Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

When it initially aired, I thought Hill Street Blues was a great show. Then I found out Bochco found inspiration from the police station just a couple of blocks away from my grandmother's apartment in Pittsburgh's Hill District. 

That raised it to a new level.

• Love 9

Babette, and also, Cara: the mistress of Alex, Lord Marchmain (Lawrence Olivier) in the 11-episode 1981 Brideshead Revisited. The scene in Venice where Cara, as an oracular Frenchwoman, continually confounds Charles, the artist as a very young and very English man. Just enough of an artist to have remembered every word, 20 years later: part of the impression made by Audran's unsparing yet compassionate manner. 

• Love 2

Susan Anspach, of Hair onstage (in its first production), Five Easy Pieces on film and, on television, The Yellow Rose, Space and The Slap Maxwell Story. A fractured childhood and something strong and bright inside: visible on camera, perplexing to Hollywood even in the 70's and 80's, and cherished by her students.

• Love 6
(edited)
3 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Chuck McCann has died.   He was a legend of childen's television in New York City, but did a lot of character work in his later years - he played a judge on The Good Wife, for example.

https://www.facebook.com/chuck.mccann1

OMG. Just looked him up. He was in Ducktales along with a lot of other really good roles.  RIP sir.

18 hours ago, BetterButter said:

RIP sir.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 1
(edited)

Soon-Tek Oh popped up in so many TV shows and movies.  My brother and I used to look for him in episodes of M*A*S*H--he seemed to be in so many of them.  I checked--according to imdb.com, he was in five episodes, playing a different character each time).  I also remember him from 'The Man with the Golden Gun' and 'The Final Countdown' (anyone else remember that movie with James Farentino and Martin Sheen?).  I had no idea he was so influential in Asian-American theater. 

Edited by BooksRule
imdb, not imbd
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

OMG. Just looked him up. He was in Ducktales along with a lot of other really good roles.  RIP sir.

RIP sir.

I remember him taking the 'Skipper' role to Bob Denver's 1970's Saturday   morning live-action sitcom Far Out Space Nuts. By no means did they have close to the same chemistry as the late Messrs. Denver and Hale on Gilligan's Island but Mr. McCann did the best anyone could have done with the paper thin material and crackerbox budget.

• Love 5
50 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

It’s a shame that the Comedy Store closes with her passing. She gave so many comedians a platform to hone their skills. 

I think they mean it will be closed today as a tribute, not that it wilk shut down forever.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Willowsmom said:

I think they mean it will be closed today as a tribute, not that it wilk shut down forever.

I reread it and think that you are correct. Mea culpa. It’s an institution in LA and I’m glad that it’s going to continue be there. Thank you WILLOWSMOM

• Love 1

Milo Forman made some wonderful films. My favorites of his: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Amadeus, The People vs Larry Flynt, Ragtime, and Man on the Moon.  He really didn't do another major picture after that last one - I figured Jim Carrey broke him.

RIP sir.

• Love 4

R. Lee Ermey has died - complications from pneumonia.

He made every scene he was in better.

R.Lee Ermey has died

Statement from R. Lee Ermey's long time manager, Bill Rogin:It is with deep sadness that I regret to inform you all that R. Lee Ermey ("The Gunny") passed away this morning from complications of pneumonia. He will be greatly missed by all of us.Semper Fi, Gunny. Godspeed.

Edited by spiderpig
  • Love 3

I think the two best non-actors who became actors are Dennis Farina and R. Lee Ermey. Of course the first role was a bit of a cheat, since he was an actual DI, but he proved his greater range in movies like Seven and Mississippi Burning.

RIP.

• Love 9
Just now, Spartan Girl said:

Geez he played pretty much every movie army sergeant ever. I'll always remember him as the toy soldier  in Toy Story.

Same here! I grew up watching him as Sarge in Toy Story. RIP sir and thanks.

• Love 4

Re R. Lee Ermey - Mr. pig enlisted in the Marine Corps back in the 60s.  He says today's young whippersnappers would find it hard to believe that DI punishment was that harsh  back in the day.  He was beaten black and blue with a 2x4 for failing a target practice.  Of course he'll be a Marine until the day he dies, and revered RLE and his realistic portrayal of a DI.  We raised a glass to him together in respect.

Edited by spiderpig
  • Love 6

I first saw Gunny Ermy as the platoon sergeant in Purple Hearts. Saw FMJ in the theater and while everyone else was horrified by GySgt Hartman antics, myself and the other Marines in the audience were laughing our asses off remembering what our Drill Instructors  did to us! RIP Gunny...... Semper Fi. 

Edited by Snowprince
  • Love 8