Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Domestic Assassin said:

Aw, damn.  I love so many of her songs, particularly "It's a Hard Life Wherever You Go", and saw her perform at a few folk festivals over the years.  She was tremendously talented, especially as a songwriter.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I clicked on the ^Jane Withers link above, and scrolled to the Josephine The Plumber ad video.  I noticed a familiar co-star.  Do you recognize him?

Jake Gyllenhaal ? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I noticed a familiar co-star.  Do you recognize him?

The video title is "Comet Commercial with Josephine the Plumber and Robbie Benson", so I assume it's Robbie Benson, but I have no idea who that is.  (I looked him up on IMDb, and there are more than one, so I still don't know.  This guy?)

• Love 1

Robbie Benson of Ice Castles, Death Be Not Proud, and One on One.   Those are the things I remember him from.  I don't think I've seen him in anything in the past 3 decades, but according to his IMDB page, he's been working steadily.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Calvada said:

Robbie Benson of Ice Castles, Death Be Not Proud, and One on One.   Those are the things I remember him from.

He was also Sabrina's father Edward Spellman in the 90s version of the TV show, not to mention the voice of The Beast in Beauty & The Beast.  He was a kind of teen heartthrob too back in the day.

He also did this commercial with another future TV star:

• Love 4

Oh geez when I saw Robbie Benson’s name on this thread, for a horrible second I thought he died too! But then I scrolled up and say he was just mentioned because he was in that Jane Withers commercial. Whew! Don’t scare me like that!

• LOL 3
  • Love 9
17 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

He had gorgeous eyes. 

Mr. Benson still does   because, as his autobio was titled he's 'not dead yet' despite having to have dealt with serious heart issues for decades. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Oh geez when I saw Robbie Benson’s name on this thread, for a horrible second I thought he died too! But then I scrolled up and say he was just mentioned because he was in that Jane Withers commercial. Whew! Don’t scare me like that!

SAME!

Geez, hasn't this year been shitty enough without thinking my dear, darling Beast keeled over?!?

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 8

Also Robby Benson is still married to Karla DeVito, who is one of Jim Steinman's singer alumni and lip synced in most of Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell music videos. The original singer is Ellen Foley. Karla would later sing on some Steinman productions, including her solo album from 1981 and Jim Steinman's only album from that same year! She also provided vocals to Todd Rundgren and Blue Oyster Cult. Quite a career as well! Like Robbie himself!

Edited by letter8358
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, magicdog said:

Mr. Hall's original name was Thomas Hall (with no actual middle name) but he simply added the 'T.' to make his billing more memorable than his just his nickname of Tom with his surname. 

He seemed to be a pleasant person to have known if one had reason to know him and I like that he refused to let Bob. Dylan's remarks praising Kris Kristofferson while putting Mr. Hall down start any kind of feud between himself and his longtime friend Mr. Kristofferson. RIP, Mr. Hall.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Blergh said:

I like that he refused to let Bob. Dylan's remarks praising Kris Kristofferson while putting Mr. Hall down start any kind of feud between himself and his longtime friend Mr. Kristofferson.

The funny part is when questioned about that, Dylan claimed, "What was THAT all about?".

Either he was in a drug induced haze when he put Hall down or he WAS trying to stir up something.  

• Useful 2

I just saw on Facebook that American humorist (and public speaker) Jeanne Robertson has passed (that's how you have to say it, according to her.  Not died, not passed away, but 'passed' -- while you bow your head).  I loved her videos and hate that I was never able to go see her in person. And her husband Jerry (aka 'Left brain') passed just this past June.

I'll miss watching new videos, but I'll be re-watching my favorites online, including 'Don't bunjee jump naked' and the very first one I ever saw 'Don't sent a man to the grocery store'.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

I'm a city girl, but there was a time in the 70's when I listened to a lot of country music. I liked Tom T. Hall's "I Love," "Watermelon Wine," "I Like Beer," "Sneaky Snake," "I Care," "The Year Clayton Delaney Died," and "The Son of Clayton Delaney." The only one I didn't care for was "Faster Horses."

And I enjoyed Jeane Robertson's story of her husband's trip to the grocery store, and her "Vanilla Milkshake" tale ranks up there with the famous "Wheat Toast" scene from Five Easy Pieces.

• Love 4

Tom T. Hall…..so much talent. RIP Mr. Hall.  I recall that this was one of the first songs that I learned every word to as a kid.  I fantasized I was Jeannie C. Riley and the singer performing the huge hit.  Lol 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, BooksRule said:

the very first one I ever saw 'Don't sent a man to the grocery store'.  

When I saw a Jeanne Robertson video pop up in my YouTube recommendations, the freeze frame looked to me like a church lady talkin' Jesus, and since I'm an atheist I wondered what whack-ass algorithm selected it for me.  Curious, I clicked on it, and it was the grocery store story.  Hilarious!  I watched several more; she was very funny (and didn't preach, but her clothes and the backdrop always made me think that was coming - I'm glad I didn't let that stop me from watching).

• Love 7
1 hour ago, BooksRule said:

I just saw on Facebook that American humorist (and public speaker) Jeanne Robertson has passed (that's how you have to say it, according to her.  Not died, not passed away, but 'passed' -- while you bow your head).  I loved her videos and hate that I was never able to go see her in person. And her husband Jerry (aka 'Left brain') passed just this past June.

I'll miss watching new videos, but I'll be re-watching my favorites online, including 'Don't bunjee jump naked' and the very first one I ever saw 'Don't sent a man to the grocery store'.  

And she was t h e tallest Miss America Contestant  at 6'2"

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Leeds said:

Don Everly of the Everly Brothers died today aged 84.

My mother talks about me singing in my crib to their songs "Cup a choosi" apparently.  I've always liked the Everly Brothers.  Damn.  RIP, Don.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I had never heard of her before, but just listened to the story you posted. I howled with laughter, the cats went flying into another room, and the tears from laughing so hard are running down my face. Thank you for sharing it and may she RIP (chin down with sad look). 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I had never heard of her before, but just listened to the story you posted. I howled with laughter, the cats went flying into another room, and the tears from laughing so hard are running down my face. Thank you for sharing it and may she RIP (chin down with sad look). 

Agreed. Now that's what you call a humorist (she reminded me of Erma Bombeck, whom I loved as a kid for some reason, and went to see her speak at some point in my teens). This type of comedy seems rare these days, so thanks to @BooksRule for sharing that. I'm sorry this wonderful woman has passed (chin down).  

• Love 11
3 hours ago, rubaco said:

Agreed. Now that's what you call a humorist (she reminded me of Erma Bombeck, whom I loved as a kid for some reason, and went to see her speak at some point in my teens). This type of comedy seems rare these days, so thanks to @BooksRule for sharing that. I'm sorry this wonderful woman has passed (chin down).  

I loved Erma Bombeck too and read her books as well loved her when she got to go on a chat show. She was witty. I prefer this humor over some of what I see that passes for comedy these days. (Chin down). 

• Love 9
8 hours ago, CherryMalotte said:

Many years ago my mom dragged this punky alternative chickie to see the Everly Brothers in concert.

My parents were children of the '50s so they loved the music from that era and raised me with it as well.  When the Everlys had their reunion concert at Albert Hall in 1983, it was broadcast on HBO and Dad and I watched with great enjoyment.  I couldn't wait to get their first album together after that, "EB '84" which had some great songs (including "On  The Wings of a Nightingale" written by Paul McCartney).  

They also came to play live at the Hard Rock in Vegas so Dad and I definitely couldn't miss them!  Mom and Dad were too poor to go to concerts when they were young, and I thought it was a great bonding moment for us.

16 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

My mother talks about me singing in my crib to their songs "Cup a choosi" apparently.

"Wake Up Little Susie".  I used to use that song to wake up my little sister for school (to this day she STILL doesn't do mornings!).

Edited by magicdog
  • LOL 4
  • Love 14