Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

I thought it was such a coincidence that Ed Asner, Gavin MacLeod and Betty White, all of the MTM show, died last year, but after watching the Memoriam on the SAG Awards tonight, I saw that Charlie Robinson and Markie Post, both of Night Court, also died last year.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

That was beautiful....only annoyance is the audience clapping, if you're not gonna clap for all of the departed then wait for the segment to end before clapping.

I agree. Memoriam segments shouldn't be popularity contests.

• Love 13
7 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

SAG Awards 2022 In Memoriam.

Now that's the way to do an In Memoriam segment.  No annoying live music, or cuts to the annoying singer.  Just show us nice pictures and clips of those who have died. 

• Love 11
7 hours ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

only annoyance is the audience clapping, if you're not gonna clap for all of the departed then wait for the segment to end before clapping.

ITA. Matter of fact, I thought years ago award shows started muting the audience during the segment, but maybe I'm wrong. 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 6

I just found out that Bamber Gascoigne died a few weeks ago.  He was best known as the host of the fiendishly difficult, long-running British TV quiz show University Challenge.  (The show that was the basis for the charming movie Starter for Ten, which is a catchphrase from the show.)

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/feb/08/bamber-gascoigne-obituary

Fun Fact: Stephen Fry was on University Challenge when he was a student at Cambridge.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

Law and Order: SVU and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel actor Ned Eisenberg has died, age 65.

Cancer strikes again.  I like that his wife drew attention to this:

Over the course of two years, he bravely fought the cancers in private while continuing to work in show business to ensure that his medical coverage paid for himself and his family.”

SAG-AFTRA provides good health insurance - for those who qualify.  In an industry in which work is inherently sporadic for most, someone can spend years on end meeting or even dramatically exceeding the minimum requirement, have one bad year, and suddenly be out of luck for the next year.  (A high-profile example of the fundamental problem with tying health insurance to employment.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Cancer strikes again.  I like that his wife drew attention to this:

SAG-AFTRA provides good health insurance - for those who qualify.  In an industry in which work is inherently sporadic for most, someone can spend years on end meeting or even dramatically exceeding the minimum requirement, have one bad year, and suddenly be out of luck for the next year.  (A high-profile example of the fundamental problem with tying health insurance to employment.)

But the reason health insurance is tied to employment is because it is much more affordable at group rates than it would be individually. I don't know anything about insurance issues for actors, but no one would force them to enroll in an employer offered plan. Everyone is welcome to pay for insurance on theirown if they choose to.

• Love 3

Ned Eisenberg was a staple on Law and Order. His voice was distinctive and his acting was quite good. I am sad that the Law and Order universe has lost two long running recurring defense attorneys. First Jason Rebhorn and now Eisenberg....

• Love 5
4 hours ago, AgathaC said:

I admit, I kind of hated her character on Wings, but that has nothing to do with her as a person. I’m so sorry to hear this. Fifty-four is way too young.

It's being said that she was a sweet girl, from those that knew her.

• Love 7
On 3/2/2022 at 2:27 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Farrah Forke has passed at 54.  Went to school as a youngster in my area.  

farrah-forke-wings-and-lois-clark-actor-dies-at-54

I’m so sad about this.  Cancer, man.  😔  I always enjoyed Wings, and it is impossible to overstate how much I loved  Lois & Clark during her run on the show (during Season 2), so she was huge part of my 90s TV experience.  Her poor sons.

(edited)
4 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

I really liked him as the levelheaded eldest brother in the first couple of M3S seasons I saw on DVD. His first wife was Charlotte Stewart, who went on to fame in Little House on the Prairie among other shows. May he RIP.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Actor Tim Considine who starred in the Spin and Marty serials and played the eldest Douglas brother in My Three Sons before leaving the show has died, age 81.

Ah that's too bad!  I recently started watching the seasons of My Three Sons that he was in and he is head and shoulders the best actor of the three brothers.  I'd seen him in various Disney shows that reran on Wonderful World of Disney over the years.  Glad to read he went on to have a good career after the kid star phase of his life ended.

Adding my two cents about Tim Considine: Growing up, I watched the later seasons of My Three Sons when they were first run. So as far as I knew, the brothers were Robbie, Chip, and Ernie (and their co-parent was Uncle Charley). It wasn't until much later that I found out there was once another brother, who was written off the show. I guess he went off to college and was never seen again, even when his dad remarried. (Chuck Cunningham syndrome!) Too bad--I really liked Mike (and the very young Chip was adorable!)

• Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

To me he was best known as Greg's dad in Dharma and Greg

Same here, and I loved him in that role; he and Susan Sullivan were great together, and whenever all the parents shared a scene - Sullivan, Ryan, Mimi Kennedy, and Alan Rachins - the show was at its best.

Prior to that, I most associated him with the abusive jerk he played in an episode of The Golden Girls, so it was refreshing to enjoy him so much as Edward Montgomery.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Noooo, not Booga or what he was more commonly known as, Buffalo Butt!

Rest well, sir.

And he and his only wife June Russell Brown had been married for 61 years up to his death- a rare thing in the entertainment industry and I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to his daughter Sharon's post that he was a dedicated husband and father to their family. BTW, he later said that he felt the constant use of his character's tag 'Buffalo Butt' somewhat overwhelmed the latter part of Good Times but, at the time, he didn't want to rock the boat since he had to support his wife and two children. Also, according to Jimmie Walker's bio, he was one of the few cast members that  other man considered to be a friend since he was a fellow comedian so I guess that's something.  IMO, even as early as his Laugh-In days, he always seemed more intelligent than the material. 84 is an impressive age to reach- especially for someone who was notably overweight for a good part of his life. RIP, Mr. Brown (as his family most certainly would  prefer him to be termed). 

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

Considering that the late Mr. Considine DID write a rather thorough book about his latter day passion (race cars), it's a bit surprising  that he didn't appear to attempt to write his own autobio about having grown up in Hollywood as the scion of two cinema chain dynasties  and having been a child then teen icon performer- to say nothing of expressing his POV about his adult life including his 1st marriage to Charlotte Stewart and the family he'd made with his 2nd wife but I guess he decided in the end that it wouldn't have been in his (or his loved ones' ) best interests to have done so. BTW, he also became a talented photographer and even took the most contemporary photograph of his ex to be used for HER autobio (in which she DID wax about his earlier life, what had attracted him to her and why their union collapsed then how they [and his 2nd wife] became friends). 81 is a good age to reach so RIP, Mr. Considine!  

• Useful 5
15 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Adding my two cents about Tim Considine: Growing up, I watched the later seasons of My Three Sons when they were first run. So as far as I knew, the brothers were Robbie, Chip, and Ernie (and their co-parent was Uncle Charley). It wasn't until much later that I found out there was once another brother, who was written off the show. I guess he went off to college and was never seen again, even when his dad remarried. (Chuck Cunningham syndrome!) Too bad--I really liked Mike (and the very young Chip was adorable!)

I grew up watching the show when it was in syndication, and for some reason the black and white years of the show were not included in that package.  The show always began in color at Mike's wedding (which allowed the character to exit but oddly enough never visit or contact the family!) and Ernie looking to find a new family to live with.  It wasn't until the show came on Nick at Night (and more recently, ME-TV) before I got to see those episodes.  I had heard he was on other TV shows previously and afterwards (and some films as well) before focusing on other interests.  He shall be very much missed in all forms!

So sorry to hear about Bookman dying (I remember all those Buffalo Butt jokes) and the loss of Mitchell Ryan (I used to love Dharma & Greg and right now Decades is running the original Dark Shadows from the B/W years).

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Blergh said:

And he and his only wife June Russell Brown had been married for 61 years up to his death- a rare thing in the entertainment industry and I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to his daughter Sharon's post that he was a dedicated husband and father to their family. BTW, he later said that he felt the constant use of his character's tag 'Buffalo Butt' somewhat overwhelmed the latter part of Good Times but, at the time, he didn't want to rock the boat since he had to support his wife and two children. Also, according to Jimmie Walker's bio, he was one of the few cast members that  other man considered to be a friend since he was a fellow comedian so I guess that's something.  IMO, even as early as his Laugh-In days, he always seemed more intelligent than the material. 84 is an impressive age to reach- especially for someone who was notably overweight for a good part of his life. RIP, Mr. Brown (as his family most certainly would  prefer him to be termed). 

I always felt bad for him with the numerous fat jokes and the fact that Bookman was basically always a one-note buffoon. Still, Mr. Brown gave it his all and from everything I've read, was a great guy and devoted family man. May he RIP. 🙏💖

• Love 11

Lovely tribute to Louie Anderson.

Over the years, I attended hundreds of Louie’s shows and saw him interact with thousands of fans. I can’t think of a single time when he was anything but gracious during those encounters ― no matter how inconvenient they may have been. He had a way of talking to fans that made it clear they were the most important thing in the world to him. Every good comedian is relatable, but Louie was also approachable.

There was the woman in St. Louis who tentatively approached him after a show to thank him for saving her life. She struggled with an alcoholic father, as Louie himself had, and during a particularly rough time, she watched Louie’s comedy special over and over to remind herself she was not alone.

There was the 20-year-old kid in Las Vegas who asked for a picture after a show. “Where are you from?” Louie asked. “I came here from Romania during my school break in hopes of meeting you,” he replied. It turns out that Louie’s cartoon “Life with Louie” was still popular in Romania, and this kid watched it as an escape from a rough childhood.

There was the older gentleman who greeted Louie after a show in Wisconsin to say that he was dying of pancreatic cancer and only had a couple of months to live. He took his daughter to the show and thanked Louie for making him laugh so hard he forgot about his devastating diagnosis for an hour or so.

There was the 20-year-old kid in Las Vegas who asked for a picture after a show. “Where are you from?” Louie asked. “I came here from Romania during my school break in hopes of meeting you,” he replied. It turns out that Louie’s cartoon “Life with Louie” was still popular in Romania, and this kid watched it as an escape from a rough childhood.

There was the older gentleman who greeted Louie after a show in Wisconsin to say that he was dying of pancreatic cancer and only had a couple of months to live. He took his daughter to the show and thanked Louie for making him laugh so hard he forgot about his devastating diagnosis for an hour or so.

• Love 21

Game Of Thrones actor John Stahl dies aged 68.

The Scottish actor played the role of Rickard Karstark in two series of the popular HBO fantasy show. He was also well known for playing Inverdarroch in the long-running soap opera Take The High Road.

Stahl, who was from Sauchie in Clackmannanshire, also appeared in numerous theatre productions during his career, including performances at The Royal Shakespeare Company and The National Theatre.