Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

36 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Damn, I don't think there can be a better eulogy than that. What a lovely post from Kevin Smith there.

Rest in peace, Stan Lee.

I concur.  I don’t think I’ve seen any of Kevin’s movies, and I’ve only seen a few Spiderman movies, but any person in any field would be honored & humbled to have a eulogy like that. We should all strive for that.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 9

When I was a kid reading Marvel Comics I would always see "Stan Lee Presents" on the front page The first comic was an old reprint issue of Fantastic Four with the first appearance of the Black Panther and besides being blown away by the awesome Jack Kirby artwork I loved the great dialogue especially from the Thing:

image.png.f29ad6f5f2fde3bb61accc818d961739.png

4 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

End of a comic book era.  R.I.P. Mr. Lee and thank you for the childhood memories (loved Marvel cartoons as a kid!)

I remember watching the Incredible Hulk cartoon in the early 80s where he narrated and first heard that distinctive voice.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

End of a comic book era.  R.I.P. Mr. Lee and thank you for the childhood memories (loved Marvel cartoons as a kid!)

Who didn't?  My brothers and I grew up with The Incredible Hulk (and his cousin She-Hulk), The Fantastic Four, Spiderman, Doctor Strange, Iron Man, The Avengers, X-Men, Thor (my particular favorite, along with the Fantastic Four) -- all of them.  He truly was an institution, and 95 is a damn good run!

Rest in Peace, Mr. Lee. THIS middle-aged True Believer kid will never forget all the joy and excitement you brought to his childhood, his adolescence, his young adulthood, and his life in general.  Thank you, and Excelsior!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 7

It's interesting the stories that come out in remembrance of someone. I've heard the same stories over and over again from my father but yesterday he told me one I'd never heard before: about how he once met Stan Lee and went to his house way back in the 60s. Apparently, his friend was dating Stan's daughter and she was having a birthday party.

• Love 4

It's been reported by Today and confirmed by her onetime costar Allison Arngrim that the performer Katherine MacGregor Little House on the Prairie's delightfully wacky and kooky villain Harriet Oleson   died on Tuesday, November 13, 2018  at age 93! She sure often put much needed OOMPH into that show! Anyway, it's somewhat hard to imagine her either living that long or dying. RIP, Miss MacGregor!

Edited by Blergh
no has
  • Love 12

I hated Little House on the Prairie, so when I had to watch it because someone else had it on, I took great delight in the wonderfully awful Harriet Olesen; she was a total "love to hate her" character, and I like that MacGregor totally embraced that and went for it in her performance.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I took great delight in the wonderfully awful Harriet Olesen; she was a total "love to hate her" character, and I like that MacGregor totally embraced that and went for it in her performance.

"Nels! Make her a widow."

R.I.P. Ms. MacGregor.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I hated Little House on the Prairie, so when I had to watch it because someone else had it on, I took great delight in the wonderfully awful Harriet Olesen; she was a total "love to hate her" character, and I like that MacGregor totally embraced that and went for it in her performance.

When I first watched the show as a kid I hated how her schemes would make Laura and the other Ingalls' lives difficult and I couldn't wait for her plots to fail and for her to get her comeuppance.  Re-watching when I was older I could really appreciate the spark she brought to the show and what a great character she was for the others to play off of.  RIP, and thank you for all the entertainment you provided over the years.

• Love 8
43 minutes ago, BetterButter said:

I only recently discovered and fell in love with his 1969 hit song "Yesterday When I was Young" which is an adaptation in English of the song "Hier Encore" by French singer Charles Aznavour in 1964. I thought the English lyrics were even better and Aznavour even recorded that version later. Baseball legend Mickey Mantle loved it so much he requested Roy sing it at his funeral in 1995.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 8
29 minutes ago, UYI said:

My mother loved Roy Clark, so I grew up listening to him, and thank goodness for that.  He was a great musician and a great person.

And now I have "Thank God and Greyhound You're Gone" in my head.  Man, I love that song.  (It was on a Roy Clark 8-track my mom had.  We used to play it a lot.)

• Love 5

Roy Clark was another of the celebrities I was fortunate to be able to meet. This time, as a “civilian”—backstage before a concert he did in my hometown before I became involved with the March of Dimes & began meeting more celebrities than I could count, sometimes faster than my mother (who was my chaperone) or I could count them. Thankfully, like most of the celebs I met, Roy Clark was very nice to a then 7-year-old girl who was attending his concert.

• Love 11
On 11/14/2018 at 12:16 PM, Bastet said:

I hated it too. I'll never forget one scene where Laura is crying and had one fake tear glued to her face.  She ran through the woods, went through ponds, fell a few times but when she finally got home, that one fake tear was still glued to her face.  After an eye roll that lasted an hour, I was done.  

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Talky Tina said:

I hated it too. I'll never forget one scene where Laura is crying and had one fake tear glued to her face.  She ran through the woods, went through ponds, fell a few times but when she finally got home, that one fake tear was still glued to her face.  After an eye roll that lasted an hour, I was done.  

Poor Jason Bateman said when he joined at 11 he had to do stuff like pull out his nose hairs or burn himself with a match just before filming in order to cry!

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, amaranta said:

William Goldman, Oscar-Winning Writer of ‘Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid,’ Dies at 87

And All The President's Men.

And Marathon Man.

And The Princess Bride.

And … more.  R.I.P. to one of the mighty kings of words.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/william-goldman-dead-dies-butch-cassidy-and-the-sundance-kid-1203030474/

Oh man, that one hurts. I loved his books in addition to his movies; The Color of Light is a great novel.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, amaranta said:

William Goldman, Oscar-Winning Writer of ‘Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid,’ Dies at 87

And Marathon Man.

And The Princess Bride.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/william-goldman-dead-dies-butch-cassidy-and-the-sundance-kid-1203030474/

Unsurpassed as a novelist, screenwriter, script doctor.  I think I read or saw everything he wrote.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, amaranta said:

And Marathon Man.

And The Princess Bride.

Besides Butch and Sundance and the The Princess Bride, I loved his screenwriting books "Adventures in the Screen Trade" and "Which Lie Did I Tell?". Besides being a guide on how to write a screenplay(structure is everything) there's so much great behind the scenes stuff. His famous observation on the Hollywood industry and movie business:

"NOBODY KNOWS ANYTHING. Not one person in the entire motion picture field knows for a certainty what's going to work. Every time out it's a guess—and, if you're lucky, an educated one."

Here's an hour-and-a-half long interview from a few years ago.

• Love 9

RIP Mr. Goldman.  I still use "Inconceivable!," "As You Wish," and "you fell victim to one of the classic blunders!" 

And the tag "...the most famous of which is getting involved in a land war in Asia" may be the best geopolitical observation in a family film.

• Love 16
On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:04 AM, amaranta said:

And Marathon Man.

And The Princess Bride.

Oh, that sucks. 

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:22 PM, amaranta said:

I can't begin to tell you how much, back in the day, I overused lines* from The Princess Bride.  When a friend or loved one was leaving to face a difficult or awkward situation, my send off was sometimes: "Have fun storming the castle!"

When confronting the obtuse or confused: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." Or: "Do you always begin conversations this way?"

Back then, and again in present day, I have said this a few times: "I'll use small words so that you'll be sure to understand, you warthog faced buffoon."

Aw, hell.  I'll just link to the Princess Bride IMDB quote page. I've been reading for a bit, and I'm laughing and getting misty at the same time. Goldman could do that.

I hope he's somewhere in a land of tall cliffs and fair seas, about to happily have fun storming the castle.

*I think I was likely hella annoying for an entire year after I read the book, and then again when the movie came out.

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:31 PM, MisterGlass said:

RIP Mr. Goldman.  I still use "Inconceivable!," "As You Wish," and "you fell victim to one of the classic blunders!" 

And the tag "...the most famous of which is getting involved in a land war in Asia" may be the best geopolitical observation in a family film.

So many great quotes!

• Love 5
On 11/15/2018 at 7:10 PM, Bunty said:

This video shows Roy Clark playing guitar on the Odd Couple and then this British guitarist explains what made Roy Clark a great Guitarist.

That performance brought me to tears it was so beautiful. 

• Love 10
On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:54 AM, Inquisitionist said:

The outpouring of Tweets re Mr. Goldman's passing is a thing to behold.  My favorite observation is that people think Deep Throat actually told Bob Woodward to "Follow the money."  Goldman created that iconic line for the film version of All the President's Men.

I rewatched All The President's Men yesterday and was knocked out by the precision of the script and the underplaying of Redford and Hoffman.

Now on to Marathon Man and Princess Bride!

• Love 11