Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, roamyn said:

It actually doesn’t surprise me.

For all her sweetness, she was one hell of a fighter, having beaten cancer twice.

Grease is my daughter’s favorite movie, even though she was born in 1985.  I’ll bet this one guts her.

RIP sweet angel, help make the Heavens sing.

I just watched the Behind the Scenes about Olivia Newton John yesterday.  Surprisingly thorough and I have no idea what compelled me to watch it.  That being said, she shared that she beat cancer THREE times.  There was one other instance that she did not share publicly at the time.  

I'm with @roamyn in that she was one amazing fighter and an incredible person all around.  She's said that her greatest achievement in life was starting The Olivia Newton-John Cancer Research Institute

Quite the legacy.  RIP

• Love 9

Entertainment Tonight would occasionally check in on Olivia over the past few years.  When they would ask about her health, it didn't really seem like things were going great, but she always maintained a positive attitude and said that she was feeling well. 

A more obscure role I remember was a guest appearance as herself on the short-lived '90s sitcom Ned and Stacey.  Stacey (Debra Messing) was in debt and didn't want a loan from her husband-for-convenience Ned (Thomas Haden Church), so she was trying to be a waitress.  She worked at the same place where Ned was wooing Olivia to be a spokesperson for an ad campaign, and was both incredibly inept and extremely annoying.  During her frequent intrusions, Stacey kept trying to win Olivia's favor by sharing that she had played Sandy in a high school production of Grease.  Olivia handled it sweetly and gracefully the first several times; but finally had enough after about the fourth time (and I think having food spilled all over her) and blurted out, "Oh really?  Well, I was in the bloody movie!!"  It was a hilarious outburst.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Grease remains one of my favorite movies. I didn’t hear too much of Olivia Newton-John’s other music since it was before my time (I have passing familiarity with the titles and lyrics, though), but I also loved her guest appearance on Glee performing Physical alongside Sue/Jane Lynch (who I also adore). The stint was clearly played for laughs, but it just worked so well. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Also, blasphemy to some, but I always thought her version of Country Roads was the best version.

That was beautiful.  Wasn't she originally a country music singer before switching to pop? Did she ever do a collaboration with Linda Rondstad like Linda did with Dolly Parton and Emmylou Harris? If not, there was a missed opportunity. 

• Love 2

Lamont Dozier, Motown songwriter, dies aged 81.

As one third of Holland–Dozier–Holland, the Detroit musician was responsible for some of Motown’s biggest hits of the 1960s, including the Supremes' Baby Love, and You Keep Me Hanging On. After leaving Holland–Dozier–Holland in 1973, Dozier focused on his solo career, with one of his early singles, Going Back To My Roots, later becoming a huge success for disco group Odyssey in 1981. Seven years later Dozier collaborated with Phil Collins on the US No 1 Two Hearts, winning the pair a Golden Globe and a Grammy. Dozier also worked with other British artists during the 80s, including Alison Moyet and Simply Red.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Sad 14
3 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

A more obscure role I remember was a guest appearance as herself on the short-lived '90s sitcom Ned and Stacey.  Stacey (Debra Messing) was in debt and didn't want a loan from her husband-for-convenience Ned (Thomas Haden Church), so she was trying to be a waitress.  She worked at the same place where Ned was wooing Olivia to be a spokesperson for an ad campaign, and was both incredibly inept and extremely annoying.  During her frequent intrusions, Stacey kept trying to win Olivia's favor by sharing that she had played Sandy in a high school production of Grease.  Olivia handled it sweetly and gracefully the first several times; but finally had enough after about the fourth time (and I think having food spilled all over her) and blurted out, "Oh really?  Well, I was in the bloody movie!!"  It was a hilarious outburst.

https://www.onlyolivia.com/visual/tv/90/95/95nedstacey/

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I don't care how pathetic this makes me, but it's taken a day for me to gather my thoughts about Olivia's passing.

As someone who also is a cancer survivor, I was so hoping she'd beat Cancer's FUCKING ASS again. Grease was my first introduction to her, and problematic, schlobematic, it's a GREAT movie with an even more awesome soundtrack. I can watch that movie over and over again, and not feel an ounce of guilt.

I got the soundtrack to Xanadu before I saw the movie--my parents had gotten me this Barbie microphone--which if you tuned it to some AM station, you could hear yourself sing. And I sang my wee tween heart out to Magic. I saw that godawful movie TWICE. All for Olivia and her singing and of course, ELO. Even saw that horrid movie with John Travolta in Two of a Kind.  Horrid movie aside, the song Twist of Fate is AWESOME.

My biggest regret is that I never got to see her perform live in concert. I loved her rendition of Jolene, not knowing at the time, it was a cover, and that Dolly had released it. Don't care.

I played that cassette of Xanadu until it wore out and my dad bought me another one. He even brought it to India, where I was visiting during the school year. He came later, but me, my mom, and sister had gone a couple months earlier.

So yeah, HUGE Olivia Newton-John fan here.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 18

@GHScorpiosRule I too was hoping she’d best cancer. She fought it for 30 years, I thought for sure that it was a good sign that she made it that long.

20 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

"Magic" is my favorite ONJ song ever. It's just gorgeous (it's a shame it came from Xanadu, but I won't hold that against her). I also find "Physical" an utter hoot.

We will all miss this talented, classy lady. 

On my way home from work they were playing “Physical” on the 80s XM radio. So of course when got home I put on “Magic.” It is such an earworm in the best possible way.

And yes, as much as I’ve come to despise Glee her cameo and duet with Jane Lynch was one of the best parts of the show.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 8

I love the Xanadu soundtrack. I still watch the singing parts of the movie. Her outfits and the ribbons in her hair were beautiful. She and Gene Kelly were amazing in a not-so-great movie.

Remember the scene in Friends when Phoebe was scolding the guys for turning into couch potatoes until Xanadu came on? LOL

Anyone remember Koala Blue? My sister and I loved looking at the merchandise but we were broke teenagers at the time. My sister managed to buy a t-shirt though. I think it was sadly given away during a purge when moving. 

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Remember the scene in Friends when Phoebe was scolding the guys for turning into couch potatoes until Xanadu came on? LOL

image.gif.e475fa236ed55e0ec3b9757b17b56bfe.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

He really was an incredible writer.

He was also a very good narrator and orator.  I’ve seen him in several things, he had a great radio voice.

• Love 5

Yes. I love Xanadu. 1980 at its cheesiest finest. 

I loved Olivia Newton-John. Another part of my childhood gone. I remember getting Tiger Beat and looking for stories of her first instead of checking for my tween crushes, lol. 

One of my faves I didn't see mentioned was Make A Move On Me. I loved all her songs except for her biggest one, Physical. I always hated that song but I'm glad she made it. You go girl!

RIP Olivia. 

• Love 6

Olivia Newton-John was a trailblazer in the art of pop reinvention.

After breaking out as a country star, she rode the changing moods of pop, through rock, electronic and, of course, the film musical – pre-empting the visual album along the way.

While she faded from the pop mainstream, her peers knew when credit was due: Mariah Carey invited her to perform Hopelessly Devoted to You live in Australia in 1998; Dua Lipa’s 2020 single Physical is evidently (shamelessly) indebted to Newton-John’s hit of the same name. “Since I was 10 years old, I have loved and looked up to Olivia Newton-John,” Kylie Minogue tweeted. “And I always will.” And even without those namechecks, Newton-John’s legacy endures: as one of the earliest women in pop to embrace different eras, genres, sounds and even self-presentation, she lives on in the DNA of every female pop star’s self-reinvention.

• Sad 1
  • Love 7

I have no emotional connection to Grease or Olivia Newton John's music in general, but the timeline of her battle with breast cancer and metastasis is fairly similar to my mom's (my mom is, to her oncologist's utter amazement, doing well these days), so I really feel for Olivia and her family having gone through it for so long.  It's terribly difficult for all. 

I know a couple of people who organized charity events Olivia participated in, and both remarked at the time how refreshingly kind and easygoing she was.  You don't want anyone to suffer cancer and die at 73, but it extra stings when it's a genuinely good person.

• Hugs 4
  • Sad 6
  • Love 6
16 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Also, blasphemy to some, but I always thought her version of Country Roads was the best version.

As beautiful as that is, John Denver will always be my "Country Roads" favorite.

Both gone too soon...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't care how pathetic this makes me, but it's taken a day for me to gather my thoughts about Olivia's passing.

As someone who also is a cancer survivor, I was so hoping she'd beat Cancer's FUCKING ASS again. Grease was my first introduction to her, and problematic, schlobematic, it's a GREAT movie with an even more awesome soundtrack. I can watch that movie over and over again, and not feel an ounce of guilt.

I got the soundtrack to Xanadu before I saw the movie--my parents had gotten me this Barbie microphone--which if you tuned it to some AM station, you could hear yourself sing. And I sang my wee tween heart out to Magic. I saw that godawful movie TWICE. All for Olivia and her singing and of course, ELO. Even saw that horrid movie with John Travolta in Two of a Kind.  Horrid movie aside, the song Twist of Fate is AWESOME.

My biggest regret is that I never got to see her perform live in concert. I loved her rendition of Jolene, not knowing at the time, it was a cover, and that Dolly had released it. Don't care.

I played that cassette of Xanadu until it wore out and my dad bought me another one. He even brought it to India, where I was visiting during the school year. He came later, but me, my mom, and sister had gone a couple months earlier.

So yeah, HUGE Olivia Newton-John fan here.

I was driving around listening to “Magic” today. 

• Love 4

We were discussing a while back good and bad celebrities. No one had anything bad to say about ONJ, ever. Which is pretty remarkable in a 60ish year long career. The Grease soundtrack was the first album (actual vinyl album) I owned. Although I always skipped side 3 because it was just the ShaNaNa songs. Xanadu was extremely silly, even for the time, but I could buy her as a Muse. I always liked the theme song.

I was also reminded of the mysterious disappearance of her on-off boyfriend Patrick McDermott in 2005. He was presumed dead after a fishing trip but the body was never found so rumors persist that he faked his death and ran away.

• Love 6
On 8/9/2022 at 12:37 AM, roamyn said:

I just read his story on the Johnstown flood of 1889.

Once I was reading McCullough's The Johnstown Flood while on an airplane. A flight attendant passed by, suddenly stopped, and asked me if we could chat for quick second.  Turned out he was born and raised in Johnstown! R.I.P. Mr. Cullough. 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I was also reminded of the mysterious disappearance of her on-off boyfriend Patrick McDermott in 2005. He was presumed dead after a fishing trip but the body was never found so rumors persist that he faked his death and ran away.

I read the entire link.  While I only vaguely remember his story, there doesn't appear to be anything remotely provable regarding his "faked" death.  I will acknowledge that it's odd that a charter fishing vessel with 22 guests plus crew wouldn't notice someone going ovrboard or becoming 'lost at sea'.  Really tough for his surviving son.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I will acknowledge that it's odd that a charter fishing vessel with 22 guests plus crew wouldn't notice someone going ovrboard or becoming 'lost at sea'. 

I can believe it after reading about Tom and Eileen Lonergan. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 2
On 8/9/2022 at 1:37 AM, roamyn said:

I just read his story on the Johnstown flood of 1889.

Thank you for this as I'd never heard of the book!  My family is from around there and I've been to the museum on the site.  They play a movie there about the flood (which my nephew-in-law snored through) and the background is the sound of water constantly dripping...drip, drip, drip...and it creeped me out for a week.

I still have the soundtrack on vinyl

This was my house cleaning album.  Crank it up and dance and dust, dance and dust. 

I work in a clothing warehouse and I needed to let my coworkers know that two racks of clothes were all one incoming order.  I put a sign between them that had musical notes and wrote just,"We go together...." and I was surprised how many people got the reference.

Lorenzo Lamas was quite the hottie in that movie.

I read Olivia's autobiography and it turned out that we had a common ancestor (albeit back in the 1400s) so ever since she's been "Cousin Olivia" to me.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 8/10/2022 at 7:33 AM, MissAlmond said:

Once I was reading McCullough's The Johnstown Flood while on an airplane.

A few years back I was reading his biography on the Wright Brothers while on an airplane, wondering what they would think about how far aviation had come from their humble start in Kitty Hawk.

• Love 5

However you feel about the circumstances surrounding her death, I always liked her as an actress, even from back in the day when she was on Another World in the late 80s/early 90s.

May she Rest in Peace.

• Love 11
38 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

However you feel about the circumstances surrounding her death, I always liked her as an actress, even from back in the day when she was on Another World in the late 80s/early 90s.

May she Rest in Peace.

I liked her are on another world also. 
She seemed to be a very troubled woman I don’t know much about it whether it was drugs or mental illness .
I do hope also, that the innocent woman who lost her home and all of her possessions in the house Fire gets some restitution from the estate. 

• Love 5

She seemed to be a very troubled woman I don’t know much about it whether it was drugs or mental illness .

Being raped by her father was a factor, I would imagine.

• Like 1
  • Sad 11
27 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

I liked her are on another world also. 
I do hope also, that the innocent woman who lost her home and all of her possessions in the house Fire gets some restitution from the estate. 

Addiction is also a disease, like mental or physical illness. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10

So sad, only 53.

I didn't know about Anne's childhood. There are difficult childhood's, and there is Anne's. No child should ever go through a fraction of what she did. It was inhumane. 

My heart goes out to all her loved ones. 

• Love 14