia and her southern ways but less so as the seasons go on.  Her statements about her son's perfection isn't one of them.  But let's face it.  Patrica is a player just much as everyone else is.   She's (deleted) a fame whore on a realty show.

Sorry I had to change that simply so it was correct reading for me.

Edited by tenativelyyours
  • Love 4

It's very sad for Katherine. I hope she learns something from watching herself.

Flamingo parties were a thing in my town years ago. It was a Jimmy Buffet thing here. Nineties; we'll all be rich and living in Florida.

• Love 5

The saddest thing at the Polo Match was seeing how excited Kensie was to be there and all the people who love her and then how her mom very selfishly took that away. No matter what was going on with my child's father and me, my priority is always the happiness of my child and to have him around people who love him. This is the ultimate reason I can't tolerate Kathryn. It's not about Kensie for Kathryn. On a lesser level, is Jennifer her damn servant? What does Jennifer get in return? I wouldn't last in that friendship for more than an hour.

• Love 19

Wow, Kathryn seems so unbalanced. What the hell.  We all know TRav is a slimeball but if I had to pick one of them to live with, I would definitely pick Thomas. Poor Kensie and poor new baby. 

• Love 2

Unless he's a total F-up with his own money. I think Thomas can afford to make Kathryn's house payments. His credit will be just fine.

And if he gets payment confirmations sent to him he'll know pretty much right away whether she makes the payments or not. So, again I don't see his credit going down the crapper. He could probably just buy her the house.

I thought he was co-signing on a rental? There's no way she could get a mortgage. He obviously has good credit or he wouldn't be able to buy the real estate he has. Kathryn knows this and knows he will pay her rent if she misses a payment because he wants to keep his credit in tact. Smart move, Kathryn. That's one way to get more money out of him. 

Anyway, Kathryn is what, 24 yrs. old?  She can't get a rental of her own without any co-signer? Does she not have any past rental history? employment history? credit history?  What exactly has she been doing with her life? Oh, forgot, making babies with a wealthy drunken ex-con.

One other thing that bugged me, she left the polo match in Jennifers car but had Kenzie go with the nanny. Why couldn't she take her kid with her? I get the impression she's not a very hands on mom. I'm sure Thomas is paying the nanny's salary on top of the $3,000 per month so she's getting a pretty good deal. She needs to shut the fuck up.

• Love 5

I love JD and his wife and JD's laugh.  They were a much-needed source of warmth in that horrible polo scene. 

imjagain, on 18 Apr 2016 - 10:38 PM, said:

I really had no idea why Kathryn was pissed. She was angry at JD and his wife, but why? I keep going back to all these people were Thomas's friends before she came around, so, I don't get her anger. Did she expect everyone to drop TR, because she such a freaking pleasure?!

This!   I almost felt like there HAD to be more going on that what we were shown because.... huh?? I was seriously befuddled at her anger and anxiety. She's having a panic attack in the car because Kensie's 2 kind and loving godparents are at the polo match? So much WTF-ery here.  

Kathryn, I kind of-sort of half-heartedly felt bad for you - and even stuck up for a few times in the past.  But no more, honey.  You're on your own. Now, please don't take that as me being on T-Rav's side.  I'm so far from his side that it's barely visible through a telescope.  But you're both selfish fools who will wonder one day why neither of your kids talk to you. 

Scrubs or no scrubs, I'm half-way hoping Nanny Lynn kidnaps the kids and takes them away from this madness..  Or-better yet--JD and his wife adopt them.  Hey they already have 4 kids--what's 2 more?? ;)

mbaywife123, on 18 Apr 2016 - 11:08 PM, said:

Good on Patricia for not giving into TRav or "production" about inviting Kathryn to the pink flamingo party.
It will be interesting to see if Kathryn crashes the party.

The previews seem to indicate that she does not.  But Jennifer does get booted for sticking up for her.  Or something to that affect.

• Love 7

WTF is he gonna look like by the time he's Thomas's age.? Yikes!

He'll look just like his mom. Rough as a cob.

JD's laugh is the best! I love his comments and his bow ties. 

• Love 1

I love his laugh!! At the end of every one of his THs, there's this belly laugh that makes me laugh. Watch for it.

Yep, this is what made it SO CLASSIC! His laugh is just hilarious, and more often than not I find him laughing at something that I can totally get behind so it makes me laugh as well.

• Love 2

The saddest thing at the Polo Match was seeing how excited Kensie was to be there and all the people who love her and then how her mom very selfishly took that away. No matter what was going on with my child's father and me, my priority is always the happiness of my child and to have him around people who love him. This is the ultimate reason I can't tolerate Kathryn. It's not about Kensie for Kathryn. On a lesser level, is Jennifer her damn servant? What does Jennifer get in return? I wouldn't last in that friendship for more than an hour.

I agree. When she got mad that JD's wife was trying to engage Kensie and complained that that JD and his wife hadn't been around in months, I kept thinking - dude, they don't want to deal with you! If Kensie came without the nagging, angry mother, I'm sure they'd pop up more often.

I gave Kathryn a pass last season because I know she's very young. I was hoping she'd turn it around with time, but she's just so angry. Even when she cried to Thomas about needing him to cosign for her to get a home, I didn't see a genuine, vulnerable moment.

• Love 8

I'm starting to feel bad for Jennifer - she gets all dressed up, soups up the Maserati (WTF - lucky girl!!!!), drives with Kathryn over two hours to go wherever (Craig's new house or TRav's farm/plantation home), and then, winds up leaving after being at the event for about ten minutes.  Poor girl doesn't ever seem to get a chance to finish a glass of wine!   

What was interesting--or baffling--to me was that the polo match was in Aiken, SC, near our border with Georgia.  So Kathryn and Jennifer drive to Aiken from Moncks Corner, and then she tells the nanny to drive Kenzie back to her parents' place in Moncks Corner?  Ay yi yi.

By the way, here is an article from the Aiken Standard at the time of filming:

http://www.aikenstandard.com/article/20150929/AIK0101/150929296

“She (Dennis) wasn’t there for super long; she left pretty early,” said Katherine Thomas, who is the Aiken Polo Club’s social director.

• Love 1

One other thing that bugged me, she left the polo match in Jennifers car but had Kenzie go with the nanny. Why couldn't she take her kid with her? I get the impression she's not a very hands on mom. I'm sure Thomas is paying the nanny's salary on top of the $3,000 per month so she's getting a pretty good deal. She needs to shut the fuck up.

I thought maybe the nanny was taking Kenzie to Thomas's house in Brookland and Kathryn and Jennifer were going back to Charleston?  So much confusion for such a short polo match!

• Love 3

Did Kathryn think Thomas had invited her and Kensie to a polo match at which there would not be anyone else in attendance?  That was so strange!  Something must have gone down with JD and Elizabeth, and we're just not getting the whole story.  Which is sad, because those two are the most stable people Kensington has in her life. 

For the poster who asked what she was wearing, it was a traditional smocked dress, very very popular for children in some circles in the South.  Apparently that particular style is called a "bishop."  If this show goes another season I have no doubt will see the young Master Ravenal in a bubble or a shortall

• Love 9

Jennifer said it was a 2 hour ride to the polo match. I felt so bad for poor Kensie riding all that way and then almost immediately have to go for another long car ride. She could have left Kensie for a visit with her dad and godparents. Plus, the nanny was there. Kathryn just cannot get over that Thomas does not want to have the happy little family with her. She is so angry and bitter (and immature).

Why are Thomas's ears so big this season? He looks like a chimp!

Edited by olivia1
  • Love 7

I am new to this show, and I am loving it, if for no other reasons than the following: 1. Gorgeous homes - most of the people on this show actually live in stunning, interesting homes that don't look as if they are all Coto de Caza clones. 2. Decent vocabularies used correctly (exception for Thomas's perfectly bizarre French). 3. Some of them have (gasp) jobs that they appear to not only enjoy, but do well at. They also are not ALL flogging these jobs to perdition and back.  With that said, if someone could explain Shep's attractiveness to me, I would be interested. Who has not met guys like this before? Even when I was a young college thing, those were guys who practically had a flashing red "douchebag" light over their heads. Maybe he was more adorable in earlier seasons, but what I've seen of him this year has been kind of pathetic, and definitely clueless. If anyone has anything that would explain Thomas, that would help, too. He appears to be squirming unhappily at this point in a bed of his own making. It's impossible to feel sorry for him, but it does illustrate clearly that people will overlook a wealthy man's pecadilloes, while placing all the blame squarely on the shoulders of the wildly emotional 22-year-old who has to live directly with the consequences. Yikes. I can hardly wait to see all the rest of the episodes that lead us up to another Bravo dinner party from hell. Looks scrumptious.

• Love 6

That polo club can't be too chi chi if they have porta potties for the guests.

BTW, Thomas had mosaic bathroom tiles in his entry, just inside the front door?

• Love 4

Did Kathryn think Thomas had invited her and Kensie to a polo match at which there would not be anyone else in attendance?  That was so strange!  Something must have gone down with JD and Elizabeth, and we're just not getting the whole story.  Which is sad, because those two are the most stable people Kensington has in her life. 

For the poster who asked what she was wearing, it was a traditional smocked dress, very very popular for children in some circles in the South.  Apparently that particular style is called a "bishop."  If this show goes another season I have no doubt will see the young Master Ravenal in a bubble or a shortall

The dress was beautiful just way too long.

That polo club can't be too chi chi if they have porta potties for the guests.

BTW, Thomas had mosaic bathroom tiles in his entry, just inside the front door?

I'm hoping this will be part of the renovation?

Random thoughts….

1) Landon wants to do a magazine, but it's Patricia who gets a book deal. Poor Landon. (not really, but she's just another reality person who doesn't know how to HUSTLE UP OTHER GIGS! Nene Leakes and Bethenney Frankel -- PLEASE teach a course to your other reality star wannabes.

2) Shep is NOT all that. He should get his teeth fixed -- again. And correctly this time.
3) If I had it I MIGHT pay big money to have Michael tell me about ALL the behavior he's seen and dirt he knows. Didn't Patricia sort of marry her way to money. So she's just an arrogant, bitchy hypocrite on that score.
4) I still don't' get why Craig paid JD
5) Love Cameran……noticed know Whitney. I like him enough that I would like to see him in every episode.

6) All the talk from Thomas and others about how he wants to see Kenzie. And yeah, I get that that is important. But we all know that Kensie can be with Thomas and he won't spend any real QUALITY time with her. If he has the nanny how much time to you REALLY see him spending with her. Holding her up and saying "coo-chie, coo-chie-coo" isn't quality PARENTING time (IMO)

So let's see…
--Thomas speaking: "Hey, Kensie want a toy? He hands it to her and gives her to the nanny and THEY (the nanny and Kensie) go play.
-- He's playing with her and she poops or pees. He calls the nanny, and the nanny changes her. But Thomas and Kensie never finishing their play time.
-- Kensie needs to eat..the NANNY fixes the food, and likely feeds her also.

So I'm not buying this I want to spend more time with my kid routine. When she's there how much time will he actually spending WITH HER. As opposed to she's there and he's not interacting with her that much anyway because the nanny does almost everything. I get that any amount of time she's "at her dad's house" -- and that's how I'll put it….is better than none. But let's not act like he really wants to raise Kensie. She'd be raised by a nanny and he'd be a pop-in, spend money on her dad. Because he thinks giving kids MONEY and fake quality time is actually being a parent. Even now I don't' think he wants to be a parent. But he's trapped into it.

​And all of Kathryn's…"I don't' want the kids to be impressed with dad's house and hate coming home because your house is better"…just STOP it!

Edited by selhars
  • Love 1

Then Kathryn goes on a tangent about alcohol at the event ( she was probably pissed because she couldn't partake on film herself because of the bun in the oven).

Even after JD's wife told her that they would remove anthing that was making her uncomfortable she still stormed off.

What I do not understand is that her friend was drinking and carrying the drink around even while Kathryn was having her meltdown at the polo event.  If this were my friend and knew she was not allowing her child to be around alcohol, I would not get a drink for myself.  However, this is likely just an excuse of the day to meltdown.  No way it was their first time around alcohol either....  *sigh*

OMG I absolutely LOVE JD. When he did the TH and said "I have no idea what Katheryn is upset about, but I'd be lying if I said I had never seen this before...so heeere we go again, bwahahahaha" I laughed my ass off.

JD is hilarious...  I am glad we saw more of him this episode.

• Love 4

So, Pat gets a deal for a book about being a perfect hostess and throwing unforgettable parties yet informs the professional party planner that pictures will be taken for said book? Shouldn't the party planner get the credit and not Pat? Reminds me of Yolanda "designing" glass book shelves. 

• Love 5

I've been in Kathryn's shoes as far as the JD and Elizabeth situation goes, so while I think she completely overreacted, I got where she was coming from.  When she and Thomas were together and good, they likely hung out with them a lot.  She probably though of Elizabeth as a real friend (something she seems to be lacking in) rather than a couple's friend.  If she told things to Elizabeth in confidence when things weren't good, I'm guessing they got back to Thomas, and she saw it as them taking his side.  When a potential legal battle is brewing, you have to know who your friends are and who your enemies are.  It's my guess that something we're not privy to happened that put them squarely in the enemy corner in her mind.  It doesn't mean they aren't good people, but they were TRav's friends first and are going to stick with him. 

As to Craig and the promise ring, I think price tag-wise he knows that it needed to be in a certain range since her family is well off.  If he bought her some rinky-dink piece (although she probably would have been just as happy) he might have felt that it sent a message to her parents that he wouldn't be a good provider, or that he wasn't serious.

• Love 4

Regarding the green wrist bands that both Kathryn and Jennifer were wearing:  Neither one was wearing one when they left the house and during the drive to the polo match.  The green bands showed up when they arrived.  So I don't think the green bracelets had anything to do with being out partying the night before. 

My theory is that on the way there Kathryn may have had a problem and they stopped at a hospital or clinic and thus the green bands.  Especially since in the preview for next week, we find out that Kathryn was admitted to the hospital for bleeding.  Something may started medically before or on the way to the polo match and they stopped and was checked out and told her it's probably nothing but keep a watch on the situation.  It then got worse later or the next day.

Why didn't they film it?  Maybe Kathryn demanded it not be filmed.  I could get that.  That also could explain why she was so upset at the polo match. 

Lastly, why didn't both Kathryn and Jennifer take the bracelets off.  Probably because they didn't have a scissor.  Some of those bracelets do not tear easily, especially the medical ones.

Edited by breezy424

Another thing that bothered me - what the hell was Kenzie wearing to the polo match? She is a beautiful child, but that washed out prairie dress thing made me think of poor little Carrie Ingalls, in a hand-me-down dress, tripping and falling down the hill in the opening credits of Little House on the Prairie!!

Was that a ploy of Kathryn's, to give the perception that she, alone, can't afford anything prettier or cuter for Kenzie, because Thomas is being such an asshole?

Was it an old child's dress she found in a trunk in the family plantation home's attic that was worn by some long ago Dennis progeny?

Or is it just Kathryn's less than stellar fashion sense? Now that I think about it, maybe that's truly what it is - she doesn't dress herself very well, so maybe that's just rubbing off on the clothes she buys for Kenzie.

Those smocked dresses are actually quite popular in the South right now and can be quite expensive. The most popular brands are Matilda Jane, Eleanor Rose, Well Dressed Wolf, and Southern Tots. These dresses are anywhere between $60-$150 depending on what company you buy from. My daughter is 6 and she wears this clothing but not the smocked dresses as they are more for toddlers. On HGTV's Fixer Upper, Joanna Gaines's daughters wear Matilda Jane and so do Jessica Robertson's daughters on Duck Dynasty. It really is a thing in the South.

• Love 3

That was me asking about the dress.  I usually love smocked dresses on little girls, but that one just seemed tired.  The color was very muted (it almost looked faded from too many washings), and it seemed to be way too big and long for her tiny little body.  That is why I questioned it.  I realize they were driving for two hours, and I'm sure Kensie was a hot, sweaty mess sitting in that car seat for that long, so it was probably the coolest thing (temperature-wise) for Kensie to wear, but, personally, I probably would go for something more colorful.  

I'm weird like that about baby/toddler girl clothes.  I hate seeing little "mini-me" outfits of black with skulls on them, camo fabric, dull, muted tones, or anything that a "cool/hipster" type Mom would wear, just shrunken down for a 12-24 month old.  I prefer more "girly-type" baby girl clothing.  Lots of pinks, purples, yellows, and....dare I say it....even periwinkle!!  ;-)

• Love 4

Six days per month with Kensie:   $2500

Promise ring for the girlfriend from a rich family:  $2500-3000.

Snarking on the above and much more:  Priceless!

• Love 4

The green wristbands were probably what they had to wear to show they'd paid to be at the polo match. I was at an event this past weekend where we all had different colored bands depending on where we parked and who got to ride the shuttle. Not that she would have "paid" since the show is about the polo match.

Hospital bands are white with writing on them, for the most part.

• Love 4

Kathryn was psycho crazy on this episode. I seriously believe that something is mentally wrong with her other than being spoiled, but I also believe there is a whole lot more to the story than what was shown.. I am seriously curious as to what has gone down between Kathhryn and JD/wife.

• Love 3

I definitely felt as if some information was left out for Kathryn to go nutz like she did before she even got out of the car!!!  Bravo wants Kathryn to look nutz but then again she sure gives them the material.  At the polo match Kensie looked like a hot sweaty balding mess of a baby who made a run for it the first opening she saw.  She will probably wrap her belongings in a bandana, attach it to a stick, and climb out the window and run away from home when she hits six years old.  

Why is Landon acting so depressed? Yeah, her marriage broke up but she got herself a role on Southern Charm for which she gets paid!! I'd say that's a pretty good recovery. Isn't there a cute neighborhood or suburb in Charleston where she could set up a business and, by virtue of being known because she's on the show, have a head start with her marketing/advertising, etc? I just don't get why she'd be depressed and I certainly don't get why she'd sleep with TRav.  If she did, she was obviously just after his money too.  Like I said last week, she should be the one going into real estate with Cameran.  

• Love 8

So, Pat gets a deal for a book about being a perfect hostess and throwing unforgettable parties yet informs the professional party planner that pictures will be taken for said book? Shouldn't the party planner get the credit and not Pat? Reminds me of Yolanda "designing" glass book shelves.

Yep. All party planners in this day and age need to have some stipulations in contracts about who gets to use promotional pictures of his events. Those kinds of things are agreed to all the time.

I think price tag-wise he knows that it needed to be in a certain range since her family is well off.

Which to me would be a telling sign about people's priorities and values. Money spent on a ring has nothing to do with loving a person and being able to provide for them.

If a person normally shops at a given price point that's one thing. But to intentionally set a price point about a ring having to cost xxx amount of money is beyond shallow.  (Not that that is what was implied. Just my opinion on it) Reminds me of the immaturity of being more concerned about how BIG the stone is versus the love of the person giving you the damned ring. My thought is if she comes from money she doesn't need Craig to buy her an impressive ring. I'd be more concerned about the love he has more me than the material possession of a ring. Personally, I've seen $50.00 rings I love….and $1,500 rings I didn't like. It's not about the money.

The green wristbands were probably what they had to wear to show they'd paid to be at the polo match.

That's whatI thought. You likely had to pay to be on the grounds.

It's interesting to see speculation go waaay off somewhere. when an explanation could be quite simple and is likely just routine.

Edited by selhars
  • Love 1

So is Cameran amused & charmed by ole bug-eyed Horseteeth Shep's revolting lifestyle -- or is she repulsed by him (as I am)?  Honestly, I can't tell.  Just plaster that hair down, Horseteeth, cuz otherwise you look like Charlie Manson.  Sheesh, how drunk do these young dopey chicks have to be to hook up with Horseteeth?  My hunch is very, very, very drunk.

Craig & the idiotic way he dresses . . . does he realize what a buffoon he looks like, or does he totally not get it?  I'm thinkin' he doesn't have a clue that he looks like a moron. 

JD makes me shudder.  Something very scuzzy & sinister about him.  I wouldn't give him 6 cents, let alone 15 thou.  "As long as Craig does what I tell him to do, we'll be fine."  So Craig, you fool, WTF did you get yourself involved with?

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 3

​And all of Kathryn's…"I don't' want the kids to be impressed with dad's house and hate coming home because your house is better"…just STOP it!

Really. It's the love, time and attention and what kind of a role model you are to your young child that matters to them. Not if mommy's house is as nice as daddy's house. Unless of course you plan on raising an ungrateful brat who only cares about the material things in life.  Kathryn has a lot to learn. 

• Love 3

It's telling how TRav brags about how little money he is giving Kathryn and he made the point to the nanny that he doesn't HAVE to give her anything, and that she is acting like they were married, but there was no marriage. He is very aware that he is getting a "good deal." A beautiful baby momma, two kids, and he isn't paying for her nor does she have any rights to anything he has. I think he very shrewd with money, very business-like, and knows that marriage is not a financially viable option for him. He's definitely gloating. 

• Love 2

I think Craig is emulating JD in the way he dresses. I felt sorry for Landon. She seems lost. I think she knows where she wants to be she's just not smart enough to get there. But, smarter than Kathryn.

• Love 1

Kathryn is a warning to gold-digging chicks everywhere -- don't play it the way she has.  She's an idiot.  That's it.

Eh, don't ask me to feel sorry for whiny Landon.  She landed this gig (on the show).  She's doing just fine & dandy.  She's a flake.  And a lazy one too.  Seems like everyone on here is so lazy & allergic to actually working.  WTF?

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 8
Like I said last week, [Landon] should be the one going into real estate with Cameran.

Landon would have to understand real estate in order to sell it.  Landon doesn't seem particularly rooted in the real world of money and value and mortgages and PMI and cracked foundations.  She has as much chance of getting a practical job as Whitney has of opening a restaurant...sure, it's possible, but they won't do it.

I don't understand why she doesn't get immersed with charity organizations, which would allow her to do something useful and she might meet a rich donor to marry.  But then, again, maybe I do get it.  All her ideas of what to do for money were extremely frivolous and useless; that's where her head is rather than on helping others.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 4

Regarding the green wrist bands that both Kathryn and Jennifer were wearing:  Neither one was wearing one when they left the house and during the drive to the polo match.  The green bands showed up when they arrived.  So I don't think the green bracelets had anything to do with being out partying the night before. 

My theory is that on the way there Kathryn may have had a problem and they stopped at a hospital or clinic and thus the green bands.  Especially since in the preview for next week, we find out that Kathryn was admitted to the hospital for bleeding.  Something may started medically before or on the way to the polo match and they stopped and was checked out and told her it's probably nothing but keep a watch on the situation.  It then got worse later or the next day.

Why didn't they film it?  Maybe Kathryn demanded it not be filmed.  I could get that.  That also could explain why she was so upset at the polo match. 

Lastly, why didn't both Kathryn and Jennifer take the bracelets off.  Probably because they didn't have a scissor.  Some of those bracelets do not tear easily, especially the medical ones.

You're right - I stand corrected.  Just watching a rerun now, and both Kathryn and Jennifer are wearing the green bracelets at the polo field, but they were not wearing them during the filming we saw of their drive to the polo field.  :-)

Interesting theory you have - I guess maybe we'll know more next week!

Another interesting thing I noticed on a re-watch - When Kathryn was "crying" to Thomas on the phone about being excluded from the flamingo party, and in his talking head, he said he realizes that (paraphrasing here) Kathryn is kind of bat-shit crazy, but he will not allow her behaviors to exclude his children from anything.

Firstly, Patricia's party is for adults, not children, so that comment made no sense.  Especially given that Patricia has no young children or grandchildren, and with Whitney as her only offspring, it could be either a very, very long time, or never, before she does have any grandchildren.

Secondly, he reminded me of Rhett Butler, taking little Bonnie Blue out without Scarlett, and sucking up to all the old biddy matriarchs, so that Bonnie would be invited to all the "right" parties, in spite of Scarlett's antics.  (I know, I know - I have watched GWTW waaay too many times!!)    ;-)

Lastly, I love the idea of a flamingo party, and am coming up with ideas in my head for this summer!   

• Love 6

Landon is one of those bohemian artsy people that I used to see at Grateful Dead shows back in the day. The main difference being that they genuinely didn't care about material things and were happy in their existence. She wants to be free and flighty and have all the finer things too. Life doesn't work like that. Pick a lane.

• Love 6

I totally agree with your whole post - especially the part about putting our kids' happiness above our comfort.  I can't see that ever being the case with this whackjob. So sad for the kiddos. 

As for the bolded part, I've asked myself the same question and the only answer I can come up with is it is guaranteed camera time.  (Wouldn't be worth it to me even if it meant I had my own show!)  I can't even stand the few minutes a week she's on my screen.  

Edited by straightshooter
  • Love 3

Craig & the idiotic way he dresses . . . does he realize what a buffoon he looks like, or does he totally not get it?  I'm thinkin' he doesn't have a clue that he looks like a moron. 

I think Craig is emulating JD in the way he dresses. I felt sorry for Landon. She seems lost. I think she knows where she wants to be she's just not smart enough to get there. But, smarter than Kathryn.

We've spent some time in Charleston and also in other parts of SC (college towns) recently, and quite a few young men, under 30, are dressing very similarly to the way Craig and JD dresses (not that JD is anywhere near 30 anymore).  

It's kind of "Mad Men" 60's style mixed with modern day preppy blended with a southern color pallette.  

• Love 3

I kinda like the way JD dresses -- with the bowties & the hats.  He looks snappy.  Craig just looks like a silly buffoon to me, especially with that ridiculous slicked down hair.  But they both look better than ole Horseteeth, who always looks like he just got outta bed -- at 4 in the afternoon.  Ew.  Sorry Shep lovers, but I can't stomach this a-hole.  It's like he's ready for a nursing home at 35.  Makes me nauseous.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 4

First, what was that ring that Craig bought?  I hope it looks better in person, because it looked like costume jewelry to me.  $3000 for a costume jewelry looking ring?  I don't blame Craig for trying to seal the deal, Cam is right, this is basically his chance to secure a wealthy girl.  He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who actually wants to work hard, and I'm guessing he thinks he'll get Shep's life (minus all the women) if he sticks with his girlfriend.  Funny thing is, father-in-laws generally don't take kindly to son-in-laws that don't provide for their precious daughters.

Landon, ugh.  We get you're depressed, your life hasn't worked out the way you thought it would (welcome to the club).  You married the rich guy, but you were bored.  You didn't have any kids, so you got a "small" settlement.  You're still asking daddy for money, yet somehow you afford to live on Thomas' street.  Why are we supposed to feel sorry for you?  At least her dad was trying to give her a wakeup call.

Patricia brings some validity to the show, but a flamingo party?  Sounds so tacky.  But I love her house. And her Butler.

Cam and Shep in business together?  Sounds like a recipe for disaster, but I'm guessing Shep's parents have had a talk with him and expect him to do "something."  Cam's idea of him being her assistant is dumb.  It's more likely she'll do all the work and he'll get part of her commission.

The Thomas and Kathryn situation is sad enough without having that Polo match recorded.  Their situation is real and it really affects their kids.  I think the show went too far by showing Kathryn's (staged?) breakdown at the match with Kenzie toddling around.  That poor kid is going to end up seeing that at some point and it will have an effect on her.  I really hope there's a social worker involved in their case.  And maybe Kathryn is creating drama for the show, although it didn't seem like when you heard from JD and Elizabeth.  It sure looked like Thomas was giving in on everything in order to spend time with Kenzie.

Edited by scenicbyway
  • Love 2

First, what was that ring that Craig bought?  I hope it looks better in person, because it looked like costume jewelry to me.  $3000 for a costume jewelry looking ring?  I don't blame Craig for trying to seal the deal, Cam is right, this is basically his chance to secure a wealthy girl.  He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who actually wants to work hard, and I'm guessing he thinks he'll get Shep's life (minus all the women) if he sticks with his girlfriend.  Funny thing is, father-in-laws generally don't take kindly to son-in-laws that don't provide for their precious daughters.

Landon, ugh.  We get you're depressed, your life hasn't worked out the way you thought it would (welcome to the club).  You married the rich guy, but you were bored.  You didn't have any kids, so you got a "small" settlement.  You're still asking daddy for money, yet somehow you afford to live on Thomas' street.  Why are we supposed to feel sorry for you?  At least her dad was trying to give her a wakeup call.

Patricia brings some validity to the show, but a flamingo party?  Sounds so tacky.  But I love her house. And her Butler.

Cam and Shep in business together?  Sounds like a recipe for disaster, but I'm guessing Shep's parents have had a talk with him and expect him to do "something."  Cam's idea of him being her assistant is dumb.  It's more likely she'll do all the work and he'll get part of her commission.

The Thomas and Kathryn situation is sad enough without having that Polo match recorded.  Their situation is real and it really affects their kids.  I think the show went too far by showing Kathryn's (staged?) breakdown at the match with Kenzie toddling around.  That poor kid is going to end up seeing that at some point and it will have an effect on her.  I really hope there's a social worker involved in their case.  And maybe Kathryn is creating drama for the show, although it didn't seem like when you heard from JD and Elizabeth.  It sure looked like Thomas was giving in on everything in order to spend time with Kenzie.

I think that is the point - even knowing that lawn flamingos and inflatable flamingos are extremely tacky, you embrace the tackiness and have fun with it!  

• Love 1

So glad my guilty pleasure is back on!

There are quite a few men here in Charleston who cultivate that bow-tie and bright pants looks....Craig's look is slightly more flamboyant than others, though. You'll see it a lot at garden parties and especially at horse races.

Kathryn consistently shoots herself in the foot. She's desperate to be a part of the downtown socialites and has been going about it wrong since day one. Her first mistake was trying to bang her way up the social ladder. She doesn't seem to realize that it's the WOMEN who control the social scene here....she should have cultivated friendships there first and she would have eventually been introduced to some moneyed fellow who'd wife her up. She could have caught her one of these rich out-of-towners who buys a big house on the Battery and added her name to his money and, voila!...she's dressing in caftans and pushing doggy strollers down King Street. As it stands, she has no one to blame but herself and her actions for being ostracized. I wonder how close she'll remain with Jennifer when she has her baby.

I don't actually recall Thomas saying "family day". He said "come to the polo match and bring Kensie and we'll go to the beach the following day". I don't understand why he doesn't buy her a house in Summerville or Moncks Corner....she could get a house comparable in size and amenities as Mount Pleasant for 1/2 to 3/4 of the price she'd pay there. Then she wouldn't have to worry about her children thinking mommy's home is a slum. And Summerville is 20 minutes to downtown and her parents home.

I've got one word for Landon: Prozac. Or maybe: Job.

Edited by SweetCaroline
  • Love 3

I just thought of something. Thomas is trying to get custody of the kids by saying Kathryn is unstable and using drugs. He's got the perfect thing to present to the judge. All of her scenes acting crazy. But last night was definitely all on her, there was no reason to act that way.

The only thing I can figure is that JD and Elizabeth may be siding with Thomas, and might have said things about Kathryn's mood swings or whatever. That sort of thing gets back to Kathryn and she's ready to wage war. Or she's like Yolanda Hadid and expects them to come out to Monck's Corner and visit every few days. Because she's definitely an "It's all about MEEEEEE!!!" girls. (I couldn't bring myself to type "women")

. I don't understand why he doesn't buy her a house in Summerville or Moncks Corner.

He tried that. He moved her out to his plantation to live with him, and she was bored and whiney about wanting to be in town for the nightlife. So, he got the carriage house rental for them and he was on the campaign trail all the time so once again she was bored and depending on him to keep her entertained.

That's her biggest problem. She has no life of her own. She cannot find something to do with her time, she expects Thomas (or any man) to fill that void.

• Love 2

The only reason I can think of for Thomas to be having a SECOND child with Kathryn is that he really wanted an heir (son) and it's better in Charleston society to have one babymomma, rather than two.  That's all I got.  The same way some men marry pregnant girlfriends - knowing it will never last - because it's better to be divorced than to have a child *gasp* out of wedlock.  Idiots, all of them . . . 

• Love 2

He tried that. He moved her out to his plantation to live with him, and she was bored and whiney about wanting to be in town for the nightlife.

Brookland is WAY out in the boondocks, unlike Summerville which is more suburban and similar to Mount Pleasant in it's demographics and retail make up. It's a very quick drive if traffic is moving....unlike Brookland which is about an hour from downtown and is two lane roads much of the way. And she cracked me up talking about living at her parents and "being able to get what she needs out there". Please.....there's a Walmart 5 miles from her momma and daddy's house.

• Love 4